MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Mt. Rider, we were posting at the same time. I'm glad you had such a nice time with your folks!

Sorry there was a death in your extended family though. Since Covid, the funeral home that my family has used for generations is now recording the funeral service and posting it online where their obituary is. I kind of got hooked on it and have 'been' to several funerals in the past few months. :sEm_blush:

• Like 4

Mt. Rider, so sorry to hear about a death in family.  I know that makes it much harder when it is at Thanksgiving or any other holiday.  It's hard on family at any time but to have that happen during a holiday just makes it that much harder.  DH"s father pasted away on Christmas Eve. Very hard times in dead. And Corvid does not help it any.

But on a good note.  Hope everyone had a very nice Thanksgiving and didn't over eat all that good food. I need to go on a diet now. Ate to much. DH did eat more than usual. So that was a good sign.  The guy that is going to put in the ramp, came over early today and took a look at what needed to be done. The ramp is going to be in garage and not at patio door. He doesn't think DH should be going outside to get in or out of car with his CHF.  So that will be done sometime this weekend or first of next week. 

We had a last minute change of plans for dinner.  Everyone came to our house so I wouldn't have to  get DH up and down the steps at both our house and DD's house. Worked out great. Grandson and Granddaughter and her boyfriend came as well. So had a great time.

And now I have a wedding dress in the closet. Will be there till the wedding in March.  Granddaughter in Washington State will be here for the wedding in March and she will be staying with us. I am so glad we will get to spend some time with her. 

DD said she is staying here with grandson till house is sold. So SIL will be leaving to go to NC without them. The company will put him in a hotel till they can get a new house. DD and grandson will leave after they get the house sold. 

Now to get ready for Christmas. Will be trying to get the tree up soon. Usually do that around the first weekend in Dec. But only going to put up tree and a wreath on door and not do all the other decorating that we usually do.  I feel that I should do it anyway. but with DH and taking care of him and so much to get done around the house, I think the tree will be enough this year. Hopefully next year, DH will be off the walker and able to do things again. Just got to get those sea legs working. :pray: that he will be able to walk again with some balance. He is missing cooking collards for market and his garden. He needs something constructive to do to keep him busy.  Just watching TV all day will not cut it. But right now that is about all he can do. Though he has helped with a little cooking when he feels like it. He had his walker right there and just leaned against the counter to do the shrimp. He got tired but he was able to devein 2 lbs. of shrimp. I am thinking of a stool tall enough that he can sit at kitchen counter when he wants to help me with cooking, so he won't have to stand to long. 

Happy Thanksgiving and a Very Merry Christmas is now around the corner.  4 weeks and counting.

• Like 4

I think it's a good idea putting the ramp in the garage. Will keep you both out of the weather if it's raining or snowing. Especially if he needs to rest between the car and the house. I'd put a chair of some sort out there in case he needs to sit a spell. I have some rocking lawn chairs and son and I used to sit out in the garage all the time. I even had a fan out there and a little folding table to set a drink on. It was very pleasant. 

Plus it won't advertise that a disabled person lives there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The old fashioned way to clean problematic areas without a bottle brush is to use rice.  Add soap, water, and a small amount dry rice then shake, shake, shake until it is clean.  

I cooked too much and we had a nice Thanksgiving lunch.  Leftovers for dinner and then we put the tree up and decorated it.  I'll finish the rest of the winter decorations today.  The isolation is wearing on DD17 and she got into it with everyone.  Yea, teenagers.  This too shall pass.  DD12 asked me, 'are holidays always this stressful?'  I said yes.   My favorite holiday is groundhog day.  There is a giant, fluffy rat, and  I don't have to do anything.   Also,  no one notices anything I do or don't do and rarely does family feel the need to be super dramatic and show their @$$.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad that Thanksgiving was pretty good for you all!

Will walk first and then dog chores.
Decorate front porch for Christmas..
Wrap the thrift shop gifts.
Write those Christmas cards.
Call my step mom and my brother.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Mt. Rider, so sorry to hear about a death in family.  I know that makes it much harder when it is at Thanksgiving or any other holiday.  It's hard on family at any time but to have that happen during a holiday just makes it that much harder.  DH"s father pasted away on Christmas Eve. Very hard times in dead. And Corvid does not help it any.

