MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Cat

ok found an article on DEC about it, they prohibited it in 2013 but I know it was 2014 when the ones at Rulfs were hunted down. Still, i see the point made about the eradication efforts. Well I wish them luck. As long as things remain civilized, I have no problem with that. But if they don't, and one became a bother to me, I would probably think differently at that time, ha.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Both of us came away with good reports.  I'll go in for 4 week followup and...if I choose...fitted for glasses.  I'm probably going to wait on the glasses thing until we get back from our EXTENDED tri

Hung out a couple of loads of laundry this morning...had to wear the heavy duty sunglasses...neighbors probably wouldn't want to share their thoughts   Pulled a pint jar of last years spiced pears, du

I've been going through the pantry and trying to use up things with looming expiration dates.  For example, we don't drink milk but I always have a few cans of evaporated milk on hand for the very occ

Posted Images

Making use of preps...furnace is "on break" until repair gets here after noon, so the EdenPure is putting out some nice warm air and the Remington is on standby if needed. Guess this is what one would call being glad you did prepare?

Furnace just needed a good cleaning...our bad! Good thing to know it wasn't anything that involved actual repair & parts :-) We'll have it services again this spring (which I used to do every year) and hopefully won't face any further issues with this heating system since we want to sell the house this next year.

MtRider to Sass.....the ancient DrWho's on DVDs are :thumbs::thumbs: Free thru our library tho we watched them weekly on TV in 'the old days'. I don't have TV anymore so haven't seen more than a few of the post 1980's Doctor. {thread drift} :P

Edited by Mt_Rider

A Tobias Menzies is in both Outlander Series from Starz TV and in this Dr Who series. He is a superb actor. Very nice fellow as are many of the actors in Outlander, they don't even mind you joining them for a picture in the pub after work. Very gracious about it. Very different attitude about it than many American actors and its refreshing. They are all very nice people and just take their work seriously. Not sure if your version is the same one Tobias Menzies is in. I will let ya figure that out.

My Doctors were from the 40s (?)...50s, 60s, 70s. The earliest Doctors are long dead, I'd guess. My favorite of those eras was the curly haired guy that always wore a super long winter scarf. Have no idea what names of the actors. Special effects have changed enormously in that time period, of course. Dr. Who was born in the glorious early days of SciFi. There was a gap of a couple decades [i think] when no DrWho programs were being made. Then....the "modern era" of Who.

MtRider :coffeescreen:

Stopped at Menards and picked up ten 5 gal. buckets, then to Lowe's for 10 gasket seal lids (not gamma) so we could sort through some stuffs at the roost and put it in buckets & get it sealed up. Went to Aldi's and picked up 16# of pinto beans (will keep 3 pkgs in a bucket for short term canning use), some tomato juice, onions and 4# of beans are soaking...will can some pork-n-beans tomorrow after we get the potatoes canned...stopped by Sav-A-Lot for another bag of 'taters...just to make sure we had enough :-) Won't can any veggies until we have the time to "get 'er done"! LOL

I'm so thankful we added insulation to our attic at Christmas time. The furnace doesn't run as much/ We can roll the extra money into finishing this fixer-upper.

An interesting thing happened when we went to the county bldg dept and applied for the electrical and plumbing permits so we could install the basement bathroom. The county clerk said there was a "hold" on the property and we couldn't get a permit. We were stunned!! :0327:

It appears that a complaint was filed on the property about 3 years ago. The explanation was that the homeowner was a "hoarder". Have you ever heard anything more rediculous in your life?? :gaah:

We explained we purchased the home around that time and the title was free of any leins, etc. We mentioned that the former owner had died and we cleaned out the home for her absent family. We assured the bldg dept that the home was in excellent condition and they could come and inspect it if they needed to. The clerk said that it wasn't necessary, and hit the "delete" button. :buttercup:

We were issued the permits and walked out of the bldg still stunned. Who gives them the right to deny permits based on the way someone cleans their house!???

Homesteader, it happens all of the time. I watch 2 different TV shows about hoarders and some of them are threatened with evection...from their own property...that they own. The city can, and do, come in and will fine you, put you in jail and take away your property if it isn't up to code. I've seen it happen on the TV shows. Their reasons are many. Some for their rats and roaches 'visiting' their neighbors and for the stench permeating the neighborhood. They also devalue their neighbors property because most of them store their 'treasures' outside because there is no more room inside. Another reason is because most hoarder homes are fire hazards. So it endangers other peoples homes, fire fighters and EMT when they have to enter the house. Many homes can not carry the load of 'stuff' in the houses and many are falling apart unbeknownst to the owner. When it falls, or when people fall through the floor, they need help getting out and then firemen and EMT have to risk their lives trying to save them. Also many have animals inside that are in serious need of medical care. True hoarding is a form of mental illness. It is different from a messy house. Youtube "Hoarders" and you will get an eye full. It's really pretty sad and eye opening at the same time.

Finished canning the hamburger, sausage, chicken, beef, pepperoni, canadian bacon, pork-n-beans and 'taters are next. Have a few jars that we still need to remove the rings & wash the jars but the canning part is done!

