MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

DH and I shoveled up more snow-pack "tiles" from the driveway near the house.  Removed enough to pull my truck forward to park on dirt in the sunshine.   The other side has no sunshine with all the trees.   'Course DH tried to start the truck and battery was too low.  [ see $$ in our future for that ]  So we pulled up the car to jump it.....and sprayed that stuff in carburetor to help it start....and then I sat in the truck with foot slightly on gas to keep it going till it warmed up.  :rolleyes:  Old Ford Trucks!  In AUGUST they want to be warmed up for 10 minutes!  

We loaded the sled over and over with those "snow tiles" and dumped them over the hillside next to the house.  Get it out of the way.  They are not even beginning to melt.....but actually, it's easy to handle the snow in this odd form.  60* on thermometer in the sun....and this snow won't melt.  :shrug:   Colorado high country!

HOWEVER...sunshine had a dramatic affect on the more sunny areas today.  The steep downhill part of the driveway gets hours of afternoon sun.  Then a thin layer of snow melts on top of the rest of the snow......I call it "greasy".  I took the dog down for a short walk this evening ...while that greasy condition was still there.  DID NOT EVEN THINK OF THAT when I sent the car down over the top lip of the driveway at usual speed [not actually fast but not creeping].  WWHOOOOOEEEEEE!  :blink:  Fortunate I have automated reflexes!  I was counter-steering one way and then the other while the car fishtailed back and forth.  I snapped down a couple gears too.  Not that the wheels needed to turn at all....just skiing at every increasing speed down hill. 

....ahem, there is a very dramatic drop-off on one side of driveway and merely the steep uphill grade of the carved out hillside on the other side.  Obviously, I'd prefer to smack the hillside to careening toward the cliff side.  Finally it straightened out ... the sun had done a lot more melting down to gravel further down the driveway.   Aiiiyiyi!  First "greasy" episode of the season...caught me totally by surprise.  Normally,  if you have to be on it late after a sunny day, you'd gear way down and creep over the ledge.  And frankly, I'd put my seat belt on!

Going back up was not a problem cuz it had time to chill up and lose that greasy affect....  And I was in lowest gear and ready for it....JIC. 

MtRider  ....really?  Do I always have to have some ODD or HAIR-RAISING event all the time?  Sheeeesh! :offtobed: 

• Like 5

Don't know why there is a quote box.  Anyway, every time I think I have challenges, you pipe up @Mt_Rider, and I realize I am pretty normal.  LOL  I think your life gives your heart a better workout than mine, though!  I hope you have a good and restful day, today!

Electrician fellow should be here late morning to finish work, hook up lights and freezer.  At least I will know then if it works!

Shortly after that, I will go to Verizon office for them to change info from old phone to new one.  

Probably come home and put stuff in new freezer.

• Like 5

Okay Ms. Miki.  What is Frickin' Chickin? 

Mt. Rider. I had a similar experience already this winter too. Barely rolling down a, not so very steep, driveway and sliding toward a busy street. Not much you can do especially with a short amount of road and the brakes are useless. I put it in a snow bank and rocked it out. Hopefully we got it out of our system for the rest of the winter. Uh-huh. Sure. 

I'm headed out to Wal-Mart to pick up an order. One last toy for 'you-know-who' and then I'm done...again. Sam's Club is right next door so I'll stop in there. I'm not sure what for but I know I'll find some sort of prep food. I need more Vit.C so will get some of that for sure. And beef stew. I'll check out the T.P. when I get there. And more of those biscotti sticks in a tub. Those things are good. 

I wish I could post a video from an email. My son made a monkey bar set for the short one from PVC pipes. Then he attached a PVC  *pole to slide down, fireman style, at the other end. It's in their living room! LOL. Grandson is having a ball on that contraption. It really is awesome. Last summer son made a water sprinkler thing from copper pipes that you can run through. Then he connected a hot water add-on to the outside faucet so they could have warm water outside. Sigh. Can you tell g'sons's daddy is a plumber?  :24:

*We call it a stripper pole.  Hope we can keep the DIL off of it.  :008Laughing:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I. Scored. Big. Today. 

First I went to the mail box and My $150.00 Wal-Mart gift card from my bank was in there. It was from the rewards I'd saved up. Oh joy. 

