MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Water

Seems to me everyone but MtR was talking about open topped type wells, not buried casing wells. And yes, Jeeps...being in real estate "for a few years" it was common practice to "shock" a well before testing, to see if it was potable.

Um..... :scratchhead: ....it was my understanding that the "wishing well" type went out with the covered wagons. People don't really have open wells in the 21st Century....do we?

Or are you talking of some other type in between the encased well pipe/pump and the completely open "wishing" wells?

MtRider :bev:

I don' think we have any more open wells in this country but who knows what are back in some of those "lower forty acres"

I just did a quick Google drive through Romania. I knew I had seen some open public wells in other countries. These are community wells and I've seen them in lots of other countries too. Most of them just set by the road side every 3-4 blocks.

Mods please remove these picture hogs soon. I was just showing different types of wells in other parts of the world.

post-2492-0-76240200-1437973164_thumb.png

post-2492-0-42015100-1437973185_thumb.png

post-2492-0-60098700-1437973204_thumb.png

post-2492-0-88218300-1437973222_thumb.png

post-2492-0-07498000-1437973241_thumb.png

post-2492-0-02173700-1437973262_thumb.png

post-2492-0-80929900-1437973279_thumb.png

post-2492-0-30950800-1437973302_thumb.png

post-2492-0-54180700-1437973321_thumb.png

post-2492-0-63155500-1437973870_thumb.png

post-2492-0-56808900-1437973942_thumb.png

Lots of people who first set up their "bug out locations" tap into wells & springs etc., and just cover them with a wood box and then dip the water out with a bucket. Also lots of people using cisterns, and above ground water tanks etc.

Cool pics. :) The wishing well type are not, of course, contamination-proof. The bucket is handled [dirty hands?] and set down on the unsanitary edge. then dipped again. Any lid is not sufficient to keep out microbes that can kill. Further purification would be needed. [altho...folks can build up immunity to many things....but as a 'modern person' used to pure water, I wouldn't want to risk it.]

BUT.....these would be loads better than dipping out of a lake or other ground water. :thumbs::thumbs: Also ok for animal use...as they have less chance of getting ill. God made them different. ;)

Cisterns are a closed system with a pump of some sort and are safe. Above ground tanks as well if it's a closed system. What I mean by closed system is that the water goes from deep in the ground to the faucet without any air exposure or container used in between.

Basically...if you use 'dipping', it's not sanitary. If you use pumping [manual or windmill or electric] it can be safe.

MtRider loved the pics! Those folks will have water post-EMP and we'll be the 3rd world country..... :blink:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Um..... :scratchhead: ....it was my understanding that the "wishing well" type went out with the covered wagons. People don't really have open wells in the 21st Century....do we?

Grandfathered. I pass one on my way to work.

Same with 'spring boxes' and 'spring houses' and dug ins... I know that one because a certain mennonite dairy I know wanted to build a new 'horseshoe' house (where the spring runs around three sides of the room)(The cheeses float in the cool water.). They were 'coded', and construction permits refused. So they roman cemented in a spigot. Pass.

Sarah

Yes I'm aware of spring houses. They are great. But I wouldn't use one for drinking water without some form of purifying first.

I guess I was thinking we'd graduated from the 'wishing well' [open to insects, dirt, air-borne, etc] to a manual pump.......and then mostly on to the electric pump. Not including those places that don't have electric for whatever reason [choice or distance from a power line], of course. Lot of folks, when we moved up here, didn't have electric cuz of cost to hook up in remote area. But..... :sigh: .....it's more "densely" populated now. The manual pumps are sealed and should be safe from airborne and other contaminates. They have some of these in the parks here.

mO2HUtu7qdGvjDKdfCYw_Qg.jpg

http://www.preparewise.com/hand-water-well-pump

The link above is for a simple hand pump for up to 100' depth to water level. [around here, we're TWICE that deep!] If you were VERY careful not to knock stuff into the well casing while it was open, this could be a great, subtle pump. ***I have no idea of the quality of this actual mechanism tho...but the idea looks good. Would not have to remove the existing electric well pump to operate this! NOTE: THIS IS NOT A FILTER....it's merely a pump.

Edited by Mt_Rider
link didn't stick

Many many Amish still use those hand pumps as their only water supply!

Edited to add that most of their schoolhouses still use a pump like that too. And outhouses. One for the girls and one for the boys.

Edited by Jeepers

Yes I'm aware of spring houses. They are great. But I wouldn't use one for drinking water without some form of purifying first.

up to 100' depth to water level. [around here, we're TWICE that deep!]

The cheeses and other dairy float in that 'unpurified' water.

And 'pitcher' pumps go up to 150 foot, and can be staged, at 125 foot. Staging is where one pumps up to the next stage. You can go three stages. Be advised though, such are avoided, due the 'leathers' (the pump seals) tendency to grow microoranisms on them, leather (original) or black rubber/synthetic.

But I think the folks here are right, from an 'English' viewpoint. Many of the practices of my mother and relations would seem dangerous to the folks here. By all means, filter, if you do not trust/test your water. I certainly would filter a staged pitcher pump. Still, the bail bucket is an option, in a loss of electricity or SHTF, not to be discounted. If overly concerned, grab a bottle of 'old settler' (brandname) and use that.

A point of curiosity. Local 'code' requires all private wells to be tested every six months. Is this the same everywhere else? 'Shared' are also six months, but also require a full chemical analysis. Shocking then testing is verboten. Nice fine if any chlorine detected.

