MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Cat

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is where to put this or not. Watching Fox news. Hannity.  Our income taxes are going up, death tax coming gas tax coming. They are raising taxes and putting taxes on things we are not taxed on is coming.  We are in the dog house for sure. Time to pull money and get prepared to pay the taxes while you might not have anything left to live on.  They are going to bring back the inheritance tax. So we will be taxed when we are born and taxed when we die. Not to mention we will be taxed to death in between life and death. 

• Sad 4
  • 4 months later...

Yesterday I ordered a set of 100 one gallon mylar bags with 300cc oxygen absorbers for $35.00 on Amazon. They should be here today. Next week I'm hitting Sams Club to fill them up. I'm getting a lot of different pasta's, noodles, instant potatoes etc. Also some rice and popcorn I already have. Then I'll store them in some buckets I already have. I have drink mixes and kool aid to store away too. I'm prepping for 1-4 so the 1 gal. size will fit my needs fine. Living alone, I like storing in smaller sizes. 

image.png

The price on this product has dropped!

Price drop
$49.99Old price
$34.99New price

$47.49 low Jun 22    $49.99 high Jun 29    $34.99today

• Like 4

Friends went out of state to help a son do some work on his house, and asks us to "gleen" their garden.  We picked every 3 days or so until Thursday, so I jarred up a lot of green beans, we've frozen a ton of tomatoes, I've still got bell peppers, sweet peppers, zucchinni and cucumbers to put up.  We're enjoying sandwiches with tomato, bell pepper and tomato! LOL  

I need to put up some sweet relish with the cucumbers...shortly!

Still moving our necessities to the homestead...and that's been preparing! LOL

• Like 4

Jeepers, that is a good price.  I need to get some things packaged up as well. But for now is on back burner. 

Hello WE2, Glad to see you back on at least for a little bit. Which we had people around here that did a garden, but in my neighborhood it seems I am the only one.  Wondering if I should put up a privacy fence. I keep talking about it but just not sure if I will or not. 

I was trying to empty the freezer, but with price of meat now. I have filled it up again. I have meat in fridge now, I need to get ready to go in freezer. Going to try after they are done with floors and before the work on fireplace starts to get as much as possible canned up. I know it is just me now, but the kids do not know how to can and are depending on me to can the food.  They want to learn but can't get anyone together to teach them. Got to work on that. This is a skill we all need to learn. 

What I am doing now is part of getting things prepared for what might be coming down the pipes. Once the fireplace is done, I will be calling market to get a couple cords of wood. It is sitting in the back of the market now. So just have to have it delivered. Need to go out and get my wood holders together and hunt down the tarps to cover it up. I want to keep it as wood burning for winter heat and to cook in if needed. That would cover heat and cooking, though I already have several methods for cooking in place. 

Right now a lot of things to be done is in the planning state and about to be done. 

When this is all over, I am taking a nice vacation. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Littlesister said:

They want to learn but can't get anyone together to teach them. Got to work on that. This is a skill we all need to learn. 

YouTube to the rescue!

For beginning canners I highly recommend RoseRed Homestead <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNXnzorI5nuqem74vPa31gw>

and Suttons' Daze <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_JPNIxSg8llJJTOupC86jQ>.

For establishing a "Traditional Foods Kitchen" you can't go wrong with Mary's Nest <https://www.youtube.com/user/MaryShrader>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Taking note that we might need more ginger and garlic..... 

Have lots of OTC meds after whatever hit us in Jan 2020.  Replaced what we'd used and more!!

MtRider  :fever: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went down to Lehman's today. I picked up a spare set of Berkey water filters. They had to run a price check on it and while I was standing there I noticed a small pink index card size sign in the corner of the plexiglass partition. It said Wednesday was senior citizen day and to ask for 15% off. So I did. And they did! All this time I've been going there and didn't know about it. Unless it's a new thing. I was happy to get it. Those things are expensive. 

