MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Ugh...it's 92 degrees here today.  :knary:

I've spent most of the day in front of the fan reading and snoozing. The fan blowing in my face makes me drowsy.

I'd like to have one of those blue raspberry slushies from McDonalds but I don't want to get dressed and go out there and get one. I need a sno cone machine. :D

I could very easily get a headache today so I'm just going to stay home and put a bottle mocha frappuccino in the freezer and settle.  :bev:

• Like 1

Jeepers, we throw ice cube in a blender, add the good stuff - fruit -  and blend.  Instant slushy.  P.S.  No headache!  I won't allow it.  :hug3:

Been doing odd little things today after putting the flag out.  Grandfather was in the navy during WWII Pearl Harbor.  Uncle was in the Army.  Brothers were in the Navy too.  Honoring them all.

Going to try to work on a painting....

• Like 2

I've had a busy couple of days.  Still have company.  Worked with my friend Saturday out in the country so I picked up a pizza on the way home for dinner.  Got home and made baked beans and cole slaw so I had less to do yesterday.  Sunday morning went to Sunday school and then headed for Lowe's to get my gallon of paint re-mixed for the bedroom. (I bought it last July).  Came home and cooked out.  This morning our company helped and we got the bedroom painted and everything moved back into room.  Then had to clean up painting equipment.  Only thing left to do today is to plant some flowers in hanging baskets that I bought Saturday and I'm done.  

• Like 1

We all are getting cabin fever, and Alfredo has not even made his presence known here!   In between bursts of rain, hurried "who has to go out" trips.  Playing in the house can be complicated...everybody likes to chase "Mr. Red Dot"  (the laser pointer) including the parrot!  And at the same time!  

Got a call today that the mobile home guy is going to come fix the crack on our living room ceiling tomorrow.  Hmmmm.  About time; glad it is inside work, storms are predicted for us tomorrow.  Hope the electricity stays on for his power tools.

Meanwhile, I have a thermos of hot coffee set up tonight and all the dishes in the dishwasher, getting clean, just in case power goes down.  I'll know right away, even if I am sleeping.  A little thing like the APAP shutting off tends to wake a person up.  Flashlights and all the rest of our stuff is ready, right down to the Aqutainers full of potable water.

Tonight I made a batch of paracord bracelets for my friend to take to the flea market to sell.  I made 2 color ones, with a colored line down the middle.  I saw black & blue ones on the internet as 'blue line' bracelets for police; so I made some of those, plus some red line ones for firemen (and Georgia Bulldogs fans, at the suggestion of one die hard football fan).    I enjoyed making them; so I ordered some of the fancy paracord that has fire tinder cord, fishing line, and cotton carpet thread inside along with the usual nylon strands.  One company makes one with wire in it, but is seems to me that would make a stiffer and uncomfortable bracelet.  But several feet of fishing line and fire tinder cord would be a nice thing to have 'just in case' and the bracelets take 1 foot of cord for each inch of wrist circumference, so there would be enough to rig a primitive fishing rig.  I already have buckles with a compass, a firesteel & striker and a whistle incorporated into the design.  I'll use those on the fire cord bracelets for gifts for my prepper friends. 

Hey, how come those so-called survival 'experts' on Naked & Afraid never make some cordage, whittle a couple gorge hooks, catch some bugs for bait,  and set out a trot line for fish instead of making fish traps that never seem to work.  They don't put them in the right place nor do they bait them, so of course nothing happens.  Sheesh.  I have the feeling that any one of us more experienced ladies would blow their PSR ratings off the charts!  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Back to the normal schedule today.

DH is continuing to improve but we have 2 Dr. appt's this week.  Hope they go well.

We finally got rain yesterday and probably today.  It is very needed!

It seems like all I have done for a week is cook.  DH's appetite has returned and he is very hungry..thank goodness. 

I am sorry to hear about Molly.  It is so sad when you lose a fur baby.  I have an older schnauser now and I worry about her health. She has a cataract and intermittent hearing, but is doing well.  I know this will likely change some day and it hurts to think about that. Our last schnauser became diabetic nearly overnight and lasted only a few days after diagnosis. If only people could be as loyal and loving as a good pet!

