MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Guess I could say that I "prepared" our taxes today... :24: Got them done. Nothing coming back but that's okay, nothing to pay in either :happy0203:

I go get mine done this Tuesday. Mine are complicated and I also have them itemized so I can deduct for charitable donations.

Edited because I hit the send button too soon.

I take off for:

charitable donations to Salvation Army stuff and SDP money

mortgage payments

prescriptions

doctor/dentist bills

insurance payments

taxes I've pre-paid

With those write-offs I usually get a refund on state and fed.

Edited by Jeepers

Taxes....ick. Law says ours has to be done by the end of Jan. Quite stressful but they get done in time.

I am having the oil changed in the car today. It should be good to go for a few months.

Planning on tilling the wheat greenery, when I get home, preparing to plant more carrots, beets and ...whatever else I decide to try. I'd love to try corn, but I have never had any luck with it.

Hoping to get some shopping done today, to renew our long term preps. We shall see.

Stocks don't have to send you your tax info until sometime in Feb. so that always holds me up on getting mine done.

Funny you mentioned oil change. I had mine done today too. The place I always go to (LubeStop) was so busy that I left with the intention of going back after I ran some errands. The last time I was there they told me my oil pan and something else was getting rusty and could start leaking and I needed to get it repaired soon. This was last summer. One of the guys gave me his number where he fixes those things. Said he'd give me discount because he "knows" me. Okay. So today I went to a different company (Valvoline) that was close to where I was doing errands and they didn't mention anything about a rusted out oil pan. I wondered if they would. Hummmm.

So when I go get my brakes done, hopefully next week, I'm going to ask them about it while they have it on the lift. The oil change company who is correct will get my business.

I have never been to that oil change company (Valvoline) before. I gave them my name, address and phone number. That was all. I looked at the computer screen he was using and it told him exactly how many miles I had on my car. How did they know that?

I also got that burned out brake light replaced too.

I haven't done much in the way of actually prepping lately. It's always on my mind though. I didn't can very much at all last year because I had a lot left over from the previous year. I do marathon canning sessions. It's easier for me that way. I decided I wasn't going to can this year either because I'm trying to scale back on clutter and things I might have to move.

I'm rethinking that. What the heck. Food is not clutter to me. If I do get to move in a year or two then I'll just load up the Jeep with the canned goods and move them myself. Or if need be I'll rent a U-Haul van. Son and I did that once when we moved over here because I wanted to bring breakables and a couple of small pieces of furniture I didn't want to get torn up. It was something like $25 dollars a day plus gas. So, if I take a notion to can this year then that's what I'm going to do. I eat a lot of my soups and spaghetti sauce so they go pretty fast. I'm getting tired of living in "what if" land. Self imposed, I do it to myself.

I was going to do some canning for g-son. I'm rethinking that too. I think I'll wait until he is a little older with a more developed immune system. I don't want to be the one responsible for...anything. Son was off of formula at three months. Now the pediatritians (sp) want them on formula for a year before going on milk. I'm thinking it has more to do with the milk and hormones in it than the human. The formula is non-GMO and his baby food is organic so I'm going to leave well enough alone for another year. They are planning a garden so they can eat fresh.

I just hope I can find a decent house that I can afford over there. In June I go on Medicare and in another year I go on Social Security. That should help some.

researched storm shelters for Georgia.  down here on vacations we notice spring has many more and worse tornadoes than at home up north.  the water tablr is high here so digging down is not practical.  Best I' ve found so far is safesheds.com   They are steel-reinforced concrete, with seamless steel interior, heavy duty screened vents, huge steel doors; with an attractive stucco exterior, painted in your choice of 90 colors to match your décor.  8x12 foot for around $6000 and they finance. 

I was impressed with the photos of their unit which protected occupant in a F4 tornado with nothing but cosmetic damage to the stucco from tornadic debris and scuffing on the door where a full size pickup truck was flung into it and was bent around the corner of it.  The axle scuffed the door.  The rest of the home & home business were obliterated.  It impressed me; and the price includes delivery, anchoring with buried 4 ft deep concrete anchoring system (to keep it from sliding while things slam into it).  I'm sold; when we set things up down south it will be the first shed I have put in.  The 8x10 will hold us, our friends, and all our sundry critters. 

harris.jpg

9940760.jpg

1565703.jpg

taking-a-break-in-the-cleanup-job_orig.jpg

nissan-truck-that-impacted-shelter_orig.jpg

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

Uhh... found my way back to MrsS. Does that count as doing something to prepare? 

:hi:babysteps!  I’ve been thinking about you. Welcome back!

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

:puzzledsmile:

And apparently photobucket stole my old sig pic. 

Hrmph. 

Photobucket decided to try to charge all of their customer, for off site hosting, $400/year. 

I can check to see if yours is on the server.....  Let me know what it looked like and I can try to find it. 

So so nice to see you again.  :happy0203:

4 hours ago, babysteps said:

Uhh... found my way back to MrsS. Does that count as doing something to prepare? 