Went to Sam's first. I got so exhausted pushing that heavy cart around. The pharmacy was empty so I took a seat and rested for about 10 minutes. When I went to check out (I went to the self scan because they are faster and no one was in line) a clerk came over to help me. She was so sweet. She lifted everything and put it in the other cart while I used the hand held scanner. She offered to call for help for me getting stuff loaded in the car. I was fine because it I felt faint I could sit in the car for a spell. 

I got one Vit. C and I got two bottles of Women's One -A- Day. I've decided to start taking a multiple vitamin so I don't over dose myself. I forgot I already had some Woman's Centrum. I got the usual beef stew and chili with beans. Also two more cases (8 pack) of corn, peas and green beans. Got two cases of canned mushrooms. I didn't have any.  Got some more Slim Jim's and another canister thing of biscotti. If you've never tried them, they are good. Individual wrapped almond biscotti topped with chocolate. They are hard and good for dunking. Some oats and 18 protein drinks and 12 mocha frappuccinos and I was done. Oh and 25 pounds of rice. I would have liked to have looked around some more but I was on my last leg. Wasn't even sure I could make it out of there upright. I must have looked really bad because along with the clerk, two different customers asked me if I needed any help finding anything. :D

I did notice the shelves were very well stocked. All kinds of cleaning stuff etc. The only thing I noted was there was no more big bales of T. P. Only boxes of Pom T.P. I didn't see any paper towels. There was plenty of rice, sugar, flour and spices. They had small chest freezers. They were 5.0 cubic feet (or something like that) for $169.00. Not bad considering what all is going on right now.

I loaded the car and drove over to Wal-Mart. I sat in the car and rested a few minutes before I went in. I knew it would be a short trip. At least compared to Sam's. I picked up a couple of little things and got the online toy I ordered. The aisles were packed with skids of merchandise waiting to be unloaded and shelved. I was headed out and then it happened. Oh lawsy...

I saw it. Sitting there in all its glory. I think it even smiled at me. Not sure though.  I've been looking online and pricing them for months. On sale for $199.99. My gray toned KitchenAid stand mixer. And I had a $150.00 gift card burning a hole in my purse. They had one left. I hossed that beauty in my cart so fast. I think I stood a little straighter going back to the check out lane. I don't even know what size it is. Don't care. I'll work with it. I think it was marked down because the box was messed up a little bit. Not a pretty gift presentation I suppose. I'll pitch the box anyway.  It's finally mine. 

I swung by the drug store and got a salad and came home. They make the best salads. Odd. Oh, at the drug store check out they had pepper spray with UV marking dye that shoots up to 10 feet away. Buy one get one free. They were $10.00 each but with the BOGO I got them both for $10.00. One for the car and one for the purse. 

All in all, the stores shelves were very well stocked except for paper goods. I

I'll be sore in the morning. 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Okay Ms. Miki.  What is Frickin' Chickin? 

I got it off my facebook canning group---S.N.U.G.  I'll see if I can figure out how to link it later.  And it is good!!!  Two didn't seal.  Darn!

Sounds like you had a good day, Jeepers!  I love days like that!

Went to Verizon this morning and got my new phone transferred over. Took awhile but I had my kindle, so I was good.

Freezer is cooling and lights are up. I will work on organizing freezer tomorrow.
Still haven't walked. This is getting out of control! Tomorrow is the day!

• Like 6

Washed clothes today.  And did some picking up and dumping stuff for trash day tomorrow. Got my early Christmas present hooked up that GD2 sent us. Now we can see each other and chat.  She got us that Amazon Alexa. Though I am not a fan of them, it was so nice to be able to see them. They live in Washington state. So we don't get to see them much.  Also talked with daughter on it as well.  She sold her house the day it went up for sale. So they are heading to NC. to look for a house this weekend. Hate for them to have to move, you have to go where the jobs send you. Though I think from what she said she will loose her job in the move.  She is going to try to transfer to the Smithfield foods where she is moving to. Will see what happens. 

Jeepers you did very well with your shopping trip. Glad you got home to rest up ok.  You did good on the pepper spray and the mixer. I love mine. Had it a long time. DH got it for me for a Christmas present years ago.  I have some bear pepper spray in my car. Want to get some more of it or at least one more if I can find it again. We have had some bear sites around here as they keep chopping down the forest to build more houses and appts that we don't need. 

Hope everyone is doing well.  I have been a bit under the weather.  No fever, but due to my thyroid being way off and it has not been taken care of as of yet. My temps keeps going up and down.  96.2, then will go up to 98.4. It is trying to calm down now at 97.3 which is usually where it stays. Just got to get the synthroid regulated again. Though it also is making me a bit tired. 

