MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

I've been going through the pantry and trying to use up things with looming expiration dates.  For example, we don't drink milk but I always have a few cans of evaporated milk on hand for the very occasional recipe.  So, made some cornbread with one of the cans and am planning a pudding cake (pudding layered with graham crackers) for Sunday dinner. The graham crackers are leftovers from a camping trip dd took with her friend.  Trying not to waste anything and also trying to make room for the ads that will start in a few weeks.  This way, I can buy 6 more cans of evaporated milk while they are on sale so that I can stress about how to use them next Fall. :D

• Like 4

I will be doing some major re-organizing and going through of cabinets and sheds when dh leaves at the beginning of next month.  Always easier to pitch things when he is not around.  

• Like 3

Just playing catch up for a bit.  With the eye surgeries hubby has huddled close around to make sure I behaved myself!  To say the least...the laundry baskets are full, bath linens need washing and bed linens need changing as well as washing.  Surprising how quickly two people can fill up laundry in just two weeks.  I could have had hubby do the laundry but that's just not what I wanted to do....:happy0203:

• Like 2

Hung out a couple of loads of laundry this morning...had to wear the heavy duty sunglasses...neighbors probably wouldn't want to share their thoughts :24:  Pulled a pint jar of last years spiced pears, dumped it into a bowl of cake mix, added 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, a bit of water and into an 8x10 pan it went.  Hubby says "So good he could easily overeat on it" :hapydancsmil:Tomorrow is my checkups for both eyes.  Still amazed that the vertigo seems to have disappeared...figure :cele:Hubby has his regular health checkup tomorrow also, so it's a "health day" for us.  

• Like 5

Both of us came away with good reports.  I'll go in for 4 week followup and...if I choose...fitted for glasses.  I'm probably going to wait on the glasses thing until we get back from our EXTENDED trip to Texas 1st of Oct.  When we get back, then I'll go in and have them fit me for glasses/bifocals that I can wear when I feel I need them.  I'm driving just fine and can see quite a long way but it's not 20/20 and I'm using readers for close up work.  My son's SO had to go in hospital for emergency surgery (benign colon tumor and hysterectomy) but she's doing very well.  She seems to be the part of his life that's been missing...and for that I'm glad.  He's happy and was able to see the loving side of God through this.  Both of them were pretty scared and he was angry at God because he felt God was taking something he loved, away from him.  Isn't God good! Got the van inspected and tags on...they had expired because we couldn't get it inspected while it was in the shop.  We took it around town to some garage sales (with Abby-girl) to put some miles on the tranny and get used to driving it again.  Sure looks good to look out back and see her sitting on our property...finally! For those who may not know it...a Class B is a full motor home...but just miniature.  We have a queen bed, a tiny kitchen, a tiny wet bath and lots of storage.  There's a dinette but we have to undo the bed, so we just eat in the front captain seats or eat outside in our EZ up canopy with our chairs and a small table.  Quite comfy when you want to overnight some place (like WM or etc.).

Miss B.jpg

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 6

Welcome home long lost van !!!!  She is looking great.

Glad to guys got good health reports. Might want to wait on the glasses anyway. Your eyes might need some adjusting time. Don't know if that's true but maybe. My eyes needed time after I had laser surgery. And glasses  are so expensive to have to replace too often. 

Yes, God is good! I'm so happy for your son too. Sometimes it just takes time and patience. I know you gave him a good foundation that he is falling back on.  

• Like 3

I reallly like the look of that size mini-motorhome!  Glad you FINALLY got 'er back!

Good news about your son....and successful surgery on his beloved.  :amen:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

The weather forecast is for some pretty nasty stuff headed for our area starting in the morning.  We made sure everything we needed done was done (even taking out the trash and recycle bags) and the gas tanks on both vehicles are full.  We have our EdenPur handy if electric is on and our Remington propane heater ready if needed.  It hold a 20# tank and is made for inside/clean burning...but we'd crack the kitchen window any way.  When we looked at the map it looked like we may actually miss the heavy stuff but it's always better to be ready! Stay safe my friends if this bad stuff is headed your way.

• Like 2

Sorry you all are getting heavy weather. 

TX was 55* when we left and 72* when we got home.

Tomorrow I will winterize the gardens, set up freeze covers, and strawing the chickens, and gardens.  

We counted green tomatoes, when we got home, over 4 dozen!  WOW!

