MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm definitely not a pro in crochet, but I love making these fishnet poncho's. I just slip them on over about anything that matches the color I will be wearing. The multi-colored blue one is in puruvian alpaca and bleeds like the dickens when wet, so I'll not be doing any more work in alpaca that has to be washed :-( The red one is just plain simple wool yard. The pewter & light blue is a mix of "Remember" yard (the pewter) and cheap light blue yarn. They're very simple to make; I measure the length from my upper arms, across the front and chain crochet that distance. The gauge of your yarn will make a difference! One you've chained the width you want, then turn and single crochet one row to the end. Then turn and single crochet again, to the end. Turn, and chain 4, then skip 3 stitches & double crochet in the 4th stitch. Continue to the end, then turn, chain 4 and skip 3, and DC in the 4th DC space (not the stitch itself, just in the space left by the last row). Continue this until you reach the length you want on your poncho, then turn and do at least two rows of single crochet.. (Sometimes I make more than two rows, just to make the poncho a bit "fancier" at the top and bottom) When at the end, slip stitch, tie off and trim yard (leave about an inch so you can hide it when your work is complete). This will be one side.

Do the same thing for the other side; giving you a front and a back.

SHOULDERS:

Place sides together and count the number of holes/spaces from the shoulder edge to where you want the neck hole to start. Then join the top of the shoulder either by using a yarn needle or by pulling yarn through with your crochet hook. Do this for both shoulders.

SIDES:

Start at the bottom, count the number of "holes" (fishnet) up to where you want to begin your arm hole...be sure to leave plenty of arm room since you'll be wearing it over other clothing, and after all...it is a poncho!

Join the sides the same way you've joined the top of your shoulders, and tie off the same way.

HIDING:

To hide my end yarns, I just pull it though another stitch, working my way downward on the side or across, whichever you prefer.

I then turn the poncho inside out, get it wet under warm water & than hang it on a hanger in my tub and let it air dry.

When I want to wear one, I just use one of my pretty "brouch pins" on one shoulder.

You can also pull some pretty silk ribbons through the fishnet holes to make a waist belt or ???

Hope this makes sense to you, and hope you enjoy making them as much as I do!

post-9087-0-23141900-1420735762_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-38429100-1420735794_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-44026300-1420735816_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

These are quite decorative. Around here they would be handy in iffy spring time and for summer cover ups when you go swimming at the lake or pond beaches. I have downloaded some free pdf patterns from yarn inspirations site on knit ponchos . I always liked ponchos and they can serve as a blanket if you make it full size. But I would change the collar on some of them as I cannot stand thick turtleneck style. ( I have a book for sweater construction and it has instructions for all typical collars one might choose. )

You could get some handdyed wool from a reputable producer of it..... so many though, from what I can see end up bleeding in the wash, so sometimes you need to do a vinegar mordant procedure before you knit it up these days. I love the various colorways that dyers create though. They can be fabulous knit up .

After I get my socks under control, and do a scarf, I want to do blankets and a nice shawl as main projects. I am setting aside a blue self striping ( for socks actually, the yarn is made for) so I am thinking it might look pretty neat in wider knitting , as an affect. Other complimentary coloring I can add for yarn to make it the size I will need will be grey, black and white tones) All of which the same brand does make so I know I can get similar yarn so it all works in the construction of the blanket well enough. It might just end up a baby blanket for my grandson to be...... or afghan throw size for me. Not sure..... but ordered it with Christmas money.

Will also be able to use up baby yarns sent in a stash box to me some time ago, now ( phew! ) A poncho I would do in woodland colors I think, when I get around to it, but probably after a good car coat. Still, they can be fancy and delicate or sturdy and with knitting, can do dense fabric and are a comfortable addition to any wardrobe used in many different settings. Fashionable ones come in all different lengths and some with hoods too , if you look around.

With crochet , and how this is done it's a fun, quick project.

Lionbrand.com has lots of crochet and knit patterns to download free for many things like ponchos too, many of those are more densely crochet'd if you want something that will block wind.

Yep...quick and a quick "change up" for just about any long sleeved blouse. They look really neat over poly-type insulated underwear/shirts....black, white or whatever color you can find. For bulkier wind-breaking properties, I only have to change the size of the yarn and the needle. I've made some really warm sweaters (not this pattern) using just basic stitches, but using two strands of yarn...ie: a pink and a light blue...but crocheting it as one strand of yard. VERY bulky and VERY warm. Just a front, a back and two sleeves and attach :-) Just never did any knitting to speak of even though I have all the needles I'd ever need, my sis is the wiz at that :-)