MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

22 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

I'm hating the new mask law in VA.

If you know of any stores in your town or surrounding  area that are not happy about enforcing this edict, show them this sign and suggest that they make their own version of it.

:rolleyes:

396280855_nomaskneeded.thumb.jpg.8d7eabd4e67351bbb7bb57bf6292c071.jpg

• Like 5
Just now, Ambergris said:

What section of HIPAA covers interactions between a merchant and its customers or invitees?

Found this site - lots of good info: https://www.truthorfiction.com/covid-19-hipaa-face-mask-exemption-passes/

COVID-19 Mask Mandate Exemption, in Summation

A viral image claiming HIPAA and the ADA exempted anyone who didn’t want to wear a mask from localized COVID-19 face mask mandates didn’t appear to be legally sound — even in the more regulated employer/employee relationship and even in the presence of a legally documented disability, individuals “unable” to wear masks might be sent home without pay for the duration of the pandemic. Businesses were within their rights to refuse entry to anyone not complying with local public health ordinances requiring masks, and even in the event a legally documented disability prevented the wearing of masks, no one was entitled to jeopardize public health due to their own disability. It was possible those who printed and presented the COVID-19 mask exemption document would be allowed entry, but we found no legal basis permitted people who didn’t want to wear masks from violating regional public health ordinances.

Makes me wonder if this sign might get a business in trouble?

502038976_nomaskneeded.thumb.jpg.da40362392659eb453a1b8a59af3d8d4.jpg

• Confused 1

People who think they can get away with a sign that will satisfy everyone generally have another think coming.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Citing HIPPA sounds great.  But in practice...health department will still be fining businesses when they see mask-less customers and other customers will accost me for not wearing one.  Overall...not worth it.  I'm staying home.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Sad 2

:woohoo:NOT!

We broke a heat record, dating back to 1910, we hit 112°F in Phoenix.  Our thermometer said 110° in the shade... the car said 115°.  Yeah, it’s hot.

I did an AZ rain dance, I washed my van.  :shakinghead:  And guess what?  The clouds are building and there is dust storm warnings.  :008Laughing:

Then, the elderly lady called and asked me to take some food the food bank stuffed in her car.  They put 2 unopened cases of hash browns and tater tots.  Yikes, I will be vacuum sealing all the 5lb. Bags into meal sized packages.  

Then, I managed to empty one paper box. That leaves 5 boxes and 6 drawers.  Working on it.  

oh, did laundry, refilled the dog, chicken and bird water, picked 10 tomatoes, cleaned up dog puke-he ate too much, played and got too much heat.  Poor baby.  

DH turned on the news,first time since MIL left.  Oh my, why are people here in AZ rioting, destroying property, businesses, government buildings, because one person was treated wrong in Minnesota?  I know, because they can,and they think they all are treated that way.  Sigh!  The person who did it has been arrested and formally charged with manslaughter, so why the riots?  Justice is being served. Do I wanna riot cause my friend died, because the hospitals wouldn’t take him?  Oh, never mind, he was white.   :soapbox:

• Sad 2

CM snapped this pic of me before going to neurosurgeon in another town...me in my covid combat gear...drop down the mask off my head draw my sanitizer from the fanny pack, and the back brace, well, just the ugly factor should scare away any covid carriers....lol.....Yes we still mask up and scrub up.  Covid is not dead, people are just tired of it.

984212405_kathyscovidcombatgear.jpg.196b6fc20f3d584144a1ebbc6610f300.jpg     Today we spent most of the day at a friends house.  CM was staining boards and their menfolk were rebuilding their dock.  The old boards were so old that somebody put their foot thru, so it was time.  Tomorrow we will go back for more.  I did score some canning jars for $4 off per dozen, (bought 3, more on the 1st if they are still on sale) and tomorrow I will go pick up some of their huge slabs of sirloin steaks to can.  CM  has had both my canned chicken in broth & my canned beef in broth and has pronounced them both "good" so I am authorized to can more.  She wants hamburger, too so we will watch for a sale.  I did clear up some space in the freezer to hold any surplus until I get it in the jars (yay, me!).  CM, like my DH cant believe I like canning, but what can I say....I like canning stuff.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 5/26/2020 at 10:37 PM, Mt_Rider said:

cuz of the mice

Have you watched the videos of Lisa Sutton's on how effective beer has been for so many in getting rid of mice? Lots of her followers have tried it and it works.  They are attracted to it, drink it, and because they can't fart...it kills them via "their nose"???  Anyway...they're all swearing by it.  I haven't put a dish of it out yet, but will if I see any of them prowling around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
17 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I'm envisioning...mask on.... mask off, bite.... mask on...  rinse, repeat.   I'm not leaving the house.  

Poor Euphrasyne!  I'd hate to have kids to teach how to deal with these new customs and ways and means.  Especially when TPTB keep CHANGING the mandates!!!  :motz_6:

Back in the "olden days" in January 2020 .....before everything went sideways into COVID......   I went to my new doctor for the first time with a horrid, NOISY case of bronchitis.  I wore my own surgical mask in from the parking lot.  The aim was to protect others.  When doc was doing the eyes, ears, nose, throat part of the exam, YES she DID say:  Mask down.......Mask up!  ....for the nose/throat part.  Since she suspected that I just MIGHT have pertussis/whooping cough, she most definitely said she was glad I came in masked.  Well, yes....cuz I'm miserably sick and that's just polite!  [didn't have pertussis.] 

Along comes COVID with all this mystery as to when/if any given individual MIGHT be contagious....  All that sensible precaution turns into a nightmare.  :scratchhead: 

MtRider  :pray:    .....and I really AM staying home

• Like 5

Yes, Annarchy, they riot because they think they can.  They are starting up in Atlanta, too, despite all the people telling them not to.  Their daytime protest was huge, and peaceful, but, as usual, when it gets dark the scofflaws take to the streets and guess what...they will take advantage of the unrest to play catch up and '"get their while the getting is good".  So far they are making arrests when they can figure out who they are.  Ironic how they loot for profit then try to hide behind the excuse of being upset....glad I am no longer working as I would be in Milwaukee, WI staring down protesters and ducking BB shots & rocks right about now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yikes, Kappydell, dealing as a peace keeper in riots...  DH did the L.A. riots, full gear.  Had me on edge every day.  Scary stuff.  

I’m glad you are out of it now, and, if you don’t mind, “Thank you for your service”.  

The closest I was ever allowed to work in the service, was giving the SO their tests, to be considered for the positions, prior to employment.  (Shucks, I still remember the contents.  Lol.)

And that back brace looks uncomfortable.  I wore a plaster cast, from my armpits down to my bum, for a year, when I crushed my spine, back in the early ‘70’s.

• Sad 2

Went meat shopping via Amish country today.  Spent most of the afternoon vacuum sealing "our portion" sizes and they're waiting in the 5-day cooler for us to take to the homestead's "meat" freezer.  Now that I've learned the spices to make ground turkey taste like hamburger we're good to go "if" we need to.  I've still got some of the large rolls in the meat freezer that we bought last fall...thank you Lord for your direction (my gut feeling) in my life.  We keep saying we need to defrost the meat freezer (it's an upright) but about the time we get it down to a reasonable size...we get these bargains and put some back in.  Oh well...we'll get some time and put it all in the coolers and take the hairdryer to defrost it.  

The garden is doing very well.  I bought ten of the wire baskets at $Tree to put over my young plants as well as 10 of the "sparkling spinners" that I can stick in the tubs and around in the potato beds and on the blackberry stalks.  The raspberries show no sign of anything but green leaves.  We cut all the dead canes out so these may be first year. 

Tomorrow when we go the homestead to put things away, hubby will finish mowing while I tend to the tubs etc.  Need to get to WM before too long to buy some tulle to have when the baskets are too small for the plants.  Will also need to dig out the DE to put around the base of the tubs to discourage slugs etc.  