• Like 2

This is a tough question as so much can happen.  We are in hurricane area, but for past 3 or 4 years we have not had a direct hit from a hurricane. Though we are always ready for it. I have been working on ways to harden my home. Such as making the front, back and side doors more secure.  I am going to be switching out the scews on the hinges for steel 6 inch screws.  Also working on getting cross bars to go across doors to make them even harder to break in.  We have already changed out the old wood doors and replaced them with steel doors. the patio door will be the hardest to secure. We really need to replace it as it is not weather tight any longer. I do keep a steel bar in the track.  I need to work on the water situation more. These are things I want to get done in case of civil unrest as our area is building up fast with more and more homes and apts..  Along with a lot of new stores. We are no longer what was country to urban to what they are trying to do is going to be a town. Traffic is really bad now.  If we have to evacuate, all this building and more and more people moving in is going to create the biggest traffic jam you ever saw. So we have been planning our own evac. escape route. This is mainly do to hurricane season.  the amount of houses going in right now is well over 1000 new homes and appts. Our schools, and country roads can no longer handle this many people and cars on the roads. right now everything is on hold due to the driveway. We have a good years supply of food for ourselves and the kids and grandkids. Though the grandkids are all grown, they said they will all be coming here. We are not planting a garden next spring which I think I mentioned in another post. But I will be getting that area set up to put in raised beds. I also want to do container garden to see how that works out for us.  One of my neighbors does container garden and said they are having good luck with it.  Just need to go to market to get more free 5 gal. buckets.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Littlesister, for poking some life into these sleeping topics.  After we lost well-loved members, the board had lost a lot of its heart, and we were struggling to get back on track.  We were beginning to  make some headway, then losing some of that, then BOOOM!  You came and blew the cobwebs right off!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Thank you so much, Littlesister, for poking some life into these sleeping topics.  After we lost well-loved members, the board had lost a lot of its heart, and we were struggling to get back on track.  We were beginning to  make some headway, then losing some of that, then BOOOM!  You came and blew the cobwebs right off!

^  ...exactly...  :thumbs:

I have been home on sick leave for a couple of weeks now, and have done about two whole days' worth of cleaning/purging.  My realities have changed drastically since I planned this place out.  I have to acknowledge that a great deal of it is outside my control now, and to take firm control of what I can handle.  

Returning to the topic:  This weekend, I attended most of a field day on growing gingers and turmerics before falling out.  I got samples of three, one edible and two medicinal, that I didn't have before.  I could have picked up several more, but I was at the front of the line and well past most of them before it was perfectly plain that we were welcome to grab.  I wasn't going to be that person who pockets samples before  invitation, you know?  And when the stomach bug hit, I didn't dare circle back.  Nor could I really send the beau, who had driven me.  Researched some of the details brought up at the field day.  Planted the samples in three-gallon containers, which will hold them until I can get more compost turned over (and will keep them alive if I can't get more compost this fall).     

Ambergris, I hope you get well soon.  Prayers going out for quick recovery.   

I did not know that this forum had no life with loosing members. I know that is like loosing a family member.  I am still reading and looking around at the different topics. So I hope I can get things revived again.

Maybe after Thanksgiving and Christmas, I can get some things going for some challenges. It seems that most of the ones that are at least active on here are maybe in their 60's 70,s and maybe even 80's.  As I am 69 and my DH is 81. So I know that prepping for things to come will be a challenge of it''s own.  But I will try to bring some life back into the forum. And bring up some of the older topics to get them going again. I am not the best on forums, but I do hope and try to help others when I can.

• Thanks 2

Ambergris,  hope you are feeling better. 

I am still looking around when I get a little time just reading older post. Lots of good things to read. Just not enough time to do to much reading though. Will be trying to bring up older post as I get time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jarred up 4 quarts of Bacon-Bean-Barley soup. It's soup and sandwich season around this household. Also did some Mennonite shopping to replenish some spices I was getting low on.  They have a knock off of Mrs. Dash and we enjoy that seasoning.  Also some Fajita seasoning, some pizza seasoning, some cream of tartar and a couple tubs of Arrow Root powder.  Weather was raining, dreary and chilly.

• Like 1

I am way behind on my preps because of the driveway being put in. And now with Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, I might have to wait till after the first of year to finish getting my freezer emptied. Got a lot of meat I need  to get canned.  So for now I am going to have to focus on getting the back porch and windows washed from all the cement dust and getting the house cleaned up again. Everything is a mess and I feel like I am eating cement dust.  :yuk:  So tomorrow DH is going in to cook collards and I will have house to myself for half a day. Don't know why, but I get so much more done when he is not here. 

• Like 1

I think most women get more things done when their guy is out of the house. Don't know why that is but it's true.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I think most women get more things done when their guy is out of the house. Don't know why that is but it's true.

