MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeepers

New Windows 10

I wish they would just leave things alone or give us a choice.

June 1, 2015 11:41 am

Microsoft announced today that it will be launching Windows 10 on July 29th, encouraging Windows 7 and 8.1 users to reserve their free upgrade with a notification in their task bar. However, while the company has been busy highlighting all the shiny new features in the upcoming OS, it's been a bit quieter when it comes to spelling out the limitations — including making updates automatic for Windows 10 Home users.

Say goodbye to hearts and desktop gadgets

Firstly there are the software losses. Most of these will only affect a small number of users, but upgrading will mean saying goodbye to Windows Media Center, the card game Hearts, and Windows 7's desktop gadgets. Anyone in the habit of using floppy disks on Windows will also have to install new drivers, and Microsoft warns that watching DVDs will also require "separate playback software." Microsoft manager Gabriel Aul has said on Twitter that a DVD option for Windows 10 is coming "later this year," but early upgraders can always download VLC instead.

In addition to the software losses, there are also a number of limitations for some of Windows 10's most exciting features. Cortana will only be available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain at launch, while Windows Hello (which offers support for various biometric passwords) will need an infrared camera for facial recognition, or a supported fingerprint reader. The Xbox Music and Xbox Video streaming apps will also be constrained by the usual, complex web of region-based licenses.

More annoyingly, perhaps, Microsoft has also changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available. System requirements for the new OS have also been detailed, with PCs and tablets needing to pass a fairly low bar: a 1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a display resolution of at least 1,024 x 600 are required. These specs are a bit higher for the 64-bit version of Windows 10 but for these details and more, you can check out Microsoft's full specs page.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

Auto-updates? Face recognition? I guess nothing is 'safe' anymore.

Sounds to me, like they will be able to acquire all your computer info all the time.

Annarchy, that's what jumped out at me too. Also where you can't watch your own DVD's without getting separate software. And instant updates whether you want them or not makes me mad too. Sounds like someone somewhere will have control of your computer at all times. Pffft, they probably already do.

I have the little icon on my toolbar now. That's what caused me to go searching.

Yeah, Jeep. That little icon appeared on my laptop bar too. Feel like setting traps for the rats that come prowling on my screen.

MtRider :tapfoot:

:sigh:

The news reported,several schools in our area are getting "Crome Books" for every single one of their high school students. They are "proud" to inform the public they will be "teaching" the teachers how to use them, to teach the kids. :shakinghead:

:ph34r:

We also got a little notification square through our Norton that the Norton compatible 10 was available for our new laptop as well as one on our task bar. I clicked out of Norton. I just ignore the one on our taskbar. Don't feel like going into the startup to remove the alert...right now. We both know NOT to click on it.

I went on my task bar and clicked on the little arrow that says 'show hidden icons'. Then I clicked on the 'customize' link. Then I clicked on the 'Windows' area (GWX) under where it says 'behaviors' and a drop down box allowed me to select 'hide icon an notifications'. I did that and that Windows icon went away on my task bar. :cheer:

Until I turned my computer on the next time. It's baaaaaack. :P

The only thing that happens when you click on that icon is it shows a pop up that explains about Windows 10. It says you can reserve Windows 10 and it will automatically down load after July 29th. Also if you do that it says you can get the Windows 10 upgrade for free saving you $119.00. (Not a trial)

Jeepers, we found a 'service' to be turned off, that will stop that. I do not remember the odd name. Do a search, you will find the info, we did.