Oh What A Night

Jeepers

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This posted today on SDP:

From Team Hunter and Wendy:

Hunter had a great day! He tolerated long sitting on the couch and sitting with legs bent with his braces on. Wendy is much happier when Hunter has his all of braces off because she can get so much closer to him! We need to curb her excitement a little...she already tried sitting on him twice and he's not ready for that yet ????. Tonight he gets to take a shower without worrying about getting his cast wet or his incisions too wet!

We appreciate all the support that you have given Hunter through thoughts and prayers, cards, gifts, and just checking in. He is lucky to have all of you, family and friends, his school community, his extended SDP family, and strangers who just check in because Hunter & Wendy are pretty neat! You have all helped him through the "hard, boring part" and hope you continue to check in during his "busy, hard rehab part," including Hunter relearning to walk with Wendy! ~Andy & Kelly

post-2492-0-29736200-1457054890_thumb.jpg

Hunter's Story. It doesn't say, but he was born 14 weeks early which resulted in the C.P. Another miracle kid who has so much more zest for life and strength than I could ever imagine. They make me a better, more thankful person just by 'knowing' them...I hope.

Hunter VanBrocklin is a kid on the go. The fearless fourth grader loves to hike on his family’s 20-acre property in Alfred, Maine, with his constant canine companion Wendy by his side. He trekked through national parks in the U.S. and Canada with his parents and sister in the summer of 2015. He’s even developed his own version of four-wheeling.

Hunter is exceedingly mobile for a child who shouldn’t be walking, according to the experts.

“When Hunter was a baby, he was slow to roll over and crawl and wasn’t walking,” recalls his mother Kelly VanBrocklin. His pediatrician referred Hunter to Dr. Gregory Melkonian, an orthopedist in the Boston Children’s Hospital Orthopedic Center and Cerebral Palsy Program, who diagnosed Hunter with cerebral palsy, just shy of his second birthday.

Melkonian performed botulinum toxin (Botox) injections and serial casting to reduce the spasticity in Hunter’s ankles and improve his walking and balance. Hunter also was fitted with lower leg braces.

As a toddler, Hunter started using a walker to get around. He jokes, “That walker didn’t stand a chance. Walkers are good for going at slow speeds, but they aren’t meant for kids on the go.” Hunter broke his second walker in less than a year.

“Hunter is a bit stubborn,” grins Hunter’s Dad Andy.Hunter with his walker

Over the next five years, Hunter had a series of Botox and phenol injections. His cerebral palsy team expanded to include physiatrist Dr. Donna Nimec and orthopedic surgeon Dr. Benjamin Shore, an orthopedic surgeon in Boston Children’s Child and Young Adult Hip Preservation Program.

After each injection, Hunter’s doctors worked together to determine how to improve his gait and walking mechanics.

Cerebral palsy can cause muscle tone to be too high (spasticity) or too low (which causes problems with balance).

“Managing tone is kind of like cooking. Every kid has his own recipe,” explains Shore.

Despite Hunter’s determination, walking became increasingly more challenging between ages five and seven. His balance issues worsened, and the effects of his hip dysplasia became more apparent. As a result, Hunter needed a lot of energy to walk.

“He’s a precarious walker and struggles with balance on a good day,” explains Shore.

Andy and Kelly needed to figure out a way to keep their son mobile and active.

They started researching service dogs and connected with Service Dog Project in Ipswich, Massachusetts.

When Kelly first called, she was told Hunter was too small and too young for a service dog. The VanBrocklins decided to attend an open house anyway, knowing the research might be helpful in the future.

Hunter charmed the founder of the organization, and after demonstrating his walking prowess, the organization decided to pair the boy with a mobility dog. The VanBrocklins were cautioned that matching Hunter with a dog could take two to five years.

A few months later, Service Dog Project invited the VanBrocklins to return so Hunter could try walking with a few dogs.

Everyone knew right away — Hunter and Wendy, a 108-pound Great Dane puppy, were a match. “It took two people to drag Wendy away from the car when we left that day,” recalls Hunter.

Three days after bringing Wendy home, Hunter had an appointment with Shore and Nimec. The doctors were amazed at the progress he had made in such a short time with Wendy. Hunter made sure to do everything else his doctors recommended.

“He wore his braces and knee immobilizers every night and worked hard in therapy. He could have lost range of motion,” says Kelly.

Adds Andy, “We treat him like an athlete.”

Over the next few months, Hunter and Wendy trained together, and Hunter learned how to walk with Wendy supporting him on the left side, rather than a walker as support for both sides.

Hunter gradually gained strength, and Wendy adapted to family life. Every day after school, Wendy greeted Hunter with a puppy-level excitement. “I had to brace myself for a hug from a Great Dane,” says Hunter.

That first summer, the pair became inseparable. “I can take her out in the woods and look at what I want to look at without getting stuck.”

Hunter developed muscles in his legs for the first time and even started walking independently for short distances.

Unfortunately, the dynamic duo of Hunter and Wendy could not overcome the effects of his condition. By age 9, his muscles had become tighter, and at their combined visit, Shore and Nimec told his parents surgery was Hunter’s next best option.

