MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Glad your migraine has passed, Jeepers.  Headaches I get are no fun but they're not [usually] days long!  :hug3:

Ugg....feeling awful.  These past 3 days...worser and worser.  I don't think I'm actually ill....mebbe :unsure:  I think it's MS + HEAT.  But I can barely walk....weak, no stamina. :imoksmiley:  Using 2 canes IN THE HOUSE...and one is my quad cane.  We've even had a couple overcast [ COOLER]  days this week...and a piddling of rain.  IF the rain even made it to the ground without dehydrating!  <_<   But I'm just wiped out. 

And I was on-line last nite....went to help DH pull up groceries with the pulley system.  Came back and my computer was rebooting.   I had no icon to connect to Internet modem.  HEY!  WHO WAS IN MY COMPUTER AND STOLE MY ACCESS!  Finally gave up and turned it off.  This morning, the icon was there and all was as usual.  :scratchhead:  Then....I was called away from computer again.  Upon returning....it was a black screen and I could not get it on.  :motz_6:  

Ya know when it's been a miserable existence lately......  And you're already feeling awful.....  And then ya feel like something is certainly yanking your chain....  :gaah:    Anyway, I finally unplugged laptop and dropped out the battery.  Then started over.  And it worked.  Hmph!  Keeping a wary eye on this thing! 

MtRider  ...Glad for a long talk on phone with life-long friend this afternoon.  :happy0203:  Cheered me up and I didn't have to get outta bed.  :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

My dehydrator is working at full capacity today.  Walmart has a sale on asparagus.....price reduced from $2.98 a pound to $1.00 a pound.  I did a double take and bought 5 pounds.  Even on my tight budget it was WORTH IT!!!!  I'm drying a lot of it - that cream of asparagus soup, and asparagus-rice combo will taste so good at a future date.  

I got the veggies that were piling up all dehydrated too - zucchini, cucumber slices, green pepper dices, peppermint leaves, and some yellow banana peppers.  No need to dehydrate tomatoes....lots of folks volunteer to take any extras I happen to have.  Now I need more jars (it's always something).

Mary's VA disability claim is being processed faster than usual - her claims officer told her it would go faster than usual because she had done and had records of all the medical tests and treatments to back up her claims.  It looks more and more like it will be 100% but I ain't counting any chickens until they are hatched....and laying eggs!

We had a couple of (relatively) cooler days (80s) which were very nice, now it is heating up again.  New planting of beans are up.  Yay!  summer!

• Like 4

DH was home today.  Waited until 8pm.....FINALLY cool enough.  Then he helped me to get on that ornery old nag to ride.  'Round and 'round we went in the pasture with the other show-off trying to act like he's still a stallion .....he's got nuthin'.  The neighbor horses didn't seem too impressed.  :buttercup:    Just glad he didn't run into us, snorting and carrying-on.  Actually, mebbe he was just feeling good in the coolness too.  :shrug:  

When I got off, I took a cane and walking stick and headed slowly down the flat, DUSTY road....never getting too far away from car.  We noted long ago, the need to walk correctly to "set the pattern"....or the affect goes away too fast.  Back and forth I walked and slowly, I was walking more upright and with correct leg/knee action.  Visited with a neighbor passing by on her horse...in the cool of the evening too.  So....we'll see how well this lasts.  :pray:

MtRider  ....moving to Antarctica.... 

• Like 2

Sooo glad my migraines are finally a thing of the past. Makes my head hurt when I hear about someone else cursed with them. :hug3:

Jeepers - DH got an eye-opener from the surgeon about diabetes before the knee replacement. It really rattled DH to the point that he finally lost some weight. It WORKED! He's down to half a pill and if he keeps up his new lifestyle of eating and fitness, he will be declared 'pre-diabetic' once again. It makes a lot of difference with insurance companies and how doctors treat the patient after surgery. It's worth a try for you, especially since your world is already being turned upside down by your move.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Sometimes I use Roundup when controlling weeds or starting a new flower or veggie bed. I can replant within 2-3 days but wait at least a week. Sometimes the stress of weeds/sod is worth the quick shot of the non-residual chemical. Balance is important in my world.  :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Balance is very important in everything. :imoksmiley: Balance and moderation. Oh, and, "A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do."

