MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Daylilly's story reminded me of an event a year or so ago.  I received a nasty note, with pictures to "prove" their point, from the New Jersey Dept of Motor Vehicle or some such.  Claimed that:  "Seeee!  We have your license plate and your vehicle on our handy-dandy camera system and we looked you up and we caught you!" 

Had something similar happen. It was a red light violation. Received a ticket and a picture in the mail. Only problem was, I wasn't the one driving the car. (I think it was my DD) I notified them that what they sent wasn't a picture of me, and they dropped the charge.

• Like 5

I've been sick; not sure with what since I haven't left the house in months and no one but me is sick.  I have flu symptoms.  The baby is running fever, but we think that is teething as she has red cheeks and no other symptoms.  I'm going to continue to not leave the house.

Wed night I was cooking chicken in a pyrex dish.  I normally cook it at 350, but I turned it up to 400 so I could cook some biscuits.  I was also sick as a dog and half out of it.  I took the chicken out and added the room temperature sauce which I usually pour over the chicken BEFORE I start cooking it just so nothing happens.  BOOM!  glass all over my kitchen.   DH cleaned it up.   I don't think I'll ever live down exploding chicken for dinner.  :duck1:

• Sad 7

Hope you and your little one feel better soon, Euphrasyne!

Doing a video this morning and then visiting a friend today and tomorrow.
42 is the high today and 41 tomorrow. Wearing insulated jeans since I will be outside some.
I bet some of you up North would be in shorts in this weather! LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Had something similar happen. It was a red light violation. Received a ticket and a picture in the mail. Only problem was, I wasn't the one driving the car. (I think it was my DD) I notified them that what they sent wasn't a picture of me, and they dropped the charge.

In the UK, the ticket goes with the car. All moving violations are photographed by cameras. All roads cities are monitored by cameras. If you borrow your friend's car and get a ticket, you had better be a GOOD friend because your friend gets the ticket, points against his driving record, and has to apprear in court.  :0327:

• Sad 5
2 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

BOOM!  glass all over my kitchen

Newer Pyrex does that.  We have a thread somewhere, talking about how their quality control and material used in the dishes, has changed.

I was making a large Pyrex baking pan of chicken cheese green enchiladas for a company gathering, when we all heard a loud boom in the kitchen.  Shattered, spraying the contents all over the inside of the oven.  :groooansmileyf:What a mess.

I won’t bake in any new Pyrex ever again.  I do have a very old white Pyrex cake dish, I use very rarely and with trepidation.  Mostly I use it, now, for sprouting mung beans for stir fry.

• Like 5

To be precise, it was a 20+ year old anchor hocking baking dish.   I'm from the south and all clear glass kitchen gear is pyrex just like all soda is coke.  

I'd love to claim that it was poorly manufactured....but I defiantly put cold into hot and caused it to explode on top of my stove while I was pouring.  I heard it sizzle right before 'pop' and glass everywhere.  I actually had a fight with DH yesterday because I want another of the anchor hocking and not a pyrex--he was confused too b/c I always call it pyrex and, despite his protests, he is more east coat yankee than southern.  

I just checked and that was the dish I got from my first wedding in 2000  so it was 2 decades old, not 1! :blink:  Holy crap when did I get old enough to have (new) kitchen equipment that old.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 5

That's not old Euphrasyne, I have some glass cookware that is almost 6 decades old that I got new!!!!!! (and still using) Where do the years go????  :(

Come to think of it I have some of my grandmother's glass/crockery cookware too?  That I still use....   Hmmmmm.  

• Like 5

euphrasyne, it could just be the flu, but that in its self is bad enough. praying for you and the baby to start feeling much better soon. I do remember the days of teething. Not fun for you or the baby. 