DH wanted fish for dinner tonight. So got that cooked up and had an early dinner. Going to try to get him to bed early. Got him there once so hoping he will go to bed early tonight. 

Want to get up early tomorrow to go though all my first aid stuff and get it all organized.  

DH didn't want me to decorate the whole house this year. So I have the small tree up in living room and a wreath up on the front door. it's going to look strange around here this Christmas with me not decorating the whole house. But he got upset last Christmas when he wasn't able to help me do it. So I think that is why he didn't want me to do it this year. He really can't help me do anything this time around. Though he did chop up cabbage yesterday with a walker to hold on to just in case. The store bought coleslaw is just bad. We don't like it. So I make my own and he wanted some to go with fish tonight. I need to make a trip to Newport News to Greens Market for a few things that I am running out of. But that is way to far to go and leave him at home alone. Will have to figure something out. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

DD12 goes to school 2 days per week.  She missed the bus one day last week and I had to take her.  That is the only time I have been outside my house in about 4 weeks now.  I am not unhappy about that.  It is amazing how fast 'weird, anti-social, agoraphobe' can turn into 'poster child for what everyone should be doing.'   My therapist praised me for staying home with my new baby (televisit on google duo.)  Yea...that was a really hard change....not.  :laughkick:  Anyway its nice to know that I'm no longer crazy, just very safe.  :bounce:

I've been trying to catch up on the cleaning and get ready for the holidays.  I'm concerned I may finally run out of wrapping paper (haven't bought any in 3 years now) this year and need to get more. 

I'm trying to rotate inventory and use up things that need using.  The school keeps sending us food that the kids will not eat and insane amounts of applesauce.  I found a pancake recipe calling for applesauce that everyone RAVED over and it used up 8 containers because I made a quadruple batch and froze half of it for breakfasts later.  They didn't like what I did with the carrots, so I washed off the ginger seasoning from the leftovers and dumped them into a chicken soup--that went over just fine.  

I broke down and got some new kitchen stuff off Amazon.   I got a new bread maker.  I'm not sure if I like the way the controls work, but the test loaf I made came out fine. Biscuit cutter circle set in 12 sizes, hollow steel rolling pin, steel scraper/copper, and a flour sifter.  I cannot eat much bread, but the family loves it and I need to start making it again for them.  I've had my kitchen aid stand mixer since 2000.  20 years and it still works great.  I have almost all the attachments and use them regularly.  January I'm going to focus on making things homemade and using only things I have on hand.  

• Like 5

Going to run to town later. Found a meat grinder accessory kit for my kitchen aid for $25 on a facebook group. Also, need a few things from Kroger.

New phone works fine so I just ordered a case for it.

Will walk sometime today and then work on organizing freezers!

Since it will be 73 degrees today, I will harvest radishes to pickle another day.

I sure hope Kappy is ok!  I miss her posts!

• Like 4

I have given my KitchenAid, DH got me a couple years ago, a workout.  It came with the meat grinder kit, 2 cutting heads and sausage casing fillers.     Don’t use the small one if making burger or sausage, too fine-ground, but still edible. Lol.  It has the veggie/cheese slicers package and the bread/cake, etc mixers.  I did, however, get the flex edge beater, at WM, because the mixing beater misses the sides of the bowl.  I use it exclusively now, when making cakes and bread beginnings, before I use the dough hook.  It’s saved my arthritic hands, more times than I can count.  I have a wish list of accessories I would enjoy, like the pasta roller, the spiralizer, the veggie sheet cutter... etc.  No, I did not get rid of my manual meat grinder, JIC.  B)

One of the pups puked on Gunny’s big pillow/bed, 36 x 46 x 3”.  I’ve been procrastinating making another cover for the inside batting, but, it got soaked.  The case it came with, was a cheap, thin felt material, that had fallen apart and shredded, I kept shoving it all back in the outer cover, after washing, every week.  This time, I gave up and made a new pillow case for it, out of an old sheet.  Gunny was so dejected, last night, because his bed was gone and he had to sleep on the smaller one.  I wasn’t able to get it done yesterday, by dark, however, I finished this morning, and he’s a happy puppy again.  

