MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Then I found a website that has hundreds of names of magazines, circulars, flyers and just plain old junk mail companies. If you sign up with them you can use their site and they will submit a request to stop sending you mail. A couple of places don't participate so you have to call them yourself. So far I think I've called 2 but they have contacted 27 different companies for me.

What website, if you don't mind.

Then I found a website that has hundreds of names of magazines, circulars, flyers and just plain old junk mail companies. If you sign up with them you can use their site and they will submit a request to stop sending you mail. A couple of places don't participate so you have to call them yourself. So far I think I've called 2 but they have contacted 27 different companies for me.

Sure. It's:

https://www.catalogchoice.org/about

I hesitated at first because you have to give your name and address but that's the only way they know who not to send to. Duh. You set up an account once and that's it. I've never ever had any spam or anything else associated with them. Their agenda is to protect the environment so they are pretty serious about stopping unwanted paper products.

We save newspapers to put down under the wood chips etc. The rest we just dump in the trash and let them worry about them.

Went to the Jacobs Cave swap Friday and found some really good deals on things we needed around the garden. Bought 3 cases of Ball canning jars for $15.00! Stopped at a couple of garage sales before we left town and really snagged some dealsThen picked up four more at a yard sale for a dime each. Bought six HUGE round containers (they're used to feed minerals to livestock) for $10...woohoo! I've been on the lookout for some to use as container gardening areas. Also got a box of yard for $2, a brand new double window fan for $2, and Mr picked up a box of 10 penny nails for $2. Also some other tool-related items. At another community garage sale a woman gave me a little cup of bakers pumpkin. It was a bit wilted from the sun, but I put some more soil and some rain water in it and it seemed to perk up a bit. I'll plant it "somewhere" in the garden area tomorrow evening when Mr gets home. I'm still without a vehicle so I have to wait for him to join me :-) The garden's looking wonderful! Pruned the bush beens, tomatoes and cabbage and they really perked up when they got a bit of rain Saturday. Also pulled some radishes and clipped some of our lettuce and enjoyed our first salad...but did have to use store bought tomatoes and cukes for the time being. The zuchinni, yellow squash, cucumbers, kale and swish chard are looking good too! We'll be growing them vertically this year so I've been sorting out all my old bras. The neighbors will probably laugh their heads off if they see them full of veggies! LOL Hopefully the hog panels etc., will keep them well hidden. Right now they're on tomato stakes being "trained" :-) I've got Lambs Quarter coming out my ears in the garden beds, so I'll have to pull them and pitch them in the B2E section where I have my LQ bed. Don't want them drawing nutrients from my other vegetables. Going to make a trip to WM this weekend to pick up some hummy feeders. They'll be good pollinators and bug eaters in the garden area (so I hear). The bell peppers seem to have started making a recovery, but I'm still not sure about the small sweet peppers that I love eto eat! Used some white plastic forks inserted tong side up, and I think it's helping keep whatever was eating my mint down, at bay. The mint seems to be making a recovery. Picked a handful of mulberries from the neighbors tree (it hangs over our fence) and some from our little tree, and let son have them. He'd never eaten them before :-) Chomp, chomp, chomp he went as he rode away on our mower to get the property mowed. We pruned the mulberry tree on our property a month or so ago and cut scrub out of it. Hopefully it will do better next year. The blackbarries are as big as my thumb this year (they're 4th year) and so far the vcr tape's flapping and waving keep the birds at bay. The raspberries are galore...but Mr was a bit too energetic in cutting away cains this spring so I doubt we'll have very many berries...since these are basically 1st year bushes. Haven't check the volunteer grape vine (at least that's what we think it is) that the birds planted behind the garage...but we'll get around to it :-) If it's got anything on it, we'll give it something to climb.

I finally finished up my preparedness binders...except for one. I have them all printed out and in separate binders with tabs for quick finding. It was a lot of work but I'm glad it's finally done and in neat order. Now anything new I want to add will be fast and easy, although they are pretty well stuffed.

The only one I have left to do is the canning, freezing and dehydrating binder. I still need to print out a couple of more canning recipes and write out some freezer meals to print and then I'm D-O-N-E finished. Whew.

I'll probably never have to use the binders (I hope) except for the canning one, but as I was putting them together I was thinking about what my future family must think about while reading them decades from now.

