MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Nice, Kelly!

Daelith, I would like to read your opinion.

Yeah...what she said, if you've had a chance to try some things, Daelith.

MtRider :)

Edited by Mt_Rider

We had a large order delivered from a local supermarket.

Rolled oats, Dried milk, Olive oil, Flour, Yeast, Baking soda, Salt, Sugar,Tea, Coffee,

Rice , Pasta, UHT milk,Tinned Veg and Fruit,Noodles, Butter,Cheese, Spices,

and a few other items.

How are you planning to package it?

Just ordered 3 more food grade buckets with lids, powdered butter and water purifier plus from LDS I ordered powered milk and flour. I picked up 3 bags of 6 bean soup mix and dry great northern beans, 8 cans of tuna, 3 cans pasta and 2 of the snack style chicken salad and crackers. Picked up a 3 ring binder and dividers and printed off recipes using food storage.

I need to get this printer working again. I downloaded a lot to a thumbdrive, but have no idea where I put that.

A couple of months ago I went through all of my prep notes and websites I had saved and got them printed out and put in binders too. Some of the PDF’s are too large to print though. I copy/pasted many of them into a Word document so I could edit them down. I didn’t have a working computer so I just bought a cheapy one from Wal-Mart and it worked great. Still chugging along. It was a lot of work and took a lot of time but now I’m glad I did it.

Visited the garden this morning (it's been on it's own for the most part of 10 days...love the B2E system!) and picked two baskets of cucumbers and a small basket of Okra and 8 sweet yellow peppers. The cucumbers spears are out of the roaster (yes...I can my pickles in my roaster...at 180 for 30 minutes) and am waiting for them to "ping". It takes them a bit longer to seal down but the pickles stay crisper. They're "sweet and spicey"...I use a sweet pickle-type brine and then add one of my sweet yellow peppers, three small cloves of garlic and 1/8th tsp. of crushed red pepper flakes. MrWE2 doesn't care for cucumbers but I do! I cubed a few instead of spears and put them in the frig...for quick use :-)

Made a run to Alidis got: 24 cream of chicken, 12 corn, 12 cream corn, 12 peas, 12 kidney beans, 12 grean beans, 12 lima beans, rice, 4 mustard, 4 ketchup, gravy mixes, 4 baked beans, 2 spam, 2 vegt. oil, 1 shortening, 3 pineapple chunks, 1 large applesauce, 3 steak sauce, 2 boxes of tea bags5 boxes of crackers and things to use now like eggs and milk.

Kelly, my late mother had several cases of creamed soups in her pantry. I'm not sure how long they were in there, but when I opened a can it was "clumpy" and had separated. I pitched them all :-( Probably because they contain milk?

I've used separated cans of Cream of Whatever and .....well, we are still living. Course I DID know how old it was. Doesn't take that long for it to separate.

Quite a lot for your food storage, Kelly! :thumbs:

MtRider ....just keeping my head above water right now....

We have always ate the cream soups before they go bad.

Today I received my case of wheat from LDS and the plastic lids. Also water purification tablets I ordered on-line. Went to the store and got: 8 tuna, 4 shelf stable milk, 3 small boxes of powdered milk, 2 spaghetti sauce, 2 drink powders (Tang and Crystal Light).

I get lazy then something will happen (like elections) and its like someone lit a fire under me. LOL

We have always ate the cream soups before they go bad.

Today I received my case of wheat from LDS and the plastic lids. Also water purification tablets I ordered on-line. Went to the store and got: 8 tuna, 4 shelf stable milk, 3 small boxes of powdered milk, 2 spaghetti sauce, 2 drink powders (Tang and Crystal Light).

Sounds like you're on a roll! We quit putting back the shelf-stable milk. We opened a carton that was 3 years old and it was clumpy inside. Not sour, just clumpy. We now set back powdered milk. Just sharing our experiences.

I've never tried the shelf stable milk so I'm glad you mentioned it.

MtRider ...clumpy? Wonder if it would still be safe/good if you blenderized it back to smooth? :scratchhead:

We used to live on shelf stable milk in Asia. We still keep a few quarts around and rotate them. Glosser (sp?) from Dollar Tree is pretty good when chilled. :happy0203: We also use the dry milk, especially after being gone for a few weeks. I just make it the night we return home and chill it down. It's the milk we use for several days as we try to recover from jetlag. :grinning-smiley-044:

Gossner is the $Tree brand we buy also. We've also got a case we ordered direct from Gossner but haven't opened it yet :-( Like you, we don't use a lot of milk so I am now just mixing up the powdered Sanalac. We'll be roating out the Gossner's that we have set back and replacing it with powder. We store the powder in gallon glass jars and vacuum seal the lids and tape the labels on the jars along with instructions for mixing.

ps...plus I make my yogurt from the powdered milk :thumbs:

Edited by The WE2's

I keep like 6 cartons of shelf stable and if it gets close to date I mix it with reg. milk or cook with it. I also store powdered milk.

I keep like 6 cartons of shelf stable and if it gets close to date I mix it with reg. milk or cook with it. I also store powdered milk.

:thumbs:

While watching Wartime Farm (BBC) on YouTube, I worked on separating seeds from chaff. I'm saving more of my heirloom seeds and taking them to Wis later this year. The Boc Choi had such tiny seeds. :grinning-smiley-044: The Red Romaine lettuce was fun to separate the seeds from the fluff that sends it on its merry way through the air. God has such a great sense of humor at his designing table. I never cease to marvel at His creativity in the garden. :hapydancsmil:

:hapydancsmil:

The shelf-stable milk: I have seen it clump in way less than a year when kept in a warmish area (the AC was down for a summer) but usually it's good for about a year. Shelf-stable but not long-term storage. A box is a great addition to the summer's hurricane supplies if considered in terms of coffee milk, cooking milk, instant-breakfast milk, or cereal milk. Unless you use a quart at a time, the little boxes (lunch sized) are more useful. (Or would you have a fridge when you opened the box?)

Got a little stocking up done this week. Had a good sale on the breakfast sausage we eat and the granola type snacks DH and the Grands love. So I've been printing coupons and running to the store everyday to get the daily limit. DH is on fire learning to ferment and put another 2+ gallons of various veggies in to ferment. Carrots, beets and onions (gallon) cukes (pint), and peppers (gallon). The Grands LOVE all things fermented and eat it up. We have all had digestion issues start clearing up within a couple of weeks of starting to eat fermented foods regularly. We've also been looking more seriously at land to retire to. Just the beginning of our search. We don't really have a time line at this point. Just trying to keep abreast of what's available for when we're ready to make a move.

Hmmm... Why DO we use crockery for fermenting?

MtRider :scratchhead: ....I've used 5 gal bucket for Kraut....once successful and once not. :shrug:

Probably because that's all they had back in the olden days so we kept on doing it that way. No plastics or even glass back then. I'm thinking Little House On The Prairie days and beyond.

I tried sauerkraut once in a plastic bucket. Once. I won't go into detail but lets just say the results were gag worthy.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.