MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

RURR for "Bruce Lee"?

They nicknamed this particularly strong and unpredictable EL NINO....."Bruce Lee" ..... :unsure::blink:

Doesn't sound good. :hidingsmile:

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2015/08/14/forecasters-warn-this-winter-el-nino-could-be-historically-strong/?intcmp=hpbt2

The current El Nino, nicknamed Bruce Lee, is already the second strongest on record for this time of year and could be one of the most potent weather changers of the past 65 years, federal meteorologists say.

But California and other drought struck areas better not count on El Nino rescuing them like in a Bruce Lee action movie, experts say.

"A big El Nino guarantees nothing," said Mike Halper, deputy director of the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center. "At this point there's no cause for rejoicing that El Nino is here to save the day." .............. (snip)

Economic studies favor the hero theme ["Bruce Lee"], showing that El Ninos tend to benefit the United States. Droughts and Atlantic hurricanes are reduced. California mudslides notwithstanding, the U.S. economy benefited by nearly $22 billion from that 1997-98 El Nino, according to a study.

El Nino does tend to cause problems elsewhere in the world. And while El Nino often puts a big damper on the Atlantic hurricane season, that means more storms in the Pacific, such as Hawaii, Halpert said. So far this year, tropical cyclone activity in the Pacific is far higher than normal.

So....mebbe benefit...mebbe wreak havoc... :shrug:

MtRider ...sure do NOT want to be shoveling the amount of moisture we've been having since spring.. :0327:

They keep saying that even this Godzilla sized El Nino probably wont be able to pull us out of the drought... I'll believe it when I see it...

They keep saying that even this Godzilla sized El Nino probably wont be able to pull us out of the drought... I'll believe it when I see it...

:thumbs:

We are supposed to be dryer and warmer here this winter. My gas bill, snow plow bill and I will thank Mr. Nino if that happens. I remember the last really big El Nino and that held true then.

We're supposed to be wetter and harsher than last year, and they were worried about running out of snow days for school then...

Jeepers I usually get weather a lot like yours but it says heavier snow and colder temps here.... so I dunno. I don't mind the snow, its the deep cold that lasts for weeks that gets to me mostly. ( Yes, I am successfully knitting some nice mittens in Forest Green Heather , wool ease yarn , today.) I heard the geese honking as they flew south yesterday......... so it is a definite sign winter is coming quickly. They seem early this year?

As for someone who lives in the southern California desert, any rain we get from Nino is welcome!!! :cele::thumbs:

The downsides are, no it will not pull us fully from the drought, but will make a huge dent in it, but possibly worse will be what could happen to the recent burn areas.

As you know, the west coast is burning all over from wild fires. The possibilities of mud slides and erosion could do a lot more damage.

Where I live, flash flooding is always a threat when it rains.

Still, bring the rain!!!

Robie

Coming from Colorado, we know that flash floods and mud/rock/BOULDER slides are the stepchild of wildfire. :(

We experienced a great deal of that as the rains came down this year. But...we're out of our drought, well and truly. So greeeen! So yeah, rain needed no matter the consequence. But stay wary, Robie! They are so dangerous too.

MtRider ....practically illegal to complain about moisture in any form... ;)

Edited by Mt_Rider

Sass, our weather does seem to be similar. I was going by what the map said about the 'Great Lakes' region. The lakes can really throw a curve ball into our weather though.

Yes, Jeeper, you probably get more lake affects than I do. I am happy to say I went to my friend's down the street this afternoon and found she even likes the shade of forest green heather and her boyfriend ( live in companion) doesn't mind grey simply soft yarn for a scarf for his neck and like me, he doesn't need it real long so I think I can finish is quickly enough with a simple pattern. We figured out how to add on more cast on stitches to do my friends mittens , and discussed yarns and their properties , and I showed her some of my works in progress and was so glad she accepted my explanations. We are all in the same boat with income and rather nervous about what may happen in September, as well as we need to simply be able to manage errands on foot during the cold months since none of us have cars. I can use up some of the whole yarn stash this way, making things we can really use. Maybe some quick afghans from some of the oddball colors of acrylic if I have enough time. She is going to look for some sturdy boots now that she has had her surgery on her foot and is recovering right now.