Got a call today from home health. So now maybe I will get some much needed help.  Dh had a very bad night last night. He just could not get his breath and was very hard on him. If he so much as moved he would loose his breath. So I was up most of the night. I thought maybe things would settle down this morning but it lasted most of the day. Off again on again. So I checked one of his meds. Went to drugs.com and looked up all the side effects of this pill. One, he was only suppose to be on it for a short time. Doctors have not checked him for anything and he has been on this drug for months. The shortness of breath that I thought was coming from CHF and I am sure some of it is but wow, that medicine causes shortness of breath, skin to turn almost black and his arms look bad. I had put that on the Plavix that he will be coming off of next month. Now his leg is turning a blueish color. Also a contender of this pill. His skin is flaking like he has dandruff all over his body. another factor of both this pill and Plavix. It get's better. The side effects are really bad. I took him off of it for now. This is not the first time when I couldn't get hold of a doctor that I just went with my gut and pulled him off of a medication. Doctors when they found out what I did said I was right. Will talk to home health nurse about it also. Still need to get in touch with his heart surgeon that put him on it. Seems this medication causes your skin to just pill off to the point of if you touch him the wrong way he will just start bleeding. I have to pull him up to a sitting position. Get him up to use the porta potty and then pull him up so he can grab his walker and then get him cleaned up.  Then turn him to sit on bed and to lay down I have to lift his legs up on bed and get him back in it. This medicine also causes muscle weakness and that has been a steady decline. He is almost bed ridden because of this pill. His right leg and arm are very swollen which is from this medication. The side effects are really bad. So he will have full home health, therapy and hoping for help with rides to doctor. I still need to go to medical supply with the RX to get that wheel chair but would not leave him that long to go. So will just wait till home health is set up and then do it. 

Went to Food Lion this morning after getting Dh settled enough that I could leave for an hour. Picked up more than I thought I would. Wanted to get milk and things because of the bad weather they say we are going to get. It has been raining off and on for a few days and very cold. So much for global warming. Seems more like global cool down. But then Kerry has made millions if not billions on this phony global warming mess. Just another made up excuse to line politicians  pockets. 

Found some good deals on meat. So that is in fridge to separate into smaller portions for freezer that I need to empty out. But it was reduced and I got it. Round steak, boston butt steaks, swiss steak, and also some fresh tuna and salmon that was on sale. The beef and pork was half price. They had frozen veggies on sale but there was none to be found. Guess they sold out before I got there.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

GLAD to hear there is some progress with Home Health coming to your house, LittleSister!  A wheelchair will definitely improve things too.  Except doors that are not wide enough....but you've already made adaptions for the bathroom.  Our bathroom door is not even close to the current standard width.  Old log cabin.  :rolleyes: 

Euphrasyne....yeah, I think my oven explosion was part of the long-ago thread Annarchy remembers.  Mine was new Pyrex.....  :busted:   and yes, I did add HOT water to a baking dish of something.  "Hot" didn't cut it.  Was in oven ...less mess.  But part of me was also in the oven, reaching and pouring.  You must have had a royal mess on top of stove.  Were you hit by the glass?  ...and being sick too!  :(  

I got a much older/heavier 9x11 replacement for that shattered one. Pyrex.   And I found at thrift store what might be an "ancient" smaller version - 8x5?  Handy size for two of us.  It has a colored decal of a rooster crowing in front of the sun.  It says only 'Anchor' on it.  I've never seen one like it and it's heavy!  [ ever seen any like that, Mother?]  The chemical formulas for glass have changed but I forget what I learned about it ....way back when I had the shatter.  

MtRider   .... :pray: for sick and struggling folks.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

I WALKED DOG TODAY!  :balloons:   I walked almost every evening thru the lives of two dogs and now since last year....this is a big announcement????  :yar:  But I did it.....tho DH comes down with me - in case I have trouble.  We do drive car down to barnyard so we don't walk UP STEEP DRIVEWAY on the way back.  That's a risk.

THEN I got in my old truck and got it started, warmed up, and off for a drive around "the block".  Rural talk for about three miles...LOL.  Have to keep that running more regularly.  Esp in winter.  Glad I remembered cuz that wacko polar vortex is slipping down outta the north and going to cover most of CONUS.  Far West isn't in this but we got invited to the Polar Party this time.   Whooooooeeeeee  :frozen::frozen:  INDEED! 

I think the Hawaiian lessons are coming along better now.  Finally getting ole brain back into that mode.  Whew, it was a mighty struggle after 3 months off.  Staying with folks after my mom's heart attack.....took a lot outta me!!  Still gathering up the rest of my life to restart again....like walking.  But I'm happy about the progress.

MtRider  ....everyone be REALLY careful at the Polar Party!   :frozen:   :campfire:  

• Like 3

Luckily I was in the kitchen alone and wearing a heavy sweater.  It exploded outward and down, not upward, so I got hit in the chest and legs.  I was barefoot, so I just started to cuss and cry so DH came and cleaned it up.  Small scratch on my foot that isn't worth noting was the only damage.  He was still cleaning up glass in an arc 10ft away from the stove, so we threw out what was in the pot on the stove, the cats food in bowls, etc.  It crumbled into quarter and dime sized chunks mostly.  

• Sad 4
11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

It says only 'Anchor' on it.  I've never seen one like it and it's heavy!  [ ever seen any like that, Mother?