YES!!!!!  Glad to see you again, Babysteps.  How are you and yours??  :wave:

Wow, Kappy.  Those pics look impressive!  Another idea  [not necessarily better or worse]  is what Vic did in Dallas/FtWorth area.  They had a hill brought in and and had a cement tornado shelter dug into that.  She showed pics of it once here...long ago.  Glad you all have some shelter options cuz I'd sure hate to be in tornado zone without SOMEthing!

MtRider  :twister3:

Did anyone watch "Criminal Minds" on TV last night?

I only ask because I was extremely surprised at the attitude that was expressed by the characters about the "prepper" community! I was of the naive assumption that disparaging "preppers" had long gone by the wayside. Boy, was I WRONG!!!

The BAU was investigating the disappearance of several professional women in Virginia. Their investigation led them to believe that a "prepper" was snatching these women so they would be available to help restart the world after TEOTWAWKI. The discussion about the characteristics of the "unsub" they were looking for included him being paranoid, obsessed with the "Doomsday Clock," hoarding food and fuel, etc. You know......................everything the general population believed about us prior to, and immediately after Y2K!

I almost could not believe my ears! 

At any rate, I just thought I'd let you know that the "sheeple" are STILL being fed misleading, disparaging, and dangerous information about us "preppers.'

:smiley_shitfan: :tinfoilhatsmile::beat_deadhorse: :sheeple: :gaah:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I haven't seen it yet but hard to be surprised.  Another audience for the mainstream media to target.  A lot of mystery show watchers probably don't watch reality tv of any type.  At least I don't!  I say this because of that doomsday prepper reality show.

MIL watches it. I have seen other shows portray prepares in a bad light also. 

The only thing that gives me a little hope, is when the news mentions how people should be prepared for a disaster or an emergency. 

• Like 1

I didn't see the show but I am sort of surprised that 'that' attitude is still out there. Just another nudge for some of us to continue to keep our guard up. And our mouth shut.  :sigh:

• Like 2

And what was that remark made by Penelope about?  "those women wanted to share more with him than their canned meat"  LOL  I know she didn't write the script though.  Sad!

:hi: Hi Annarchy, Jeepers and Mt Rider!

We're doing pretty good, all things considered. We moved last year (long story, not by choice) but stayed in the same area, just a smaller property. Kids are growing, lol. 

Mt Rider, I actually wandered back because the other day I had a really vivid dream, and when I woke up I realized it was based off of one of your old "Without Warning" scenarios from a few years back! :huh: :008Laughing:

So... this is YOUR fault. And I'm half tempted to dig it up and add my dream to it. :happy0203:

AND, I organized my laundry room today, so I can actually get to my ironing board again. :woohoo:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

DH has been parking his ATV on the back porch in front of my washer and dryer, sometimes it has been hard to work around it. Let alone walking around it, the lawn has a path around where it was. 

I cut the new growth around the eucalyptus trunk that I cut down years ago, but it doesn’t want to die, moved the cars and trailer over to make room for it on our car port. 

It cleared the back porch and looks so open and clean. I can see the chickens again. :)

• Like 2

On 11/8/2017 at 3:24 PM, Annarchy said:

Photobucket decided to try to charge all of their customer, for off site hosting, $400/year. 

I can check to see if yours is on the server.....  Let me know what it looked like and I can try to find it. 

So so nice to see you again.  :happy0203:

I don't need it... it was just a picture of footprints on sand, I think.  But I can't remember how to remove the photobucket thing from my sig line. 

Computer savvy, I am NOT. :lol:

12 minutes ago, babysteps said:

But I can't remember how to remove the photobucket thing from my sig line

PM sent..

14 hours ago, babysteps said:

Mt Rider, I actually wandered back because the other day I had a really vivid dream, and when I woke up I realized it was based off of one of your old "Without Warning" scenarios from a few years back! :huh: :008Laughing:

So... this is YOUR fault. And I'm half tempted to dig it up and add my dream to it. :happy0203:

:lol:   Glad to know those mental exercises are still haunting  ...er memorable to folks!    Yeah....dig it up and lets hear what you have!

MtRider  :thumbs:

• Like 1

Not sure if the Word doc will open, but it's what I use for inventorying my freezers. I finished getting the two freezers re-inventoried this week. They got messed up when some of our friends helped us during a move last year.   :grinning-smiley-044:

I've been so frustrated this past year trying to plan meals without knowing what I have. I'm hoping to get on a monthly rotation of meals instead of a weekly one. It will also help not having to use what's ripe in the garden each day.   :24:

Freezer Inventory.doc

Document opened fine. Thank You!  I NEED lists.

I posted two Word inventory type documents someplace but I don't remember where. They are customized to my specs. but anyone can feel free to download them and change them to their own taste or pass them around. I made them so no worry about copyright.  :blah:

Freezer Inventory.docx

Canning Inventory.docx

I forgot to add that I plan to laminate them or put them in a clear plastic sleeve so I can use a dry erase marker pen so I can keep reusing and updating them.

Edited by Jeepers
Added more info.
  • Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.