MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Preparedness hits mainstream news more and more....

Preparedness....not just for Boy Scouts and MrsS any more. It's making the top headlines on Fox today.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/07/29/uk-govt-earth-will-only-have-12-hour-warning-to-deal-with-next-massive-sun/

It sounds like a scene from a disaster movie – mass power failures, plane crashes, satellite disruptions, and train derailments. These are some of the threats modern society would face in the case of a massive solar storm, according to a new document released by the U.K. Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.

The “Space Weather Preparedness Strategy” outlines the disturbances that could be caused by unpredictable solar weather. The most striking find from the report is the fact that a country would have only a 12-hour warning period before the storm would hit the planet.

The worst possible scenario would be a coronal mass ejection of plasma from the sun, during which the corona – that bright glow seen encircling the sun during a total solar eclipse – detaches, shooting off X-rays and high-energy particles directly to the Earth.

The report cites the “1859 Carrington Event,” which was a powerful coronal mass ejection. While there is only a 1 percent probability of the Carrington Event reoccurring in any given year, modern society would be woefully underprepared to handle such a storm, according to the report. The U.K. department warns that it is difficult to forecast these events accurately. The short 12-hour warning time would leave major urban areas ill-prepared, and there is currently a “lack of capability to monitor the effects of severe events once they start.”

To prepare for this kind of storm, countries need to set plans in place to respond quickly, design safeguards in power and communications infrastructure, and send out clear alerts and warnings to the public, the report suggests.

“The main challenge we face is that awareness of the risk is low,” reads the report. “Much more needs to be done to encourage potentially vulnerable sectors to adopt measures to mitigate the likely impacts.”

So besides commenting on the potential from the sun which everyone at MrsS knows about....what do you all think of these sorts of articles making mainstream news?

MtRider :pc_coffee:

I don't know. Seems like they really down played it by saying there is only a 1% chance of it happening. I doubt that would make many people sit up and take notice. :shrug:

I don't know. Seems like they really down played it by saying there is only a 1% chance of it happening. I doubt that would make many people sit up and take notice. :shrug:

That ^ :(

We don't mind it when they're talking about "realities" of being prepared. What we don't like is when they "sensationalize" the could-be's etc. Why? They begin to become self-fulfilling prophecies and the "rush is on". Up goes prices on this and that and scarcity starts to rear it's ugly head. JOHO :-)

Edited by The WE2's

Considering our grids are quite able to be shut down easily enough through attacks of various sorts by various ones out there that would do it if they can ...... basically the same affect happens , in that things shut down, maybe more slowly because people might still be able to get gas to run their cars, but eventually gas runs out. Most people would be stuck within 3 days if not sooner without at least regular gas being pumped for the public. Everything would shut down, electrically if the grid goes down and it can take up to ten years after an emp affect bunch of damage. Some spots only 18 mos.

And as we saw in Long Beach ( did they ever get their power restored, btw , Robie? ) .... most of them didn't even have flashlights and I am terrible for not keeping up with buying batteries for mine, much less , knowing exactly where they might be. Of course I have candles and glow sticks , but those don't last all that long and I would want to conserve. This means going to sleep at dark and waking up at dawn. oh, wait, that would be natural!

People worry about running out of gas in their cars. Where are they gonna go? Nothing will be open after a couple of days anyway. I can see trying to get home if it were to happen while you are out running errands or at work. That's why we keep our tanks 3/4 full at all times. If an EMP happens and we are away from home and the cars stop running, well that's why we keep a BOB in the car. Hope I'm not too far from home if it happens. You can only prepare so far. I'm doing the best I can but I also realize that one tornado could come through and blow it all away. Literally.

I didn't know we could have up to 12 hours warning though. That would be encouraging if there were sirens going off. It's nice that the U.K. is acknowledging the possibility. Our government...not so much.

People are not set up these days, in our country, and most countries now, to live naturally. They do not know how. They are not prepared , and I am not prepared for a long emergency, really. I have tried, I have a mere chance. At least I have some things that would make a transition easier if I can keep ahold of it. It would seem brutal, a relocation, but I am tough in my core even if some things scare the bejesus out of me at times. Still, I had training to work in emergencies and there is a certain mode I go into. Can I keep it up ?

I know I'm going to be darn quiet about it if I have to do so. It wont be a time to sit around and discuss it if it happened, other than to give an opinion on cause. We may not be able to be alerted. Not with the ability hackers have these days. Especially the government backed ones who would do our countries harm.

I don't need the crisis talk when it happens. I will understand , and I will have to act because I will need every bit of time, at my pace, on foot , to make a go of it and get where I need to go and my stuff I can manage to haul with me. Hopefully I get that done before the stuff hits the fan around here. I also need to do that with some semblance of discretion. No need to attract folks I can't support either or who are no good at doing things that will need to be done in such circumstances.

