What Are You Grateful for Today?

Grateful the nasty headache that developed overnight is finally receding. Whooo....not a good time....nice when it will be gone entirely. :wacko:

Grateful that my folks are still alive and nearby....went to visit yesterday.

MtRider :amen:

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm grateful a new puppy (for SDP) arrived in the Boston area from Austria safe and sound last night. She is 5 months old and a real shiny black beauty. She is already bigger than my 17 in. Beagle was full grown.

I'm also grateful my tractor didn't back fire on me this time. :blush:

I set the throttle on full force from start to finish and no problems. I have 35 miles on her.

Gratitude - I have it, too. :wub:

Yes, for each one of you here. 16 years of "you"s, and each one precious in your own ways. I wonder how many are chatting in Heaven with Westbrook, FloridaGal, and others. Far too many have drifted away and we don't know why.

I'm grateful for the clean bill of health. Especially since my mother's last surviving sibling just had another heart attack, and at 93 they can't/won't do anything about it, anyway, but he's doing well enough to return to the nursing home to be with his wife. Heart problems run in that side of the family.

Freaked out a bit because I got a call that I would be receiving an "edible bouquet" as a gift. I didn't know who it could be from, as not many people know about the tests. And I don't do gifts well - long history with gifts being hurtful things, but even after so long I still kind of react. My family just doesn't buy me things, even for Mothers Day & birthdays, etc. So I was really on edge. Even though I knew it was a "nice" thing, it just stresses me out. :sigh:

Turned out it was from DH's workplace. I was surprised they'd do that.

Let's see if I can post a pic.... done.jpg

YES! LOL And yes, those are chocolate-covered strawberries in it, too. :)

And it used kale as "green". Anyone have a good way to cook it???? :scratchhead: I've never cooked it.

Grateful for a clean bill of health after a colonoscopy yesterday at the VA hospital. Had a great time talking to the "male" vet patients in my room (curtains separated our beds). All were from Vietnam era. We chatted while the doctor was delayed over 2 hours down in the procedure room. Felt bad that one Marine vet was on 02 and was still smoking. Thankful we all survived and could talk about it 45 years later. God is good. :happy0203:

Gratitude - I have it, too. :wub:

Yes, for each one of you here. 16 years of "you"s, and each one precious in your own ways. I wonder how many are chatting in Heaven with Westbrook, FloridaGal, and others. Far too many have drifted away and we don't know why.

I'm grateful for the clean bill of health. Especially since my mother's last surviving sibling just had another heart attack, and at 93 they can't/won't do anything about it, anyway, but he's doing well enough to return to the nursing home to be with his wife. Heart problems run in that side of the family.

Freaked out a bit because I got a call that I would be receiving an "edible bouquet" as a gift. I didn't know who it could be from, as not many people know about the tests. And I don't do gifts well - long history with gifts being hurtful things, but even after so long I still kind of react. My family just doesn't buy me things, even for Mothers Day & birthdays, etc. So I was really on edge. Even though I knew it was a "nice" thing, it just stresses me out. :sigh:

Turned out it was from DH's workplace. I was surprised they'd do that.

Let's see if I can post a pic.... done.jpg

YES! LOL And yes, those are chocolate-covered strawberries in it, too. :)

And it used kale as "green". Anyone have a good way to cook it???? :scratchhead: I've never cooked it.