“There were tears in the room. Mom and Dad had known surgery was on the horizon for Hunter, but it’s never an easy conversation or decision,” says Shore. Without surgery, Hunter’s condition would continue to deteriorate, and he would ultimately need a wheelchair.

Hip dysplasia surgery changes the alignment of the hip and femur. The goal is to improve Hunter’s walking mechanics, so he uses less energy and will walk even better down the road, explains Shore.

The VanBrocklins decided to go ahead and scheduled the surgery for January 2016. While most families prefer to have elective procedures early in the summer, Kelly and Andy knew Hunter would want to be as mobile and active as possible during the summer.

Two months after his surgery, Hunter is ready to start the hard work of rehabilitation, which will begin with range-of-motion exercises, gait retraining and pool therapy. Rehabilitation is a slow process that can take 12 to 18 months.

Hunter, Wendy and family have their eyes on the prize — long hours lost in the woods, afternoons of sunshine and swimming and countless years of active companionship.
http://thriving.childrenshospital.org/hunters-story-oh-places-hell-go/

post-2492-0-73893000-1457659453_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-28144900-1457659465_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-23503800-1457659476_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-88878400-1457659491_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-66966100-1457659507_thumb.jpg

:cheer: Go Hunter and Wendy!

Boy, I can really understand the line: "He’s a precarious walker and struggles with balance on a good day,” I'm a 'precarious walker' on my bad days...which is better than what Hunter is living with. I was blessed to have a nearly normal life with only a few "oddities" until I was nearly 40. So wonderful for this child to get to experience more normal things in his childhood with his pal, Wendy. :cloud9:

MtRider :amen:

So many of us take so much for granted. Simple things like just standing up and walking. I remember watching him in the summer at SDP and he really struggled to walk even with a walker. It was heartbreaking to watch him fall. After he got Wendy he was like a new kid. You could see it in the way he carried his body and especially in his smile. He smiles now. :yar:

Koa had to be my service dog a couple nights ago. EVERYthing was going wrong. I took her for a shorter walk thru the pasture. I had to step thru two [smooth-not barbed] fencing wires to return to driveway. They're spread widely apart due to the lower wire being too loose. Well that danged thing reached out and grabbed my boot and HUNG ON! Splat! down I went. Koa was occupied with a stick till I called to her from the ground. Then she came over where I could pull on her body harness -- use my other foot to free my boot from the stupid wire.

THEN...I just lay on my back and rested for a while before attempting to get up. Nice starry night. I was WAY overheated...which is dangerous and makes me a lot less 'able' [physically/cognitively]. :knary: Koa just sat next to me, scanning for anything 'not right' in our world. Then when I thot I could....I used her harness again and leverage with the ski pole I use when walking rough ground. Finally got back on my feet. Getting back to truck was 'precarious walking'!!! Koa's tall enough that my hand rests on her back....or clutching her harness strap. She occasionally needs a reminder that ON THIS WALK....she's "On Duty"....so pay attention to me. As in: if I'm up...I must be ok.... :grinning-smiley-044: Usually our walks are all about HER! When I'm down tho....that is very much NOT OKAY!

MtRider ....Koa is definitely a Daddy's Girl .....but she WATCHES/GUARDS me! Has a fit if I go to the barnyard without her! :darth duck:

I'm so glad you have Koa and training her to help you! When you think about it, she has saved your bacon quite a few times. :wub:

Dogs are so smart if we can just get out of their way and teach them what they already know.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that Koa is your side kick! Abby-girl is very "observant" of me and heels very well when I'm walking her...but I'm not sure she'd stand still for me to try to use her to get on my feel if I fell :-( I do know we were camping one time last year and a friend's son was to walk me back to our campsite (it was pitch dark) and he took off. MrWE2 was with the dad, thinking the son was walking me. So...I took Abby-girl and she heeled me right along the edge of the roadway and wouldn't let me wander into the middle of the campground asphalt. When we got to our campsite, she "heeled" me right towards "home"... and when the truck with MrWE2 came up from behind us, she made sure I was out of the way. Then...it was "Oh, it's my human daddy" waggy tail and I was on my own (guess she figured MrWE2 was now in control! LOL Yes, our furrbabies are wonderful! And again, I think it's so wonderful your lady is so trustworthy!

Wow....yea Abby!!!! :cheer: They do have that pack-protection instinct which is a good thing for us.

There are a lot of assist things that Koa would be no good at. Any fetch and carry....she does not understand the concept. Barely played fetch as a pup. So even if I desperately NEEDED the water bottle, phone, mylar cover for shelter from heat or cold.....I'd be on my own. Which is why I CARRY those things.

However if it's guarding in any way......she's on it! Even if it's getting me back HOME safe.

MtRider .....it's all so amazing, isn't it? :wub:

Joy is very good about helping me up and has lent her bulk to me for the purpose of pulling me to my knees at least. But she is not as tall as Abby or Koa so there is a limit to what she can do . She does get concerned about me sleeping in my chair in the daytime but I think she is putting heavy activity beforehand as the explanation. No going to bed in the daytime though!!

