MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ROBIE

Solar panels vs EMP

I've Been doing a lot of reading of survival fiction where we get hit with an EMP, such as "One Second After" and the "Going Home" books.

One thing I've noticed in them is that generators that are hard connected to start running as soon as power goes out such as in a hospital will die as with the rest of the power because of the hard connection.

One other thing is solar panels. Out here in So Cal, new homes are built with solar panels already on. Others are going solar for the rebates and tax breaks and to save from the huge power bills we get.

So, if the generators go out because they are hard connected, wouldn't solar panels do the same?

I'm no expert on solar panels, so I'm going to be doing a lot of reading up on that subject very soon.

Robie

Certainly parts will get fried, any circuitry will get fried. I do not think solar panel power will work after an emp. One would have to have faraday caged parts to put together, maybe including batteries, to produce solar power again. Most appliances will get fried, even lamps in case of an emp I would think. I would not trust solar power as back up if it is already in use and parts are not stored properly in a faraday box, which could be taking up vital space for other preps that would be useful after the fact of an emp.

Thanks Sassenach, that backs up some thoughts I've had already, but more study needs to be done.

Robie

That's a good question. I have no idea. I didn't think solar panels would be effected. Sheesh. :misc-smiley-231:

My cousin had her house hard wired with a generator. She lived in South Carolina and every year they had ice storms and the power would go off. She was on home dialysis so she really did need power for her machine every night. It would come on automatically when the electricity went off. They still had to feed it gasoline and it was VERY noisy.

I have changed my thinking on generators. I always thought sooner or later I'd get one. I was holding out for a smaller quieter one. Now I really don't even want one. First, being senior woman, if it wasn't hard wired, I know I'd never get it started. Also they take a lot of gas and how long can that last if the gas stations don't have power to pump gas or if I couldn't get to the station because of winter weather conditions. A couple of days or a week at the very most. And they are so loud. Everyone in the neighborhood would know you had some sort of power. When my cousin's power would go out in the winter, the neighbors would always come over because they all knew she had heat, lights, fridge and TV. They usually came empty handed and used their kids as an excuse to come in where it was warm. They all had gas fireplaces. It was South Carolina...no one was going to freeze to death. Two or three days later the ice and cold was all gone.

A few years back we went through the same power outage that Canada went through. It was early summer or fall. I can't remember. Anyway, some people had generators running outside. What happened was, during the night thieves would bring a gas lawn mower over to the peoples house who had a generator and start up the mower. Then while the mower was running they would take the generator and the people wouldn't even notice because of the same sounding loud noise.

So...now I'm more interested in solar.

It's truly hard to get good data on EMP effects. The data is all scrambled! Part of the problem is that the amount of "pulse" you get will vary the effects. Like a pulse on the East coast might not knock out as much in the midWest. And if there is some problem from the sun....those effects vary a lot.

At least that's been my [inadequate] understanding.

I've been watching the "connected vs not connected (but not in Faraday protection)" debate for years now. :shrug: Will it fry stuff just out of no where....without long wires to ramp it up? One thing tho.....not sure what would fry on an unconnected battery. Seems like that would be ok. But....I reallllly do not know.

Connected batteries......would that cause an explosion from an overload. :behindsofa: They talk about that with the transformers [grey 'bucket' things up on the electric poles]. Exploding transformers is something that I am actually familiar with. We had a lightning strike on the farm when I was a teen. The voltage traveled thru the regular wire and exploded the first transformer it ran into. That electric line ended several hundred feet away at the massive corn dryer. Those 2-story dryers are wired for LOTS of voltage and it blew the electric connection box to smitherines and a huge gout of fire erupted from there. Fire died only when the electricity must have been cut. [it's also possible that the lightning struck there first and traveled the other way to the transformer. ] The transformer blew the lid off the 'bucket'and sprayed that toxic oil in a very wide area. [which I slipped on and slid on my back thru that toxic stuff all the way to the bottom of the hill....we didn't know it was toxic...didn't do a detox wash at all. ]

Let us know if you find some verifiable expert.....I'd love to know lots more than I do.

MtRider ....hey, you know there are solar generators too. Nice and quiet...but I don't know about capacity or anything. Prolly EX-PEN-SIVE.

Edited by Mt_Rider

well... I've been trying to post a reply with a link in it and this thing wont let me.

National Geographic did a show about EMP's and they ask you, putting you as the president what would you do? (This show had some Hillary looking woman as the press.)

Since it wont let me post the link or the video, you need to go to youtube and look for "Electronic Armageddon" . Its about an hour long, and lots of good information in it.