Kale...we love it! I splice down each side of the main stem and save them for a later dish. Then roll them up and start chopping into bite sized pieces and put them in a dark colored freezer bag (or a green bag if you have them) for use in our morning egg omelets or as a salad. Remember you always have to use some salt, pepper, onion (or onion powder) and garlic (or garlic powder) to bring out the fresh taste and reduce the "green" taste. For our salads, I use Kale, Lambs Quarter (if I have some), sliced sweet onions, diced tomatoes, sunflower kernels and some Feta cheese (or other cheese?) and top it with our favorite, Ranch dressing. For the stems that you have set back, you can chop them up like green beans and sautee' them and they taste wonderful with some sesame oil drizzed over them with som salt and pepper. I'm sure there's other ways to cook Kale but I haven't tried them. One way I plan to try is wrapping a meatloaf recipe in the whole leaves and baking them. I also plan to make some Kale chips when the weather cools (don't want my dehydrator running in my kitchen in this hot weather). My enclosed porch is "occupied" right now and I don't have my usual space for my dehydrators :-( Can't run them at the Homestead since son is paying all his own water, gas and electric. We'd never hear the end of it if I plugged in my dehydrators (in MY kitchen!) and let them run over night :-( Some day soon...Oh...just had a brain thought! When MrWE2 gets the electricity hooked up to HIS man-cave garage (separate meter!) we can do anything we want over there as far as electricity!

Edited by The WE2's

Really?......grateful that I don't have to go thru the bad days alone. Today is one. ....feel awful for 2nd day, but grateful for an in-house chiro. He adjusted stuff. Hoping it will help. :pray:

Grateful that God Almighty is our answer when others are mean ....having no simple respect. DH had stuff ripped off from back of truck [which doesn't lock] while at work.... <_< VERY grateful it wasn't all of his Emergency supplies.

MtRider ....guess we'll have to install a Red-Neck type lock on the topper....hasp and padlock? Sheesh.

I'm grateful for all of the good health reports I read here today. Hope Mt.Rider feels better real soon!

The bump in my foot is gone. I have no idea where it came from or where it went. Just the 'nature of the beast' I guess.

I misspoke in a post up above. My beagle was a 13 inch not a 17 inch. I don't even think they come in 17 inch. Fifteen and thirteen as far as I know. :misc-smiley-231:

Thanks Annie. Didn't understand a word wiki said but if they work that's all that counts.

I've been hearing a lot about misting fans lately. They are supposed to work really well too. I think only for outside though. I remember my cousin, who lives in Arizona, said they had those misting fans at the ball park he used to go to. It was like a long hose attached to the ceiling and a fine mist of water would be sprayed on the people to keep them cool. Or maybe it was similar to an emergency water sprinkler like in hotels. I can't remember what he said. It might have been at the Diamondback stadium.

Misting fans are nice too. The milk farmers also use the misting fans for their herds. We have a small misting system on our porch swing. It produces mist with the water pressure.

Evaporative cooling is the addition of water vapor into air, which causes a lowering of the temperature of the air.

A swamp cooler/evaporative cooler is basically a fan wrapped with wet pads, the air cools as it goes through the pads. However, when it humid, it makes very little difference and becomes just a fan in the heat.

I'm grateful for all of the good health reports I read here today. Hope Mt.Rider feels better real soon!

The bump in my foot is gone. I have no idea where it came from or where it went. Just the 'nature of the beast' I guess.

I misspoke in a post up above. My beagle was a 13 inch not a 17 inch. I don't even think they come in 17 inch. Fifteen and thirteen as far as I know. :misc-smiley-231:

The bump on your foot...could it have been a gout inflamation? MrWE2 battled a "sore bumg" on the inside of his big right toe for the longest time thinking it was a bunion or ??? Finally went to doc, it was gout :-( It's our understanding that gout is a form of arthritis. I have a small "nodule" on my left middle finger, first joint...looks like it's filled with clear fluid. Doc said it also is a form of arthriis (even though it's not sore).

I am grateful for AC. With the humidity up, swamp coolers are not working well.

Visited several years ago with some people in AZ who had a swamp cooler in their adobe-type home. Only kept it "reasonable" cool when it was hot. When really hot, not much better than a fan.

I Googled gout images. DON'T! Not pretty images.

It wasn't that. The bump wasn't on the "bunion bone". A little higher. I don't think it hurt as bad as I've heard gout hurts either. I have no idea.

MrWE2 said it felt like glass rubbing inside the bump :-( ps...took the baking soda remedy and it works...but it raised his blood pressure sky high so he had to quit and go on a prescription med for gout :-(

Edited by The WE2's