MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Well, the Master Tonic is made up and "resting" in a gallon glass canning jar ... didn't have any 1/2 or qts...they're at the Roost :-( Anyway, the gallon jar gives plenty of shaking room. Boy...talk about aromatic! The apple cider vinegar was STOUT smelling! If it does half of what they claim it does, we'll be tickled pink...?...maybe red (hot)! LOL I know apple cider vinegar is excellent for a lot of things, that ginger is, that garlic is, tumeric is, onions are, horseradish and hot peppers I don't know...seems like all together they would be good. I know the "flu soup" I put up is good...wondering if a combo of the two might work so I only make up one batch? Oh well...in 2 weeks I'll let you know how the first tablespoon works out. I can handle some heat but MrWE2 is a wuss...so this will be interesting :-) I've got clementines to help. Stay tuned! (Guess I'd better post the recipe in the recipe section so I can find it to keep it updated :-)

Attended a week-long firearms training course. Thought I was back in military basic training ... on steroids!!! :0327:

Instructors were awesome and great encouragers. Most were from military or law enforcement background. I now know my new weapon like the back of my hand and can draw, shoot, and deliver two bullets into the chest cavity in under 1.5 seconds from a concealed spot. :whistling:

The shocker on information is that break-ins are now up to THREE intruders (average) each time. It was good to remember that 'things' can be replaced. Let them have them. But, when they turn towards your direction, that changes the playing field.

This is where the LEO's and military get training ... FrontSight.com. We're heading back soon. :darlenedance:

Edited by Homesteader

Still "shaking the jug" of the Master Tonic! LOL Found several gas cans that were "hiding" so emptied them in the truck & refilled/treated them and put them back where they belong. Bought the telephone wire and hug that MrWE2 plans to put in at the Roost. Rather than having telephone wires running every where, he's putting in a "hub" and will wire under the crawl space of the house and then up to wherever the telephone jack will be. Also picked up two more jugs of kerosene, Menards had 11% off. Also picked up a box of face masks for mother. They told her she'll need to wear and change one every day now :-( Joined some friends for a "toast" at the Roost. They're the only ones we've every allowed near it or inside it. They are "like-minded" friends :-) but still had never seen it.

Got a call at about 730 am this morning.... from someone I think might be dependable if things go kaput in our nation and we both end up surviving. She likes canning and growing stuff and is good people, we get on pretty good as friends..... so I stayed on the phone instead of complaining it was early.... she gets up at 4am, every day she said. Oh my. I haven't had to do that since my military and swim team days... Well, 430am... had a pleasant convo and I find she is more like minded about this whole darn economic etc situation as well and definitely has the spark in her to do what she can in as decent a fashion as she can and would like to network...... she did find a big one bedroom apartment in another town at least and was in need of a place. ( Hubby did her wrong and absconded with her income.) Now, how to feed the service dog she is training up , for service for emotional support, its going to be huge, already is ... newfoundland dog.

Hoping they can be trusted around small livestock in a reasonable way? Once shown and taught paws off maybe? If necessary, would be a good big dog to have around generally. Alert system as well.

She is getting back on her feet but feels all these undercurrents too and is keeping an eye on certain things too. Might be a good connection situation there over the long haul. She is wise for just being mid 30's . You don't see much of that around these parts.

so, minor networking in area is my prep this morning. This afternoon after a brain storm session scenario practice , since she reminded me with her call........ I am continuing to declutter and clean up some very dusty stuff and oh, I am finding the floor again in my bedroom area.... and laundry and sorting out the too big stuff. I can bring it up to the donate box keeper behind the credit union tonight when I go to the store for a few things.

