MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Citronella cream huh? Interesting! Suppose the Citronella essential oil it could be added to a spray bottle with water? Hummmm.

Yep, but it sure feels good once you've already been bit! LOL I smear it behind my knees, on my hips, and around my ankles...that seems to be where them skeeters like to bite :-( But...sometimes I have to spray the nasty stuff on my "shocking pink" gum boots and on the legs of my britches if I'm in the gardening area or out hiking with MrWE2...it's that stuff "Perimithin" (sp?) ... anyway I keep certain clothes that have been treated with that. And I also keep some of the high concentrated sprays with Deet...in the truck, in the house, in the motorhome, in the travel trailer, in this house, in the roost and at the Homestead. Wish I didn't have such a reaction to insect bites, but I do. So...I do what I can to avoid suffering for a bite for nearly 2 weeks :-(

Citronella cream huh? Interesting! Suppose the Citronella essential oil it could be added to a spray bottle with water? Hummmm.

Oh...it's coconut oil, petroleum jelly, vicks vapo rub, citronella essential oil and t-tree oil...mixed up real good :-)

Coconut oil is wonderful to put on bites..tick or mosquito..takes the itch out.......

I have found nothing to keep them off me so I stay inside when they are the worst.

They have been swarming like bees here.

I suffer with mosquito bites too. They swell up the size of a dime and itch like crazy for a week. They look like a big chicken pox on me. I try to avoid them as much as I can but sometimes the little buggers still get me.

Mosquitoes here seem to be rather innocuous. But I got bit by horseflies...I think. OW! Yep, looked like chicken pox...2 on one arm.

MtRider.....one big advantage of high altitude and arid climate. Not many bugs....except moths and spiders. :animal0017:

I dread the mosquito population after all the flooding...in all states. We'll be putting off a "bomb" under the front porch at the Homestead since it flooded up under the raised/covered porch. We did see an outfit at WM that one could suit up in if they had to be out in a mosquito season. Didn't buy one but sure have been thinking about it...shtf?

I haven't thought too much about mosquitos this year. Mostly because I've been inside because of all rain we've had. Now I'm thinking about all the rain we've had. Mosquito heaven! I suppose that will be next. If it ain't one thing....

I don't think I've ever ben bitten by a horse fly. They leave a hole??? Yikes. Gadfly sounds familiar. Is that the one that can leave an egg inside you to grow? Shudder. I have been bitten by a regular fly. It was small and greenish and stung. When I felt the pain I saw it was small and had green on it. If I remember correctly, it sort of burned. I do remember it hurt.

Just scored two of the used oven racks, as we exchanged stoves in my new place, i think. If G forgets and just takes the stove to the dump I dont think he cares. Great for a camp cook set up for outdoor cooking or drying rack once I clean them up.

That's a good score, Sass. I always thought if I had to cook over a pit in the backyard I'd use one of my oven racks for grates.

Planted some chive seeds in a bowl planter, trying some store bought garlic cloves planting but I think I have some in my seed bag that is organic and should root if they are still good. I am not sure at the moment about the whereabouts of my seed bag just now as I had to search high and low for herb bag tonight to make up some quick spaghetti sauce for some whole wheat pasta and the stove exchange happened late. I want to get a new spider plant and hang it in the corner of my bedroom near the window. They do a good job or purification of air inside rooms. I also see that what is called a snake plant, which is also easy to grow actually detoxifies quite a bit but also provides more oxygen at nighttime. I think I can find a spot for one of those if I can find them online.

Keeping sprouts going. I also decided to do the cutting of the bottom of some romaine lettuce ( green) and see if it will root in clean water. I need to get some organic ginger root. It is a real pretty plant and you can cut off nubbins of it for when you need it and an aloe plant of course.

I have been wanting some of those for years. i have a small camping grate that is lightweight and would slide into my pack easily, but these would be for a more permanent fireplace set up.

We picked up a solar panel this weekend to experiment with. DH made it portable so it can be used in our toy hauler or RV. Adding extra cables and connectors he now has it charging cell phones and bike helmet communications. We'll try it later this summer when we head to some national parks. :woohoo:

It's time for a vacation even though the garden is in full production. The neighbors will love it. :hapydancsmil:

Boys from church came and finished enclosing the goats' "pasture" for me. It is about 10 acres of mostly brush. The girls moved some boxes from the cabin that I am making into the kitchen and they painted the two small cabins to match the large one. I've started insulating the kitchen cabin. Glad to see some progress!

Glad to hear you've had some help ....especially with the more rugged stuff like fencing! :cheer:

MtRider ....sure wish you could be here more. Give me a call sometime. :hi:

Re-stocked some things today: 48 cans of cream soups, 12 cans carrots, 12 cans lima beans, 12 cans peas, 12 cans kidney beans, 12 cans kraut, 12 cans corn, 2 jars applesauce, 2 cans pineapple, 2 apple pie filling, 2 mac & cheese, 1 vegt. oil, 1 shortening, 2 cans sausage gravy and some frozen things. I will be glad when they get Aldis built here.

That's a good score, Sass. I always thought if I had to cook over a pit in the backyard I'd use one of my oven racks for grates.

They can make a pretty good rack for a concrete block "rocket stove" too?

Re-stocked some things today: 48 cans of cream soups, 12 cans carrots, 12 cans lima beans, 12 cans peas, 12 cans kidney beans, 12 cans kraut, 12 cans corn, 2 jars applesauce, 2 cans pineapple, 2 apple pie filling, 2 mac & cheese, 1 vegt. oil, 1 shortening, 2 cans sausage gravy and some frozen things. I will be glad when they get Aldis built here.

Be cautious about cream soups and canned pineapple. Mother had some cream soups and when we opened them they had sort of "solidified" (perhaps due to milk?) and I didn't feel safe using them. Also, pineapple (from what I understand) is very acidic and is known to "bulge" the sides or lids and/or even rust around the tops.

Rained all day so we worked at the Homestead, putting the new shelving units together. They sure look pretty with the shelves painted white. MrWE2 put some 18" length 2x4's under each end to raise them up off the wood floors, and also so I can take a vacuum wand and clean under them. The large walk-in closet that's off that bedroom will become the temportary hope of our long term buckets....once we get the carpeting removed from it. Not supposed to rain tomorrow so MrWE2 wants to get more work done the client's work project. Rain has paid havoc on lots of carpentry work :-( Oh, here's a pic of the kind we have at the Homestead and at the Roost...for a total of six.

post-9087-0-00044600-1436408772_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Hard thing, Sass. But a really worthy prep and for your health.

MtRider ....part of your cheering section :cheer:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.