MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sassenach

Spring Conditions in various regions and countries 2015

We are having flooding now. Nothing like Tx. but a lot for us since this town is on a hill. It has been raining for 4 days and sometimes VERY heavy. Standing water everywhere and the storm drains are full adding to the standing water problem. It came from Indy so this might be what's coming your way Sass. Not much in the way of storms but tons of rain.

I was wondering how you were doing , Jeepers ,and how Indiana is too. ( Cat).

We are on flood watch tonight and tomorrow, so I will see how the creeks run here tonight and tomorrow . Luckily I got some extra sleep this morning - afternoon. Woke up extremely tired and couldn't really wake up good so went to sleep again for several hours after being up a few. Not that I want to stay up late, but I needed the extra rest I guess. Been a rough week or so around here, personally. So I guess it's fair. I was worn out.

Upstate NY.

A few days back I found out my DS's storage was still ok at the time in DFW but now I don't know with their continued flooding situations. I hope so but so many have lost homes and lives and such and I can't imagine the real cost so far. What a mess. I don't think these are typical known cyclic storms either.

It does feel like the world is gone upside down. With so many natural anomalies going on , volcanos and flooding and bigger quakes starting up or swarms of them. Of course the biggie some dutch fellow predicted didn't happen in Calif area. So, that's that on that so far. Still, things are going on.

I know its terrible but its interesting too, so much power. We are like fleas in the sand when this stuff starts up as far as nature is concerned. It's sad when it affects so much though.

I would like to go fishing......... but.... it's toooooo wet outside just now. LOL. If we get a couple sunny days after this I will be grateful no matter what happens. And its supposed to be nicer next week for my trip dates to Albany so that would be something I would be grateful for. If its close on the forecast marks it would be ok to go. I need to get those appts. done and over for the year. ( Trying to rejog things so I can do most of it in the summer months because its too darn cold to stand outside for almost three hours in February around here. )

All last week we've been around 105+. 110 yesterday, in the shade, with no relief in site. :knary: Summer is here in the desert.

Jeepers, I'd say 'you get used to it', but I'd be lying. :girlneener: I guess, since I was born here, you do actually do develop a tolerance to it, but, only until you can find AC.

Today, 109 in the shade. Moved the chicken tractor close to the trunk of the pine tree to give them more shade.

It could get to 118F in the mojave. It is hot, that is for sure. Be too hot for me now.

I used to work outside all day in it, lol. gads. Not now, thankyou.

The rain has let up now, the river is full I am sure. I think they had to close a bridge crossing that comes in to town here on the Boquet, but my creeks are ok. The big one came up about five feet, but had about six to go this afternoon before it would go over the road and flood here, so I am relieved the storm is passing.

I have gotten a look at apartments over in the other building and they are rather cozy with a medium paneling and are decent. Skip the tub though, my unit won't have one. Oh well. It will still be an easier place to organize and just felt better, the overall energy and there is a big closet in the living rooms so that will be for camp gear and winter jackets and stuff.

I should be able to move in physically after the 6th. Coordinating things with all the bureaucratic folks involved is a headache but I will get it all figured out. Everyone has different hours and days of work. :grinning-smiley-044:

As it is , won't really need much furniture, just stuff for the living room, since I can actually use the bedroom for sleeping in over there. Right now it will be camp chairs and plastic table and ottoman's, lol and my 'work' table I guess.

Couple more area rugs. Its wooden floors and thats fine. I am sick of lousy carpet. Miss Macy will just have to run and slide around the corners on her new running route through the apartment when she goes for her nightly runs. She has a blast but I bet it surprises her.

It will be much easier to keep clean. The kitchens are more square so I will see how that goes, probably better than this long narrow one. I am sure I will need shelves or those assemble yourself cupboards over some time. Thats ok. There will be room for them. Counter tops are decent and such too, better than what I ended up with here.

It's just kind of a relief. I will need some more new blinds but have two already , waiting and they will go in my bedroom windows. I look forward to it. I should have room to set up my cot for anyone needing to stay in town overnight, in the second bedroom too and my crafting and knitting stuff. I bet if I got a ham radio that G would put up a small antenna on the roof edge for me with the cable for it, in time. So, getting some ideas.

