MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Do you recycle slow cooker crocks for your fermenting adventures?

Excellent idea...be sure to get the lid though :-)

Got me a Presto dehydrator today and have a pound of frozen mixed veggies and some celery going now. Got my gal. mylar bags I ordered, my #10 can of powdered butter and 2 big packs of skinless/boneless chicken to dehydrate.

Processed two frames of honey We'll have a friend test the moisture content for us. We were about out of honey so did the extraction by hand as we don't have a spinner. It's been a very successful experiment. We'll have our friend extract the full box in a few weeks. :-)

Bought another dehydrator and it came today. Went to walmart and bought apple rings cereal and put in mylar bags, bought 8 cans tuna and some ham spread, 2 bags of dried apples, dried 8 lbs. of chicken and will put it in a mylar tomorrow, have oranges and more celery in the other dehydrator, got some food grade buckets/lids and a couple totes. Went through my pantry yesterday my put my box potatoes, hamburger helpers and cake mixes in mylar bags for long storage. Ordered more quart mylars and O2 absorbers today. Got a lot of other things done just cant remember all. Have 8 more lbs of chicken to do tomorrow and going to grind some wheat and make rolls so I can get the recipes down pat. This book "Recipes from the Old Mill" by Sarah E. Myers and Mary Beth Lind is a real good book.

Ordered a lifestraw and heirloom seeds. Have dehydrator going again with tomatoes and bell peppers then I will do more celery.

I'm not doing well on the planning for longterm, but I am planning on cooking up a bunch of meat today to have in the freezer so it's ready to grab whenever I want it.

I sprained my ankle about 2 weeks ago and landed on my wrist when I did it. The wrist didn't hurt at all then, but I'm now having problems with things like pushing the grocery cart and opening and closing the truck door with it. I figure once we have insurance again, I'll go in and get it x-rayed. At least it's the left, not the right.

Ow! It's annoying to have more barriers to getting things done, isn't it TheCG? Hope ankle/wrist both heal well. Stretched tendons are forever in healing tho.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I too hope your ankle and wrist heal well.

Kelly, sounds like you are on a roll!

We just put 13 quarts of blanched, cut off sweet corn in the dehydrator. That represents 5 garden rows and we have 6 rows more we hope to do tomorrow.

Doing a lot of dehydrating and putting stuff in mylar bags. Had gal. bags of whole okra in the freezer and its in the dehydrator now.

Got me a Presto dehydrator today and have a pound of frozen mixed veggies and some celery going now. Got my gal. mylar bags I ordered, my #10 can of powdered butter and 2 big packs of skinless/boneless chicken to dehydrate.

:thumbs: Love my dehydrators! I'll be dragging both of them out before too much longer.

Doing a lot of dehydrating and putting stuff in mylar bags. Had gal. bags of whole okra in the freezer and its in the dehydrator now.

Thanks for the reminder! I've got about 2# of new Okra that I just picked and some that's in the freezer...and was planning to freeze the rest. Not. Going to put them in my dehydrators! Funny how one forgets that dehydrators make quick and easy storage :-) (Except I put mine in canning jars with oxygen absorbers. Got some pretty orange slices from 4 years ago and the seal is still good and tight (no ring) and they're beautiful :-)

Edited by The WE2's

Two days before our house was to go on the 'for sale' MLS listing, our neighbor decided to buy our place. The huge garden and orchard has been staring them in the face each day as they went on their daily walks. When the sale sign went up in the yard, they made a bee-line to find me in the garden. They asked for a tour (I'm in the middle of canning, freezing, and drying). They didn't care. With blushed face, and lots of dusty wood floors due to remodeling, I gave them the grand tour. Yesterday they came back with our realtor, toured the 'clean' place, and signed a contract to purchase.

They said that they've been watching us the past four years turn a hoarder's house into a beautiful home to live in. I'm thankful they love the big garden. I figured the next owners would have plowed it under and added a pole barn. :grinning-smiley-044: It's also a good reminder that people are watching us and we need to be careful on how we conduct our lives. :bounce:

If they are able to secure financing, we will become Wisconsin residents once again the end of September. Our empty country home up there is waiting for us to start all over with gardens and orchards. :0327:

Congratulations, Homesteader! I know you are excited! And so true that we need to watch what we do and how it looks!

:amen: Homesteader!!!

Now....the moving. I've come to detest moving out. But I really like moving in.

MtRider :cheer:

Congrats Homesteader!!!

So true people do watch us. I know quite a lot about my neighbors without even really paying attention. Just everyday coming and going observations.

Two days before our house was to go on the 'for sale' MLS listing, our neighbor decided to buy our place. The huge garden and orchard has been staring them in the face each day as they went on their daily walks. When the sale sign went up in the yard, they made a bee-line to find me in the garden. They asked for a tour (I'm in the middle of canning, freezing, and drying). They didn't care. With blushed face, and lots of dusty wood floors due to remodeling, I gave them the grand tour. Yesterday they came back with our realtor, toured the 'clean' place, and signed a contract to purchase.

They said that they've been watching us the past four years turn a hoarder's house into a beautiful home to live in. I'm thankful they love the big garden. I figured the next owners would have plowed it under and added a pole barn. :grinning-smiley-044: It's also a good reminder that people are watching us and we need to be careful on how we conduct our lives. :bounce:

If they are able to secure financing, we will become Wisconsin residents once again the end of September. Our empty country home up there is waiting for us to start all over with gardens and orchards. :0327:

:thumbs:

Vacuum sealed two bags and a quart jar of diced roasted almonds that we bought when we made our trip to plain people stores. They all have oxygen absorbers in them too, but the bags are in the frig. We enjoy sprinkling them over whipped topping that's over our fresh fruit.

Have done a lot of dehydrating, stocking up at the grocery store and ordered stuff from LDS and off Amazon. Also ordered another magazine (clip) for my pistol and trying to find a holster (belt), whatever will be comfortable for me to carry my pistol. I did get a pistol permit.

DH found a FoodSaver with 2 rolls of bags for $50 shipped. It came in today and I'm thrilled how well it works. I'm going through the freezer and sealing quick meals.

image.jpeg

Once ya start vacuum sealing you'll think you've gone to heaven in the amount of food you're able to buy in bulk and seal. If you get the chance, be sure to buy the cannister "lids" for pints and quarts (for sealing jars) and also the whole "cannister" that you can sit used gasket-type lids (pickles etc.) inside and re-seal them like new :-)

Tractor supply had their "family sale" (15% off) so we picked up another pair of carpenter pants for MrWE2, six bags of compost for less than $1 a bag and a 2017 Farmer's Almanac. All...for less than what we usually pay for a pair of his denim carpenter pants! :thumbs:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.