MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Cat

16 hours ago, blessedhomemaker71 said:

BTW, how arevyou all able to see my " signature". I don't see mine or anyone else's. It's probably old info because my oldest is 29 and youngest is 7 and I have 2 grandkids now, also. ūüėÄ

Click on your user name at the top of the page and select Account Settings from the drop down box. 1582964745_Capture1.JPG.c699d786e278afefdb622795279ad693.JPG

Next, from the Account Settings menu click on Signature.878251213_Capture2.thumb.JPG.bd592b7108ed14964d2bbb023fb3425a.JPG

See the Signature button? If you turn this off you will not be able to anyone's signatures and they will not be able to see yours.

448188222_Capture3.thumb.JPG.0280ed19fe5b0fdacfe9fc0eab9c5436.JPG

OTOH, if you want to keep your siggy active but just update it, you can click in the text box and edit the contents.

1149698079_Capture4.JPG.68cde1d9bf8f2fc63511368e2dbd0d00.JPG

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Thanks 2

Tortillas

1 1/2 c flour

1/2 t salt

1 1/2 T lard or solid fat

1/2 c hot water

Mix the first 3 then add water to form a ball.  More flour if too sticky, more water if too dry.  Divide into 7 balls and LET IT REST at least half an hour on the counter in a container or covered (DO NOT SKIP.)  Roll out flat using a sprinkle more flour if needed.  Fry each side about 30-45s each without using any oil or fat.  

If you are having bread issues, pancakes are bread and so are fritters.   Fritters make great buns.  You can also make muffin bread or savory quick bread and slice for sandwiches if you cannot conquer yeast.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yes, I've used pancakes for bread.....PB&J....other.  Should make some of those.  :thumbs:    Will definitely try your tortilla recipe....with the rest time.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  

DH actually is a great baker.....yeast breads and all.  We had to replace the oven element in our stove during the COVID lockdown.  Not complex but HARD to get the danged screws in place while half inside the oven....both of us!  But he was wanting to make quick breads.  So we got 'er done.

This time around....his back is badly injured so he's not doing anything but Quick-and-Done!  I'm picking up the slack and am :faint3:  toooo. 

MtRider  :cook: 

• Like 2

On the topic of things getting hard to find................

https://nypost.com/2021/09/12/paper-supply-is-thinning-due-to-delta-variant/

Talking about a shortage of PAPER.  Yes, like printer paper.  Not sure if spiral notebooks, 3-ring binder paper, etc are on the list or not?

MtRider  ....so much for paperless society.  :reading: 

I was so proud of myself today....I've been roasting tomatoes and onions to use for Creamy Tomato Soup in the colder months. Today I remembered....it calls for fresh basil, of which I have a ton right now!! I'm so thankful I remembered....I went ahead and made the soup, and now only will need to add whole cream when I make it. Talk about a bit of summer on a cold winter night! We have enough for at least 5-6 meals.

Also, Mom and I cut up 3.5 quarts of tomatoes and froze them. They will be good for chili and soups....I love cooler weather!! :)

• Like 4

I have been going through things all over the house. What I can't use or just needs to go because of having so much stuff is getting packed up and out of house. Have made a couple of trips to Good will and more is going. went through a ton of cookbooks past couple of days and boxed up 5 boxes to go.  As I do all of this, I am taken inventory of things I need and things I have. This is so I will know what I need to buy and what is well stocked. 

I have inventoried  all vitamins, pain meds cold meds etc. I am working on a shelve in closet to put all of this in alphabetical order so I can find what I need fast instead of having hunt through things. Going through the first aid stuff as well. I have all that together now, so it is just going through to make sure I have everything I need. I did pick up another box of band aids. Can't have to many of those. 

I have most of the canned foods inventoried and just going to add to that as I can from freezer. 

Clothes, I think I am good on but could use some more tea shirts. I am good for messing those up. Also looking into buying another pair of good quality tennis shoes and rain boots. 