He is getting concerned himself about things nationally and internationally. He didn't blink an eye when I said I thought things would probably fail and I would end up in the woods with no check coming in again. I told him I was gathering my stuff to do just that if need be. He just nodded , agreed it was good to be prepared. He met a young man tonight that came over from the Ukraine recently, this young man understands this too and G is beginning to wonder. Maybe we can form a team to deal with such a thing if it comes down to it, and another couple. And hey, he knows how to build to code, lol. Or he might know someone in the area , with land, I could build a small shelter on and as long as I kept it safe and neat it wouldn't be an issue, if I needed to. I will check into that over time. It's just a thing I thought of asking him. other than that its head out to the wilderness areas and that is a bit far out, but could be done. At least its not polluted land or water back there. But it would be nice to have a good connection or two and he does know a lot of folks around here in two or three counties.

Maybe in a few weeks I can take an overnighter and hike into a nice pond on a flat trail I have been wanting to explore. I need a break from the block here.

If the weather gradually improves I can do that.

Edited by sassenach

Weather Warning:

2 hurricanes are moving up Mexico's coast, heading toward Cabo San Lucas. They are predicting the path to come up between AZ & NM. Either way, it looks like more moisture for TX.

If we get any rain, it will be a blessing.

Good luck on the move, Arby. Sounds like a better place for you!

It has been cool and very rainy here. Nobody has been able to get their gardens in. I've got goslings in the house still because they won't get out of the rain and are still downy. They go out in the day when I'm home and it isn't raining. It has been so wet that the setting geese didn't hatch anything. The nests stayed too wet and the eggs rotted. I bought goslings from a hatchery though.

Might have to move faster than planned. Land lady is illegally giving me grief at present location. I will just sum it up that way.

Today was cool but nice as the storm clouds finally cleared out and it was sunny.

I am so tired of mean people. I am so mad right now I am spitting nails. Im paid up officially til the end of the month anyway, that was part of initial payments to move in almost 8 yrs ago.

Anyway. I am done. She's not getting anything more.

Has been staying just above freezing at night [down to 38 degrees two nights ago] so we're planting potatoes. Finally. We always plant with long strands already growing. Handle with care and they do just fine. The purple potatoes have purple "snakes" growing. We're also planting some that my gardening friend gave us to eat last fall. New variety she tried and got red taters the size of softballs. Huge! Wonderful taste. We'll see on our horrid little patch of dirt ....with long rooted thistle plants and lots of grass clumps to remove before planting anything. When I gardened at her place two years, it seemed like the Garden of Eden compared to this!

Real garden soil, climate is on my wish list! :lois:

OK today....I called up the Doppler Radar...my constant companion and reference guide for summer. Was startled to see a glob right over us....yellow, red and even purplish in intensity. Huh? :scratchhead: I'm looking out the open door at sunny, blue skies with white puffy clouds. So I went outside and leaned over the porch rail to peer behind the house. OH...THAT'S WHERE YOU ARE! Yikes...very dark clouds in the north. That batch slid by without much but rumbles. But all of CO has scattered small blobs on radar today. :behindsofa: And most have some intensity of thunderstorms. More flooding in places likely.

So far nothing is quite close enough to unplug computer and other devices. But the sun is gone, replaced with darker bluish clouds....distant rumbles of thunder.

MtRider .....Incoming...... :hidingsmile:

Our temps have been pretty mild so far but we have had tons of rain. It rained everyday this weekend, rained today and supposed to rain the next two days. Even when it isn't raining it's wet and nasty out. I still need to get a couple of shrubs to put out but I know the garden centers are a mess. I don't want to put wet leaky muddy pots in the Jeep even though I have a tarp like thing in it stuff still manages to escape onto the carpeted area. :blush:

Lots of rain in our area too, some nearly every day for nearly two weeks or so. Nothing really hard, but just those "sporadic" clouds that dump and go on :-) Temps have been pretty hot (90's) for several days, and several days when the humidity was awful...the streets and sidewalks were sweating big time :-(

It was raining hard again this morning here too, Jeepers is just passing it along to me I guess. LOL. At least it has not actually flooded. I had to laugh because the new apartment , manager and his coworker whom I know somewhat, had to dig ditches to lay some pipe today in two places.

Looks like the great big frig in the apartment there needs to be replaced, but I just have to find time to clean the oven out, which......well....... manager agreed, the dude probably did lay meat right on the racks and cook it without a pan. ( OMGOSH). I just shook my head.