Robie

Shoot...our bandwidth usage is up way too high to afford an hour on YouTube. :yar:

MtRider ...don't suppose anyone makes PRINT editions of YouTube data? :rolleyes:

Also the mountains may shield somewhat, small low pockets , but on flat land, it carries further.

Mt Rider from data I have seen via the old military write ups ( pdf forms of old studies) , it would take 3 high altitude emp's to wipe out US and parts of Canada like its major cities because they are all in the lower latitudes of Canada for the most part.

It really doesn't do us any good if we are in a pocket except for local repair and set up to communicate in some way if some don't get fried, else where it is FRIED and that shuts down everything.

But EMP's would only be the first wave of action against our nation, is what I believe. Chaos would erupt fast, look at how hotheaded folks are right now. Everyday we have something new and divisive.

But there would be other dangers soon after. There are people that want our land and resources and they will come and take them and whatever is left. They think they will enslave us and control us as well. If they don't just slaughter us.

So it would be at least a triple whammy.

I do think EMP's are a serious threat and that has increase in level the longer we go as we are in this nation, considering current events politically and no shoring up of the things we really need to work on . It is the easiest thing to do as well for others who desire to create massive harm. They all have access to the stuff to do it with as well, now. The ones who do it are just a front for worse things and actions against our country, as well. If this were to happen, from all the intel out there now.

Other western like countries are also at risk, it would be a global affair I believe to take them all down.

If someone had a bank of batteries and only a couple were hooked up, and the others weren't... I really have no idea. I have heard of the solar generators. I've seen them in a couple of small sale catalogs I get. I really wish I could remember which catalogs I saw them in. Might have been Schlemmer Hammacher. Or Sporty's. If I see it again I'll post it.

Robie, did you click on that little 'light switch' picture (the first one) in the little tool bar to post a link? It changes the way your post looks but that's the only way to post a link. I couldn't post a picture last night. Don't know why. Crazy Internet.

That would be very good to have!

But you'd still have to keep the components shielded if we did have an EMP situation.

MtRider ....worst thing about disasters....they never give proper notice beforehand.... ;)

Solar panels are very likely to get zapped by EMP and can be shielded. I have a book at home and I'm at the library. I'll try to remember to write the name down and give it to you next week. It gives detailed info on shielding.

My thoughts are, why bother? I will use the panels until the hooey hits. No matter what the flavor of hooey we get, someone will decide they need my panels more than I do and will relieve me of them. They can't be hidden from everybody. So I don't expect to have them once the grid goes down anyhow. It isn't worth defended them to the death. I am trying to get my home set up so I can survive ok with no electricity. I have a wood stove for heat, very large, screened windows and a screened porch for ventilation, getting awnings made to shade the windows, water is rain catch cistern and I am putting a hand pump in. I have plenty of oil lamps and candle wax for lights. If I can get a garden going and have the orchard producing and the goats for milk we can manage without the stores. I do, however require hay delivery in winter for the goats and don't have the capacity to produce feed for the poultry at this point. Still working on it.

Most people including those that made that documentary or movie do not have any idea of what it means to be without electricity. Totally without electricity today... the smell of rotting food,the stench of human feces with no place for them to go in the city,the rebellion,rage of people that have darkness, no power, and unexercised muscles that face hundreds of stairs, to name just a few..If transportation is nil,. the big city populations will probably kill each other out of sheer frustration.

When and if this happens,solar may not be of use either if the sun does not shine.

Twilight you're so right! We just watched a youtube vid this morning called "Made In China" and it was a truly sobering documentary! I told MrWE2 "can you imagine what it will be like when those thousands of workers who work in that humongus plant and live in those tiny community apartments, suddenly find themselves with no power, no work and no food?" We may see lots of cannibalism in some of these countries. What an aweful thought!

Just as we were talking about electricity and generators etc. the power goes off in Long Beach CA. for 3 days and counting. I just read where some of the power has been restored to parts of downtown L.B. No one seemed to be prepared at all. Some of them said they are running out of medicine and money. Manhole covers exploding! Honestly, I'm not making light (no pun intended) of the situation but some people are really falling apart after 3 days. Heaven help us all.

I don't know how some of us would handle having no electricity in the summer heat, including myself. I looked at their weather and temps are going to be in the high 80's for the next 2 days. Add in humidity...

Tis why I live in this inhospitable place.... Even without electricity, our garage/basement is cool enough to save my life. And I've had to use it a few times.

MtRider ...freeze to death in winter without elect. tho.... :frozen:

My understanding is that there's a good chance that the solar panels themselves will optimistically make it through an EMP. It's the wiring and solar charge controller that is at the most risk. http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/will-solar-panels-survive-emp/

I know that nothing is 100% sure but I'm not as worried about the panels as I am the other components.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.