Smoked & baked that 18 lb. turkey, then, removed the main bones on Monday, sliced and diced it Tuesday and got 16 lbs of meat, vacuum sealed into 26 packages and frozen. Sent out Christmas cards, paid bills, & balanced the books.  Mowed & edged the lawn yesterday, laundry, then, barbecued dinner.

I won’t be doing much outside because....  it actually really rained last night!!!  And, our new roof didn’t leak. :amen:  

Time to get back at it.... 

• Like 4

Euphrasyne, I'm very happy with my own company too. I'm not that person who needs to have people around me at all times. I do have to make sure I get out and about occasionally so I don't 'hermitize' myself. My family used to say we need to go out sometimes to get the stink blown off. We were a strange bunch though.  

What kind of bread maker did you get? I think that's the only major small appliance I don't have but would really like. I was going to use my *nectarines check (if we get one!) to go towards the mixer but then that deal came up and I couldn't pass it by. So, I figure if we get the check I'll buy a bread *macgine. I know zero about them. 

Miki, I don't have any attachments for the mixer. Dang, they are expensive. a cough book and pasta maker are top on my list...next year. I messaged Kappy and Ambergris from here but never heard back. Someone said they saw Amber on Facebook a while back. Don't know. I'm worried about Kappy but I don't have any personal contact information. Hope she and Mary are okay. 

:hapydancsmil:  For no leaking roof! 

:yuk:   For Gunny's leaked bed. 

*I typed "next stimulus check" and that's what Kindle came up with. Kindle auto correct is the absolute worst. I do not have an over abundance of fruit. 

* Meant machine. Why does Kindle change my correct words but not my spelling? The things I have to put up with. 

Oh, and why does it sometimes put an "l" at the end of a paragraph? I have to go through all of my typing to see if there is that "l" sitting there. Doesn't always happen. I see it with other people too. 

I see Kindle thinks I need a cough book and not a dough hook for the mixer too.

I hate you Kindle auto correct. I think it's just messing with me now.

Edited by Jeepers
Kindle Auto Correct...Again
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
On 12/9/2020 at 7:23 AM, snapshotmiki said:

Anyway, every time I think I have challenges, you pipe up @Mt_Rider, and I realize I am pretty normal.  LOL  I think your life gives your heart a better workout than mine, though!  I hope you have a good and restful day, today!

:lol:   Yeah, I've always suspected that my life is NOT normal!!!  :whistling:    Part of it is living in the big woods...  :behindsofa:  ...with livestock/poultry [formerly] .....and ya know GOATS are all hooligans and provide a never-ending stream of torture....  ;)   I think half of my stories have been about them.  The other half is about WEATHER!    :tapfoot:  

'Course my dad supplies some of the "stress and strenuous" now...and it's kind of a relief to know some of you KNOW the dementia story and the rest of you are kind/understanding.   Thank you all for that!  Cuz sometimes I'm :sassing:  dealing with that.

Today he told my mom that I said that my MO friend died.  My mom believed him before checking with me  [she's slipping too]  and told my brother.  Then had the sense to check with me.  NO......she didn't dieHOWEVER....if you would all seriously pray for her and maybe her dh.  Her last emails have been so brief and she is quite sick.  COVID  First I knew of it, they were on Day 10.  That was Dec 3.  I have emailed and even called.  No response.  :blink:   Finally today she emailed me and said she's "clear (?) but it's gone to her lungs.  Transient fever."   That's it.  I'm not even quite sure but I think she means she tested negative now but has side affects yet???  And no update on her dh who also had/has it.  I'm worried....she's the one who's had cancer and more surgeries and organ failures and joint replacements....  Pray please.  :pray:  We met in kindergarten!  

And of course our OLD log cabin provides a lot of stories....mice, snow, mice, mega- icicles, septic, flooding, bats, oven gone in the middle of early COVID so we fix ourselves....no pictures will be allowed for that episode!  ;)  

But now Miki......your current situation IS truly on the weird, stressful side.  Especially the day the 'she' in this equation showed up.  I assume you still have a wagging-tail boarder too?  Can't say I've done that one!  :hug3: 

And regarding walking .......I KNOW what you mean about a long held habit that gets interrupted and then....wait?  Why can't I get started again???  I've walked for years, thru 2 dog's lives, and this year.....with being ill and sprained foot and staying with my folks and .....  Wow, I can't get going regularly either.  Especially when now I'm struggling to regain the stamina/strength I formerly had.  I hear ya, girlfriend!   