Grandpa died on Christmas Day one year.  My job was to rush to Mom's filing cabinet and see if Grandpa ever signed the documentation stating that Grandma's dementia was bad enough that she shouldn't be on her own.

• Sad 5
5 hours ago, Daylily said:

Was she able to live on her own?

One of my grandpas died on Christmas day too.

No.  Her dementia was too bad.  One of the times when we was going to the hospital, they had to call OnStar to figure out where she was - 2 hours in the wrong direction.

• Sad 5
12 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

The old fashioned way to clean problematic areas without a bottle brush is to use rice.  Add soap, water, and a small amount dry rice then shake, shake, shake until it is clean.  

Oh yeah....I remember that now.  :)    ..... however I'm not sure my mom has anything ...rice or other...that I could have used.  She said she'd twist a small rag down there.  I did that with wet paper towel and spent time trying to get THAT out!  Finally cut a straw small enough length-wise and pushed the soggy glob out....then gave up the project.  :rolleyes: 

Today I'm :faint3: Not doing much!  Periodically notice hand tremors.  Ah....so I start over resting til THOSE go away.  But...it was a nice time yesterday.  My dad's in a good mood when he's eating.  Skinny as a war refugee tho...  :shrug: 

I've done a couple quick cleaning projects.  Never get anything done if I wait till I can do big, all-encompassing projects!  :grinning-smiley-044:  

Hi  Dogmom!  Have seen her flitting about here today.  Stop and say how it's going for you and yours!!   And teaching!   :hug3: 

Who else has been scarce lately......Kappy....? ........?    [someone fill in the blanks...my brain is vacationing somewhere]

MtRider    :pc_coffee:   and   :reading:   ....a tiny bit of :dishes:  :dusting: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

DD and SIL came over this afternoon. Left overs for lunch.  And left overs for dinner. Going to make something with the rest of the left over turkey but not sure what yet. Will work on that tomorrow.  

Our friend came over today with a template for the ramp.  I gave him that old office chair that had been sitting in garage in my way forever. DH wanted to keep it when we got a new chair for office. Never used the one in garage. Gone now. Our friend was glad to have it. His broke. 

I have been cleaning up in garage both yesterday and today. Trying to get things out of way for the ramp and be able to move car up toward front of garage another 2 feet. That would make it easier for me to get in and out of car and for DH to come off ramp and walk across to passenger side of car. Still got some things I need to go through. Now is a good time to start pitching out the junk that DH has accumulated in there. And to get his mess that he needs to keep put away where it belongs. Garden stuff needs to go into the garden shed. Don't know why he has some of it scattered around in garage. 

I am really getting tired now. Didn't sleep good last night and was up early to get the garage cleaned out.  At least it is cool outside now. This rain we have had is making my hands and neck hurt. Hoping the rain has passed. Rained again last night but has been clearer today. 

Tomorrow while friend works on ramp, I am going to do that dreaded dusting and cleaning in house. It's that time again. So I will be :dusting: :dishes: and that is enough to keep me busy. Then I am going to sit down relax and read a book.  

• Like 2

I've been missing Kappy and Ambergris. I'm going to post a new thread with their name in the title so maybe they will see it. Anyone else's name we can add? 

I've been getting plenty of sleep. Problem is it's the wrong hours of the day. I sleep all day and up all night. During 'normal' times that isn't much of a problem. Now with so much stuff going on, I don't want to light up the house and start cleaning and organizing stuff in the middle of AM/PM.  Maybe I should buy some cheap heavier curtains for the living room and dining room. Living room has a big bay window so a blind wouldn't work. You can see too much inside my house just walking by. Especially if the lights are on.

Also, because of crazy sleep patterns, I'm unable to go shopping like I used to. I need Jell-o, milk, fresh fruit and veggies. I'm craving those little cutie oranges too. And I want to check out the vitamin section. And some prepper food I've had in Wal-Mart and Amazon cart for a week. I want to see if I can go pick some of it up at the store instead of having it shipped so I can check dates and make sure the boxes aren't smashed. I want to get my oil changed, get a hair cut and get a towing hitch put on the Jeep. I can't do any of those things with my crazy sleep patterns. Might be time to break out the Ambien for a couple of nights.