• Canned 4 lbs chicken breast, 3 lbs ground beef and 2 lbs stew beef

Going through my fridges and freezers eating and dehydrating everything until what's left can fit in a cooler then we're firing the fridges and one of the freezers

Bought a FoodSaver and starting to vacuum seal everything in sight

Ordered more trays for my dehydrator

Built me a new fireless cooker

Began working a stash of cloth pad and pantyliners for my girls and I

Re-discovered MrsSurvival :hapydancsmil: (been gone a looooooooong time!)

Finished canning the hamburger, sausage, chicken, beef, pepperoni, canadian bacon, pork-n-beans and 'taters are next. Have a few jars that we still need to remove the rings & wash the jars but the canning part is done!

Finished the beans and 'taters. Them thar beans are scrumptuous if I do say so misself :-)

• Canned 4 lbs chicken breast, 3 lbs ground beef and 2 lbs stew beef
  • Going through my fridges and freezers eating and dehydrating everything until what's left can fit in a cooler then we're firing the fridges and one of the freezers
  • Bought a FoodSaver and starting to vacuum seal everything in sight
  • Ordered more trays for my dehydrator
  • Built me a new fireless cooker
  • Began working a stash of cloth pad and pantyliners for my girls and I
  • Re-discovered MrsSurvival :hapydancsmil: (been gone a looooooooong time!)

Sounds like what the WE2's do :-) Canning, dehydrating & vacuum sealing...our favorite things. Solar cooking too :-) Congrats on your accomplishments!

Yes, you have been gone a looooong time. Welcome back, Goatlady!

MtRider :wave:

Had to back off for a while, got so overwhelmed I just about drowned!Even now I have to "turn off" a lot of what's going on these days or I'll become completely paralyzed again :( . Trying to get back in the swing of things. Several moves and bouts of hard times pretty much decimated my preps (then again, they served their purpose! We never went hungry no matter how hard things got! Pickin's got a mite slim at the end though LOL) so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

Sounds like what the WE2's do :-) Canning, dehydrating & vacuum sealing...our favorite things. Solar cooking too :-) Congrats on your accomplishments!

I'm hoping to add a solar cooker to the mix this summer! Trying to do SOMETHING every day. Prepping like Dorry lol "Just keep prepping, just keep prepping" LOL

My chickens are laying. It took them 2 weeks to adjust and begin to lay.

Oh goodness Annarchy! I though you said your CHILDREN were laying! :laughkick: . (and thank you, glad to be back :D )

I am glad you are on the rebound, Goat Lady. Good to have you back in the fold. Life throws us curves some times. I just figured out I have to wrestle with a bank, and not sure how to handle it. They are doing something that is truly abominable, and it's absolutely wrong and can really mess a person up. Any person.

Sigh, one more thing.... I have about gotten to the point where if the economy crashed I would be a bit relieved, and hopefully end up in a more productive phase to my life after all, lol. Hence I prep. ( And I would have a good chuckle about that bank going down with the rest of 'em).

Trying to manage Plan A ( regular life) and Plan B, alternative as needed..... just looking forward to when the day time temps go up to the 40's again. A few weeks for my locale..... then I can start actively pursuing some of my tasks I have in mind.

I am wondering if these past few days politics will bring on more closures than the one that was postponed for the week, something that will cause major problems for many these days if so... so keeping an eye on the news online as the next few weeks go by. I am tired of the games they play.

I regret not having enough gumption to move to Missouri over twenty years ago to buy some cheap land and make a homestead back then, like I considered doing. I really do. I should have.

I think we all have some regrets Sass :( . I sure do! There are things I wish so bad I could go back and change! I got stubborn and ornery way too late in the game, trying to make up for lost time now trying not to think too much about missed opportunities and making the best decisions I can NOW, not letting people who don't care about our family's well-being call the shots! I guess you can say my horns finally grew in ;) .

But Goatlady, as you say.....your hard times proved WHY we prep! The Hooey Hits the Fan in many ways....big and small, short term/long term. Many of us have had to use the preps for what they are there for! That's a testimony for what we already know.....prepping works. But then, it's kind of a panic to be without them, or have them run down so far. Yet, knowledge was gained on how well the preps we had worked....and how we might prep better now.

I know I"m always uneasy about USING the preps. Not so much the rotation of goods. But using them heavily. Cuz WHAT IF....the big one hits while my preps are low. :unsure::unsure: It's not very logical thinking. Of course we need to use them whenever we NEED them. It's something I have to keep in check within myself. It's never a good time to be low on preps but.... :shrug: .....we don't always get to chose.

Never a good time for house/grounds/preps to be in such disarray as mine are now either. But :shrug: ...we don't always get to chose. :pray: I'm pretty sure of what we're missing and need to restock. I THINK we can manage that right....about....now!

MtRider .....if I could ever crawl out from under these snowdrifts... :frozen:

My preps haven't been this low in many yrs, but a major move, building a new home from scratch and major expenses have made it nearly impossible to resupply. Once I get some debt cleared, I'll be back at it though. As it is, we are off grid with solar electric, wood heat, roof catch water with 1500 gal cistern and snug but tiny and unfinished home. No garden or orchard and the ground is hilly, rocky and tree covered. Got the goats, a few geese and a big dog. LOTS to do yet. We just all have to hang in there and keep encouraging one another.