I did get another giggle. Back in the seventies there was a large 'drill your own well' using the hydro drillers movement, as advertised in Countryside magazine and the like. Did you know those are illegal in these parts? A neighor had to pull his pipe. Justice/.carma.

Sarah

of the Librum

Many many Amish still use those hand pumps as their only water supply!

Edited to add that most of their schoolhouses still use a pump like that too. And outhouses. One for the girls and one for the boys.

Maybe for Amish, but not mennonite. Shared. But with coppered 'tin' cup. It is believed that the copper plating fights germs. And with a charcoal filter. I wish I had a camera, I would take a picture of a couple around here.

I grew up a long time ago in rural Iowa. We had an outhouse for a long time. My mom had to haul water....tho the electric pump was in as far back as I remember. I remember the electric wringer washer. Such a marvel when the "automatic" washer was installed. Didn't have to pour water into the thing! And it came with the option of HOT water...automatically. Whew! :blink: We stared at that thing while it ran through it's cycles. I STILL so appreciate my automatic washer!!!!

I went to school in the one-room versions....although [by one year] I missed all grades together. We'd just be our class of 4th graders or 5th graders and one, lone teacher. Those still had standing outhouses but also indoor facilities.

Often lived for a week or more without electric after Midwest storms took it out. Ya always hoped the cornfields were grown high enough... :blush: ...in the years after the outhouses had been torn down.

DH and I "lived rough" for a year.....no electric....water brought from town. Built the outhouse. I worked at at camp with outhouse and a hand pump well. It did have electric lights/fridge. Little girl got her finger nail pulled out at the root in the well pump. Sides of her fingernail still intact. Aiieee.... Washing hair under that same pump was ......cold enough to give a headache! [later got married outside at that same camp property.]

My grandparents got a 'modern' house when I was grown and gone to college. Previously, they'd always had an outhouse. 'Modern' outhouse was a white/green trim metal shed purchased from Sears. No moon-shaped ventilation in that door. They had a well house to keep things cool; windmill filled it by pumping up from [probably] a hand-dug well. The wooden tank inside well house was elevated [...15' ?] and provided pressure to push water thru a copper pipe to the kitchen faucet. No sink.....only a white [red rim] enamel basins on the table. Large for dish washing/veggie scrubbing and, right inside the door, a shallow one for hand washing. Remembering now, I can almost hear Grma saying: "Wash your patties now!" :lol: See why I'm so up on sanitation! I inherited both the large and small basins. Enamel from that era lasted longer without chipping! There was, of course, a 'slop bucket' to empty those basins..... since there was no exit drains or septic system dug.

It's pretty obvious that ...on one hand, children exposed to germs usually develop a robust immune system. Usually...if they don't sicken and die. It's been obvious that those kids raised in SUPER-germ free zones do not have a robust immune system. :shrug:

The question becomes:

If we, who are mostly living in 'modern' type homes are suddenly thrust back into pre-electric/pre-modern sanitation.....what will be the result? One thing is for sure: Wash your 'patties' often and scrub well!

:shrug: We now have the knowledge to recognize the role microbes play in many diseases. We can trace the sources of contamination. We can prevent a lot of horrific diseases with this knowledge. And yes, there is something to the 'copper' theory. [don't use lead pewter tho...]

Edited by Mt_Rider

The question becomes:

If we, who are mostly living in 'modern' type homes are suddenly thrust back into pre-electric/pre-modern sanitation.....what will be the result? One thing is for sure: Wash your 'patties' often and scrub well!

:shrug: We now have the knowledge to recognize the role microbes play in many diseases. We can trace the sources of contamination. We can prevent a lot of horrific diseases with this knowledge. And yes, there is something to the 'copper' theory. [don't use lead pewter tho...]

My post (earlier in this thread) about water-born disease and hand washing seems to have been ignored, so I will take this opportunity to bring it to your attention again. Two videos from Patriot Nurse:

Why Water Kills People

https://youtu.be/iqwYoV8um_I

How (and WHY) to Wash Your Hands

https://youtu.be/wq7rGdt64ts

Edited by Midnightmom

I have often thought about the children these days being so protected from germs that their immune seem to be weaker than ours used to be.

Wish I could get my #$%& printer/scanner working. I have lots of Amish pictures I've taken showing their way of life.

Sarah, there are several different sects of Amish. Some a lot more 'conservative' than others. One group doesn't even allow window screens much less indoor plumbing.

Sarah, there are several different sects of Amish. Some a lot more 'conservative' than others. One group doesn't even allow window screens much less indoor plumbing.

Ummm... Jeepers, reintroduction.

I am OOM. Old Order Mennonite. Knostic sept (Knosis means 'knowledge', one who, in order to perform ones function, requires education beyond the 8th grade level). I was a simple 'home mother' until I lost my husband. Having to support, I switched to Gnostic, My much loved and dearly missed Patriarch (think Bishop in Amish speech, but much more senior) helped me and found me honest honorable work.

Then #2 asked me, remarriage is rare for us, and does not mind me 'working out'. I deal with the different types of OOA (Old Order Amish), OOM, NOA (New Order), NOM (New Order), and other 'brethren' every day. I access via the Librum, which is a OOM community center, (translation: place where the scales are kept), where I work as librarian, researcher, liason, 'gal friday', and the 'vot' ('Information') desk.

...now where is that icon for friendly wave... (drats!)

Sarah

...got it... :wave:

• 5 years later...

:bump1:   I have had time to only skim this to see if it is any help to our Apartment Homesteading thread but it sure looks like some good info in here.  Especially the first few posts which is what I checked.  

Edited by Mother
  • Like 1