We spent time discussing current events, and my friend and I are deciding on teaching her about basics of bush craft shelters and fires and how to cache food in a tree , water purification, fire, safety with wild animals and their general behavior and how to avoid them, map reading, whats in our area that is possibly good resources and refuge for us if :smiley_shitfan: this fall with all the internet chatter on the Indicators and signs out there these days, or our enemies or civil disturbance etc do happen in a huge way.

All this was 101 level , more a light introduction, but the point was to get her thinking about these things , and that while there are major concerns about nature , and the animals out there, that it actually was more about safe walking, staying warm and dry as much as possible and having adequate food , some how, if things all of a sudden deplete of us of our monthly income and such.

One of the cold hard facts is there is no way I would let that man in my own camp . He cannot walk due to stroke injury and his personality is so bad , and she does know this, that she doesn't blame me at all for feeling this way. I can't afford to feed myself, much less another with enough difficulties for three people and then add someone who can't even collect down wood to burn for the fire, not with his attitude. Its also only a possibility I would be able to help her at all. I am trying to put my thinking cap on about how to make things easier for her to actually be of help so labor doesn't overwhelm either of us. Where I think about going, without an ATV and trailer, I can't get someone who is completely non ambulatory like this , even if I had the place set up just so ....... he also doesn't know when to shut up. Sorry, that just brings down danger when conditions and humanity took a sudden turn to chaos. He will have to figure things out , if she chose to come with me. It's cold, but this will be about sheer survival in our case and getting out of a town that already is showing cockeyed signs of danger with people here. If stuff hits the fan it will be ten times worth within hours or a few days once its understood there will be no help. Maybe setting that boundary causes ill will with him, but he dug his own hole in several ways already. I have taken months to think about it. It would be another thing if he was a congenial fellow and contributed some emotional positives and would be able to sit up and do some labor while sitting, and he could be but he chose not to be for a long time already. And quite frankly neither of us now has even enough pet food to maintain her dog or my cat. Now, if I was successful at hunting as necessary, I know I could share meat with my cat at least. If she stayed around at whatever place we ended up, when the cat food runs out. She is my buddy and loves me. I will try, it's all I could do.

Yea, I'm worried about the winter coming , especially if we end up off grid in a wild wilderness of snow and icy cold.

She is decent at making lists she said. She is going to come over soon and we are going to start preparing BOBS and inventories and lists of where I am keeping things so I can refer to the lists to help me get stuff together more quickly. I am going to grab a topo mapbook of our state for her. I will give her lessons before payday comes though, to start familiarizing her with the area. Once her foot is healed, she will work on her walking and stamina with that. We both are doing that. Landmarks identification as the seasons change.

I am also working on her with the power of suggestion, to gain some power over her stomach. She's got to toughen up and figure out a few more things she can drink or eat that are easy to fix and don't cost much so she can get some of that ( like a tea that she can enjoy since we both are limited on coffee intake and the amount of coffee we have if stuff hits, would be limited and need stretching.) and set it aside for just in case. She is going to have to eat whatever we have to eat. She has taken the first step with that, and listened to me, instead of coming up with all her explanations. I got her to focus better and I could see it benefiting her in dealing with some of her issues this summer. We discussed Aspergers. We are both classic with it. We actually get on really good too. She has been a wonderful friend for some time but this will only happen if it needed to.

I really hope it doesn't need to but in the mean time, we are going to do all we can to try and ready ourselves with what we got and can get. If we need to escape, and know of a place, and maybe I have some time to set something up there to start things, I will do that and come back and get her down there in stages, being as safe as we can. Part of this is figuring out what we can do in tasks we would need to do and figuring out division of labor, and how to be content in the back of beyond and rustic conditions, compared to what we are used to. We are not spring chickens anymore and would be dealing with extreme cold by end of October, November. We still prefer survival over some martyr like death by some jerk who decided that was ok, when it isn't.