Hubby still need to finish cleaning up the truck so we can sell it, and put the dollars with our other money's to buy us another mini-van.  He has a brand new little trailer (he's never put it together!) that he bought before he met me.  He's going to put a floor and some sides on it an he can use it to haul things around behind the mini-van as well as we can use it behind Miss B if we want to go camping.  Once the truck is sold we'll clean out the travel trailer and sell it also. Lots of things on our plate.

• Like 3

I got the mattress ordered for Indy. 15% off  :woohoo:

Thanks to Ambergris for the recommendation. Arrives Tuesday. Sure will beat sleeping on the floor. Son has a spare bedroom set up that I used to use but if I stay there I never will get anything done.

The mattress I'm sleeping on here in Ohio is 40 years old. It is shaped perfectly to form to my body. And not in a good way. It pretty much sags and bags every where I do. It ain't purdy. 

Got the ear protectors sent to the short one. I sent the wrong ones. I sent adult size. I caught it in time to cancel but decided to let it go and order the correct ones. I'm sure one of us can use them in the yard or garage for ear protection. Maybe one of them will use them for mowing. To be honest, there have been times when I was running the vacuum cleaner or blender that I thought about using some. Those things are very loud. 

Went to the grocery store to get my prescriptions filled. I didn't need any food but I did do a quick look through. Every thing was still well stocked except for those little bitty cans of baked beans. I would have bought some of those. I still have plenty but sometimes I like to eat a can of them for a snack. They are small. Maybe a larger store has them. 

Name brand paper towels and TP was well stocked. Other than the baked beans, the only other empty shelves was still the bathroom cleaning supplies. It's been that way all month. 

I went down the health and beauty aisle and it was stocked up except for Zinc, hand sanitizer, masks and gloves. 

I swung by the little drug store for one of their salads. I went past the canning aisle. They had restocked everything. Even added some jars. Since they had restocked the lids, I bought six more boxes. They have plenty of them now. 

• Like 5

:cele:We got rain yesterday evening!!!  :cele:

Enough to water the yard. :amen:  It was 112°F around 3 pm., got humid, clouds, thunder and a bit of distant lightning.  Very refreshing.

AZ rain dance paid off.  (Just wash the vehicle.) :008Laughing:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yay for rain, Annarchy!  And glad you got a discount on your new mattress, Jeepers!

It's not raining here, just hot and dry, well and humid.

First, I watered gardens early this morning, then did two videos, then went to Dollar General for something I forgot yesterday.

Came home and watched Church on you tube, messed around in the garden pulling weeds training cukes up fence and re-directing watermelon plants. Also trying to find something to tie tomatoes to until I can find stakes. Went out front and finished dead heading rose garden.

Next, I will make 3 bean salad and maybe a sugar free jello dessert. Having a hard time sitting still today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Miki, I rediscovered jell-o this year. I had forgotten how much I really like it. Especially the watermelon, blueberry and grape. They aren't extremely flavorful but so refreshing in the mouth. 

• Like 4

Put the baskets over my garden fledglings...LOL  and added the colorful spinners.  We've got blackberries so I put several spinners on the pvc poles that we have it climbing over.  The potatoes are still flourishing.  Had to remind hubby that this year (other than the potatoes) that everything I planted was my experiment growing my own starts and using old seeds...LOL

He mowed the rest of the homestead's yard on the east and then went to the Roost and did some major mowing, weed eating and shrub cutting.  Got home about 7 so I fixed us some crunchy burritos.  Picked up some of the Tortilla strips from $Tree (from Mexico) and used them.  They are multi colored and delicious.  Just tiny strips of tortilla's. Then put some rice on the side.  Quick and EZ because I always use the "crumbles" that we buy from the Amish.  They brought these in from Iowa, which is a large community of Amish/Mennonite.  

Guess hubby's going to need to put the window a/c in this house.  Temps going to be in the upper 80's and low 90's.  Not comfortable, especially at night because it doesn't cool off until about 2am.  He also hung me a temporary clothesline under the carport so I can take care of laundry here and get the work done here that I need to do.  With the self-wicking tubs it appears I only need to water about every 3 or 4 days.

Also picked a small batch of Lambs Quarter and we'll have it in our scrambled eggs in the morning.  