Thanks for the encouragement! I have started to eat better. I'm going through my home canned food which is very healthy. Exercising is tough because of my neck and back. But I could do better than I am. It isn't like I need to lose 50 pounds. Just twenty would make a lot of difference. Of course 30 pounds would be ideal. Being short doesn't help my cause either. Excuses, Excuses.

I almost passed out as I was leaving the Dr. office. I just hugged the wall and went slow. I didn't want another wasted trip to the ER. I knew what it was. I have high blood pressure and when they took it it was 121/80. I average 140/85. I was okay sitting down but when I stood up and started walking, it must have dropped even more. But I'm really fine.

• Like 2

You are absolutely right, balance and moderation are key, @Jeepers. That’s been my goal for the past year or so. Eating healthier, little processed food, and trying to be balanced in my choices. Lots of veggies and fruits. Plenty of eggs. Meat in moderation and more of that as fish and chicken. More fermented foods. Occasional wine. Less sweets, but haven’t cut them out - moderation is key -if I crave ice cream, I have a small bowl that I put berries and ice cream in —still have an amazing and satisfying treat, but a moderate portion of ice cream. Just trying to make more healthy choices without feeling deprived. I haven’t starved myself. And I feel healthier and I am definitely slimmer. I am guessing I lost 20 to 30 pounds — not certain how much — 2 jeans sizes, anyway. You can definitely do it by focusing on moderation and balance. The biggest benefit is that I feel better and have more energy. I bet it would help your health issues also.

It sounds like the heat is taking it's toll on alot of us.  Today will be a bit more bearable than the past week so we are trying to get as much outdoor stuff as possible done.

DH got stung by a hornet Saturday and when he woke up Sunday his arm was swollen to about twice it's normal size and his BP was high.  It was 210 over 110.  Since his BP has been running too low lately it was scary.  We had the EMT's out and they said it was okay for him to take Benadryl which helped some.  He is on so many drugs that I was scared to give it to him.  Of course on Sunday the Dr isn't open so I couldn't check with them.  Anyway his BP finally started coming down and the swelling so we decided not to go to the ER. His arm is still swollen today but it's much improved.  Thrills again with DH!

Today DH has his first cardiac therapy session.  Hopefully it will help him to improve what cardiac function he still has.  He basically has one main (out of 3) arteries going to his heart working so that is about 30% function.  It works fine as long as he doesn't overdo it. He is one tough dude!

I cannot believe that the year is more than half over all ready. Where does the time go?  Today is the anniversary of my first marriage (elopement) at 18.  It sure brings back memories of what I thought my life was gonna be like. It sure turned out like nothing I expected. Some of it good and some of it bad. 

We have a huge bunch of hummingbirds this year.  I am having to mix up sugar water and clean feeders every day now.  They get mad when the water gets low.  I feel like a short order cook between DH being hungry all the time plus the dogs, cat and birds.

I gotta go get dressed now and get to therapy on time.

Have a great day ya'll!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Sounds like you're both pretty tough to me, Momo!  I'll have to check and see if our hummingbirds are back yet.  Seems a bit early for this area.

Yesterday I went to thrift shops with DH and to Walmart.  Came home and stayed inside and out of the heat.  We got rain yesterday evening which we really needed and should get more today!  I am doing laundry now and will be making a salad later to take to our Sunday School get together tonight.  It is supposed to be in the upper 80's today, so much better!

• Like 1

I'm at the library.....and they DO have air conditioning!  :amen:  

Our Internet modem went out and the company is sending a tech on Monday.  Until then.....  no Internet.  Was scared to go to HOT library so we got up EARLY :imoksmiley:  But when we got here..... sweet coolness. :happy0203:  I might retreat to here more often...except their chairs are killing my back. 

MtRider ....seeya when we're back on line... :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

I look forward to you being back online, too, Mt. Rider!  

We went to the big city for VA  yesterday,  90 miles each way.  Found out the travel cashier did not have our banking info and that is why we have not been reimbursed for travel yet.  Taken care of now.  All went well and as expected with his visit.  Appointments were in the afternoon and they went faster so we were home faster than usual.

Today, I have made pumpkin treats and cut up chicken for treats for the dogs, cleaned the bathrooms and dusted the house, cut up some peaches to freeze, moved some potted plants because of the heat and made some vegetable soup for me. 

Tomorrow I go help my friend at the store, so gone all day.  