I haven't seen that in particular but often times using part of a current name means before the company merged or changed something. At least in the antique jars it does. :shrug:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I got a much older/heavier 9x11 replacement for that shattered one. Pyrex.   And I found at thrift store what might be an "ancient" smaller version - 8x5?  Handy size for two of us.  It has a colored decal of a rooster crowing in front of the sun.  It says only 'Anchor' on it.  I've never seen one like it and it's heavy!  [ ever seen any like that, Mother?]  The chemical formulas for glass have changed but I forget what I learned about it ....way back when I had the shatter.  

Perhaps from the company that's now Anchor-Hocking?

Yes, Annarchy/TheCG..... that's what I assumed too...that it's an EARLY Anchor [later to be Anchor-Hocking] product.  I looked it up just now:

https://www.anchorhocking.com/

=-=-=-=-=-quote=-=-=-=-=

IN A GLASS OF IT'S OWN

Named for the nearby Hocking River, the Hocking Glass Company was founded in 1905 in Lancaster, Ohio. After a merger with Anchor Cap Corporation in 1937, Hocking Glass became Anchor Hocking Corporation. Still manufacturing in Lancaster, OH for over 110 year. Anchor Hocking is proud of its humble roots and steady growth to become one of the largest US glass manufacturers.

=-=-=-=-=end quote =-=-=-=-

But what really caught my eye at the thrift store was the rooster/sun decal.  I've never seen clear glass bakeware with any decoration.    As for PYREX vs pyrex....that's interesting.  I did notice my current....heavier ...replacement 9x11 had the capital letters.  Thanks for that tip, Ambergris.  Kinda sneaky, of them ...dontcha think tho? 

And.....dog and I WALKED AGAIN TODAY.  :amen:   Before any 'weather' descended upon us.  :sigh:  Traditionally for the past decades, I've walked just before dark, year 'round.  Meaning it might be 4pm in winter and 8:30pm in summer.  But that hasn't worked for me in 2020/21 cuz I'm getting tooooo tired/weak/shaking by early evening.  So I'm trying to walk between 11am to 2pm.  .....in the same vein, I've moved my Hawaiian study up from 8pm to 4 or 5pm.....same reason.  Brain was NOT working later in the evening!!!!!  :grinning-smiley-044:   :buttercup:  

Euphrasyne.....wow!  It could have been soooo much worse!  I know the absolute SHOCK when mine exploded ...basically in my face but contained in oven.  I got a few small cuts.  Nothing in eyes.  And your whole crew could have been in the kitchen....aiiiiiieeeee!  :amen:  Yeah, good idea to throw out pet dishes too.  You'll probably be finding bits for a while tho.  ....and probably be hearing the story of Mom Exploded The Chicken for years to come.  :rolleyes:     

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was off to the local grocery stores at 7:30 AM this morning.
Got home in time for Church.
Came home and set up my vitamins, etc. for the next month.
Took eBay photos for DH.
Going to make Sausage gravy and biscuits for dinner.
Watch tv for a bit.

• Like 2

Saturday nite midnight .... -10*  :frozen:   Set thermostat a bit higher.....in case of power outage.  I hate/fear subzero.

Sunday morning 9am .... -12*  :frozen:   Did not remove window covering until later when sun came over the ridge. 

Sunday noon.... +10*   B)    Sun was out.  Not windy.  Told DH if he'd sweep the snow [not much] off the car, I'd walk the dog.  We did.  ....still figuring out a way to cover my cold nose without fogging sunglasses.  I haven't worn sunglasses for years except in particular circumstances.....like the world is bright, glittering WHITE!  

Sunday....3pm ....  +8*  :unsure:     .....it's all down hill from here, folks! 

MtRider  :frozen: 

• Like 2

Had to de-ice the central ac/ heating unit. Salted the back porch and stairs. We are too far South for snow! Usually.
Will do a video in a bit.
Make pudding and jello.
Cut up carrots for dog treats and cheese, too.

Try to stay warm everyone!

• Like 1

We are expecting some nasty weather over the next couple of days. Snow and cold. So, I headed for the store. I had planned to go one day this week anyway. I was kind of surprised that it was nearly empty of people. Usually the mention of nasty weather sends people running in a mad dash for bread, milk and beer. It was early afternoon though. Probably be buzzing tonight. I got some snacks and fresh fruit and veg etc. And six packs of my brussel sprouts! I'm still craving those little green devils. I forgot to get eggs. The shelves were about back to normal. Stove Top is back. Of course it is after I ordered it online a few weeks ago. They were out of the small bottles of Starbucks Frappuccino.  None at all. I don't drink it often but I like it as a treat once in awhile. The only thing I still can't get is vanilla coke. At least Burger King has it if I'm out and about. 

