MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Loaded for BEAR

Augh.....the summer's barely begun and we've had at least two bears in our neighborhood. The first was little BooBoo bear....likely looking for "pic-a-nic baskets" . In case someone wasn't paying attention to their bear-proofing this early. He was about my size.....last year's model. An adolescent. They can be quite unpredictable tho, so ya gotta watch out.

It was Koa who spotted him [or her]. We'd only gotten in the house about 5 minutes. She set off a "Ya gotta come check this out!" caliber of barking. When I got the binoculars on it, (and hadn't told her "Never Mind" ), Koa took that as the license it was. Launched into the next caliber of "Hey YOU! GIT OFF MY LAND!" :thumbs: It did. I went inside to call the south neighbors...let them know to bring in their small dogs and watch their horses. [heard later the guy was wondering what had gotten the horses stirred up!]

Then Koa goes off again and snarling toward the north side. [i think she loves this stuff!] I came out too late to see that BooBoo had probably back-tracked thru again and headed in the other direction. See what I mean about adolescents and unpredictability? So I'm on the phone quick to neighbors on that side. We do that 'round here. Give each other Bear Alerts. I was glad Koa had the experience so now she knows that smell. Holler LOUD on that smell! Praise for her when she spots something important is the phrase: "Yeah! You SAW!....Good dog!" ....yeah, she loves her job!

========

Not long after that, I got a Bear Alert back from north neighbor. Different bear. We always pass on the description and this sure was not BooBoo. This was a very large male. We only have a species of "Black bear" this close to civilization. But "Black" bears come in a variety of colors. BooBoo is coal black. This male is apparently brown. This bear took down and killed A HORSE....very close to us. This is highly unusual. :runcirclsmiley2:

We were passing this alert for miles around...cuz they have huge territories. :( I've been in this general region for over two decades and I've only heard of one other horse-kill. Highly unusual. And he marked his kill as his! So the "authorities" were going to wait by the carcass and shoot him. Don't think it happened tho. Think he's still here. :behindsofa:

So immediately, everyone notches up to HIGH BEAR ALERT. I carry bear spray ALWAYS. 365 days a year.....even tho they hibernate. Cuz it will work on other species too. But bear spray is a close-in defense. It's light-weight but....it's only a deterrent. A bear that brings down a horse would be suspected of being of a mind to bring down anything. I'm a LOT smaller than a horse. :hidingsmile:

Now I lug a rifle out to my vehicle. Can't carry the thing when I walk the dog....too heavy for my disabled-old body. But I went up in caliber for the handgun. Dang thing is so heavy! :groooansmileyf: I can shoot it but I nearly can't carry that either. Pulls my back out so I have to carry it midline in the body. But it's either that or teach the dog to take her walk outside the window as I drive the truck.

Actually, I might teach her that too! Big Dog knew how to walk with a vehicle. My goats know how. Even my horses knew how. Not the current horses...and NEVER the donkey! :grinning-smiley-044: DH lost his shoulder one day trying that! Stupid donkey! Taught the horses so I could get them out during a fire EVAC.

And this is early. We had ZERO bear sightings [doesn't mean they weren't here] last summer. I hope BigBrown goes on up to higher altitudes!!!!! But if you live with large predators, you get vigilant and stay vigilant! :blink: And Koa will certainly give me advanced warning......and will attack first if necessary. I just have to be able to back her up ....and try to get us both outta there!

One does not ever wish to engage a bear.....unless you have zero choice. :sigh::pray:

=================

I finally found a site that describes how to combine Beekeeping with Bears.

http://www.sustainablehomesteading.com/bee-keeping/build-bear-proof-bee-fence/

Looks a lot like the garden fencing that my friend built....deterrent for bear, deer, and elk.

If we settle some place again, I'd love to have bees. I've bookmarked this page. I'd say this guy "loaded for bear" in building Fort Knox for his bees. The damage I've seen here....you'd need at least this. A determined bear can get into any building on this property...including the house! But Koa and I have that covered too.

MtRider ......wild, wild West

Edited by Mt_Rider

Yep. I have seen some absolutely huge black bears around here in the Adirondacks. Like small VW bugs they are, when full grown. They eat very well around here. That older bear is a killer for sure. I hope you remain safe. I am glad you have Koa and big loads for your gun. Remember if you are around stuff, you can use it to brace the pistol and hands if need be, use both hands to shoot with , better likely hood of hitting the bear. I hope it's a 45 cal. Nothing less usually is effective with one shot.