Seize the day!  LOL

• Like 3

I've been busy planting the gardening and ordering too many fruit trees for our growing orchard. :imoksmiley: So far, I think Starks is the best overall for fruit trees. I think they're out of Missouri.

We had a scare when DH went to a pre-op before his knee replacement. Our GP found nodules in both sides of his thyroid. We've been chasing down ultrasound and needle biopsies in between PT sessions. I feel like nurse-maid the past 5 months. :whistling: The recommendation was for surgery to remove half of his thyroid. All went as planned last week in the big city. The one-hour surgery was almost three hours long. Found out they had to deal with fat in the neck, extra blood vessels, and excessive bleeding. Thankfully, they found the nerve that controls the voicebox. He's quite bruised and swollen, like a direct hit to his throat by a line-drive baseball. After all that he's been through the past months, the final biopsy came back negative. Now we can get on with our lives and keep working on that new knee joint.  :hug3:

God is good and we're thankful for every day, and every breath. :grouphug:

• Like 4

Well Kappy and Momo ...you all will be getting rain, "weather" you need it or not.  ;)   Hope you don't have winds and such with this storm. 

Glad too hear MrMomo is doing better.  Appetite is a good thing in our older years. 

Homesteader, aiiiee.  That was a scare!  Glad it turned out ok but...harsh procedure.  :amen:

We were over 80 degrees and then yesterday was cold.  :frozen:   Down in 40's last nite.  Today is somewhere in between.  Can't make up it's mind to be summer yet.  :scratchhead:  Hope to do some shifting of goods in garage today....  mebbe?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Picked up all rose clippings from the rose garden this morning (using my handy garden wagon) and wheeled them out to the wooded area (also picked up downed branches to take to same place). Did two loads of laundry including bed sheets. Made macaroni salad. All done this morning. I'm pooped!  What's next?  I think the waffles will finally get made today.

• Like 1

Yesterday around 5 PM we got a call from the folks that made our mobile home.  They were coming today to repair the ceiling.  They never made it, never called.  Another day wasted sitting around waiting for a service person.  Why is it that EVERYBODY now says "we will be there between the hours of 8 and 5....then cant keep their appointments (if you can call an entire day an appointment).  'Twas bad enough when they only scheduled for a half day....now they want a whole one.  Grrrr.  Mary picked beans today, they are starting to come in (at last!) along with the tomatoes.  

...no.  I haven't "hung out" with MS folks for years.  Even electronically.  Used to go to an MS support group which was fantastic when newly diagnosed.  Then I stayed to help other newly diagnosed adapt.  It was good but too far from our boonies to attend now.  Guess I didn't even think of electronic meeting with others with MS.  { lol  I just hang out here}

But I've just spent a half hour looking/reading.  Read all the comments on the disability placard page.  :sigh:  Same ole; same ole....  I've been fully using at least one cane for so many years now, no one would question.  But 20 yrs ago.....I usually could walk INTO a store ok.  But after shopping and gradually getting more fatigued and less 'able'....I neeeeded a very close parking space to get back to my car without crawling.  Folks are still having the :runcirclsmiley2:people screaming in "defense of the disabled".....but not educated in that topic enough to realize they are badgering a disabled person<_<    

MtRider  ...thanks, I'll pop in there now and then  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Another hot one here today. It's only 82 degrees but it feels much hotter. Must be the humidity.

I got my license (drivers and plates) renewed this morning. I was sitting in there fanning myself with a paper and a lady got up and turned the air conditioner thermostat down. She looked at me and said, "I saw you fanning." I said, "No, it's just me...hot flashes." She said, Oh Lordy, me too girl!" And let out a big horse laugh. You probably had to be there but I'm still tickled at her laughing. It was B-I-G.  Women. :grinning-smiley-044:

I called and got a Dr. appointment for med refills. Sheesh, I can't get in until the 14th. It's usually only a couple of days wait from the time you call. Maybe vacations? Then I went over there and signed a paper to have my records released from when I had that acupuncture fiasco. I'm hoping she will prescribe that pain gel Voltaren or its generic. It is getting so hard to get pain relief meds any more from doctors. I've noticed recently that 2 pain clinics in my area have closed down. Another one looked closed but they have very dark windows so I couldn't tell. Fortunately I've been able to handle the arthritis pain with just Advil but I wonder for how much longer and what kind of a fight I'll have to get pain med in the future. My heart goes out to those in severe chronic pain.