• Like 6

Very low energy day.  No where to go and nuthin' to do when we get there so......  Read.  Took nap.  Cleared kitchen after DH cooks.  Shed dog daily for past weeeeeks!  :rolleyes:   Forgot to call my friend in Iowa again.  Trying to remember on a weekend!  Hmph.....days all blend together.

Glad you got rain, Annarchy.  We've had several days of afternoon showers.  Like 25 yrs ago.  Kept things green.   Never rained long but it was regular.  No big wildfires in those days.  We've got some rain scheduled for about 8 days in a row.  Did some unplugging/plugging back in of my laptop tho.  :shrug:  I don't take chances up here in the elevation for lightning strikes.

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 4

The rain was a blessing, however, we watched several fire planes fly overhead, heading towards the south east mountains, the Sonoran Ntl. Forest.  Sigh.

Restful day, yesterday.  We sat in the spa for a bit, when the temp exceeded108° in the shade.  It’s cold water, no heat. :happy0203:  I will need to drain/refill some of the water, to cool it back down.  We talked about getting a replacement, with one of the new ones, that does both heat & cold.  Ours is over 25 years old, but, is in perfect condition, PTL.

Then, barbecued a couple steaks, made a salad, & microwaved a can of ranch beans for dinner.  

Today, it’s going to be busy.  Need to gather tomatillos, tomatoes, and jalapeños.  It’s the first of the month, book work and bills.  Later today, a customer is coming over to learn about starting his own business, what the necessary requirements will be.  

Oh, and it’s house cleaning day.  :dusting:

Time to get at it.  Hoping everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 5

One morning appointment, one afternoon appointment (pulmonologist--too sick to go last time I was scheduled).  Bits of the day-job work tucked between, through the magic of the internet.  Then a friend is trying to teach me to play Warcraft this evening.  We were supposed to play yesterday, but whenever she wasn't busy, I was.

• Like 2

Busy day. Walked, etc., fed dogs, checked one hardware store and found posts at an ok price. Went to State Park to visit with a friend, then Walmart for monthly stock up, then another hardware store for chicken wire.
Paid bills, called in a prescription to pick up tomorrow, still need to water gardens tonight.

• Like 2
On 5/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, Jeepers said:

(Got the ear protectors) To be honest, there have been times when I was running the vacuum cleaner or blender that I thought about using some. Those things are very loud. 

I don't need ear protectors to drown out the sound of the vacuum or the blender. I either turn down my hearing aids or take them out until I'm done. ;) :rolleyes: :whistling:

On 5/30/2020 at 6:37 PM, The WE2's said:

Now that I've learned the spices to make ground turkey taste like hamburger we're good to go "if" we need to. 

Have you shared that recipe/knowledge here before? If not, why not? If yes, where can I find it??? :cook:

On 5/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, Jeepers said:

I went down the health and beauty aisle and it was stocked up except for Zinc, hand sanitizer, masks and gloves. 

Around here there is now a glut of hand sanitizer - but they are NOT selling at pre-COVID prices! :duck1:

• Like 2

May has been a very busy month.  DH to ER 3 times and admitted twice and still facing surgery to clip the mitral valve. Not sure of a date yet. 

We have had home health and phy. therapy in 3 times a week.  Getting really tired now. DH is in bed asleep now. Therapy worked him over today. 

We are not doing a garden this summer. We lost the plants we had started from seed before DH went into hospital the first time. I just can't keep up a garden, clean house and take care of DH. To much on plate and DH comes first before garden or house cleaning.  I have been working on trying to help him get some strength back.  Pulling him up from a laying or sitting position is starting to take a toll on my back and neck. I have a plate in my neck with Godiva bone from C4 to C7.  Hoping I haven't done anything to it.  Though I think once the mitral valve is clipped off and the heart starts pumping like it should, then DH will start to get stronger. The hospital both times would not let him get up and walk. So this has really taken a toll on him physically.  Muscle mass is about gone. Started him on glucerna and other high protein drinks as well as trying to build his weight back up.  He is down to 147 lbs. He has lost over 25 lbs. since this all started back at the end of April. 