Need to check on rather I need anymore towels, sheets, blankets, and such there as well as all paper products. 

I am trying to get a handle on things and watching prices go way up and the economy crashing. Not to mention we have not seen shortages yet like we are going to see. Things are going to get much worse.  I am also looking into heat sources, other ways to cook such as a Dakota fire pit. And other means to can if we loose electric and gas. I have a propane stove in shed but need someone to get it off the loft for me. Then I need to clean it up and check it out in hopes it still works. Dh made it for me. We used it a lot for camping, but have not tried to can on it. He made it from an old gas stove. Going to be calling about the well in a few days. Will be needing a source for water also.  Can you tell how much I trust our government.

• Like 5

Littlesister, it sounds like you are doing great in your preps! I'm doing a similar thing. I got rid of a ton of books last year too.  I'm keeping all of my prep books, which is still a lot. But novels etc. are either on Kindle or out the door. I have trouble with the small print on books these days anyway. I'm keeping some of the novel type books that I would reread but only one box full. A year after I donated those books I still haven't missed a single one of them. In fact I don't even remember what most of them were.

I'm also accessing my holes. I think I'm pretty good in the clothing department for years to come. Except I could use a pair of rain boots. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe two pair. One pair for yard/garden work. Ones that can be rinsed off. Maybe Crocs. 

I'm really low on blankets too. I could use two queen size and two twin size. I have the comforters that came with the 'bed-in-a-bag' sets but I need some blankets for layering or for couch time. 

When canning outdoors be sure you have the correct BTU's for your canner. Some of the outdoor grills are too hot for canners. They will warp them and ruin them. I can't remember what the numbers are right now. I should have that written down...someplace. :rolleyes: 

Joyfilled, tomato basil soup sounds so good right now. Even better this winter.  :yum3:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Some of the outdoor grills are too hot for canners.

i just ordered a flame disburser plate for my outdoor canning burner.  I'll keep the flame a bit lower anyway, but think this will help.

• Like 3

I think burner is the correct term. Not 'grill'. As my grandma used to say, "Don't go by what I say but what I mean." :grinning-smiley-044:

One of these. This one looks pretty nice. Wish I had one of those. The only outdoor cookery I have is an old fire pit situated under some pine trees.  :rolleyes:

Canning Burner.jpg

• Like 4

Jeepers, what I have is nothing like that. Though I do have a couple of those. The one I want to use for canning is one made from an actual gas kitchen stove. DH took 2 burners out of it and made a steal case to put the burners in. The BTU is like what I have in kitchen now, so is high enough for canning. If I can get someone over here to get it off the loft for me, I will take a picture and try to post it on here. I am not good at getting pictures moved from one place to another, but will be trying. I need to get all the grills, burners like the one you posted above, plus the one Dh made and get them cleaned up and check them out. Want to make sure they are in good working order. I now have 4 propane tanks all full and going to buy 2 more and fill those. That will give me 6 to work with. Need to do that before propane goes up. 

I am getting tired now and it is still early yet.  Got everything off the bookcases in den and all cleaned up. Daughter is taken the knickknacks I don't want to keep. So will be packing those up for her. I always give the kids a chance to pick through everything before I get rid of it all. Can't believe none of them wanted cookbooks. They all use Pinterest for recipes now. So no books. I still like the books. Though Pinterest has a lot of good ones. 

I have a lot of survival books that I want to keep, but moving those to a different location in house. Not sure yet as to the best way to organize it all. The living room, dinning room, kitchen and den are mostly all open and I don't want people coming in and seeing all my supplies, so working on a totally different solution to the problem. This house has a huge storage issue. Hoping to figure it all out soon.

• Like 2

I would like to have a regular stove to cook out on too. Lucky you. I remember my grandma had an apartment size stove when she sized down. It would be perfect. Or even a two burner drop in gas top stove. So many ideas...so little time and money.  Sigh.

