MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

"What's in the bowl? "

I would love to know your favorites that go in a bowl to eat.

It can be anything from your version of HOBO STEW to Gourmet casseroles, Soups, slow cooker stuff, or Desserts and Fruit dishes. Veggie mixes and spices or sauces you like to 'create' or use. I generally do hot breakfasts so cereal is a non issue for me , and if I wanted it, I got it figured out. Most do, so I am looking at other things that people tend to eat for another meal or a hearty snack or desserts. ( Yes, mug recipes are fine too). I use an oven since I threw the old microwave out and found 20 mins at 350 generally works for mug cakes, etc . Perhaps a pie tin size baking pan is used when I make small baked or roasted amounts of food, which is very adaptable for camp cooking and baking as well if you create an oven or have one available.

What comes off the griddle or grill is great too..... but how do you make it work in a bowl? ( Layering, and how would that work for you? )

Anything helpful for a diabetic diet of Low Carbs and Higher Proteins and Healthy Fats, would be great too. Desserts not super loaded with sugar would be great. I am trying to get more ideas. Something in a medium tortilla is simple and good too, and manageable on my diabetic regimen. It will maybe end up resting partly on side of said bowl, but , you get the idea, right? Breaded chicken patties and fish are fine too. A lot of white rice is not , but a wild mix is great.

Any budget foods welcome too.

Anything for camping is great too. Or emergency style eating. One bowl and cup per person makes for easier clean up duties. A small plate perhaps , if you are limited on pack space.

Finger foods are good too. Nothing super hard to chew please, lol.

I guess I have just put the challenge out. Let's see what folks come up with .

:cook::feedme::cook::yum3:

Tortilla soup: Basic Chicken soup, add a small can of tomato sauce and simmer. Put a small handful of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of the bowl, pour hot soup over and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.

Taco salad. Oatmeal or cream of wheat with a little honey & butter. Chicken a la king. Beef stroganoff. Chicken or tuna casserole...

Tortilla wraps:

Scrambled egg. Optional: add diced onion, potato, and/or cheese.

Grilled steak, diced. Wrap in warm tortilla. Optional: add diced tomato, onion, sour cream or cream cheese, lettuce, and/or avocado.

So much more...

Looking forward to seeing what others come up with.

My first thought was a chicken gravy (with chunks of chicken in it) over rice.. easy to adjust the amount of chicken in the gravy and the type of rice (we use mainly brown rice). If you like mixed foods you can easily add in some corn or green beans to make it a one dish meal.

cottage cheese with fresh fruit makes a yummy high protein snack or dessert

skewered meats and veggies that you grill go on top of salad or rice nicely.. I have a favorite marinade around here that is only used for like 30-60 minutes so you don't have to remember to use it early in the day.

a pasta prima vera with grilled chicken would be great too.. adjust the amounts to what works for you (maybe a whole grain pasta?)

I like a beef stew made without tomatoes but all the other standard veggies and maybe some wine tossed in.

You can use up leftover meats or just brown something (I will often just use hamburger) and then some gravy, layer in your baking pan with the meat and gravy on the bottom toss on some veggies and then cover with a thinned out biscuit dough.

The last one sounds easy, Suncat. I pretty much know about the rest. This at least jogs my own memory for more variety to work on again. I think it is also about adjusting to cooking for one adult . Even a camper bowl of enamel metal could be used to make a pot pie style dish, covered in foil or another enamel plate set near the coals to just bake it til it is done, if camping and cooking.