Found a site called Healthy heart Market that sells low and no salt items. I bought a lot of things from there for DH as his sodium is very limited. So far I have been very happy with their products. Though the veggies I can my own without salt. So I don't buy those as well as make my own soups. But gravies, some seasonings, chips with no salt etc. are great. Also bought some freeze dried soup mixes from them as I can add to that and can it. They make a large pot of soup, so I make it up and can it for quick meals for lunches. 

We are going to hit 90 degrees either Wed. or Thurs. for first time. Guess this means summer is on the way.

Had to go buy a new cell phone on top of everything that has been going on. Mine died while in the hospital. Couldn't even text on it very easily anymore.  Went with T-Mobil senior plan.  Not a bad plan.  unlimited everything. 

Hope everyone is doing well now that the weather is warming up.  I know the riots are bad in many places and praying no one is near where they are. 

Went to store to pick up some things for DH to help get some weight on him. Losing to much weight now. But he has been afraid to eat or drink much of anything because of the fluid building around his stomach. This is caused from the heart not pumping like it should.  Bought some more no sugar gatorade or Zero. He will drink that. Bought some glucerna as well. Hoping to get him eating better. Just got to keep the salt and the sugar low as he is salt restricted and a diabetic as well. Got him some sugar free ice cream also. He won't turn that down.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hubby got my clothes lines up under the carport...two for the time being.  So much more efficient than a dryer...and having to haul them to the homestead's dryer and wait for them to dry.  Now I can absolutely multi-task!  Wash clothes in the evening (which I am doing now) and hang out in the morning. 

As for making ground turkey taste like hamburger...I use Montreal Steak Seasoning, a couple of drops of liquid smoke, a pinch of Cumin, a pinch of Smoked Paprika and let it "rest" for about an hour in the frig.  Then mix up really good, and pull out what I need for the meal and freeze the rest.  

Hubby stopped by the Community Kitchen to pick up his lunch and they remembered him and gave him two meals, one for me also.  Spaghetti, soughdough bread and peaches...hot meals for lunch.  They also sent him two "freezer" meals but I'm not sure what I'll do with them.  It's a wheat tortilla, a hotdog, pork and beans and orange bits.  We can eat most of it, but just wondering about the hot dogs and tortilla's...LOL  Like I said, saves the food we have put back and it's good foods donated from local restaurants...not to mention that it's one meal I don't have to cook so I can get other things done.

Not sure about the rest of you, but "they" came to our city from the bigger city but our Mayor went door to door at the down town businesses and alerted them, and the police and sheriff's were there waiting for them...so...they went to a city park...escorted by the police and sheriff deputies, with highway patrolmen and national guard around the perimeters.  They flagged their dumb signs and then moved on...escorted out of town of course.  There were only about 30 of them but they were here to try and incite others from our city I'm sure.  Good thinking and good action from our city and state!

We'll be buying storage bags and totes and plan to start moving our non-essential stuff on over to the homestead in preparation for moving so we don't have to do it all at once.  

We've decided that if any more junk starts and we have to defend ourselves, we'll head for the homestead and just sleep in the travel trailer.  Nearly everything we own is there including our "bad boys".

The homestead is far enough away from the downtown area...and quite a distance from the "upper end' neighborhoods and nearly all the big box stores...so we figure they'll head that direction and not towards us "poor" folk! LOL

• Like 4

DH is concerned about “them”. PTL, they haven’t done anything in our tiny town. :amen:  He took my thin blue line off my vehicle, said cause of “them”.  I respect our LEO’s.  Not all of them are bad.  They protect us from “them” and put their own lives on the line, and rarely, does anyone thank them.  Sigh. 

Books balanced, bills paid, and dinner was cooked, not before having to go to WM to get another air frier.  Mine died completely.  :sigh:  One year warranty, two years later after constant use.  We got our moneys worth.  This one is the Pro, but only has a 90 day warranty, and the paperwork says, when you buy it, you relinquish any right to sue?  Really!?  I don’t care, it cooked dinner tonight, and that was worth it.  Lol.

• Like 3