At times I was feeling kind of guilty about all the time I was spending on them and not getting anything else done. But I am glad it's all in one place so it was sort of a de-clutter process too. Sort of...but kind of not really. At least everything is in neat order in that area.

Now I have to figure out where to store all of the binders. I'd like to put them in the basement but I'm afraid of dampness issues. No way am I doing this again.

Started working on the junk mail, junk email, and telemarketer calls this week. DH has been perfecting his fermenting skills and I gotta say, I'm loving it. We've finished eating a gallon of sauerkraut and almost through a gallon of pickles. So. Good. Plus our digestive issues are quickly going away. Double bonus. We have another gallon of kraut and pickles fermenting and just finished up a gallon of okra. We've been behind the eight ball with burying the last of our parents last year and clearing out her home with an estate sale. Plus DH has had two shoulder surgeries in the last two years. So I've been stocking up on some canned goods, but only have a minimal garden and have done no canning ourselves. So learning to ferment has helped to get us back on track. We're trying to actually focus on our home and our needs for the first time in our 15 years of marriage. We have no regrets. Our parents cared for us, and we cared for them. That's it. But it is hard and we are slowly recovering from this final loss. I have managed to stock up on paper towels and toilet paper again using coupons :woohoo: . I'm not sure why that's one of the first things I do. :24: But it is.

Anyway, we've acquired a one gallon fermenting crock and have another on the way. DH really likes the ones with the trough. Seems to make the job successful quicker than just using the jars. (We have pickles in the jars right now, so we still do both). The biggest strides I've made is studying and stocking up on herbs. It is a slow process, but we are having great success so far. DH is on board, and that makes things so much easier!!! DD is learning at record pace and we are slowly getting the whole family involved in natural healing. We are currently, slowwwwwwllllllllllly, going through every closet, every box, every cabinet and culling what we don't need, putting fresh paint on the walls and making some other much needed changes inside and out. :cele:

Sure. It's:

https://www.catalogchoice.org/about

I hesitated at first because you have to give your name and address but that's the only way they know who not to send to. Duh. You set up an account once and that's it. I've never ever had any spam or anything else associated with them. Their agenda is to protect the environment so they are pretty serious about stopping unwanted paper products.

Thanks!!! I signed up!!!

Way to go Carr! You've been busy. :bounce:

Sorry for your losses. It's always nice when you are left with no regrets. It sounds like you and hubby are starting a new phase in your life.

Oh good about signing up for the mailing list. Hope it helps.

I'm getting fewer telemarketing calls since I've started to report to the Do Not Call Registry. I'm on the do not call list but they still call. I report them every time. I really think it's helping. You don't have to give them your name, address, email or sign up. You just have to give them your phone number that is being called.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

WE2, do you ever eat the lamb's Quarter? It's very tasty.

Oh yes...absolutely! I have quite a nice patch of it growing now in our B2E section. I'm letting it go to sead this year, but pulled the starts out of our garden beds and brought them home to put in our breakfast eggs :-)

Way to go Carr! You've been busy. :bounce:

Sorry for your losses. It's always nice when you are left with no regrets. It sounds like you and hubby are starting a new phase in your life.

Oh good about signing up for the mailing list. Hope it helps.

I'm getting fewer telemarketing calls since I've started to report to the Do Not Call Registry. I'm on the do not call list but they still call. I report them every time. I really think it's helping. You don't have to give them your name, address, email or sign up. You just have to give them your phone number that is being called.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

Thanks Jeepers. I have our phones on the Do Not Call list, but like you, they keep calling. I'm going to start reporting them as well. I've put together a new system. When they call, I block them. Then once a week I'm going to look up the blocked numbers and report them all at one sitting. We'll see how that goes. One number has started calling constantly. Not just multiple times a day, but multiple times in a row. It rings off the hook, they hang up, and immediately call again. I've tried answering, they hang up. I've tried calling back, it won't go through. Googled the number and it's happening to a lot of people. So. Irritating.

I forgot to add, we received a small freeze dried food order from the newer company that does the $10 sales. Can't think of their name off the top of my head. We got four, 72 hour kits for $40. So essentially enough for hubby and me for six days for $40. Not as cheap as canning from the garden, but less work and lasts longer. I try to add to that freeze dried stash periodically.

carr can you get a website link for me on that 10$ deal? I might be able to swing a few.