Just checking in, I've been MIA for a few days as far as computer usage. I've been busy with my Food Saver. I got 14 one pound bags of Rotini pasta shrunk down and stored in buckets. I like to make a pasta salad out of them, especially in the summer. And I got 30 one pound packages of Angel Hair Pasta shrunk and in a bucket. I hit Sam's Club last week and did a pasta run. Then I took all of my herbal teas and shrunk them down and filled a 2 gallon bucket full. Also a few dark chocolate bars. Unfortunately, I've been staying up late with the Food Saver and then sleeping in, so my days and nights are getting turned around again. I'm such a night person that that happens so easily to me.

I have such a dry mouth from my meds it's driving me crazy-er. Then like a dolt I ate a big ham sandwich so it's worse than ever now. I tried some OTC mouth stuff for dry mouth but it was pretty nasty and too top it off it didn't work. I tried some sugar free candy and, OH BOY! Let's just say the bathroom was my new best friend for a day and a half after that experience.

Sending hugs and prayers to WE2's mom and everyone else who needs them!

Sheeesh, Jeepers. Hope you can stabilize that dry mouth and the day/night thing. I can do that reversal too...staying up till 2 or 3am. Not really good tho. Right now, melatonin is my friend!

I've been reading a Foraging book. Learned that the noxious weed 'purslane' is edible, nutritious, and actually contains melatonin. :cheer: But I've never seen it growing around here. [no real surprise there....not much variety in what survives at this altitude.]

MtRider :lois: ....cat tails, pine needles, clover, yuCCa [not yuca], etc.... :feedme:

What did we done this week ... well today we finished the foil on the rest of the kitchen/livingroom wall at the Roost, and finished the poly over that. Then...we hauled in 20+ sheets of sheetrock. Now that was a job! Yes friends, I wore my back brace, wore my leather gloves and used a "lift" on my end. MrWE2 also got one of the telephone lines run under the house and up to the new "hub" that he'll be installing. We'll have all our phone wires under the house and running up through the floor to the hub, and the hub will run directly to the outside connection. Also picked up a couple of sound proofing insulation to put up between the kitchen and the bathroom before he sheetrocks. The house is small and I just wanted some sound proofing between those two room since my washer and dryer are both in the bathroom there at the Roost, not to mention the "fart-fan" running when we shower etc. We're making some real progress now and it's rewarding. For so long it seemed like we'd never get the house done enough to live in. Still giving my "Master Tonic" a few shakes each day. It's amazing how all those spices etc., break down! We've been taking the apple cider vinegar now for about a week so hoping we'll see a difference just by drinking that twice a day. I add some MIO to it for flavor rather than honey. I've lost another pound and MrWE2 has lost another 2 (he'd already lost 10) so we'll keep after that! Won't walk the treadmill tonight, figure hauling all that sheetrock is enough exercise! LOL

'purslane' is edible, nutritious, and actually contains melatonin.

Mmmmm.... purslane..... grows like a weed, but only during its growing season. It loves the heat, thrives and seeds. I'm guessing when its season begins, it will have taken over 1/2 of our yard. DH has become quit fond of some of the recipes I use to cook it.

I am making a "Chicken Tractor" from scraps of wood I have kept. I want to get a chicken or two. The neighbor down the street has sheep. Another neighbor has peacocks, cows and chickens. In fact, I hear the roosters crowing in the morning, from many directions.

We were blessed with another dozen eggs from a friend who has inherited a farm, after MIL got me a dozen. I really need to find something to do with 3 dozen eggs, before they go bad.

Won't walk the treadmill tonight, figure hauling all that sheetrock is enough exercise! LOL

:008Laughing::laughkick::grinning-smiley-044: Ya THINK, WE2? Those sheets are HEAVY!!!!!

Annarchy.....If the eggs are in your fridge, it will take months to 'go bad'. I store mine for 6 months in 'waterglass' in our cool basement. After that long the whites are a little watery and the yolks break easier...but they are still fine.

Seeds? Dare I ask for seeds from a known WEED? :happy0203: Recipes? What's it taste like? I wonder if it could grow up here? Loves heat? :unsure: I really want to find nutritious and prolific weeds! :lois: [and somehow the cadmium layer of bark of pine trees doesn't sound easy.] :grinning-smiley-044: I HAVE thot of snitching some rhizomes from the cattail patch down the road and getting them started in our pond. But if they take over..... I just want some at the edges.

