MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Water

Number 1 on my back to basics list is of course water. Why? Here's a good list of why you need it. http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/12-reasons-youll-need-water-in-an-emergency/

Where I live we depend on city water....no sources of water are within walking distance. And....we are in a major drought in my area...so regular rain has become sketchy. Why do we live here again? :scratchhead:

I have a number of 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon water containers with newly refreshed water in them. And a reminder on my calendar to change it out in 6 months (cuz this water I changed was probably a couple of years old...yuck.) It is tap water only because our water is already chlorinated.

I also have a couple of gallons in my chest freezer (in case of a power outage) that could be used. As well as some purchased gallons for storage and individual bottles that can thrown in a BOB.

I'm working on getting a rain barrel for water storage. I found this as an interesting resource. If you submit your address they will tell you suppliers where you can get used barrels for cheap. My problem is just getting it to my house.

https://www.bluebarrelsystems.com/order-barrels/

I also plan to can a dozen jars of water for a sterile resource.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/74520568811283852/

http://thenerdyfarmwife.com/canning-water-for-emergency-preparedness/

I have ways to filter water...Berkeys (with backup filters) and a couple of Lifestraws. http://momwithaprep.com/lifestraw-personal-water-filter-review/ Plus lots of coffee filters/cheesecloth...

Now if only El Nino will bring us more rain.....

Edited by dogmom4

Number 1 on my back to basics list is of course water. Why? Here's a good list of why you need it. http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/12-reasons-youll-need-water-in-an-emergency/

Where I live we depend on city water....no sources of water are within walking distance. And....we are in a major drought in my area...so regular rain has become sketchy. Why do we live here again? :scratchhead:

I have a number of 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon water containers with newly refreshed water in them. And a reminder on my calendar to change it out in 6 months (cuz this water I changed was probably a couple of years old...yuck.) It is tap water only because our water is already chlorinated.

I also have a couple of gallons in my chest freezer (in case of a power outage) that could be used. As well as some purchased gallons for storage and individual bottles that can thrown in a BOB.

I'm working on getting a rain barrel for water storage. I found this as an interesting resource. If you submit your address they will tell you suppliers where you can get used barrels for cheap. My problem is just getting it to my house.

https://www.bluebarrelsystems.com/order-barrels/

I also plan to can a dozen jars of water for a sterile resource.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/74520568811283852/

http://thenerdyfarmwife.com/canning-water-for-emergency-preparedness/

I have ways to filter water...Berkeys (with backup filters) and a couple of Lifestraws. http://momwithaprep.com/lifestraw-personal-water-filter-review/ Plus lots of coffee filters/cheesecloth...

Now if only El Nino will bring us more rain.....

Water is absolutely "essential"! Without water you'll be so weak in a matter of hours that you wouldn't be able to do anything you needed to do to survive. Without water and food, you can't even put together a reasonable shelter (if you needed to). Even putting up a tent might be something you couldn't do without water.

I use the link to find 2 barrels in my area. None within 200 miles of me. :sigh:

I'm going to can some water too but I'm going to do them as a separate load. I'm concerned that some of the liquid from other food would seep into the water jars. I don't know if that can happen or not but I do see some liquid from canning food in the canner water after they are finished. Can the liquid go back and forth among the jars. I don't know but I do want to make sure it's sterile water for medical reasons. I won't be adding vinegar to the canner either. That's just me thinking out loud because I don't know the answer.

I'm going to can some water too but I'm going to do them as a separate load. I'm concerned that some of the liquid from other food would seep into the water jars. I don't know if that can happen or not but I do see some liquid from canning food in the canner water after they are finished. Can the liquid go back and forth among the jars.

I've wondered about that too, Jeepers.

Those of us in the arid West need to be utterly FIXATED with the topic of water. Being in an all-time record-breaking year for rainfall hasn't diminished this in me at all. :grinning-smiley-044:

WATER...to be more specific, we have to break it down into THREE categories:

1 ) WAYS TO STORE WATER ...purchased water in containers, in big barrels, in recycled containers filled at home, ....

2 ) WAYS TO MAKE WATER SAFE TO DRINK ...filters, purifying methods, pasteurizing methods, STERILIZATION methods ...