There will only be a small window of time any of us has to act to help ourselves and we will be stuck with what resources we may have and if we can keep it, maybe we will have a chance to transition back to real day time living, and eventually rebuild, hopefully a better set of circumstances in the long run, compared to whats going on these days.

I feel as if this is asking a lot of me lately, lol. My minutes and hours in the first few days would be very valuable to me. I would have to change from my usual mode to something quite different.

This article and report is a matter of conciousness raising. Books and movies are used the same way, even if they are fictional. Considering the things I see online from some of the experts out there and whats going on that is too biblical to ignore at our peril, it does seem, maybe that is why these little reports are being put out there to the public. Its not like our Governments will really admit the vulnerabilities. ( Everything is peachy king, according to them, anyway. ) Really???? But the ones who know the real intel are leaking it, the ones with bonafide experience, not conspirator nut cases, are putting it out through various channels. We are in a serious pickle. Something will be coming down the pike, I feel. Probably a combination of things that hit almost simultaneously if its not just ONE BIG EVENT, that will knock us out.

Maybe within a few months time or less even , now. The conditions are all there or forming up in one way or another. If it does, I have one heck of a cold season before me to get through. In that case, action , quietly undertaken, if possible , will be my policy. I want to avoid the trouble makers. I want to avoid getting hurt or harmed by those who will take advantage. I have to counter my fears, my moments of indecision and my weaknesses physically, and just then do it and make my own stand. But the first few days to two weeks is the longest window I would probably have. So, right now, I try to do what I can while still maintaining my every day stuff here, until then. It's far from perfect. But it is more than many others I know around me. I have learned a lot of it here or think tanked it with you and thought it out quite a bit.

I do not know if I will be able to get any news at all if things go that badly south all of a sudden. But I know I must avoid the wolves that will prey on us if we let them.

Even civilly , there is more and more unrest ( pick a local situation.) There is more acting out. On so many levels. So, get your groups together and concentrate and keep your wits about you. Instruct your children and dependent adults, in emergency scenarios that pertain to you and them, how to get home or meet at a safe spot if things happen suddenly. Keep your GHB's and BOBs full and ready. ETC. Alternate routes out of where you are to a safe place, if need be. Consider weather changing things up, or damage resulting from anything that could damage roads, infrastructure, make folks mixed up and incapable of acting appropriately or in every day fashion. How do you or your loved ones navigate through that to the safe place? Chemical attacks on water sources, do you have drinkable water, is it portable or some of it, can you bring it with you.

Consider fire. With not any EMS response. Or they will be so busy, they wont be able to get there in time. I can't compete with fire. If the water in the fire hydrants won't work, they can't do much even if they can get there. Rurally, a shovel, an axe and a hoe that are good and sturdy can go a long way to make a fire break. A tractor with a blade can work too on flat ground and grassy areas. If it still works. Thirty foot wide strip around fields and house and buildings , clear dirt can often save a farm during a range fire if it is not too windy.

If something really bad happens nationally or continentally.

Question, if you don't have running water, how are you going to water your established garden ( provided there is a natural water resource handy)? So that you can still keep growing food you will need in future weeks and months?

When ever I start to garden again, I'd like to have 1-2 rain barrels set up under a downspout. Ones with a spigot at the bottom where you can attach a hose on it. Maybe even a soaker hose. And use plenty of mulch to hold the water in and keep the ground cool.

Sassenach, as of last night, they have ALMOST all power restored, but there still remains a small part still without power and the mayor of Long Beach is Pissed!!!

They still have no idea why the underground vaults exploded or how to fix it other than replace the burnt parts and hope it works.

Now as far as preparedness in the MSM, I agree with the WE2's. So long as they don't go full "doomsday prepper" or "redneck counter culture" I'm fine with it. Maybe, just maybe, someone will learn something from it.

It could be that they have found a nitch audience. Maybe it's a slow news cycle and they need something to fill time and space with, so pander to the preppers.

If it comes from FEMA or ready.gov, then that's their job, telling us to be ready, buy a kit and have a plan. Not so much as to make us mainstream preppers, but to help make things easier when something does happen. I think that's about as mainstream as it's going to get. People who prep and have food to last a year, more supplies than most third world countries will more likely be ignored or at the least find themselves on "Hoarders"

Others who stockpile "beans bullets and band aids will be lumped in with the "Ruby Ridge" survivalist crowd.

So will this article from the UK start people down the road to prepping? Not likely. It could be just one more peace of the puzzle for some.

Robie

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.