I have run into many batchelor style cooks and sometimes I combine weird stuff and call it a meal, but hey, now...... this is way worse than washing your socks in the dish washer.

So, it's humid and actually a lovely breeze going on so I had windows open and they open the doors in that building and I kept ours open here, the security door. No escapees here anyhow. Well it helps and it was nice and fresh smelling, that breeze, so it was nice as I walked back and forth on the landing and brought things over today. Was not hot really and that helps but I do work up some perspiring. I am getting lots of exercise and bruises, lol, even the knuckles of my fingers , the ones on the end.... after a rest its ok though, but carrying those bins , wow.

Miss Macy is a bit spooked and wants needy treats as things continue to disappear from here by my own doing......... still, shes sort of enjoying it. She plops herself down , all laid out long and at ease under the window fan air flow, and she must be feeling more sure; 'cause right now she's running about getting some exercise like she likes to do.

We have had several flood watches and the creeks are roaring but it hasn't flooded luckily but we can't take much more of these onslaughts either.

I do not know how folks gardening is going either, around the country where there is so much water raining down so often. Nature sure has gotten busy this season!

HUGE rain today. Deafening Downpour! We got one of the bad pockets of storm that are floating alllll over CO today. Oh good heavens! Rivers of water pouring down the STEEP mountain sides. Had to stop two encroachments that began to pour water from the hillside toward back of the house. Had a river running underneath the 2nd floor porch...right where we walk to get into garage/basement. Leaving lots of mud. River flowing down the steps from goat pen. Lots and lots of mini-rivers!

THEN I go out to feed tonite ...hurry between storm systems which I'm watching on the Doppler. So I get old princess horse into paddock for some extra grain. She's still somewhat thin and she's been wet most of the day. Just a bit to charge her up to keep warm tonite. Got ducks started on their food. Took Koa down to our dead end road for a very fast run....boy is she loving this - even tho it began to rain.

Flew back to my place JUST IN TIME TO SEE MY IDIOT PRINCESS HORSE half-submerged in our overflowing creek and tangled in the wire fencing. What? You couldn't wait 7 minutes for me to return and let you out to be with your beloved mate [who would scarf all her food if not separated while she eats......and he's fat!] Yep, the idiot tried to leap the swollen creek and the fencing. Cuz last December it worked in that spot....and we had to chase her down the road in frigid temps after dark. Yep, she's a repeat idiot!

:banghead: I do wish God would have given horses just a few more brain cells.

So I'm panicking from the truck. Zipped in the driveway and slammed on the brakes to slow WAY DOWN. The flooding across driveway from the overflowing creek is higher than I'VE EVER SEEN IT HERE IN THE PAST COUPLE DECADES. I assume that parts north of us have gotten the downpouring rain as well and are feeding our creek. Aiiiiieeeeee!

Princess was able to kick free of the fence wire [not barbed....smooth wire for stoooopid horses! but it still cuts] and haul herself out of the creek. Her whole back half was in that frigid, fast-flowing water..laying half on her side! So then she's soaked, MUDDY, freezing, and BLEEDING down THREE OF FOUR LEGS. :0327:

Did I mention that it's now pouring down rain again ....with lightning cracking overhead? Yeah, but if you're tending to your livestock, you can't be struck by lightning, right. :shakinghead: Well how about putting both soaked horses in halters and tying the lead ropes to the metal T posts....which are connected to the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG lengths of wire fencing? Lightning strikes anywhere on the wire, it zapps back to where they are tied. Don't think a grounded T-post would stop it. Shock carries up the soaked lead ropes. And I'm under the soaked horse trying to get an old, tattered horse blanket adjusted to fit her tiny, skinny body. She's shaking so bad....kinda shocky from the creek swallowing her, and FREEZING! :frozen:

So I finally get it adjusted and she can start to warm up.....like a wet suit tho cuz it's not waterproof. Then I grab NINE 7-up bottles [cleaned and now filled with water for exactly this sort of emergency] from my truck. I'm pouring them on allll her cuts. When I finally clear the blood and mud, cuts don't look too bad. Given a nice big dry barn [don't have one....only a small dry shelter which she REFUSED TO GO INTO] ..I definitely would have bandaged one of the leg cuts. But considering it's pouring and she's standing in ever-increasing mud, ....that's not gonna happen. One cut is down the shin bone....like ours. Not deep but OWIE and she's holding that leg up. I saw her run on it so no tendon cut. Whew! But she was NOT happy with me pouring water rather forcefully down her sore legs....over and over till I've used up all 9 bottles. Grabbing a headlamp [always carry extra stuff with me...point of use tool storage!] I could see she had damage but did not need vet. [WHO would come out to work in weather like this?]