AND I have not, as yet, restarted my daily Hawaiian lessons either.  :(:(  :(    I'm just trying to clear my living room first and .....  I can't get that one project done!  I'm tooo tired from all the other activities.  :0327:

Today DH and I cracked and shoveled more Ice Tiles off the top STEEP part of this driveway.  It's easier than chipping ice but still....we's OLD!  Tryin' not to have a joint heart attack out there!  But snow was forecasted and indeed, is already lightly beginning tonite.  Hopefully not much. 

Today I told both the new UPS driver and the FedEx [Chewy delivery!] gal that they are not to risk their jobs for this driveway.  "If it doesn't look good for your vehicle, honk your horn and shove the package into that old van down there.  Give it a thump to work the handle-push-button-thingie.......it sticks but it isn't locked.  I'll go down and fetch it."  Both were relieved to get that permission NOT to tackle this driveway on it's badddd days.  :shrug:  I always tell them that.   Told our old UPS driver not to walk the pkg up our HILL either.  ALSO arranged years ago with the propane guys:  "we put this old mailbox down here next to the tank.  Put the flag up and leave our bill in there.  No one drives a propane truck up this driveway anymore either!"  :grinning-smiley-044: 

Seeeee.....I'm TRYING not to have such an exciting life!  :buttercup: 

MtRider  ....we's were so tired after chipping that we got dog in car and took a ride before lugging selves up the steps!  :0327: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The bread maker I had before was a Breadman Ultimate and I also had a Breadman Corner Bakery, but the heating element finally went out.   The new one is a KBS Pro

Amazon.com: KBS Pro Stainless Steel Bread Machine, 2LB 17-in-1 Programmable XL Bread Maker with Fruit Nut Dispenser, Nonstick Ceramic Pan& Digital Touch Panel, 3 Loaf Sizes 3 Crust Colors, Reserve& Keep Warm Set: Kitchen & Dining

It was cheaper during the 'black friday' sales on Amazon.  I haven't used it enough times to recommend it yet, but it does seem to have a billion bells and whistles with lots of manipulatable rise times.  I just need to figure out how to change the different cycles.  When looking for a bread machine, you typically get what you pay for.  Things to take into consideration:

What size loaf it makes:  I need one that does at least 1 & 2 lb because I make a lot of both sizes.

Crust Color or manual bake time manipulation:  Do you need one that changes bake time?  I need to adjust the bake time.  A darker or lighter crust option will fix that if you cannot manually manipulate the actual bake time.

Shape and size of the machine:  I didn't care because I had a nice spot for it, but some people do.

Shape and size of the bread pan: some make taller loaves and some make shorter loaves.  I found that the taller loaf does not rise as well and I prefer a shorter, wider pan.  It makes a more square loaf of bread, but I'm ok with that.

Noise level: some people care, I don't.  The breadman was very loud, but he KBS seems quiet.  

Bread programs:  hit a button and have the cycle you need just start--ie, white, wheat, french, sourdough, dessert, fruit, etc.  I love this feature.  I use french a lot. 

Manual Program: ability to input specific cycle times.  KBS doesn't have it and it is usually a very expensive option.  If I could afford it, I'd get a zojirushi, but I can't so...

If you prefer to mix your own dough and just want to minimize things you have to clean and have less sticking issues, I recommend this (I got mine much cheaper and this price seems a bit high to me:

Amazon.com: Lekue Silicone Bread Maker, Model #, Brown: Bread Tubes: Kitchen & Dining

I have a Lekue.  I mix the dough in it, let it rise in it, then bake it in it.  One thing to wash and the bread DOES NOT stick.  ever.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm figuring out that I have a distinct lack of motivation when it comes to planning for next year.  I mean, it almost feels like why try to plan anything when it could all change on a dime?  And that's why I need to plan, so that I'm ready for it if it does happen, but it just feels so...intimidating, tryin to plan for that level of unknown.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

DD and I loved the lockdown in April! Nobody came to visit. We didn't go anywhere except DH and I went to the grocery store once. DH and DS were off work and we got lots of home stuff done and garden stuff too. Thankfully, we had money to live on and pay bills. I started feeling more stressed when the end date of the lockdown was getting closer. I actually wanted it to be extended and I know that's selfish. For that reason I really didn't tell very many people how I really felt about it. A friend from church called one day and said, "I feel guilty but we are really enjoying the lockdown!" There is truly nowhere I want to go more than I want to be at home.

