MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annarchy

One Second After

Jeepers, our library has the book. DH just put a hold on it for when it comes back in. He'll pick it up for me. Sounds interesting!

MtRider :reading:

I enjoyed One Second After, and don't remember the sex scenes either, but like MT R, I would have skipped through that. Think I'll dig it out and skim through it again.

Nice to see you post Virginia! I've not read the book, but based on what you've said and what Jeeps has said, I think I'll check our library and see if it's available :-)

Mt.Rider, I didn't read the book (I don't think) but listen to the book on tape/CD. Whomever reads it sounds just like an old Native American woman. I assume the actual book is as good.

WE2, I had to put it on hold at the library. It's been so long since I read it I'd like to reread it.

MtRider :imoksmiley: ....let's establish a Gault's Gultch for all us "old women" and we'll turn out better than the youngsters :wink (2):

I'm in. :thumbs:

This 'old lady' has been struggling lately with health issues.

After I read this book, one of DH's friends gave us another one. I did not like it at all. In fact, I was completely offended. That said, its title lead me to believe it was similar to One Second After. NOT. It actually promotes the marauders, going into intensive detail what to do, how to do it and who to target- preppers. The book calls them convince stores. It also recommended that the reader start stealing from their friends/family now, in order to have enough supplies by the time SHTF, by rummaging through their medicine cabinets and such. Unbelievable. :animal0017:

DH and I discussed it and his recommendation was to view the content as a glimpse into the marauder's mentality. That is what/how/why they are going to be doing what they do. Scary stuff. I am way too compassionate/old/honest, to consider harming anyone or taking their limited supplies, just because I want it.

I pray it does not come to that.

:ph34r:

I always skip over the sex, violence and weapons sections. I guess it's because I don't care about anyone else's sex life and I don't like the macho violence. Regular violence is okay with me to a point. I'm aware that last sentence didn't make sense. And I don't know anything about gun caliber and what each one can do. It's just over my head and I don't care. I can skip a few pages but if I see that it's going to be a running theme I delete the book. I'm not offended by it...I just don't care. I also don't like happy/sappy endings. That isn't the way my 'real life' happens so I don't relate. And while I'm on my own little bandwagon, I don't like millionaire's swooping in. It ain't happening in my life and I don't know a single person that that has happened to or ever will happen to. I think it's sort of a cop out. I guess I'm missing the 'fantasy gene'. If I can't apply some of the situation to me and learn something, then it doesn't hold my interest. Too many "F-bombs" will get the delete button too regardless of how good the book is.

What I am searching for, and can't find, is a book about someone who has a feeling, or maybe knows, that the stuff is about to hit the fan and what they do (in detail) to prepare for it. What they plant, how they preserve it and quantity. What all they buy and store away for a 'stay in place' situation and why and what they have in their medical storage they have put away. I guess sort of like a one year diary of what one NORMAL suburban type family does to prepare for TEOTWAWKI. Not a family who already has a 40 acre farm and not a wealthy family, or sex starved teens or Neanderthal men whose first and only thought is rape. Is that too much to ask for? :icon19:

I guess I'm looking for a detailed PRE-SHTF read. Anyone know of anything even close? Does it even exist?

This is one of the books I liked because it was closer to regular people Ordinary World There is one major battle.. but a lot of it is a slow slide into economic collapse and the people aren't perfectly prepared for everything but try to get there and how they manage.

I don't know of any fiction like that, Jeepers. Maybe one of us needs to write it!

I don't skim over stuff. I put the book down and stop reading if it even looks like heading in the wrong direction.

Edited by CrabGrassAcres

Thanks Suncat, I'll check it out.

Thanks you too CGA. I have that one downloaded and the real book too. I'm going to have to revisit it though because I know I have it but I can't remember reading it.

One good thing about short memory issues is I can read the same book over and over and still think it's new. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jeepers, I started reading it and deleted the link. I didn't realize they had so much of their religion in that manual. Sorry, I can't feel right about recommending it now.

I have not read One Second After but I would like to.