Because when they're not there you don't have to "entertain" them and get to put all of your focus on what needs to get done!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guess I'm fortunate...when he's home he usually sits in his chair and reads (which is a do not disturb message) or helps me if it's something I ask his help doing. 

• Like 2

Experimented with my VitaMix machine, and got a wonderfully delicious cream of broccoli soup! Didn't pressure it, only a quart and half, so it's in the frig for eatn!  Hubby may not be able to work tomorrow (bad weather) since he needs to commute 30+ miles one way.  We had some sleet around 5 and then into rain.  It's been raining for some time...hope it doesn't turn into anything else!

• Like 1

I’ve been collecting spice leaves and drying them. I doubt I will need to buy those spices, anytime in the next few years.  :amen:

• Like 2

Driveway is done and now paid for. So that is out of my way.  Still trying to clean the dust up from it in garage though. Cement dust in everything. But I am halfway through getting it done. Turning my focus now on getting kitchen cabnets cleaned out and going through dishes I don't use much and pack them up. These are not anything I want to get rid of, just don't use on a daily basis. Don't have a lot of cabnet space so going to move those dishes out into where I store my canning supplies. That gives me more space in kitchen for things I use daily or weekly. 

Now that Halloween is past, I need to start concentrating on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Getting things together for the plans and getting the house cleaned up.. But don't think I will do as much decorating as I usually do.  Maybe this year just the tree and fireplace as I am so behind this year and DH just isn't up to the challange this year. He is really having a hard time with the swelling in his feet and legs as well as his stomach. Fluid pills are a hit and miss. So has days he has to double up. Getting those embolism socks on is a pain. With my arthric hands and him not being able to bend over without loosing his breath is tough. So went shopping for a type of sock aid  that will help get them on him easier.  It has great reviews, so hope it works like it says. 

So sorry your dh is having these troubles, Little Sister.  My folks also have similar issues.  My mom has congestive heart but is actually still doing well.  Mostly.  My dad has another version - pulmonary hypertension.   He gets the swollen feet!  DH also has heart issues...swelling issues.  Was under control and isn't right now....yet.  :sigh: 

Annarchy, you remind me that I was going to harvest some yarrow this year.  But WINTER hit so sooon!  I have some old stuff....pretty old.  Needed that new supply.  I did harvest some currants this year....till some UNKNOWN CRITTER came flying out of a burrow under the bush I was harvesting.  Yiiiii!!!  Scared the hooey outta me!  I had seen a small [..harmless but don't like them..] snake on the other side of the bush.  ForPete'sSake!  I'm OUTTA HERE!  Probably was just one of the pasture varmint/pocket gopher things.  We don't have much edible/medicinal that grows way up here.  I'd like to take advantage of what does tho!  :buttercup:  

Today I was doing Internet research on BOB items.  If I was going to upgrade on any tools or whatever.  Interesting thing....they have upgraded [maybe] wrist rocket sling shots.  Not just one rubber tube...but 2 or 3 for more power.  :o   I was really studying that.  I used a wrist rocket for years to "encourage" dumb ducks to get off the pond and take night shelter in the duck house.  I'd lob rocks in the water to shoo them in.  Our final decade of ducks were trained by Grpa Goose to come in....so I haven't been using it.  But I got pretty good.  ....rarely hit a duck by accident.  :duck1: And I was using rocks....not such an accurate trajectory as the uniform balls.  LOL

If my body won't cooperate, I do research to prep.

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

This week I picked up some sales on canned goods. Since we are not doing a garden next summer, thought it would be a good idea to get in on some of the sales.  Peas, corn and greenbeans were .27 a can with a limit of 15. So DH went with me and he used his card and I used mine and we were able to get 30 cans. I can use them in soups and stews. Been watching U-tube when I can on canning different things. That's where I saw them canning bacon, but I really am not to sure of that one. I am waiting now for boston butts to go on sale. Willl be picking up about 4 or 5 of them to can depending on the size of them. Some of them are rather large. So if that is the case when the sales start, I will only get about 3. 

Mt. Rider.  having family members with heart problems do present a whole new way of prepping.  Salt restrictions which is what got me back into canning back in the early 80's.  that was when DH had his stroke and was put on low salt restrictions. Been canning and gardening ever since. Next summer I will hit the farm markets. Might try to get my daughter to go with me to the carolina's to the markets there when she is inbetween college classes and has a day off from work. 

Need to pick up somemore food grade buckets. Need to get my noodles in the mylar bags and into buckets soon. Also want to get started on the meals in a jar and get them into the mylar bags and buckets as well.  Seems work just never ends around here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.