I am getting a better idea of my garden for next year.  On another site, someone said that all preppers should have a moringa tree because of the nutrients in the fruits.  I haven't checked it out but it grows best in tropical areas, not sure I could do it here.  That's about it for now.  Have a great day!

• Like 1

Glad you had a good day Miki. I'm going to have to look up Moringa. It sounds familiar. Maybe We2 knows about it? Not sure.

Sorry your modem went out Mt. Rider. Maybe take a pillow or something with you next time you go to the library? I meant to go to the library today too and forgot. I need them to show me how to download books to my computer. They say they loaded but I can never find them. I think I might need an app.

I got the grass mowed, again. It's still growing fast. It has cooled down a lot here lately. It was only in the mid 70's today. We are supposed to get rain later tonight. I saw where a tornado touched down in southern Indiana today near Louisville, Ky. Sending prayers their way! :pray:

Got most of my errands run today I still need to go to Wal-Mart for some packing tape. The stuff I got isn't sticking to the box. It's a name brand. Scotch I think. Must just be too old. Went to the grocery store and they had the nicest biggest Bing cherries. Also some big soft purple plums. Gonna be eating good this weekend! :yum3:

Mammogram was yesterday. Worse part of the mammogram, for me, is the waiting. I got the 3-D one. Exact same procedure and Medicare pays for one a year so I figured why not.  

• Like 1

Jeepers, does your "neighbor" know you're moving?  And what is his reaction, if so?  If you don't want to answer, that's fine, I'm just curious.  It reminded me when you said you mowed again!

• Like 1

It's okay Miki. You can ask anything.

No one around me knows I'm moving yet. When ever I put the house up for sale, I'm going to ask the realtor if they can do it without putting a sign in the yard. I think they can. The less the neighbors know the better. Especially if I'll be between this place and the Indy place getting this place ready to sell. That shouldn't be a problem though because I don't advertise my coming and goings so most people don't know if I'm here or not.

I just had a lengthy conversation with D-ex today. He thinks I should sell it 'as is' and not put any more money into it except basic repairs. I was always opposed to that but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Either I pay out of pocket or lose it on the sale. Six of one...half a dozen of the other. Still deciding.

The Indy house is pretty much move-in ready. Appliances need updating but I can do that whenever. The inspection company is extending the Home Owners Warrantee to 18 months instead of 12 months for free. They will arrange for all of the utilities etc. to be turned on for free too. I got really lucky with that company.

All of my ducks are in a row so far. I think I've e-signed all the paperwork needed. Bank called today and said the inspection, title and loan has all been approved. Realtor called and said they'd like to do a walk-thru with me the day of closing. They think it will be July 31st. I think all I have left to do is transfer money from one bank to another. I already opened an account there a few months ago so I can just do a wire transfer Monday...if I can remember.

I have insurance all lined up. It's the same company I've had here for the past 30 years so they are giving me discounts on the house and Jeep. Indiana has a higher rate than Ohio but with the discounts I'll only be paying $10.00 more a month.

It's getting down to the wire and scary. Overwhelming and second guessing myself; but in the end I know I'll be glad I did it. I think.

• Like 4

@Mt_Rider losing Internet is no fun! Glad you were able to access via the library.

As to "must" having a tropical tree... No. When I gush over a plant that I grow here in the Midwest, I don't mean that EVERYONE on the planet must have them. Preppers need to look at what grows around them. What is useful right here, where I live? What is adapted to my climate? Learn about that and grow it first, is my advice. Growing something that you will need to keep warm, maybe provide artificial light to, etc. may be fun, but isn't really a survival prep for your location, imho.

@Jeepers the only reason to prep a house for sale is to get it to sell faster. Plus, cheap cosmetic fixes can *potentially* boost the sale price by more than the cost of the fix. Talk to your realtor first. Your location will drive most of those economics.

Mammograms. UGH! :groooansmileyf:

Had the A/C go out 2 days ago. Ugh. Fortunately the repair guy was able to get out here the same day. Even more fortunately, it was only the old thermostat that had died. Also, if it had to die, this week has been less hot and humid, so the timing wasn't too bad.

The really bad Midwestern storms this week all missed us. Glad not to have twisters, but wanted some rain, which also missed us.