Then I went to a bulk foods store and picked up some more almond vanilla granola to seal up and store away. That stuff is good to snack on or to use as cereal. 

Yesterday I ordered 2 more buckets of Augason Farms white wheat berries from Wal-Mart. They should be here tomorrow. They were $100.00 a bucket at Amazon and $40.00 for the same thing at Wal-Mart on-line. 

• Like 2

I canned pickles and tomatoes, does that count? Also....our wood cooking stove came in!! It's sitting pretty in the driveway as we aren't ready to bring it into the house just yet. We consider it a major prep for our family! Last winter wasn't so bad, until of course, it was. It was below 0* for about a week. We didn't loose power, but lived in our living room for the days it lasted with all the barn cats and our dogs. We lost a couple of chickens to the cold. If it happens again (and I think it will), I'm not confident that we will still have power. Being able to warm the house and be able to bake and cook would be awesome! Besides....I love the homey look it gives, and can't wait to have it set up. :)

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Hope you show pictures when you get it set up! Am excited for you!  That is awesome.  :cele:

Pickles and tomatoes definitely count.  :canning:

Thanks, Jeepers!! Part of my family thinks we're crazy, so I appreciate the encouragement!! That said, they think I'm less crazy this year than they did last year. :hapydancsmil:

• Haha 2
On 8/8/2021 at 4:57 AM, Midnightmom said:

YouTube to the rescue!

For beginning canners I highly recommend RoseRed Homestead <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNXnzorI5nuqem74vPa31gw>

and Suttons' Daze <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_JPNIxSg8llJJTOupC86jQ>.

For establishing a "Traditional Foods Kitchen" you can't go wrong with Mary's Nest <https://www.youtube.com/user/MaryShrader>

Well THAT was a rabbit hole. Where did my time go??? ^_^

Lots of great information there....thank you!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking that we're at a time that we need to ask what we are doing every DAY to prepare. World is crazy!!

I've been canning....canning....canning.

Basement is still a mess, though. I did take a nap with the 2 year old, though, does that count for anything?? ^_^

• Like 1

Right now my whole house is a mess. From moving office into the small bedroom and it is also where all my canned foods are. I had to take all my jars of food off the shelves and set in boxes for them to jack the floor up there so it would hold the weight. The guy that had to check the floor, saw my cans of food and told me his uncle had just canned 50 quarts of pickles. That is a lot of pickles. They have since finished up and I now have all the food back on shelves and the desk I ordered came in. So one side is office and other side is pantry.  I have a lot of noodles to get packaged up in mylar bags. I now have them all together, so just got to get that done and then find a place for all my 5 gal. buckets that is holding things like rice, and such that are in mylar bags. haven't quiet figured that one out yet, but working on it. I am also going to be looking to find a place to store water. Seems the water shortage will be coming down the pipes as it already has for some states. So far we have had nothing but rain this summer off and on. I want to get rain barrels set up as well as call the well guy. haven't gotten to the well yet with everything going on. But will be doing that within the next month as well as the new storm doors and hinges for the front door. 

Haven't done as much canning this year, as how things have been. Having a hard time getting myself going some days as that is to be expected with what I have been through the past couple of years and then loosing DH. But I know I need to keep prepping. 

Going to buy another small freezer to keep flour and such in that one. Already bought a new fridge for kitchen with old one going into garage for extras. I guess that counts as getting prepared. 

I feel as though we are running out of time to get prepared and a need to try harder to get some things into place. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Dehydrated and vacuumed sealed 6# of mixed veggies as a test. Worked great! Also, chopped 10lbs of tomatoes to freeze (not enough to can). Bought a couple of iron bread pans, hoping to use them in the wood stove this winter! There were a couple of other things we did, but I can't remember....:Blushing:

• Like 1

LOL   We are in the middle of a Stuff-Hit-Fan trial run.  Since the truck caught fire last week BEFORE my mom and DH got to the grocery :shopping:  ....and we were run way down on fresh veggies, milk, etc....   And then we had no vehicle to GET to a store.......  And now we have a vehicle but no store within my driving ability and DH's back is too bad right now to sit in a car.....  

