MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On 5/5/2018 at 2:38 AM, kappydell said:

They must not teach nutrition in med school anymore (probably pre-empted by computer charting classes). 

It's never been a focus in med schools since the Rockefellers got involved in standardizing medicine.  Most doctors might have one class that's an hour a week for one semester that covers diseases related to nutritional deficiencies, like rickets and beri beri, but nothing on optimal nutrition.

I was reading something from a doctor who now focuses on nutrition - his son was hospitalized with complications from rickets (low low low vitamin D), and he had no clue that there was any problem!

As Chris Kresser likes to point out, "There's no definition of health in medical textbooks, the primary focus is on disease."

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 3

:amen:  :hapydancsmil::amen:    

My folks took themselves to Walmart yesterday.  Got started on resupply.  They didn't want to burden DH with getting EVERYthing they'd run out of.  They overshot their energy budget and suddenly my mom felt like she'd drop.  As she was recounting this to me, my response was....yeah, you know how that happens to me.  They managed tho.  :happy0203:

It's very odd, I have to tell ya.  That I had reached this stage of life nearly 30 yrs BEFORE my parents.....and I give them advice.  :scratchhead:  But ....that's what we have.  I reminded her that they will need to establish a New Normal.....like how to work while attached to the O2 devices.  How to judge how much energy-time you have.  How to arrange things in the truck with room for the O2 stuff, etc.  AND once they figure out and get those things into habit.....the New Normal will be fine.  A bit less than before.  A bit more tedious ...making more adaptions.  Certainly it's a trial/error in learning how much they can do each trip out.   But as long as they don't medically add something else, they'll be fine.  :pray:

Told her AGAIN that they each need to get a :shopping:  to lean on AND put their O2 devices in the basket.  Bring plastic bags to lay into that upper part where they put kids [in diapers] into....for sanitary considerations.  My mom's back was really hurting when they got back.  She just needs to be able to sit down for a short time and then she's better.  Now....even more.  So they'll go back in a few days and get more stuff restocked.  

HUGE step forward to regain their independence again.  My dad was ok driving. 

DH and Koa just went fishing.  I woke at 6:30 and had to sit the bed up much higher.  Thot the Hawaii lava was crawling up my throat.  :scratchhead:  It's been doing that.  I ate a bit of bread and went back to sleep till 11am.  Still trying to wake up and be functional.  :wacko:    Later....we MIGHT go in to Walmart for some things I have to pick out myself.  Might.  :shrug:   Each day is a cipher.  :scratchhead:  

MtRider    :pc_coffee: 

Edited by Mt_Rider

Sounds like acid reflux. I've had that a couple of times. I jolted upright gasping from a sound sleep with my throat on fire, while swallowing rapidly to keep from throwing up. I went back to sleep elevated by my pillows and had no more problem. It doesn't happen very often, thankfully. But it sure does burn.

Glad your folks are getting some of their independence back!

• Like 1

Woo-Hoo. I got the tractor going! It wasn't pretty but I got it. The Black and Decker 300A Jumper thingy worked great. It was around $40.00 - $45.00 dollars and worth it. It will jump a car too supposedly. It was hard for me because the only way it would start was with the clamps on. It would stay running after I turned off the jumper thing but I could barely reach over the steering wheel to unclamp them. If I raised up off of the seat, even in neutral, the mower would die. Plus, I'm afraid of sparks flying. And those clamps are very hard to open. I had to use 2 hands. I finally got it and then had to wrestle with getting the 'hood' down because of the seat issue. I was so proud of myself until I couldn't figure out what to do with the jumper thingy I had in my hand. I couldn't lean far enough over the side to set it down without lifting my fat (ahem) up off of the seat killing the mower. I finally gave it a toss and hoped for the best. I wasn't going to chance the mower dying and having to repeat the process with the clamps.

I got a couple of rows mowed and the neighbor guy (the nasty one) came out to check the mail. It was 10:30 am. Our mail doesn't come until after noon. I'll be darned if he didn't bring a lawn chair out to his driveway and sit there facing me and watched me mow. I never once acknowledged that I knew he was there. I don't know why he doesn't work any more. He is close to 60 though. I'm really good at ignoring! But my yard is very bumpy. And I'm very bouncy. Get my drift? I'm sure the creep got a good show. Not a darn thing I could do about it either. When I got to the other side of the house he went in. Someone needs a good smacking. I swear, if he does that all summer I will tell his wife to tell her husband to stop ogling me while I'm bouncing around my yard mowing while she is at work.