Speaking of which, I'm WAAAY over due for a doctor appointment. I have enough meds but if I don't go soon they are going to know I have a stash. My regular doctor retired so now I'll have to see someone new over there. With my old NP I could zoom in and out. I'm not in the mood for a meet and greet with a new person. One who will no doubt talk about the importance of taking my meds on time, making appointments, my weight, my diet etc. There is a lot I could tell them (dizziness and balance issues) but I don't want to go through all of the stuff they will want to put me through during Covid. I'm trying to stay home and not go from doctor office to doctor office. They never seem to believe what I tell them anyway. 

All of this because of my sleep pattern.  LOL.  Nothing earth shattering. I'm just venting to you guys. Venting here eliminates a trip to another new doctors office that starts with psy and ends in atrist.  Wouldn't they have a field day with me!.  

• Like 6

Jeepers, I don't post often, but try to read most days.  Do you ever have any real success with your dizziness problems?  It seems to run in my family, and none of us can really get any help treating it.  My brother even saw a chirop. that said she could cure him.  She could not, and told him to never let anyone do the spinning procedure on him ever again, ever.  Docs can tell if you are really dizzy by watching your eyes.  I think they dart back and forth when you REALLY get dizzy.  I take meclazine almost daily, helps some but not much.

• Like 5

Virginia, nothing I've tried helps much. Its mostly when I stand up. But it happens out of the blue too. I get pass out dizzy. Many times I have to sit down on the floor quickly before I do pass out. It lasts a minute or two and then I'm fine. I'm on blood pressure meds but my B.P. is very erratic. I just get up slower. I'm pretty sure, for me, it's P.O.T.S. I have a lot of the symptoms. My heart was tested a long time ago and I do have tachycardia. 

I mentioned it to my doctor once. I was sitting on the table at the time.  She had me hop down in the normal way. I was having a good day and barely felt dizzy. She then said it wasn't P.O.T.S. Well, it doesn't happen every time! Sigh. so I just didn't persist. 

Hopefully when I get a new doctor, when I move, I can get some better answers. Good luck on your search too!  :hug3:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16560-postural-orthostatic-tachycardia-syndrome-pots

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good morning!
Went to Walmart at 7 this morning. There were a few "outs" today. Still not too bad

Came home and DH went to thrift shops.
His friend has been staying with us again due to lots of drama on the girlfriend's part. He's been very stressed and had me call an ambulance a little while ago. He has a history of heart problems and surgeries. They say he is checking out ok right now but, of course, took him anyway.

I don't think I have anything else that I will do today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Sorry to hear about the friends troubles. Hope it is not too serious. Maybe just stress or panic related? :pray:

I ordered a couple of things online today. Wal-Mart said the containers would be ready for pick up on Monday. I got the email that they are ready now. Then I ordered a couple of things from Amazon this morning and they are already here! :o 

How did they do that? Drones?  :shrug:

• Like 4

Miki.  Sorry to hear about your DH's friend.  Hopefully he will get through it.  Times have been hard on everyone this year and I am afraid it is going to get worse with a Biden presidency.  One of the Lady's from Sunday school called and she said that the fraudulent voting system is what happened in Venezuela with that take over. I am afraid we will be just like Venezuela if this mess keeps up.. I need to really study what happened there and how they dealt with it. I think we could learn a lot from them. 

I was going to clean bedroom today and dust but DH decided he didn't want to get out of bed. So he is watching TV in Bed and had both breakfast and Lunch in bed. He does that sometimes, but today was not the day I wanted him to stay in there. So I went to garage to clean up and put things away. Got a lot done but still a lot to go thorough and decide to keep or ditch. DH needs to be out there making decisions since most of the mess is his. Garden stuff everywhere. So getting that together to go to garden shed.  

Haven't heard from our friend that is putting in ramp today. He was over last night to take measurements and to see about the grate on it. I think he might be just getting it all together. To come over to put in. 

I have more cleaning items in the garage on shelf than I thought. So I am good on everything. Don't think I will be needing to go to a store for a long time other than for bread which I could make, eggs and milk. And fresh veggies and fruit. Other than that, I am not going to any store except for those things and our prescriptions. Need to get what I have already used up. 