I don't know what's worse. Too little space or too much space. The Indy house has a lot of storage but that only means you want to store more stuff.  What's that saying, "Nature abhors a vacuum." Same theory applies to an empty closet. Or something like that. 

When I want to add a picture I:

1.  Put it on my desktop

2. Open it in Paint to size it down and save it

3. Drag and drop it from the desktop in to a post. 

If it becomes more complicated than that I can forget about it. 

• Like 2

DH worked for the natural gas company and also they had propane. So he has this house gassed up. My grill has been converted to natural gas. Most of my house is run by natural gas. Hot water, clothes dryer, stove, and heat. We used to have a natural gas air conditioner, but at the time the gas company paid for most of it. Back then it only cost us $50 to run everything.  Then later they sold out to another gas company and he lost that. the new company wouldn't pay for anyone's gas bills after that move. Nice while it lasted though.

This house does not have a pantry and the kitchen is a small U shaped kitchen. The cabinets don't hold a lot and that is why some of my pans, food, and such is in other parts of house or in garage. One of the reasons I want to have something done in the remodel I am going to be doing. I am working on some sort of a plan and then will talk to the contractors when they come. Fireplace and main bathroom will be a must have.  As they say, the 60's are calling and they want their house back. Other than windows and doors, we really never got around to doing much in the way of remodeling. If I don't upgrade some things, I don't think I could sell this house very easy. Still not sure if I will sell or not, but come end of February, the last of my family is moving to SC. So it is something to think about if I want to be near them. Not getting any younger so time to think about it. It has all been hard on me with loosing Dh and family all moving away in less than a year. But when your job says you are moving, you have no choice and then of course military moves and the one still here getting ready to graduate college and off to SC for PA school. They are planning to settle in SC. 

• Like 3

Mt. Rider, I have both you and your Dh in prayer. Hoping his back will get better soon. it is hard to take up that slack when your health is not good either.   But we do what we have to in order to keep things going. I know full well how that can be. 

• Thanks 1

When we remodeled the kitchen to be wheelchair friendly we put in two drop in stove tops, one electric glass top, the other a heavy duty LP gas hooked to our 500gal. LP tank.  We keep that topped off.  One thing we did was make sure the stove would light without electricity.  We can light this one with both a match and a striker like they use for welders.  Two stoves we looked at would not. We already have two antique double cast iron canning stoves and a wood cook stove or three but this one will be more convenient.  

I have been buying the sales the last two weeks.  Today DH and I divided 20 pounds of chicken hind quarters for the freezer. Paid $.49 a pound.  We probably won’t see those prices again any time soon. Got bananas at $.29 a pound. Six large hands of them. Froze some and am dehydrating the rest.

• Like 4
On 9/16/2021 at 8:23 PM, Littlesister said:

I have a propane stove in shed but need someone to get it off the loft for me. Then I need to clean it up and check it out in hopes it still works. Dh made it for me. We used it a lot for camping, but have not tried to can on it.

Leisa at Sutton's Daze has been asked several times about canning outside, etc. If I remember correctly, her reply was to know the BTU's of your heat source and how much your canner will stand before warping, etc. The info should be in your canner's manual. If you don't have it anymore, contact the manufacturer of you canner and inquire about it. I would hate to see you ruin your canner! :canning:

• Like 3

I haven't done any prepping for so long.  DH was bedbound for a long  time and since he died 10 months  ago I have been in a daze. I really need to get down and organized since the world is getting more crazy and dangerous and likelier for disruptions.

• Sad 6

Momo, I understand all to well where you are coming from.  I also had put prepping on back burner taken care of Dh for the past 2 years.  It has been 7 months now and I think I am just beginning to come out of that daze.  I haven't done much canning in the past couple of years other than some chicken and barbeque. Now I am trying to declutter the house and get rid of stuff I haven't used in years. If I am not going to use it then it is no need to keep it. I need the room for my can goods, paper goods, etc. this house is not much on storage. I have all closets full of stuff that I need to go through and reorganize, plus trying to get things together for repairs on the house. Still waiting on dressers and a fridge. Thinking of getting a second freezer. I did order some freeze dried #10 cans of veggies. They should be here in 2 or 3 weeks and I need to make room for them.  It has been a very hard 2-1/2 years, and it will take time. But I know I have to get prepared for what is coming.  Hard times indeed. And it keeps me busy and my mind off of things. 