• Like 2

Midnightmom, I’ve gotten that look, too many times to count. Honestly, I DON’T care what they think, if they want the pain and hassle that makes me “disabled”, please take it. 

My worst experience was when I went to the store, I had parked in the accessible space, shopped, and headed home, only to be pulled over, less than a mile from the store. The officer was rude, demanding my license & registration, insisting I was taking too long to give them to him. He snatched them out of my hand and went back to his car.  When he returned, he seemed even more irritated, asking why he wasn’t able to get any info on our car. (Redacted plates-LEO). After explaining to him, he went back to his car again, while I worried about my frozen foods melting. 

When he returned, writing in his ticket book, I was finally able to ask him why he pulled me over. He said it was for parking in the handicap space at the store. Confused, I pulled out my plaque and handed it to him, mentioning that the law says not to drive with it on the mirror, so I always put it up after using it.  He grabbed it and went back to his vehicle.  In my rear view mirror, I saw him rip pages out of his ticket book and crumple them up. No apology, no nothing and I was told to go. 

Anyway, it’s a beautiful morning and I need to get some stuff done before it gets too hot out. 

• Sad 4

wow...totally rude, Annarchy.  Wish there was some way to have that presented to these officers who neeeeed to be in control of themselves while on the job.  Everyone has bad days but they have too much control/power to be out of self-control when they're on the job.  :(

I just figured out something.  :lol:  I've got a lot of issues with breathing in this dry, dusty [smoky] climate.  I wheeze sometimes.  The past weeks I'd be laying propped up in hospital bed [most comfortable furniture I have] ...reading...on computer...whatever.  And I'd hear a low wheeze noise.  Well THAT'S a noise I've never made before.... :scratchhead:  I began to be concerned that I had something more going on in my bronchials....or something.  But it didn't match my breathing.  I'd hold my breath and sometimes I'd still hear it.  Soft I could barely hear it.  :scratchhead:  What IS that?

:puzzledsmile:

Figured it out just now...... :rolleyes:

It's my sleeping old CAT!  Down by my feet on the bed. 

MtRider  .....whew, glad I haven't developed yet another difficulty!  :008Laughing:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Haha 3

Sorry about your pain doc, Ambergris!  Hope you can get something positive to happen!

And about your rude police stop, Annarchy.  Wonder what his problem was?!

Made it to the VA and home again yesterday. Actually made some progress and a couple new prescriptions for DH. 

Went to Walmart and to pay a couple bills this morning and when I came home our company was packed up and ready to go on his Harley with his pup in the little trailer. He's off to FL and will hopefully stop back by in a few weeks. New company--couple with 2 small dogs--will be arriving tomorrow afternoon but they are just here for a couple of days. So, I'm going to pay a few bills, clean house, collect laundry and wash it so we will be ready for tomorrow. Having leftovers for dinner tonight and making goulash tomorrow for our friends. Going to a community wide yard sale tomorrow morning, so having a little fun amongst the cleaning! Feeling a little like a B&B&Dinner! LOL

• Like 1

Darn. I fell in the garage...again. I thought my leg just gave out but the more I think about it I think it was probably my ankle.

I went straight down full force on my right knee on the cement. I don't know how it didn't break my kneecap. Or at least crack it. I must have slid a little bit because my knee is all scuffed up. It hurts so bad. Like a rug burn. Going down was like in slow-motion and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. It took me about 15 minutes to get up. Of course I had shorts on too. And of course I threw my back out again.

It burns so bad. I don't think I'm going to be able to walk tomorrow. I'm sore and miserable and stunned and frustrated and mad. I'll get over it but it sure sucks to be me right now.

