MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Begin at the beginning

So I've been pondering this for a while. Many times over the years I've had the urge to just pick up and start over anew somewhere. (Probably comes from my dad being in the military) There is this part of me that loves the excitement of going to a new place but the other side is one that needed to put down long term roots from having moved 6 times in 12 years. We've lived in the same city since 1978...although not in the same house. At my age I've come to realize I'm going to have to be ok with where I am and make the best of it.

When I first joined Mrs. S I was all about the stuff we needed and how we needed to get out of where we live into the "way back" of somewhere else where no one else could get to us.

Now...I like seeing all the fancy prepper stuff....but I don't want it so much anymore...mostly because I don't want to be surrounded by so much stuff anymore. Especially stuff I'm not really likely to use. And, while I still think I might like and acre or so, due to hubby's big health issues and my smaller ones and just getting older I don't want to be so far away from hospitals, etc. I've come to realize that there's only so much I personally can do...and I need to take a new look at how I prepare. The age groups in my family have changed....there are different dietary needs...things like that.

The plan is to start at the beginning...go back to the basics...and start cleaning out my house so I can breathe again!

I'm posting this in Urban Homesteading because that's where I am and the way I prepare will look different from someone who lives way out in the country or even from someone who lives in an apartment in a very big city.

This is exactly where I've been for the past several months. My boys aren't children any more, I don't have DH any more, several allies have died or moved out of reach, and my own framework isn't solid any more. All my assumptions are, pretty well, shot.

I'm there too Ambergris. Flying solo and my son just moved back to Indiana. I'm getting older and my goals have changed. I want to have access to police, fire, ambulance, hospital and doctor within a few minutes. I used to want a little place in the boonies but now I know if something went wrong, I probably wouldn't make all alone. I'm 63 and while that isn't ancient and I'm still fairly healthy but my strength has really diminished. Balance isn't what it used to be either. I'd like to be in a subdivision setting with about 1-2 acres for a little garden and some fruit trees/bushes/canes and a strawberry patch. What I want, I could never afford. Not around here anyway. I've also noticed that a lot of people who live out like that can be pretty rowdy. That's why some of them move out there. I know bad neighbors and it isn't pleasant. My goals have changed too. I just don't have a plan how to get from here to there...wherever there is. Kind of unsettling. I want to be prepared but not overwhelmed with stuff. Don't know if that's possible.

Single... makes all the difference........older makes it more difference.

Health problems...... I still have not gotten the lawn mowed! I used to

could mow it in 3-4 hours

I have mowed on it three days this time..I still have the worse to do

and the rate it is growing it all needs to be mowed again.

So here are the areas I'm going to look at:

1. Water

2. Food

3. Heating/Cooling

4. Lighting

5. Sanitation

6. Medical

7. Security

Anything I might have missed?

8. Entertainment.

Books, puzzles, games, music or what ever crafts/hobbies you like to do. After awhile boredom could take over and something you enjoy can be a temporary escape to help recharge your mind, plus it adds in some fun.

I'll buy that old peoples book! Kindle addition please.

1. Water

2. Food

3. Heating/Cooling

4. Lighting

5. Sanitation

6. Medical/Physical Preparedness

7. Security

8. Entertainment

9. Important Documents

The list I've always used to keep me sane and on track with basics is very similar:

1...WATER

2...SHELTER [includes anything to keep you cool enough, warm enough, dry enough, secure enough..like from storms, etc] [ADDED: I include clothes in this category]

3...TOOLS ...anything that doesn't fall into another category [communication, weather forecasting, binoculars, etc]

4...HEALTH, SANITATION, MEDICATIONS, FIRST AID ....it's all related

5...LIGHTING

6...FOOD ....food, cooking, storing, getting food, post-hooey recipes, gardening seeds/tools,

7...BUSINESS....important papers/certifications/I.D. PLUS books, paper, pen/pencils, notebooks, envelopes, Forever postal stamps, etc.]