Fool must think I'm purdy.  :sassing:

I love your colorful descriptions, Jeepers!    :24:

My hubby disconnected the seat shut-off mechanism on our new tractor. He hated it more than I did. However, the blades keep turning when I get off the tractor so I always have to take care not to get my toes under the mower deck. I generally wear steel-tipped boots, but still try to remember where my toes are located.  :hapydancsmil:

Homesteader   :D

I'd disable mine if I knew how. If I raise up just a little bit out of the seat everything stops. I'm 5"-2' and keep sliding forward. Knees are practically on the 'dashboard' but short legs barely reach the pedal. Probably a good thing in my case I can't figure it out though. Know what I mean.... :whistling:

I found out the hard way I can't engage the blades when it's in reverse. Backfires. Loud. Dog barking neighborhood gawking loud. Sounded like a drive by.

By the way, my tractor is just a John Deere riding mower. I pretend big.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2018 at 3:03 PM, kappydell said:

.......but probably more for dying, as you can get green, yellow, brown and orange colors from it depending on the mordant you use.

I learned something new!  :cheer:  :P :hapydancsmil:

mordant (noun)a substance, typically an inorganic oxide, that combines with a dye or stain and thereby fixes it in a material.

That guy does sound like a jerk, Jeepers!  Another reason it will be good to move!

Got DH to VA and he had procedure done.  I drove 90 miles home on an hour and a half sleep.  Yikes!  Now we wait until Thursday for results and decisions and treatment plans.  Yay!  I am not doing anything else today!  Left at 7am and home at 4:30pm.

• Like 1

I didn't do much today, except try to keep M from getting heat stroke.  She just loves to work during the maximum heat and sun hours between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.  

She keeps saying "but it's gotta get done' although I think it could wait a day or until the shade comes back to the yard.  Today she spread gypsum, then fertilizer, then grass seed, then raked to cover it, the watered to help it stick down for the lawn.  Then she watered the garden, changed the dogs swimming pool water, and she STILL wont sit down and watch the Voice, although she says she loves it.  So I go and check on her often take her cool water, and offer sun block and hats (generally declined).  Good thing I know where the aloe is for when she gets sunburned;  I also give boffo back rubs (one of those unmarketable skills learned along the way).  Oh, she sprayed for ticks in the part of the yard we tend to sit in when we rest from outside labors, so our tick pick-up rate has declined dramatically.  We found some hum-dingers on the dogs though. 

Today a friend (our realtor) called us from Wisconsin to tell us that our old house hit the market and sold immediately.  She sent pictures.  The place is pretty, but it is sterile - he took all the personality out of it.  Oh well, hopefully the new owners will put 'their own stamp on it' as the DIY shows call it.  He tore out the garden, strawberry beds, raspberry bushes, the wild planted border, the 1050s brick barbecue, the clothesline posts, and all the rose bushes & lilies we had planted.  He even took down the flagpole in the front yard, and covered the cedar siding with vinyl siding.  That was the just the outside.  I am SOOOOO glad we have re-planted again, we brought some of those things along to use here.  I love my boondocks semi-hermitage.

Jack, the wild pup, is astonishing us - he is settling down more and more, plays as gently as his klutziness allows with the Chihuahua puppies, and only gets frantic when he has to go potty, he thinks he is missing out on some food, or when he wants us to come check out something he things is wrong (the cat is crying, etc).  

We cant really call him "hyper-doggie" if he keeps this new trend up.  He even lays calmly for hair-clipping and tick-inspections, which surprising, as none of the other dogs are as good about it.   

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I found out the hard way I can't engage the blades when it's in reverse. Backfires. Loud. Dog barking neighborhood gawking loud. Sounded like a drive by.