Then I got to the corner of paddock where I can just happen to get cordless house phone signal. Called DH and MIRACLE.....he answered. "DROP EVERYTHING AND GET HOME!" I yelled into the phone. Kept cutting in and out cuz I'm too antsy to hold still in the single position that picks up the signal. He got the message and I explained that it's not vet-worthy but I NEED HELP! Sooner is better. He'd just been going to go into grocery store. He's still a half hour out and has not run into rain. Had no idea I was wrestling with such weather....and a stoooopid horse! SUCH a drama queen. Hysterical reaction if separated by inches from her beloved. Argh! Idiot!

So once she's standing calmly [on three legs] nose to nose with Beloved, I got grab shovel from dead van [aka: tool storage now] and proceed for the next forty minutes to dig out my driveway drainage ditches. Making them twice as big as the first time. They are not letting enough water drain from the driveway fast enough. The pond is about to overflow completely. Usually it's just in the lower spots. The creek is long gone....the whole pasture north of the pond is one big flowing flood that empties into the pond. A culvert under driveway carries water from pond to continuation of the creek on to the south. There is water SPEWING out of the culvert on the other side at high force! Two yards from that is where Princess decided to go for a swim. Shhhheeeeeeeesh! Lucky she was able to right herself and get free of wires. Easily could have drowned.

After working so hard with shovel, I got overheated and didn't care if I got wet. Lightning continued....and I ignored it. I NEVER ignore lightning safety.....but with two crisis going on at once....I kinda lost track of rain/lightning. Was not wearing waterproof boots [don't currently have a pair] and the nylon, insulated pair were soaked. Jeans muddy and soaked. I was wearing a good rain coat with hood ...and a baseball cap to keep the hood out of my vision...mostly. ALMOST didn't put on raincoat cuz.....I was just going to be out there for 15 minutes and come back inside! :shakinghead:

DH got home....slowed down going thru huge lake now covering part of the driveway, despite my enlarge canals to divert the water. He went up to change clothes in my truck...which was blocking his. I did more work on canals. Horses just standing there in driving rain. He brought down lot of First Aid stuff but only could wash out all the cuts with WARM Betadine water. Princess liked the warm water better than my cold water from 7-up bottles. But I'd dare not leave them tied there while I'd go up to the house. Princess would probably try something stupid and strangle both of them.

So we let both of them go. They can go up to high ground for tonight....very high ground! Would surely liked to have done more for her. But if a horse refuses the shelter you have...there is nothing more you can do and a night with pouring down rain. And lightning. :shrug: After more than two hours of battling with floods from the overflowing pond and the [fortunately] minor wounds from idiot horse.....I was more than ready to get inside. It's gotten dark long ago by now.

Stripped out of all soaked, muddy clothes. I used dryer on my long....soaked, hair. DH made the chef's salad for supper that I'd intended to make. OYE.....going to bed now.

:blink: .....never seen this much flooding before. Up by the house, it's fine other than mini-rivers flowing in odd places. We're on the really high ground ..WAY above creek/pond. Have to be Noah's flood to reach our house. But still not as high as the rest of the ridge so water is still flowing down to house from higher ground. Did NOT flood under big garage door this time. I keep a 8" berm in front of that......cuz it's flooded basement several times. So....there is still rain in the general region.

We've stopped here for now but so many scattered small cells today...tonite. Heard on news that several communities are experiencing flash flooding. { Ya THINK?} :blink: Water will continue to rise after rain stops cuz it keeps flowing to lower ground...picking up more water and speed as it goes. Tomorrow might be interesting. Have never been trapped....unable to cross that part of the driveway on foot or with vehicle. We'll see in the morning....or if we have more rain?