3 ) WAYS OF FINDING/COLLECTING/HAULING WATER - Post-Hooey .....rain collection, streams&lakes, friends with a pool, ..

If we play with the "two is one and one is none" thing again.....we need several means in EACH category.

And yes, sterile water is easy now and SO necessary for cleaning wounds. Not necessary for drinking. Pasteurization is necessary for drinking....and it's quite different.

MtRider ....yeah, I'm fixated with the topic of WATER :bev:

I use the link to find 2 barrels in my area. None within 200 miles of me. :sigh:

I'm going to can some water too but I'm going to do them as a separate load. I'm concerned that some of the liquid from other food would seep into the water jars. I don't know if that can happen or not but I do see some liquid from canning food in the canner water after they are finished. Can the liquid go back and forth among the jars. I don't know but I do want to make sure it's sterile water for medical reasons. I won't be adding vinegar to the canner either. That's just me thinking out loud because I don't know the answer.

Good thinking Jeeps...I'd want to do them in their own load. What I'm wondering is "can you just water bath" or do you actually have to use the pressure canner? Just thinking out loud.

I pressure canned mine...cuz I had spaces left over. Might have been Westie who suggested not wasting space in a partially-filled canner.

But I don't know if pressure canning is necessary. I doubt it. I'll try to find a reliable answer....

MtRider :canning:

Well....I'm not sure any of these are reliable....or clear in the instructions.

http://www.ask.com/food/make-sterile-water-f6f4c6213560b204

http://www.cascadehealthcaresolutions.com/How_to_make_sterile_water_a/347.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2050318_sterilize-water.html

Blue Ball book does not list "water"

MtRider ....anyone know where to find data? :canning:

According to Mt. Riders links, boiling does not destroy all of the pathogens. For medical usage such as flushing a wound etc. I want it as clean as possible. I have the equipment (pressure canner) and the time and the water. Why not do it right and the safest way (that we know of) now before we need it and maybe can't get it. I think I'll do 2 cases of pints (or how ever many will fit in the pressure canner) without any added food or vinegar and call it done. Might even be a good barter item?

According to Mt. Riders links, boiling does not destroy all of the pathogens. For medical usage such as flushing a wound etc. I want it as clean as possible. I have the equipment (pressure canner) and the time and the water. Why not do it right and the safest way (that we know of) now before we need it and maybe can't get it. I think I'll do 2 cases of pints (or how ever many will fit in the pressure canner) without any added food or vinegar and call it done. Might even be a good barter item?

Hmmm...you'd think if one put your jars of water into a water bath canner, it would distill it by the high temps? It's hot enough for some foods, jellies and jams? Again...just thinking out loud. But yes...if you've got the time & equipment GO FOR IT GIRL! LOL For us, I think perhaps I'd use my quarts since I bought so many of them several years ago and only use them for the soups I pressure can.

"Will boiling water kill all the harmful pathogens? Well, boiling the water in a pot for 20 minutes or so will kill most infection causing bacteria and may be perfectly useful for drinking purposes; it would however not be classified as sterile water for medical purposes."

And...

"To make sterile water, you have to maintain a temperature of 250 degrees Fahrenheit for a minimum of 20 minutes. This is achieved by the use of a pressure cooker. Follow the directions for removing the lid from the pressure cooker. You need a pressure cooker with a temperature gauge, clean water and a stove or a heat source."

Water only boils at 212 degrees. Most water bath foods are safe because of the high acid or sugar content in the food being processed. At least that's my understanding. I could be wrong. Figure the odds! I think I'll do pints because that's what I have the most of. Any size would work though.

???

I think some folks here are overlooking a mennonite tradition. If you have a standard cased well, then have a 'rope bucket'. Even if you do not have electricity, or it is a SHTF, your water is still available. I am not talking 'pitcher pump', but that is an option if your well is not too deep.

This is water you know, and have trusted. No 'storage' needed.

Now, if you have to use electricity to 'r-o' filter or 'i-r' your water from your well, well... You should have better water.

You can find such buckets near any mennonite or amish community. If you have none such, then grab a Lehmans catalog. Here, let me look it up for you... "Lehman's Own Galvanized Well Bucket", page 126, Summer 2015, cataloge #1408e. $69.95.

Ours are brass, not galvanized. Heavy minerals.