It's Patriot Supply sassenach. They are a Glenn Beck sponsor and every so often they advertise this $10 special. It was $10 for a 72 hour supply. I only listen periodically, so I don't always catch them. I think the current special running is $99 for a 4 week supply. I heard it this morning on my way to paint at the church. I'll try to remember to let you know when they run the $10 special again.

www.mypatriotsupply.com

Now that I've said all that .. I went to beck's site and found this. The $10 deal is still good!!

https://www.preparewithmypatriotsupply.com/?utm_source=Blaze-8wk-300x250&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Blaze%208wk%20300x250

Edited by carr

We had a large order delivered from a local supermarket.

Rolled oats, Dried milk, Olive oil, Flour, Yeast, Baking soda, Salt, Sugar,Tea, Coffee,

Rice , Pasta, UHT milk,Tinned Veg and Fruit,Noodles, Butter,Cheese, Spices,

and a few other items.

Just trying to keep our garden hydrated via rain barrels. There was rain in the state but it totally evaded us. Heard some thunder about 3:00am and that was as close as it got :-(

carr, thank you for sharing that $10 deal, it's still good! I have ordered from My Patriot Supply before and have been pleased. I am still using some seeds I bought from them about 5 years ago, and they are still germinating!

I feel like I am playing catch up this year. I had been prepping at our old house for about 10 years, then last year, DH decided we needed to move, and we did, but to move 20 years worth of stuff in 2 weeks (mainly just a few hours every evening) resulted in so much being thrown out. I feel like I am constantly looking for things that I never find, and just know they ended up in the dump! I do not feel "settled" yet and it's been about 9 months. We are in a better town, and looking for our next homestead, but are in a rental for the first time in over 20 years, and it feels weird! The house, yard and landlord are great, so we are very lucky, plus it is affordable. I just feel like I have lost myself, if that makes any sense, and am just now starting to catch a glimpse again every so often. So, here I am perusing Mrs S again, that's my accomplishment this week, and making rain barrels....I had made 1 a month ago, and realized that 2 will pretty much hold us over between big rains, as long as the summer doesn't change too much. Oh, and for DD14s summer reading, I ordered Abigails book from amazon and have a few more survival minded books I think she will relate to, so she can help with the planning.

I started packing boxes of books, etc to move. It also helps to clear out the house before people start tramping through to look at it. Thankfully we have budgeted MONTHS into this move. We've purchased another place but delayed the sale of our current home. We picked up a bridge loan so we don't have to sell one place to purchase another. I don't like being backed into a corner on such a short timetable. Must be grumpiness as I grow older. :happy0203:

By taking our time, I can decide what goes and what stays. I'd hate to put so many years into organizing our lives, just to send it down the road (old age syndrome again). What would I do with all my accurate inventory lists? :hapydancsmil:

I still have to figure out how to move about 150 pots of various perennials. My SIL said she would babysit them near our final destination. Maybe I'll take a few dozen each time we have appointments in Wisconsin. :0327:

I don't envy you one bit Homesteader :-( I cringe at moving and we've still got one ahead of us...about a year or so out at least.

My Patriot Supply is running another deal this weekend. 1 week supply for only $17.76

https://www.preparewith1776.com/?utm_source=6-29+Promo+-+1-week+for+%2417.76&utm_campaign=6-29-Promo-1wk-for-1776&utm_medium=email

I ordered 2 so that I could try some of them. Shipping was $7.95. I have been wanting to try some of their stuff before spending the big money on the investment. Thought this was great opportunity.

My grain mill will be delivered today plus my 3 food grade buckets, bags for in buckets, oxygen things and I ordered 6- #10 cans of wheat from the LDS site and just ordered 40 lb. bucket of wheat from Sams. Went to Sams today and picked up things for us to use now plus 3 - 4 gal. jugs of water, 6 cans beef stew, 4 lbs. brown sugar and 50 lbs. white sugar. I really feel like I have done a lot this week.

Broke don't to smaller portions 7 lbs. of brown sugar and vaccum sealed it, bought 2 qts local honey.

Nice, Kelly!

Daelith, I would like to read your opinion.

Edited by Ambergris

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.