• Like 4

If’n we didn’t have to be open, because we are considered “essential”, I don’t mind being alone.  I get so much done around the house.  However, every day has been a stress challenge.  P.O., grocery, & supply runs... no masks, children running around, into people, touching everything, coughing?  Really people, REALLY??!!?  Then... they whine and cry, ‘they can’t figure out how they got it... ‘.    :soapbox:

I made a huge “oops” at the post office one day.  I was at the counter, did my business, used their sanitizer, picked up my mail, the box, and their hand sanitizer bottle and walked towards the door... only then did I realized, it was their bottle....  the cashier, started laughing when I turned around and returned it, she said, “I was wondering what you were doing.”  Well!  Dang, it’s actually a habit, when dealing with our customers, otherwise, yup, the bottle walks out the door with the customer.... :icon19:  oops.

We have finally needed to unpack our winter clothes.  The humidity and crystal clear skies, dropped our temperatures.  Laundry is on my todo list today.  Need to check the tomatillos, I have never had so many on the plants.  :amen:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
10 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I assume you still have a wagging-tail boarder too?  Can't say I've done that one!  :hug3: 

Yes, we do and it is wearing on us.  Still haven't heard from fellow in jail who belongs to the dog.

As far as walking, I did walk yesterday and will today.  It was easier than I thought to get back into it.

Today, I will make radish pickles from the Daikon's I harvested.
And hopefully, make out the Christmas cards that I feel I must do. Mostly family.

It's not been an easy year, but when I think of people in other, less developed countries going through the same things we are, then I know we are truly blessed and I should not be complaining.

With our recent situations, I have been acting like I am a victim and that way of thinking has not helped my attitude!  So, changed it!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 4

Thanks Euphrasyne! Looks like I have some researching to do. For me, simpler will be better. :sEm_blush:

Daylily, I feel the same way. The lock down gave me an excuse to stay home more and not socialize. The only thing I miss is Wal-Mart not being open 24/7. I liked to do my shopping on off hours to avoid people. My patience is wearing thin with people not practicing social distancing in check out lines. In the last two weeks I've confronted two people who were in my space. Another one I could have but I was paying and not in the mood. You are sort of captive when checking out and some one is right next to you. I don't like people that close to me in 'normal' times. I think since this social distancing started, I've become more aware of my boundaries. That's a good thing though. 

I'm finding it more and more difficult to shop in a mask. I don't know how sales people do it all day. I get so hot with it on and breathing carbon dioxide doesn't help. I'm getting slower so it takes me longer to shop with that thing on. When I get hot I get more dizzy and nauseous. My glasses are always fogged up no matter how I adjust it. I've started pulling it down from my nose and then pulling it back up if someone is coming by. I just need some air. Next time I'm out I'm going to pick up a cloth mask to see if that's any better. Fortunately all of my major shopping is done for the year. Except I do want to go down to Amish country before the end of the year to the bulk food stores. One thing I want to pick up is dehydrated onions. I just don't want to do those in a closed up house. Especially when I can get them cheap down there.  

Mt. Rider, dementia is so hard to deal with. :hug3:.  Like having a two year old in an adult body. Only worse. 

My cousins brother is out of the hospital in Indianapolis and is in his home town in rehab. His knee surgery went well. Of course they said that the last time. Cousin said he was pretty difficult to deal with in Indy. Hopefully he will settle down now. He likes it there. He is 78 years old. He is in the same place where another of our cousin lives. Hopefully he can see her to sort of check up on her. She won't remember him but that's okay. Another cousin (yeah, I have a lot of them) was visiting her but with the lock down she can't even do that now.  It must be a pretty good place because my cousin, who lives there, daughter is married to the mayor of Indianapolis. 

BTW, my cousins brother is my cousin too. I have 30-3 cousins so it's sometimes confusing just saying 'my cousin'. 