• Like 4

FYI - MiGardener has garden seeds available once again. I'm starting early  because they will probably disappear as fast as TP and canning lids.  :0327:  I was sad to see that he's doubled his prices this year, but it's not unexpected. The packets are now $2.00 each which is a fraction of Burpee, Parks, Jungs, etc. The seeds are all heirloom and he is generous with the seeds. I think he just celebrated 10 years in business. A great guy who knows how to market his projects. He's also great at gardening. You can find hundreds of his vids on YouTube, too.

His website is Migardener.com. And yes, he lives in Michigan. Cute name to his website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 11/27/2020 at 4:07 PM, TheCG said:

No.  Her dementia was too bad.  One of the times when we was going to the hospital, they had to call OnStar to figure out where she was - 2 hours in the wrong direction.

That's too bad. Dementia is such a sad thing. My Mom's sister has it.

• Sad 4
On 11/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Someone DH works with is now quarantined ....  Get this:  The boyfriend of a roommate is positive.  Or rather....has "tested positive".  Has symptoms tho.  So that puts three people from the restaurant in quarantine until they can be tested. 

:amen:   Thanks for prayers.  All four of the roommates have tested negative.  [not that pos/neg is a sure thing...]  But a clarification has it that #4 was not positive to start with.....but had been around someone [ #5...not a roommate ] who tested positive.  So that places the "positive" person one degree further away from the restaurant.  :amen:  

DH works tomorrow breakfast/lunch and then has time off again.  Suits him fine.  He's covering for someone away for Thanksgiving.  It will be a while before he's on the schedule again.  'Course CO is participating in the COVID surge...  :sigh:   So the restaurant might close down for in-house dining again.  :shrug:   Either way, we'll be fine.  

:whistling:   ...maybe we won't even plow the driveway all winter.  Just bunker in and wait for spring. 

MtRider  ....don't think that works with my folks tho... 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Daylily said:

That's too bad. Dementia is such a sad thing. My Mom's sister has it.

Well, the good news is, after going through that with Grandma, I now have guilt-free permission to stick Mom in a nursing home if she gets that bad. :engel-smilies-10-1:

Here's hoping she doesn't!

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 5

One of my grandmas had a bit of dementia and my parents eventually put her in a nursing home. She was happy there. She told everybody that visited her that Daddy owned it and she was in charge of the kitchen. All the staff went right along with her. :) But Daddy made me promise to put him in a nursing home if he became unable to take care of himself. It didn't come to that because he died at 75 from sepsis after surgery for blocked bowel.

Hope your mom will be ok too!

• Sad 3

I gave my son permission to put me I a nursing home if I developed dementia and become unmanageable. Guilt free! My grandma had dementia and was placed in a nursing home after my aunt's tried to take care of her at home. No one can do 24 hours a day especially when the person becomes violent and stays up all night and naps during the day. 

My grandma thought she had a wife who cleaned her house, cooked her meals and did her laundry. One of the aides had the same name as my mom so granny thought she was there all day too. 

One day I went in and she said she was waiting for my grandpa to hitch up the horse so they could go to the drive-in movie. We went along with what ever she said.

In her younger day, she dated a guy who became a motion picture movie star in the westerns. Her dad ran him off when she told him he had gotten fresh with her. His name was Ken Maynard. Just think, I could be living the life in Beverly Hills...swimmin' pools, movie stars.

I just wish nursing homes did a better job of taking care of our sick and elderly. 

• Like 4

I intend to do a video this morning. Cut up cheese for the pups and make a turkey pot pie with leftover Thanksgiving.

They admitted DH's friend to hospital yesterday.

We have our friend's 125 pound pit bull for the duration. He seems very happy to be here with all the homemade food, treats and love!

My new chest freezer is in the State now, so hoping it will arrive on target, Tuesday!

Hospital just called and DH is on his way to retrieve his friend!

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Homesteader said:

FYI - MiGardener has garden seeds available once again. I'm starting early  because they will probably disappear as fast as TP and canning lids.  :0327:  I was sad to see that he's doubled his prices this year, but it's not unexpected. The packets are now $2.00 each which is a fraction of Burpee, Parks, Jungs, etc.

I submitted my order yesterday. There is NO SHIPPING CHARGES on my order. That's a big difference from last year. I guess the $2 per packet is much easier for my credit card to accept.   :hapydancsmil:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1