8...SANITY ....pleasure books, cards, games, hobbies, etc

9...TOOLS OF THE TRADE ...anything from your profession or other training that would be NEEDED post-hooey

10...ANIMALS ....pets, livestock .....and everything for them: food, water, dishes, crates, fencing, housing, birthing, milking, proof-of-ownership, pedigree, health/vaccination records, medications, .....

11...Defense ....anything ... perimeter alarms/cameras, other ....stuff...

...yep, you 'bout got them all! :thumbs:

MtRider ....book on Prepping when older. :0327: Yeah, big topic. Tip #1 Write everything down.... :scratchhead: Tip #2 Don't forget where you wrote it down!

Edited by Mt_Rider

So I've been pondering this for a while. Many times over the years I've had the urge to just pick up and start over anew somewhere. (Probably comes from my dad being in the military) There is this part of me that loves the excitement of going to a new place but the other side is one that needed to put down long term roots from having moved 6 times in 12 years. We've lived in the same city since 1978...although not in the same house. At my age I've come to realize I'm going to have to be ok with where I am and make the best of it.

When I first joined Mrs. S I was all about the stuff we needed and how we needed to get out of where we live into the "way back" of somewhere else where no one else could get to us.

Now...I like seeing all the fancy prepper stuff....but I don't want it so much anymore...mostly because I don't want to be surrounded by so much stuff anymore. Especially stuff I'm not really likely to use. And, while I still think I might like and acre or so, due to hubby's big health issues and my smaller ones and just getting older I don't want to be so far away from hospitals, etc. I've come to realize that there's only so much I personally can do...and I need to take a new look at how I prepare. The age groups in my family have changed....there are different dietary needs...things like that.

The plan is to start at the beginning...go back to the basics...and start cleaning out my house so I can breathe again!

I'm posting this in Urban Homesteading because that's where I am and the way I prepare will look different from someone who lives way out in the country or even from someone who lives in an apartment in a very big city.

Ditto...we had a wakeup call ourselves, just a month or so ago :-) That's why we'll be keeping the Homestead (it's on 3/4 acre or so) and selling off this place and the Roost.

8. Entertainment.

Books, puzzles, games, music or what ever crafts/hobbies you like to do. After awhile boredom could take over and something you enjoy can be a temporary escape to help recharge your mind, plus it adds in some fun.

I'll buy that old peoples book! Kindle addition please.

Lots and lots of books...the kind you can hold if there's no power. MrWE2 really raised his eyebrows several years ago when I bought crayons and coloring books as well as Word Search books :-)

Shelter, water, food and precious metals. Right now we're concentrating on the precious metals and water. We're staying in the city we're at, but will be selling this place and moving to the Homestead. It's on 3/4 of acre or so, has all the outbuildings we'd ever need and enough space to garden without breaking one's back. We'll be doing the "living landscape" (my term?) because I want to "grow it not mow it". We have a place where we can get sawdust free so we'll hauling it about as fast as we can to make walkways between our growing beds etc. Want to get some apple trees (maybe some plums) planted this fall. When you're nearing 70 you don't want to have to "start over" in areas where it will work you to the bone. If you're out in the boonies, and slip on a ladder or lift something too heavy...your decision to "rough it" may cost you your life :-(

MtRider ....book on Prepping when older. :0327: Yeah, big topic. Tip #1 Write everything down.... :scratchhead: Tip #2 Don't forget where you wrote it down!

Oh how true!!

I keep thinking I would like to be further away from the city than I am, but y'all have made some good points. DH and I are not getting any younger and the up keep on the property gets harder and harder.

I have some word search and easy crossword puzzle books stored away too. Don't forget pencils and a sharpener too. I even put some in my 'hospital go bag'. I put one of those wind up pencils in it though.

• 5 years later...

Some really good lists and suggestions here. As I read posts from the time I was AWOL from Mrs. S I am finding I missed a LOT of what I need now.  Thanks all for continuing to keep the light on for me.   :grouphug: