MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Surgical Instruments

YYY??? :blink: Really? It's been soooooo long! How ARE you! :wave:

Great link. Hesperian,,,,I've always wondered how they get around copyright. :scratchhead:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Hi Annarchy and MtRider,

Thank you for the warm welcome back. I haven’t gone anywhere. I read here everyday. I just haven’t had anything to contribute or questions to ask. However, yall’s welcome makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Thanks

YYY

Sarah, I'm allergic to the 'mycin' and 'cycline' family. I think I've tried them all. Sigh. I do need a script for the Bactroban and my Dr. gives me one when I ask for it. I can also get it online with no prescription. It is about $20.00 a tube if I remember correctly. I have a couple of those mesh tubes that can hold a bandage in place. I can't remember the name of it right off but you don't have to use tape with it. I'm allergic to that too. It is stretchy enough to fit around a mans upper arm.

You can use very thin fishing line but as Sarah said, it must be sterilized. Some articles say you can use thread etc. but I'd be leery of stray fibers. If I was going to use thread, I'd use quilting thread because it is stronger...and I have plenty of that at home.

Jeepers, sorry! Well, you have just about at the end of my tips. As you may have noticed, we prefer injection over topical, as we care for animals too. If topical only, then three things. Tincture of iodine, make your own! (other uses for the iodine crystals!) ---where is that emoticon for evil grin?---. 'Absorbine Junior', again, make your own, go heavy on the chloro, several recipes on the web. Then the biggest monster in the arsenal. Silver sulfadiazine cream, 1% or 2%. But I would not recomend that unless in real dire straights. 1) 'grey man'. Overuse can quite literally turn someone's menlin grey. Lots of horror stories on the web. 2) cost. That is real silver, my tube is 85 grams, each holds 20mg of silver. You do the math. 3) perscription only, and doctors are lothe to script it, liabilities.

I would not use invisible thead or fishing line, mainly for kinking reasons. I would prefer to use a polyester core thread, despite the fiber issues.

Sarah

Plan C....can we re-sterilize a suture kit [attached needle with thread left over from a previous injury] ???

Human sutures, modern, NO! Again, these are designed to be 'absorbed'. Being hydroscopic, they will disolve if attempting to resterilize. 'Vet' sutures, if monofiliment, yes. But why? Monofiliment would have much the same kink issues as your fishing line, when one has to tye the knot.

Does EVERYONE have their FIRST AID and CPR certifications? Usually inexpensive thru Red Cross, etc. GOOOD prep! The tools don't come w/ a doc.

Ummm... The red cross ones are not in good favor right now, regionally, due to politics. There is another, by a skilled trades organization, I do not remember the name right now, that is also accepted. It was created as an alternate to the red cross's. Some trades require you to have current credentials. I had both sets. The later is more 'trauma' oriented, and has a longer period. I was sent to 'scout it out'. Cheaper, and you get the references. If I come across that data I will post.

Just renewed red cross. Many changes. More $$$.

Sarah

Yeah, I've been 'out of the loop' for 25 yrs [disabled...don't get out much] so my data is pretty outdated. Yet, I've done First Aid on SO many minor and serious cases over the previous years ...I've got it stored up in brain. They kept changing the CPR stuff till I got frustrated.... DH has had to keep his certs...as medical person. If I have to keep him breathing [had to once] ...I'll do what I learned. Better than standing around wringing one's hands and waiting for the professionals to arrive.

Are all the packaged human sutures dissolving kind? I thot only the deep, inner ones would be.....but that may be another change in recent decades. :shrug:[|]...reference from when I'm talking about: Took my first class in 1967. Took my last class in the early '90s. Didn't really have the modern CPR in those early decades. Don't think Heimlich had come along by then either. [|] In 2000 my DD1 was mashed badly by hit-run. Her exterior stitches were black colored....and I'm pretty sure, removable. She had hundreds of interior, dissolving type too. Thanking God for dissolving kind!!!

Post-Hooey when professionals aren't coming and supplies are dear, is the WHY Why would you not try to use up the last of the [not dissolving] suture material....trying for as close to sterile as you can get?

Thanks for tip on vet sutures. Got plenty of catalogs to look that up. Gotta keep healthy fishies and ....goats/horses/dog.... :happy0203:

Keep thinking how big a hole it would be if you aren't able to use a threaded needle. Like trying to pull thread through a very tight weave of cloth......that tug of resistance is gonna be skin/muscle. OW! :unsure:

MtRider .....need some skin glue. Or wound stapler. That looks easier tho too big and crude for delicate work.

Edited by Mt_Rider

Sarah, I have a small bottle of iodine but it's pretty old. I can replace it easily enough and I have a couple of bottles of Betadine. I assume I'm not allergic to either one. I never thought about using Absorbine Jr. Easy enough to get too. I do have some colloidal silver but not the cream. Hummm. Thanks for the ideas.

Mt Rider, yes healthy fishies are important too! Bless their little fins. :D

Yeah, Wormie. I'll check with DH and see if our elevated usage has dropped enough that I can view that. I obviously need a refresher course!

Does EVERYONE have their FIRST AID and CPR certifications? Usually inexpensive thru Red Cross, etc. GOOOD prep! The tools don't come w/ a doc.

MtRider :fever: ....still trying to get all of the chapters in the War Surgery site to download for me. I'm up to Chapter 15.

Ironically, the boys & I renew this Saturday :)

Yeah, Wormie. I'll check with DH and see if our elevated usage has dropped enough that I can view that. I obviously need a refresher course!

MtRider :fever: ....still trying to get all of the chapters in the War Surgery site to download for me. I'm up to Chapter 15.

I have to do mine every two years...

Are all the packaged human sutures dissolving kind? I thot only the deep, inner ones would be.....but that may be another change in recent decades. :shrug:

------

I think that is now the case, all human are disolving, according to the catalogs I have. Not sure. May be just a nomenclature thing.

I think you missed a point I was trying to make. All mono filiment sutures, human or vet, kink. This makes it difficult to tie that first knot. All 'vet' ones have that flag/tag on the end of the filiment, with an intention. One pushes the needle through the flesh, then through the indention of the flag, and pulls that tight. First knot. Think tye-wrap or cable tie. Then you do a running suture from there.

I agree with your position, about knowledge when SHTF. But at the same time, I do not think it is a good time to be designing a parachute when in free fall. A little planning goes a long way.

On hemostats, for old fashioned needles, that is, not completely round, then they do quite well. The true round, problematic. I prefer the small needle nose pliers, especially with the very small ones. But if you want to play with some good hemos, visit your 'Ace Hardware'. About $6 each. Bucket at the counter.

Sarah

Sarah, I have a small bottle of iodine but it's pretty old. I can replace it easily enough and I have a couple of bottles of Betadine. I assume I'm not allergic to either one. I never thought about using Absorbine Jr. Easy enough to get too. I do have some colloidal silver but not the cream. Hummm. Thanks for the ideas.

I know that ticture of iodine has a shelf life, but have no idea of what it is. I make at need. Any DECENT pharmacy can get you the crystals, which have infinate shelf life.

Ditto Absorbine Jr, on having a shelf life.

Seriously, get the formulas from the net.

The silver sulfadiazine is not the same as colloidal. I have read that the colloidal(s) also have 'grey' issues though.

Sarah

I took a class from Dr.What's his name? .....and Nurse Amy. They greatly emphasized NOT poking extra holes [even for therapeutic purposes] if another means is possible. Each hole in our skin is an entrance point for microbes. Especially in a crisis or post-hooey environment.

Dr. Bones & Nurse Amy. Joseph & Amy Alton.

Their book is pretty spiffy: http://smile.amazon.com/Survival-Medicine-Handbook-guide-when-ebook/dp/B00HQNCGM4/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1439300002&sr=1-2&keywords=joseph+alton

If you buy it from Amazon, you can also get the Kindle version for $3, so I always have a copy with me.