MtRider ....un-B-lievable! God, please watch over these isolated areas of flood in our state this night. And my idiot horse... :offtobed:

Princess is ok this morning. And it's cloudy/rainy already. Driveway still flowing with some pond water but not like last night. We'll see if DH's cell phone [dropped out of his bag last night] will survive the wet. Was in a case but not a sealed case. :unsure:

I'm not really needing the extra trauma and drama right now..... :twister3:

MtRider :tinfoilhatsmile:

Cloudy again today, then downpour about 3 or so...just in time for MrWE2 to come home from putting a light fixture up for a friend.

I can't remember a day when we haven't had rain. And heavy rain too. I was going to put off mowing until tomorrow because I knew it was kind of wet on both sides of my yard and I thought another day would help dry it up. We got up to 83 today. Good thing I didn't wait. It started pouring down again around 8:00pm.

Hot here, what's new?

100* by 10:00 am.... 112* at 3:00pm... Just-a-nother day in the Sonoran desert.... :knary:

Was TX any cooler, Annarchy?

CO has been no-rain for what...3 days? Dust on the roads already. :rolleyes: But rain is back in the forecast.

I think I might like the PNW.....tho not the city of Seattle, of course. I'm happy we have rain/clouds returning!!!! My dad and I both get SO overheated. In a post-grid situation, we'd be living in the basement to stay cool enough to sustain life. :knary:

MtRider :wave:

TX was nice, comparatively speaking. Only in the high 90's low 100's.

Felt nice to be out of the blazing heat for a week.

This morning at dawn a cloud floating near the mountains had a little lightening flashes. Then, it faded away. Clear skies and warm now.

Been in the 90's around our neck of the woods, and rain quite often. Did get a break so we could mow at the Roost! Took Abby-girl for a frisbie run at the dog park, the to the Roost to check on things & return some books. Took the ride in Miss B! Picked up a dozen eggs from the librarian friend...$2 a dozen and they're brown, tan and light blue :-) She's just started selling her eggs since she purchased some additional hens awhile back. Cheaper than the store and we KNOW these girls are happy layers :-)

Lots of storms, the last one today missed me by quite a few miles but did damage where it did hit I guess. VT mostly. It wasn't too bad and next few days should be fairly dry. I can go for drier air, lol. I am done moving my stuff over. Need to do a quick clean up over there and turn over the keys. I am so bruised and sore in so many fibro affected areas of my body after these past two weeks about, and could not really hustle it like I used to . Paid a cheap 12 pack for the guys who carried over my big shelf I am turning into a window seat and my total gym I now have room to use . It weighs over a 100 lbs. Considering the whimpy condition my arms and shoulders and such are in , this is a good thing.

There is much better airflow in this place and lots more windows and light at least in one part of living room and my bedroom I chose. Internet is switched, Power is switched and IM heating water for bathing and dishes at this point cause I need to get the propane account in my name and don't want to get in trouble using the hot water. Should be able to square that away soon. I have such a list of things I still am obligated to do and things have been rough on certain situations.

Miss Macy has adjusted and is fine.

I at least sorted things out in the move. So I generally now know where the main prep things are and was glad to find more sock yarn and more peanut butter and honeyville cans. I can actually use some of two of them right now. Camp gear is easier to get to now and one day I will sort out the big pack soon.

I picked up four cans of oven cleaner for that oven here....... cannot believe what the previous resident did to it... these and the steel soap pads , I sure hope work.

Now I just need organizing stuff and a file cabinet and bookshelves over time. More of the book shelves. Some portable cupboards and shelving in the kitchen.

did I need another challenge or two? LOL. I guess so .

The good Lord answered my prayer about helping me waken earlier. I have been waking up around 430am to 6 am. I am tuckered out by 9, pushing it a bit tonight but can sleep in . For several weeks now. So I am getting used to it and this is a huge change for me. I was just hoping to waken by 7am! Makes me think its very important to do this, since it's happening so simply and easily. Absolutely a God thing, cause I was nearly turned completely around on sleep schedules for so long and that just does not work in society.

Or if you need to be a farmer.

I am going to take a day off or at least a morning or afternoon in the next few days and go fishing at Lincoln Pond. Its a huge pond, more like a small lake actually and lots of fish there. With all the rain, its safer to shore fish there than along the rivers here right now. A couple days of dry weather will have them biting again too, I bet. Well, maybe. It is supposed to stay pretty dry for about four days here. Fishing sounds good and fried fish would be excellent about now.

I have earned a fishing trip.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.