MtRider ......snow day......snow sweeping/shoveling....turns 30 min. chores into 2 hours...... :0327:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Mt Rider, I can send you purslane seeds if you like. I collect some every year just in case. Or, you can order them from bountiful gardens.org

Most of the work done today was at the Roost by MrWE2. I did help him (even though I don't like ladders!) string mark where the ceiling joists (?) are so he won't miss when he's hanging the sheetrock. Yes...Mt_R the rock is heavy! But we have pretty much all that we need now except one sheet we'll need that we forgot to get :-( I mostly sat in my chair and crocheted. I'm working on a neck "cowl" for MrWE2, but it's a bit slow since I'm designing it as I go :-) I've got another muffler going too, but I've been working on the cowl for the time being. Both projects are in alpaca and are so soft and warm. He's really excited about the cowl, that's why I'm working on it's completion first :-) Mother's at home and will have surgery done Monday...so we'll not get anything done then. Prayers will be welcomed! Now...since I sat on my tuff most of the day I'm heading for the treadmill :-(

There is also something called a dickey , either for men or women, they are nice too, WE2, they cover the neck and ( to the edge of the shoulders) but easily go under a jacket. I do have pdf patterns for a couple, found by searching online.

I crocheted a cowl this winter too. I really like it. It keeps my neck warm and I can stick my nose and mouth down in it too when the wind blows. My jacket has a 'fur' rim around it that is very nice but unless I'm holding on to the strings, it blows off of my head and my face freezes.

I crocheted a cowl this winter too. I really like it. It keeps my neck warm and I can stick my nose and mouth down in it too when the wind blows. My jacket has a 'fur' rim around it that is very nice but unless I'm holding on to the strings, it blows off of my head and my face freezes.

Pattern please? May want to make another one :-)

MrWE2 crawled under the floor at the Roost and started leveling the kitchen floor...we're planning to put down vinyl so want it as level as can be. Hardwood in the LR and hall & carpet in bedrooms. Bath already has vinyl. Also put up the cross beam between the kitchen & LR, he's building me a small "ledge" to put air fresheners etc., on so they don't sit on counters etc. Love eucalyptus stems and they can be renewed for some time, then I just spray them with eucalyptus spray (I have to buy it from special stores). Makes the house smell yummy in the winter time.

Pattern please? May want to make another one :-)

I just made this simple one to start out. The next one I make will be able to be pulled up over the head. I'll post the instructions down in the craft forum.

Thanks...but I think the one I've just finished is actually more like a dickey...which is what MrWE2 described "as my hook hooked"! LOL

Thanks...but I think the one I've just finished is actually more like a dickey...which is what MrWE2 described "as my hook hooked"! LOL

:24:

I'm his private hooker! :24:

I'm his private hooker! :24:

Dog gone you We2. I was going to say that but wasn't sure how you'd take it. Great old minds think alike. I should have known! :008Laughing:

I received my lavender , forget me not ( they must have to do with natural bug repellent), and pyrethum daisies..... which are for bug repellent... seeds I ordered this month.

Got most of the ceiling and half of one wall in the kitchen at the Roost sheetrocked today! Guess you could say "The WE2's are Rocking" ! LOL Did spend half the day though at the hospital while mother was having surgery. She's home and taking things EZ. Tomorrow and Wednesday are supposed to be VERY warm, so we'll take every advantage of it to get more done at the Roost.

Found out my oldest brother is a prepper, lol. Didn't realize he had been building up ten acres in the desert all this time. I thought it was a little tract home! He's not there right now as he is out of state working for big money to pay it all down and off, lol, he said if I win the lottery I am welcome to buy it. I said, nooooo, it is too close to LA. Unh uh.

Besides, the desert just sucks. I need green.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.