Maybe ya'll would like this book. I came across is several years ago and totally liked it. I think it is 99 chapters long.

http://thisismesurviving.blogspot.com/2010/01/prologue.html

This is Me Surviving

A fictionalized coming of age account of a teenage girl's effort to survive when the world as she knew it came to an end. - Story Complete

:wormie2:

John

Annarchy.....ick. I wouldn't want to read that book. I've heard of those that plan to prey upon preppers. Ones that stock up bullets and figure on taking their beans from others. <_<

Which one are we talking about with too much religion? I'm confused. :scratchhead:

Wormie....I went to that link ...a Web Ring???? What are you supposed to do to find that story? Do you have to join?

MtRider :scratchhead: Still confused. ....not that there's anything new in that....

Edited by Mt_Rider

No worries CGA. I can just read around stuff and look for any prep info I may not have.

We also look deeper into books...the how to's etc.

I like family type prepper themes too. I've read lots of them ....freebies, of course. But I'll have to think on it and try to dig some up. Read a couple good ones recently but read so many and have no working memory so..... :rolleyes: Don't know when they'd be free again tho. You have read all the neat books our MrsS members have down in Fireside, right?

MtRider :reading:

I think I've read the ones here, Mt Rider.

Wormy, that story started to open then the page went to a web ring and I didnt see that story there. Don't know what happened.

Mt. Rider, CGA's was the LDS Preparedness Manual. I like it because I NEED lists etc. I can skim a lot of stuff if I think there is something valuable I can use in it especially an 'educational' book instead of a novel.

I didn't have any problems with Wormy's site. Thanks! I bookmarked it to read later. Here is the link I used. The chapters are over on the right hand side. I'm assuming I have the correct website. Correct me if I'm wrong

http://thisismesurviving.blogspot.com/2010/01/prologue.html

Okaaay.....if you like a fast-paced, tension short story.. by Halffast [who wrote Lights Out] This one is called Bug Out.

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/the-bug-out-a-short-story.1806/

There is a place to click to download the pdf ...just above the comments section.

SPOILER ALERT **** SPOILER ALERT*****SPOILER ALERT

I'd read this years ago. Didn't like the ending. Only skimmed the ending while reading it again now. BUT it's a GOOD portrayal of a disorganized Bug Out. Worth reading. I'm afraid we can all relate too well to this story, in fact. If you and yours are piddling around with your BugOut plans and packing.....read it all the way to the end.

If you reallllllly like happy ending stories, stop reading when they get to the clogged bridge. Make up your own ending. :shrug:

You have been warned.... :darth duck:

MtRider :sassing:

I just finished reading One Second After. Been sitting in my TBR pile for a few years and I finally got to it. I thought it had some good points. Definitely a wake up call to those who haven't started prepping already.

This one and the Left Behind series are really good. Most of the others ones I've read so far have been fantasy/sci-fi/post-apocalyptic. Can still pick up some preparedness ideas from them though while being entertained.

Last year we were able to purchase a whole box full of the Left Behind series (I think they're all there, plus some extras?) for $3 from a library clearance :-) Will be kind of interesting to read "after the fact" won't they?

Great find on the Left Behind series. They grab your attention pretty fast. I had to pace myself through that series. Of course, I didn't have all of them on hand when I started reading them.

I'm bringing this topic back up because....

"One Year After" comes out September 15th. !!!

and BTW, there is no sex in "One Second After", just that part already mentioned about them waking up in bed.

"One Second After" is hands down my favorite book in the EMP/SHTF topics.

a close second is the "Going Home" series by A. American. No sex, but lots of F bombs.

There is another series by G. Michael Hopf, "The End" and its sequels. Its ok, but not as good, with plenty of F bombs.

Robie :reading:

Thanks for the heads up Robie. One Second After is still my favorite too.

I hate all of the F-Bombs in books these days. It makes it very difficult to recommend a book. I heard somewhere that if authors don't throw a couple of them in, then their books will be listed in the 'juvenile' or 'young adult' section and won't be taken seriously by the adult crowd. The same with movies. No F-Bomb and it can be rated PG instead of PG-17 or R. I don't know how true that is. I've deleted a lot of books because I just couldn't stand to keep repeating 'that' word in my mind while reading it. And I'm no prude but...enough. I digressed again.

P.S. Remind us again about One Year After...please. I know I'll forget.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.