If it doesn't need to , its still fun sharing the basics, teaching her about edible plants, how to make things to do things we need them to do, much of it with our own two hands. Get her thinking what is out there to use from the nature around us and we could be smack in the middle of because it could end up not by choice. But to do it as safely as we can. Heck we both need to have a hobby , right?

And yea, weather, it can be quite intimidating and really messy, and dangerous if it darn well wants to be. I would be happy that if I built a cabin of some sort that I had not put it under tree limbs that would come crashing down in a windstorm. So, one of the things we can do is study the trees that grow in this area...... I knew all my reference books would be useful at some point! Some, like birch can be very brittle in deep arctic blasts , and we have had two winters so far of those and they don't appear to be letting up. The pines around here also drop branches and you have to look at the hardwoods and make sure they are healthy before you embark on a project underneath, for instance. Right now while the trees are full of foilage is a good time to start tree identification and there are plenty in the town and around it where we can take our walks and point out stuff and a good mix are in the park we can both take a walk or three in and bring the tree book along. Edible plants book, etc.

More familiarity is important. Every where I have lived, trees and brush and things are very different in each of those places, and honestly, sitting in my place, not getting out like I would if I had a car to go places in regularly, I feel like I would be an alien just learning, once again if I am suddenly outside full time. Weather and seasons change it too, a lot, around here so I am thinking ahead right now. Re-teaching ourselves to see.... and think .... so, we are setting ourselves a new course, just in case.

Its a tad more empowering when your realize your lifestyle, such as it may be, has suddenly had the bottom drop out from under it and still wanting to get through whatever comes next I guess. We both recognize if these are the end times, we are in for a roller coaster ride Class M, not E, and it looks like it has just about left the station and about to throw us a curve , soon, if the indicators are for real out there. The weather around here will affect me and anyone who does join me, if we end up like that. Not exactly the time of year for dealing with such things changing so fast, but I would do my best. But I have my limits and I absolutely can't do more than I have decided on already.

I just don't have those kinds of resources or magnimonious ability to have anyone who can't contribute even a minimum, and would cost more in emotional stability and basics than I already have to hand. I will do it alone if need be, if she couldn't make the choice. I would hope they could find something that would work for them safely. Sometimes you just have to be practical. He is a major liability because of his attitude about life in general more than anything. I don't have time or energy for it and I would need to focus. There will be enough strangeness to figure out as I go along with some very hard tasks if I had to do something like that to get along daily, suddenly. I can't afford to not be able to focus and I can't feed him while I'm at it. It's just too toxic, and she knows this is how I feel and does not blame me. None of these kinds of decisions are easy to make.

One has to set safe boundaries when there are major things coming up, and I am thinking that out these days as I try to organize and maybe do end up having another person who can do some stuff, that would be a good companion, when all you can do is stay inside and keep warm through long winters days and nights and be content in an isolated spot if necessary to get by with.

For me, dealing with the weather around here is an essential issue. If Bruce Lee comes marching and swhirling across the continent and ends up dancing on my head, it could get really challenging, even if I can remain with a standard roof over my head this winter. If there is sudden added inconvenience of no power suddenly and other assorted things, its going to be a real adventure really fast this year.

It will be a mixed blessing , and it will continue the damages in the fire areas. Ive had about 4 relatives in danger from these fires, so far they have stayed lucky, but some , just barely lucky over the past several weeks. They continue. As the drought will not get enough relief even if the rest of the country remains ok, its going to really alter life in California next year.

It is like the Dust Bowl era, but in reverse. Unfortunately most places don't have the capacity to handle another transmigration these days. I hear of folks leaving now and I think that is wiser than trying to wait it out. :beat_deadhorse:

I wonder what the stats say? Are folks moving from areas that have had severe winter or severe wildfires or severe drought? What makes people move in our modern [controlled heating/AC environments] era??? More economics than weather? But weather affects economics to a certain extent.

MtRider ...Hmm..... :scratchhead:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.