So we're using this time to test the alternatives we've stocked:

--DH is using evaporated or condensed milk or coconut milk powder in his coffee.  All are adequate.  The canned milk needed to be used anyway.  :pc_coffee:

--We opened a can of dehydrated scrambled eggs and began using that this morning instead of fresh eggs.  Works just fine.  :) 

--Using some dehydrated mushrooms and sweet peppers that we dehydrated at the beginning of the 2020 COVID alarm.  Takes a bit of time to rehydrate but still adds nutrient/flavor.  I'd dehydrated a ton of onions at that time too but I'd already told DH to bring home onions on the previous trip to store.  :thumbs: 

--Made oatmeal and since I always add walnuts [still have them frozen] and raisins and molasses,  I eat it without milk anyway.  :shrug:  Like a wet oatmeal cookie.  :lol:  

--Will soon be out of bread, English muffins.....already out of bagels.  DH is going mostly low carb but I'm eating them.  So....I think we'd better learn how to make a tortilla dough that isn't so elastic that it won't roll or pat out easily.   This is the quickest bread-type I can think of.....and you can literally cook them on a hot rock.  I've tried before and have not had success.  Anyone have a sure-fire recipe/method for homemade tortillas?  :cook:   

[ I only use flour type but someone else might like corn tortillas]

MtRiders are trying to turn all these mini-crisis into a Dress Rehearsal for shortages.  :tinfoilhatsmile:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Joyfilled said:

Dehydrated and vacuumed sealed 6# of mixed veggies as a test. Worked great! Also, chopped 10lbs of tomatoes to freeze (not enough to can). Bought a couple of iron bread pans, hoping to use them in the wood stove this winter! There were a couple of other things we did, but I can't remember....:Blushing:

I have never thought of freezing tomatoes. Do you do do anything special to prepare them for freezing? What containers do you use?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, blessedhomemaker71 said:

I have never thought of freezing tomatoes. Do you do do anything special to prepare them for freezing? What containers do you use?

Hmmm...not really, other than washing and cutting out any bad spots as needed. I chop them and freeze them in ziplocs, then use them in soups and chili. Be warned, though, if you don't like the skin away from the tomato in the soup or chili, you won't like this. Or, alternatively, you could remove the skin? We don't mind, so I don't bother.

I also blend tomato, onion, garlic, salt and some tomato bullion for a Mexican pasta soup I make. I put that into freezer containers, in amounts that we use (about 2 cups). This is a little more watery in the end product than if it's done right before, but I don't mind as I add water to the soup anyway. It's a quick and easy way to put away a lot of tomatoes at once, and it's so nice in the middle of winter, knowing that you put them away in the peak of summer! :)

BTW, your home and mine look similar. My oldest (DD) is going on 21, DS (10), DD (8), DD (7), DS (2). It's fun! We call our oldest and youngest our "Bookends". :)

• Like 2

Thank you for the info, Joyfilled. I'm going to try it.

BTW, how arevyou all able to see my " signature". I don't see mine or anyone else's. It's probably old info because my oldest is 29 and youngest is 7 and I have 2 grandkids now, also. 😀

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, blessedhomemaker71 said:

Thank you for the info, Joyfilled. I'm going to try it.

BTW, how arevyou all able to see my " signature". I don't see mine or anyone else's. It's probably old info because my oldest is 29 and youngest is 7 and I have 2 grandkids now, also. 😀

Funny about the old signature....grandkids, I'm sure, add to the fun and love! :)

Hope the frozen tomatoes work for you! :)

• Like 1

Today we processed 30lbs of tomatoes and are making more spaghetti sauce to can.  Also, a quart of sauerkraut going. Our cabbage didn't do great this year, so that's all I got. I'm thinking to go to the farmer's market to make some more. I have a hankering for Reuben sandwiches!! ^_^

• Like 1