Jeepers - Some of the newer models have an extra position in the ignition switch to allow you to mow in reverse. On mine, I start it and then turn the key back one click. I'm usually in such a hurry at the Spring time, I forget and the tractor dies in reverse with the blades moving.  :hug3:

Mine could have that option. I think there are 4 positions for the key. Maybe 3. I know one way starts it and another way turns the lights on and off. I can't remember when I got it. I think this is the 4th. summer so it's fairly new. I should probably read the manual but I'm always just thankful when it starts. I don't want to mess anything up.

Praying for your DH's test results and a successful treatment plan Miki.  :pray: 

Neighbor is a jerk. We've had bad feelings for years. I had my lawyer send him and his son a threatening cease and desist letter to leave me alone or else I'd get an order of protection against them and sue them for harassment. That letter really did help. I always ignore him and won't make eye contact with any of them but he tries to stare me down. I think that makes him even madder. The 30+ year old son finally moved out so that helps a little. I really do think he has a strange obsession with me but I can't figure out what it is or why. Dude needs a hobby and it ain't me.

Jack sounds like he is becoming quite the little man.   :wub:   You and Mary are so lucky you have each other for roommates and best friends. I wish everyone had a friendship like that. I remember when you went to Gary and got her away from there. Seems like she's had a lot of changes in her life too. Good ones.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

OOPS!  :whistling: 

Your neighbor sounds....creepy!  :wacko:  

Vinegar is one mordant.....we used to "set" the color in Easter eggs but it can be used for cloth too.  In fact, long ago we'd 'set' the color with vinegar/water in new material before sewing something.  That was interesting, Kappy.  That one plant could produce different colors depending on the mordant.  I never heard that before.  A friend of mine has ....had sheep and she used the wool for weaving.  Fascinating...and she's invited me to come to MO for a week and play with wool, yarn, looms, spinning wheel, etc.  She now has 3 floor looms of different types.  [reminds me of Christy, talking of all the old looms in attics and storage rooms in Europe.]  I would dearly love to....but with all that's going on right now.....  :sassing: 

:pray:  for MrMiki!!!

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 1

Today is laundry day and go pick up a pizza day! I still need to make the peanut butter ice cream sauce and it is game day at Church this afternoon. Light day after yesterday's long drive and stress!

Thank you all for your prayers!

• Like 1

Preparing to go to Mom’s house. I am hoping to get there before rush hour.  Need to:  put some gardening tools in the car, pack Mom’s bean juice in an ice chest, finish putting a few more things in my suitcase, seal up a package for shipping, wash the car (it’s really dusty), feed & water the chickens and birds, pack the extra bottles of water & the BOB, double check everything to make sure I’m not forgetting anything. I think that’s it.  :scratchhead:

Phone, tablet and camera are charged. I have an auxiliary cable for my phone to stream music through the car radio, that lets me answer calls, in an emergency. Art project is packed with supplies, hopefully I will have time to work on it. Our CoC meeting is tomorrow morning and I am bringing the supplies to install the sprinkler system in Mom’s backyard. I still need to stop and pick up a few couplings, spikes, hoses, and grass seed (note to self). At least this time, I don’t need to run around paying bills before I leave. 

Time for me to get motivated...

I hope everyone has a beautiful day. 

Sounds like a busy few days, Annarchy!  Try to rest a bit too!

This morning, I have to put trash bags under the lick tubs for water retention.  Later make the PB topping and make a mango pie.  Another slow and easy day, I hope!

• Like 1

Drive safe, Annarchy.  :grouphug:

We had summer....yesterday.  It's overcast today so no danger.  Yesterday I drove my truck behind DH when he dropped car off at mechanic.  In late afternoon, I was driving in my truck back to drop DH off at his finished car.  This is CO mountain country.  We have a LOT of curves in the roads.  Around every single blind curve yesterday....there was an oncoming vehicle hugging waaaaay too far over center.  Gravel roads obviously have no painted center line.  Folks apparently can't divide by half...and hog the whole road.  Even on the blacktop road, they ignore the center double yellow lines.  Do I need to mention NARROW roads often with the creek embankment on one side and the granite wall of planet Earth on the other side of these curvy roads?  And idiots apparently not trained for driving them.... Where the most basically intelligent among us can figure out WHEN you cannot see oncoming cars and therefore WHERE your stinkin' vehicle should be to share that narrow road .....