I definitely have to do Christmas cards today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love reading about everyone's exciting life.  :0327: I'm afraid Jeepers wouldn't want me shopping around her. I don't get out enough and tie a mask to my car keys just to remember the mask. Then I don't wear it over my nose due to lung damage. Then I'm on top of others at checkout because I'm already into working on tomorrow's tasks in my head. I guess I don't follow directions very well. Since we're so isolated 24/7, I really don't care.  :rolleyes:

Mom went on Hospice today. Oxygen arrives this afternoon and her regular nurse next week to access her needs for appliances/supplies. It has been quite seamless and mom made the decision, not me.    :grinning-smiley-044:

I took mom to the doctor last week. I was ordered to remove my mask and wear one of theirs. I don't like those throwaway masks because I can't breath.   :0327:  Maybe it was the saying on the front of mine that bothered them??  "Keep America Great"   :24:   I actually thought it would be fun to faint in front of them, and say "I TOLD YOU SO". I can't breathe in them.  :hapydancsmil:

And no, I'm not taking the vaccine.    :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was at the Dr. getting tested for covid Homey and, like you, they asked me to remove my mask and wear one of their disposals.  I did but told her I wondered why.  She said there were too many coming in with masks you could tell hadn't been washed for ages.  It was easier, and they felt better, to have everyone switch to their disposable as to make someone angry telling them their mask didn't look clean.  Made sense.

• Like 2

Aw Homie, I'd go shopping with you any time. I wouldn't mind these people behind me if they were behind their buggy. But they were right beside me with no mask. Felt creepy. I keep my mask on the gear shift stick in the Jeep. Even with it there I still forget to put it on the first store I go in on an errand running day. Sometime I remember in the parking lot and sometimes I'm in a store and have to go back out to get one. Happens all the time. Usually if I see someone with a mask on it reminds me. Sigh.    :pray: for your mom. Best thing you did for her was to bring her to your house. I can only imagine the care she would have gotten there by now. Taking the vaccine is at the very bottom of my VERY long list too. I'll do everything I can to avoid it! I can't imagine a scenario where I'd take it but there probably is one. FEMA camp maybe. :shrug:

• Like 3

I don't get out that much either so I've got a 4 step plan for masks.  I decide if its high risk...I wear my N95  and hope no one notices/objects to the exhalation valve.  That way I CAN breathe.  I'm not strong when I inhale/exhale and masks are difficult for that reason.

Otherwise, I just use a paper surgical mask....which aren't too bad cuz they have inadvertent "air vents" on each side.  On my face, anyway. 

In case I forget, I just tuck a cloth Hawaiian one into my front jeans pocket...gift from DD2's store.  It's come in handy more than once....oops.  NOT much protection for me or others.....but then most don't have much protection from virus anyway.  :grinning-smiley-044:

One day DH and I "ran" in the hardware store to find light bulbs for the folks' fridge.  During my stay with my folks after her heart attack so.....not claiming a lot of brilliance for my weary self on that day.  Got all the way in before noticing masked faces.  Oh....um.....bandanna!  It's a multipurpose item that's always in my back pocket.  Part of the EDC 'uniform' I put on when going into town.  So I did the old West train bandit thing.  :lol:   And stayed back from folks.  I realllly don't want to catch this thing.  Quite contraindicated for my wheezy bronchials. 

MtRider  ...  :cheer:  for walking again, Miki.  I shoveled ice instead yesterday and today I watched snow.  :shrug:  

• Like 2

I literally keep a box of masks in my car because otherwise, I'll wear it into work or something and leave without it, or drop it on the ground, or...

I have some cute Christmas ones I need to break out for the next 2 weeks.

• Like 2

Good morning! I washed and sliced the radishes yesterday. Making the pickles today.
Got most of the Christmas cards made out and sent yesterday.
We are meeting our "friend's" landlord out at the rental he was in this afternoon. Not really looking forward to that. Landlord didn't want to go in alone. He knows we are not involved in any of the crap that has gone on.
Otherwise, hope to take it easy and watch a movie or two.

• Sad 1
On 12/11/2020 at 8:29 AM, Jeepers said:

I'm finding it more and more difficult to shop in a mask. I don't know how sales people do it all day. I get so hot with it on and breathing carbon dioxide doesn't help. I'm getting slower so it takes me longer to shop with that thing on. When I get hot I get more dizzy and nauseous. My glasses are always fogged up no matter how I adjust it. I've started pulling it down from my nose and then pulling it back up if someone is coming by. I just need some air. Next time I'm out I'm going to pick up a cloth mask to see if that's any better. Fortunately all of my major shopping is done for the year. Except I do want to go down to Amish country before the end of the year to the bulk food stores. One thing I want to pick up is dehydrated onions. I just don't want to do those in a closed up house. Especially when I can get them cheap down there.  

You don't HAVE to wear a mask if you have a medical condition that prevents it. I'd say you fit that description.

• Like 2