Take care Momo, you will get there. I know it is rough but I also know what is going on in the world and that is what is getting me to start prepping again.  :hug3:

:pray::pray:  for everyone on here trying to get things together for hard times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello-I haven't posted in a really long time. DH and I have been working harder at our preps as of late. We ran into a little snag this last week. I ordered some food from LDS. It says right on the outside of the box what the contents were. Where is everyone getting there emergency foods that come incognito? DH says we need to cool it on ordering anymore emergency food as the UPS driver made a comment about all of our dehydrated food we had ordered. It wasn't even that much stuff. Now we are the weird ones in town. UGH! It wouldn't bother me if my husband wasn't in the public eye, but he is. Not sure how to remedy that one except do exactly what he says and cool it for awhile. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Hello Jayceef.  Glad to see you here. It has been a long time. 

You could have everything delivered to the UPS office and pick it all up there. You also might see if they will send things in an unmarked box instead of being so anyone can see what it is.  Seems we all have to be careful how we order on line these days. Don't need prying eyes on what we are doing.  I just placed another order from Rainy day foods. they said the prices are about to go up due to packaging cost.  Now I just need to find a place to store it all. 

• Like 2

:wave: Jaycee’s.  Glad to see you popping in.  It’s tough to prep and still keep a low profile.  Especially when you are well known.  It’s a shame that people still consider stocking up to be odd. With all the supply chain glitches, empty shelves and shortages we’ve had this last year or more you’d think everyone would be getting supplies delivered.  Perhaps the next time the USP driver makes a comment you just need to reply that you bet he’s seeing a lot of that on his route given the times.  Make him think.  :whistling:

• Like 2

My preps have been on the back burner for well over a year due to Dh's health. I am now trying to organize but not adding to much to my preps other than filling in the holes on things that are getting very low.  Decluttering as much as I can to get things more organized and clearing out closets as well. It is slow going as I have no help with getting the hard things done, but getting there. I am done with buying a lot of food, but instead focusing on raised bed gardens and maybe a privacy fence down the line. The things I am doing now is double checking security around the house. Doors, windows, black out curtains and things like that. Don't ask me why I am turning my focus back on these things. It is something that has been tugging at me now for a while to make sure these things are done. But for the reason for that I do not know. Just a hunch that something bad is going to happen as if things cannot get any worse.

• Like 2

Momo, try not to be too discouraged I think we have all stepped back from prepping at one time or another for what ever reason. I know I have too! Start back up slowly and you will get the hang of it again. Start in one small area and get it organized and ready to fill back up. It will happen for you. Just go at your own pace. As Littlesister said, "It keeps me busy and my mind off of things."

Jayceef, great to see you posting.  :welcome: home.

I've had food delivered saying what's inside too. I hate when they do that. Some sites tell you ahead of time and some don't. Some give the option of shipping in a plain box. Most don't. On some sites you can give special delivery instructions to the driver. Like, "Deliver to back door. Or put in side yard"  What is worse for me is when they deliver in the box the item comes in. Like they just picked it off of the store shelf with no shipping container at all and set it on the porch. That really makes me angry. Especially when it's sitting on the front porch all day. The last time they did that it was a canner. :banghead:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We have a different driver now than when we were ordering a lot of things in 2020.  Yet......people have long memories for some things.  He did know that we were retired and disabled and it was COVID.......  SO, ordering things delivered wouldn't seem as noteworthy.  But most things were in plain boxes....except what tore open.  { thanks Amazon}  <_<  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1