Well my back was hurting so much I didn't think I could haul an adequate protection on our walk. Sooooo....Koa learned how to walk along the truck. She loved going fast-walking. These LDS breeds have a ground-eating pace that they like to use. I cannot keep that speed for her if she's walking with me. But the truck....about 3 mph. We have nice flat road in front of our house. She had the happy grin with tongue hanging out when we were done. But she'd dropped down to a walk by then and I just toodled the truck beside her. She gets to ride on the curvy hill driveway tho. This solved a problem I didn't know I had until tonight.

MtRider ...yeah, Sass. Be careful our your own bears in those eastern woods! Especially if you catch fish! :grouphug:

Edited by Mt_Rider

They can come looking for any reason, lol. but yes you still have to be alert when fishing. Also moose, you need to avoid them. Dem big! and will flatten you and toss ya around if they choose to. Elk are so much easier basically except during rutting season. Cook at least fifty feet away from tent areas too, when camping or BOBin out. Drips and such attract them by smell.

or teach the dog to take her walk outside the window as I drive the truck.

This solved a problem I didn't know I had until tonight :cele: :happy0203:

Biggest hand gun I have is .38 special. Not sure I want to go bigger, but was just informed today that there are bear in my area. I'm assuming an electric fence with 1 joule charger will keep them out of the goat pasture?

Nope,

no matter of electric fence will keep a determined bear out. They rob bee trees and pay no attention to the stings, so be warned.

This is the only thing I've ever seen that looks like it MIGHT work. That person is up here in these Mts of mine somewhere and has had luck with this barricade for her hives. For all the work and expense, I think I'll keep buying honey for now.

http://www.sustainablehomesteading.com/bee-keeping/build-bear-proof-bee-fence/

MtRider ...I just figure any critter who can literally tear the doors off of vehicles [locked or unlocked] is very hard to keep out. :scratchhead:

>45 cal, at least, CGA. Most bears can be scared away but if they get a taste for livestock or humans, its best to just kill them, because authorities will only do so much. There are a lot of uses for bear fat even though you may not want to use it cooking. Meat, well its good stew meat I guess. Freezer time. Makes a real nice rug if you tan the skin and leave the hair on. Use the brains and liver, boiled up with some water when it comes to softening it. So its like gluey liquid. Rub in with a dauber of wood that is round and smooth on the working end, let it dry then work it by hand to soften it up when you are finishing the hide. If you have a good skinning knife shaped knife you can use that to scrape the meat and bits from the skin after its skinned out. Stake it out in the shade and devote some hours to it to scrape the hide, let it dry, then use the fatty gluey solution, rubbed in, let dry again. Soften up and smoke over a rack with the skin down and smokey fire under it in the yard , you can roll and freeze a hide or salt it with plain salt and roll it up for a couple days if need be but freezing is better, if you cannot immediately work it. Smoking the skin will help prevent water damage to it later, and keep it from shrinking if you never tanned hides before.

Hey MTR, be sure to get some hunting softpoints for that old Mosin. It's heavy enough for bear (Russian equivalent of .30-06 essentially). The only thing a handgun will do, is piss off the bear.

Hey there, Vic!!! NOT planning on shooting ANY bear. Plan on making loud noise from Koa and my hardware. Plan on gittin' mine and Koa's behinds outta there.

First rule: Don't be there.

Second rule: Scare and intimidate....from a distance while getting out of there.

Third rule: Carry as heavy as you can carry and deal with it. Cuz if I can't carry it while doing chores or walking dog.....I'm not going to have it WITH ME.

Fourth rule: Have some back up hardware that you can't carry....somewhere nearby. THAT I do in bear season. Officially....my folks had a bear so THIS is bear season. Change of chores protocols - back to bear season now. Hmph. The heavier handgun is only to make time to return to truck and get my hands on the more effective and TOO HEAVY to carry hardware.

....soft points, huh? I'll pass that along to DH. He's in charge of such things. With that one, I am dead-eye shot....but it has to be propped up. It will swing and sway too much while I try to hold it up otherwise. Back end of the truck's tailgate with a dog barking my ear off....that would work.

MtRider ...yeah, it's bear season up here in the CO Rockies... :darth duck:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.