I was going to stop at the pharmacy and get my yearly report of what I spent on meds out of pocket for taxes but the line was too long. There were about.7 people waiting in line. I've never seen that before. One woman was sitting in a chair off to the side. I assume she was waiting to get a shot of some kind. Maybe that resulted in one pharmacist away from the counter keeping the line moving. I have plenty of time though. 

That's about all that's on my agenda for today. I'm tired now but at least I made it through the store without feeling like I was going to pass out. The store being smaller than Wal-Mart helps. Have store...will shop. My back and neck are on fire so when they settle down I'll get the rest of the groceries carried in. There is still some firewood in the Jeep too. Those bundles are mega heavy. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sunday 11 PM ..... MINUS 18*    :frozen:  :frozen:      

Monday morning  11 AM - 2PM ..... 40* [above]   ......but ONLY in the sun with no breeze blowing across all the snow.  Sun on the thermometer.  Eventually got up a sort of 50*   :lol:  Warm spot in the nation, eh? 

Monday  3PM .......20*   More realistic.

Monday 10PM ......10*  

I think the severe CHILL has passed tho we may make it a bit below zero yet tonite.  Depends on if we have clear sky  :frozen:  cuz that's COLDER.....or a warming blankie of clouds.  :cloud9:

My Minnesota friend near Twin Cities had MINUS 26* thru this morning.  They don't warm up well either.  :grinning-smiley-044:  DH says we're not living in MN again - ever!

MtRider  ....not up for dog walk today, despite the warm-up.  Did "porch laps" in sunshine tho. 

• Sad 2

I've been doing a lot in the kitchen.  I made a boneless leg of lamb for valentine's day and I turned the leftovers into lamb shawarma gyros for dinner last night.  One kid didn't like taziki sauce, but otherwise they were a winner.  I made a few grab and go breakfasts & lunches for DH for work this week.  Biscuits with gravy and scrambled eggs should put him in a good mood for at least 2 days.  Yesterday I had DD12 help me put up 3 quarts of apple butter.  I am out of pint jars, but we tend to eat the apple butter fast enough that a quart should be fine.  All the 'grape jelly & BBQ sauce' recipes do amazing with apple butter instead of grape.   It is also very good as a spread inside cake layers.

I think that when I spend more time in the kitchen, life isn't magically better, but somehow it blunts the bad and makes everything just a little bit easier and happier.  I don't want to make instagram food; I just want to bring a bit of joy to my family.  

• Like 4

Power has been out since around 3 am yesterday.  Luckily, we have a camper, a generator, and propane tanks.  Will need to get more propane today.  Maybe after this, hubby will decide to listen to me when I ask about refilling propane before a storm.  We could have 5, but instead, we only have 2 full and a partial on the grill.  They did last through the night, though.  If worst comes to worst, he can go trade some out at his work.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I think that when I spend more time in the kitchen, life isn't magically better, but somehow it blunts the bad and makes everything just a little bit easier and happier.  I don't want to make instagram food; I just want to bring a bit of joy to my family.  

That's a great attitude to have. :hug3:

TheCG I hope your power comes back on soon and that hubby learned a valuable prep lesson. Usually lessons learned the hard way are more lasting.  

I'm staying on the heating pad today. I got all the groceries and stuff from the Jeep carried in. I also got eight bundles of firewood stacked up on the hearth. My gosh they are so heavy. At least for me. They are still wrapped up but I'm going to leave them that way in case I don't burn them all I can move them to Indy easier if I want too. No fireplace there but there is a fire pit for hotdogs and marshmallows etc. I plan to move it though because it sits right by three huge pine trees. Son said it didn't look very safe. I agree.

Anyway, the wood is finally in. I also got the grain inside. It should be bug free by now. It sat out in the single digits and low teens for about two weeks. It was all I could do to get them in the house. I don't know how I'm going to get them out of the house and up in the Jeep. Maybe my step ladder will help. Move them up one step at a time...slowly at my own pace. Could work. Just thinking out loud. Just remembered I still have that 25 pound bag of rice in the back of the Jeep. Dang. 

I can barely walk because my muscles are so sore and my arms feel like they are about to fall off. At least I know why I hurt so bad and it will be better with heat and Advil. Sooner rather than later I hope. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1