Sarah

Being in an area where wells are well over 1,000's of feet deep, storing water is a important strategic move. Any time it rains, we set out anything that catches water. Unfortunately, we hardly ever get more than an inch, then, it will not rain again for a long time. :sigh:

Interesting topic......

...... I'm concerned that some of the liquid from other food would seep into the water jars. I don't know if that can happen or not but I do see some liquid from canning food in the canner water after they are finished. Can the liquid go back and forth among the jars. ...........

:scratchhead:

LOL Armyo5.

I have seen the well bucket that Sarah is talking about. A friend has one. Understand that these will not work until you have removed the well pump from inside the casing. And do be sure NOT to drop any of the sections down into the well.

They are about ...what? Four feet long, mebbe. A tube. Just big enough diameter to fit inside the well casing. The downward end has a valve that opens when it's dropped into the water and closes when the water now inside the tube presses against it. One way valve. You attach an appropriate length of rope and let it down til it fills ...then pull it up.

Ok...one of the questions I've always had about using the well bucket is sanitation. The inside of the well casing is not 'clean'....wet, dark, cylinder. The well bucket will be bumping the edges of this on the way up and down. Then the well bucket is being submerged into your nice clean water. [the well pump goes down once and stays there to bring the water up thru an enclosed pipe....not the same]

This is more like the open wishing wells...as far as bacteria being able to get down into the water. Also, you must handle this long tube to empty it once you've got it up to ground level again. :scratchhead: It would still be a source of water....but I'd be wary of thinking it was still a completely sanitary source of water. I would definitely put this drawn-up water thru a filter/purifier.

I would also rig up a pulley system if the Hooey has hit enough to set up this method. It would not be something to do for a short-term crisis. But for long term if you don't have any other feasible source of water, this would be great for all but the realllllly deep wells. Ours run a couple hundred feet down...I think.

MtRider :bev:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Do you mean the "wishing well" type, Jeepers? The open wells are quite susceptible to contamination. Just putting the old wooden bucket up and down contaminates. BUT....if the well was the only way to get water, then just purify/filter before use. At least you'd have access.

The only thing that we'd have trouble with is a few micro organisms that aren't killed by boiling. [one of the Great Lakes had this problem with an algae...maybe??? The other thing not affected by boiling is certain chemical toxins. Berkey special filters claim to work on chemicals too.

Here's a couple interesting sites about private wells. The second one has data on ways a private well can become contaminated.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/dwgb/documents/dwgb-4-11.pdf

www.professionalhome.com/welltest.html

Edited by Mt_Rider
add links

Yes Mt. Rider, that's the kind I meant. We lived in a country type subdivision in IN. and had our own well but all you could see was a short capped pipe in the yard. The realtor (when we were buying) told us that sometimes people would pour bleach down there...especially when they were trying to sell their house, to make sure the water tested out as being good. :unsure: We had to have a radon guy come in and set up a test before we could sell too.

I bought the Berkey Light because it took one more 'thing' out of the water than the regular Big Berkey. I can't remember what it was now. Lehman's had it all listed in one of their catalogs to compare all of the water purifiers they sell. I assumed that it would be that way in all of their catalogs so I didn't save it. Wrong again. I haven't seen it in any of their catalogs since then.

Frankly I have never seen growth or whatever on the sides of the well. That is the purpose of the sanitation caps required in this area to be put on all wells. I would not want to drink from such a well! If'crud' of any kind grows then the well should be cleaned and sanitized.

Which kind of well are you referring to, Twilight?

I've twice been present when new well pump was installed. The insides of the metal casing is what I was referring to. You only get to see those when to well guys come out.

Naturally the pipe the comes from the submerged water pump is not even exposed to air. Goes directly to the house. That pipe is inside the casing ...which just holds he cylinder open thru all those feet of dirt down to water level.

Seems to me everyone but MtR was talking about open topped type wells, not buried casing wells. And yes, Jeeps...being in real estate "for a few years" it was common practice to "shock" a well before testing, to see if it was potable.

We have the Big Berkey (stainless steel) and yes, we have two of the sport bottles. We also have an extra set of Berkey filters for the big one. it sits on our rolling kitchen island, and that's the only water we drink, except the ice cubes from our frig (that the water runs through a filter) that we use.