:motz_6::fryingpan::motz_6: 

There was no collision but my nervous system was wrecked.  From the first time...and each time after...I LITERALLY JUMPED when I'd meet these vehicles.  EVEN THO I WAS LOOKING FOR THEM.   I don't drive often when there is so many folks on the road.  Leaping out at me from around every blind corner.....  :sassing:   AAAUUUGHH!!   I finally pulled off... onto a wide driveway entrance and told DH to drive.  I still had to drive back and along with getting overheated....I was bleeding away my energy way too fast. 

Yeah....I was wearing jeans and it was toooooo hot for that.  :knary:  Suddenly Summer.  The OTHER factor of MS.

I think DH was only tooo glad to take the wheel.  :buttercup:  He stopped to top off the truck with gas, since it doesn't get 'into town' often.  I grabbed the emergency pair of shorts from my bag and changed outta jeans in the gas station restroom.  That helped.  See....the old truck does not have A/C.  Windows down would be mostly cool enough if I was in shorts tho.  The trip home was much better.  This rural area is becoming a 'metropolis', from my perspective.  Hmph!

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

Edited by Mt_Rider

I can't do the multiple quote thing about the egg discussion but Saturday they were $5.00 at my grocery store (Giant Eagle) and today (Wednesday) they are $1.83 for a dozen large eggs at Wal-Mart.  :shrug:

Have a safe trip Annarchy!

Ugh Mt.Rider, we have a lot of narrow-ish curving roads in Indiana. Some are really sharp curves. A lot of them are country roads and people don't expect anyone else to be coming around the corner. Add to it corn fields and it can really be hazardous.

I sent a strongly worded email to the fence/lawn guy this afternoon.  I wasn't nasty but I was firm.  We'll see.

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes, Ladies. Travel went well, I guess. The entrance road to I-10 is being worked on, and they closed and detoured the east bound on ramp. It took an extra 1/2 hour to get on the highway. I think they are making an overpass and extending the 3 lanes further, because of all our dust storms that have caused so many accidents in that area. About time. The TX stretch was a frightening quick turn detours with angled roads, 3 lanes of 18 & 4 wheelers all trying to get around each other with absolutely no shoulders, just cement barriers. Watching the news revealed I just missed an accident. Thank God!

Mt_R, I had a vehicle come over a hill on the wrong side of the road. DH tried to make my little VW fly. We went over the cliff and landed on top of a tree. Poor tree died saving our lives. Crazy drivers. It doesn’t take much effort to leave a little early and slow down, to get to your destination. Skerry!!!

The car said the temperature was 103* when I got here. The news said they broke their record from the late 1800’s of 98 for this day. 

I stopped and got the extra supplies I needed and was on my way. Missed the bulk of rush hour traffic by 30 minutes. :amen:

Made a pit stop in Texas Canyon and snagged a couple pictures of the rocks there. I’ve really wanted to capture a few, maybe some other time, I’ll have the energy to get better pictures. It’s quite an unique place. 

Mom had meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas ready for dinner. I plugged in my FireStick and she got to watch the season finale of NCIS that aired yesterday. She had company come over just as the program started and she wasn’t able to watch it. She’s already given me a list of movies she wants to see while I am here. Lol. 

Time me to get some sleep. I’m one of the drivers for the CoC meeting tomorrow. 

4CC7DD25-A36E-4C18-A465-C9F52BAE44A7.jpeg

DE418B4B-9463-4FCA-87C5-55249B277FAC.jpeg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Annarchy said:

I plugged in my FireStick and she got to watch the season finale of NCIS that aired yesterday. She had company come over just as the program started and she wasn’t able to watch it. She’s already given me a list of movies she wants to see while I am here. Lol. 

I think you figured out what to get her for Mother's Day (if she'd be technologically capable enough).

• Like 2

Eye doctor appointment for me today.  The kids go in about a month.

Put in a bunch of job applications.  Nothing back yet.  I'll probably end up getting a job by my usual route, which is randomly bumping into somebody I know who needs something for _____.  I think that with the oilfield picking back up, there's a bit of a glut of office workers because the husbands come out for the good-paying oilfield jobs and some of the wives tag along.

I now have 2 of the ladies up at church trying to convince the church that they need a part-time office manager and that it should be me.  Even if I have a job when it comes to that point, they do need SOMEbody and should put it out there.

• Like 1