• Sad 2

Oh Jeepers....I do know what that feels like.  :(  :hug3:  In just one moment, your day and maybe a few days, turns so sour.  Then add the secondary things like affecting your back.  Awwwww!!!!  

After pulling tooo great a weight up our nifty [NEEDS a pulley!] rope delivery up to porch last week, I've been battling back pain....which led to stomach distresss from Nuprin.... which led to headaches I couldn't control without Nuprin....  :sassing:   It just seems like a whole mountain ganged up and fell on ya!  :gaah:

Hope your stuff clears up quickly!

I've actually had the first good day for my back today.  :amen:  I am SO glad.  I got some things DONE for a change!  OK...a very small space cleared and emptied a box of....jumbled, unrelated stuff that had been sitting under the desk for.... :shrug:  Anyway, put things where they should be...and tossed the rest.  :happy0203:  Even after feeding, my back isn't protesting.  :amen:  ....but I've been trying to ignore a headache and .... :sigh:  gonna have to take the Nuprin again. 

Glad you had a good time with guest, Miki.  And a satisfactory doctor visit for MrM?  That's good.  I want to go with you to your community wide garage sale.  Those are a blast....even if you aren't buying.  :thumbs:

DH just got home so I'm off of here.

MtRider :wave: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I want to go with you to your community wide garage sale.  Those are a blast....even if you aren't buying.  :thumbs:

I got a couple of pairs of jeans for eBay and a set of 3 Christmas jars for putting old fashioned candy in and a wayward looking pink stuffed chicken.  Nothing there canning or prep related that I needed and it was 90 degrees when we got there at 10 am.  Don't think you would have been ready for that, Mt. Rider!   I wasn't.  Very humid here, too.  Like FL.

Hope you take it easy on your back today even if it does feel better, Mt. Rider.

And Jeepers!  I pray you feel better than you thought you would today!  

• Like 1

Sheesh, keeping you all in my prayers. 

Went to the lake kayaking yesterday. Needed the get out of the house time. Didn’t catch anything, just a rock, lol, but we had a relaxing time. Saw 5 deer walking through the parking lot heading towards the lake. 

Mountian view and lake pics:

DE1595C5-8E59-40F7-8245-B3F97A236988.jpeg

73F60EB3-9A1F-4C21-B619-4533F56BAF01.jpeg

6F4BFA54-850D-46C5-9A77-F62700DF9E58.jpeg

• Like 3

You're right about the heat/humidity for me, Miki.  Wayward looking PINK chicken, huh?  :unsure:   Yeah,  I need to remember NOT to overdo the back.. :whistling:

Neat pics.  ANY day is better on a boat, Annarchy.  I miss ocean kayaking.  I have an inflateable small boat but can't work the "oars".  I'm thinking I should brace and duct tape the oars together to create a kayak paddle....I'm experienced with that.  Otherwise that little tub just spins in circles...no keel.  :shrug:

Slow start to the day here.  DH woke but went back to bed at some point.  Blissfully snoring now....

MtRider  :pray:  that Jeepers is ok today. 

• Like 1

I survived the night. My knee kept touching the sheet and waking me up.  It's still raw and hurts.

Every time I move, every muscle in my body hurts. Or at least it seems that way. I have bruises where I didn't even know I hit. I am grateful nothing broke though!

I've just been on the heating pad with some aspirin and watching documentaries on the Kindle all day. Lazy girl. I can't remember the last time I took an aspirin so I thought...I don't know that I thought. Something new my body isn't used to and will work?

Love the pictures Annie! Beautiful there.

• Sad 1

Hugs Jeepers.  Those slow motion falls are worse than the sudden fast ones....give you time to tense up and it hurts more when you finally land.  The fast and sudden ones, you just find yourself on the floor wondering how that happened.  (If there IS such a thing as a 'good' fall, that is.)  I fear falling, the last 4 times I have fallen, I have broken things.  And they tell me my bone density is OK.  Considering Tai-Chi classes (if I can find one around here) to help with balance issues.  

• Like 1