Joy is very good about helping me up and has lent her bulk to me for the purpose of pulling me to my knees at least. But she is not as tall as Abby or Koa so there is a limit to what she can do . She does get concerned about me sleeping in my chair in the daytime but I think she is putting heavy activity beforehand as the explanation. No going to bed in the daytime though!!

:thumbs:

Mr. Clarkie Barkie aka Clark has been training with his person the last couple of weeks. They came on camera the last 2 days. She stood up and Clark got up and came to her for assistance. She grabbed on and out the door they both went. It was a beautiful thing! So, Caroline and Clark will be heading home to Cincinnati Thursday. I'm sure going to miss his furry little butt, but that is why I'm involved with supporting the pups. Plus they are so stinkin' cute.

Baby Clark:

post-2492-0-26486300-1458010051_thumb.jpg

After all that....it FELL DOWN AGAIN? Aaaugh!

I have a particular irritation with THINGS THAT DON'T STAY FIXED! :motz_6: Figure I don't have enough energy to do it the first time....let alone again....and again...and again...

Wind blowing so strong the past 2 days....things are FLYING all over. Big wind is frequent here, especially spring. So we keep things pretty well battened down. But....then there is REALLY BIG WIND! Can't even keep my thermometer hanging....cuz that was the demise of the last one. Saw the plastic sleds [use them to move things around the property] have been tossed around. Sheeesh!

WIND also scrambles my nervous system in minutes! Just toooo much stimulation on the sensory network - auditory/visual/tactile. ACK! :imoksmiley:

MtRider :yar:

Clark's first day at work: :wub:

Clark has done very well today at his first day with me at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. It's been a quiet day (and a short one), so good for him to get to check things out for the first time. Earlier, we walked outside, uphill towards another part of the hospital. It's not a steep incline, but I haven't been able to do that in about a year! Also, everyone at my office is so impressed by Clark. There is one woman that I work with who is afraid of dogs--she did come by to see me and Clark. She said that she doesn't like when dogs come up to her and sniff her and want attention--I told her that it's his job to NOT do that! She replied that she wished all dogs were like that, and that Clark is the first dog she's ever liked! Not bad for a day's work.

Caroline

From Hunter and Wendy's mom speaking of his rehab:

"Hunter will be postop week 8 on Thursday!! He is doing amazing! Today during therapy he did a squat and got up from the floor with minimal help from his PT. And he walked 20 minutes on the treadmill with the harness on, but it was not supporting any of his weight. And the biggest thing he did today was another first since the surgery....steps with Wendy!❤ Look for videos of that to come! I love the first one because of Wendy tail! It wagged like crazy, she was so happy! They did great for the first time. Hunter was on the opposite side he normally uses, he had his PT, Pam's hand on the other side for a little extra support and Wendy just wanted to go with Hunter because of all her excitement! Hunter used the "one step, whoa" technique and talked Wendy through it. They made it about 30 ft. including 2 doorways...not bad for the first time! Hunter's got a long way to go, but this is a way for them to start as a team again, and be even better! Sorry for the rambling, but we are so proud of Hunter and his progress in such a short time, and Wendy and her patience and unconditional love for Hunter! She is the reason he is doing so well, getting him stronger before the surgery and motivation for after the surgery!❤"

Hunter and Wendy (along with a lot of others) were invited to go to Boston to speak at the children's hospital. I'm not sure when they are going yet. Hunter is to speak about the challenges children with disabilities have and what can be done to help them. He's really a neat kid.

Once upon a time:

A Great Dane named Gus was born. He was so handsome! Then the next day they discovered 'it' was the umbilical cord they were looking at. Oopsie. So Mr. Gus became Miss Gussie overnight. Eat your heart out Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner. :24:

For whatever reason (I can't remember now) Gussie wasn't going to be a service dog so one of the volunteers took her home to live at her house with the knowledge she might be a breeding dog one day. So, a couple of years later Gussie had her first litter. One of her puppies (Maeve) was born not breathing. Sorry to say it happens often. But the pup had a little bit of muscle tone to her. Carlene worked so hard on her for a half an hour to try to get her to breathe. She was rubbing her with a towel and blowing small puffs of air at her nose and gently flopping her around and patting her. Then Gussie was about to deliver another puppy so Carlene handed Maeve off to Kati who kept it up for another half an hour. Talk about tense! An hour after she was born she was breathing on her own but they couldn't get her to latch on to nurse. Another hour of working with her and she was finally nursing. Whew! Just another night of tears and laughter with about 1,000 close 'friends'.

After the hard time it took to get Maeve to breathe, Carlene decided she should never be a service dog because she was without oxygen too long and when she is older she MIGHT develop seizures. Too big of a chance to take with a disabled human. So the lady who took Gussie home also took her daughter, Maeve. So far they are both happy and healthy.

And they live happily ever after.

The End. :curtsey:

post-2492-0-07370300-1458960879_thumb.jpg