Today we are getting some much needed rain, and it is pleasantly cool. We have the windows open. It is lovely! We are listening to the songbirds and enjoying our coffee. Had cold clafoutis for breakfast - one of my favorite summer breakfasts.

Youngest daughter is coming for a visit next week - to pick out her puppy. ?

Edited by Cowgirl
Typo
  • Like 2

Arg!  No AC would make me wilt. Glad they could fix it fast, Cowgirl.  

Mt_R, I hope you get your internet fixed. 

Record breaking heat here in West TX. 

Thursday, I-10 got shut down due to a truck accident:  https://www.kvia.com/traffic/trucking-company-driver-was-reaching-for-water-bottle-when-he-struck-barrier/770420945

A friend of mine was going from WI to AZ and had to detour around it. He stopped by and visited a couple of hours, before continuing on his journey. He is moving back to our area in AZ. 

MIL & I went out to run errands and saw the smoke. We were very grateful we didn’t need to do anything near it. 

Re-caulked all her window casings with 40 year caulk. It was a bear to do.  The caulking gun wouldn’t fit through the bars.  10 windows and 2 doors.  I ended up using my fingers, wore the callouses off my fingers. Lol, they’ll grow back. :rolleyes:

Today, I re-adjusted her backyard sprinklers and am making her a pot of pinto beans. Plus, pulled an half a dumpster of weeds, they really seem to like her sprinklers. I’m done working outside with the excessive heat and ozone warnings. 

Tomorrow, I head back home. DH & I have company coming.  Possum is visiting AZ, I am very excited to visit with her again. I was in TX the last time she was there. 

Time to check the beans. :cook:

• Like 2

@Annarchy bet you will be glad to back home - but it is nice you have been helping your MIL.

The pleasant temperatures along with pleasant rain (not part of severe storms) continues. It is usual to have 2 days in a row in July when we can leave the A/C off and the windows open, with just the ceiling fans. It has been a lovely break.

Enjoying ripe tomatoes lately. OMG YUM.

The zucchinis just keep cranking them out this year. I am going to try dehydrating some since the freezer is overflowing.

Our everbearing strawberry patch never produces a huge crop at once, unlike our June bearer patch. But they keep cranking out breakfasts and desserts all summer. I like having some longer harvesting fruits like that. Tonight's dessert will be strawberries and cream. That never gets old.

I made sourdough cinnamon rolls yesterday. BIG HIT. So I have another sourdough thing to make. I had suspected the sweet and sour combo would be delicious. It is.

Looking forward to youngest daughter's visit - haven't seen her in too long!

Edited by Cowgirl
Typo

I would dearly love an abundance of lemon balm.  Good for headaches, for viral attacks, for tea and fish flavoring, for bees, for bee stings,  to repel mosquitoes...

In about a month, various places will have the fall herbs on sale.  Right now, most of what I see (or rather what I notice) is the second crop of tomato plants.

Once I told the insurance lady if this was not good enough, we needed a new company, she changed her tune.  Maybe I should have gone dam-y sooner. 

Now maybe  we can focus on getting the old house ready to sell--preferably before vandals break in.

It's just so hot.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2018 at 12:21 PM, snapshotmiki said:

Today, I have made pumpkin treats and cut up chicken for treats for the dogs, cleaned the bathrooms and dusted the house, cut up some peaches to freeze, moved some potted plants because of the heat and made some vegetable soup for me. 

I'm exhausted just reading that! Good for you, but don't overdo it! :)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Midnightmom said:

I'm exhausted just reading that! Good for you, but don't overdo it! :)

Not sure if my new way of eating is giving me enough protein as I am pooped and just keep going anyway a lot of the time.  

This morning, I made beef stew in the crockpot for DH, went to Sunday School, skipped Church and came home to rest.  Then cut up squash and other veggies to roast with a little Italian dressing over, and that was it today.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

Not sure if my new way of eating is giving me enough protein as I am pooped and just keep going anyway a lot of the time.  

This morning, I made beef stew in the crockpot for DH, went to Sunday School, skipped Church and came home to rest.  Then cut up squash and other veggies to roast with a little Italian dressing over, and that was it today.

If you aren't eating any of your DH's stew but just eating veggies, your suspicion that you need protein is probably right. Are you trying to eat vegetarian? If so, try eggs and dairy to boost your complete proteins. If you are going for vegan you are probably going to need to look into protein supplements for balanced amino acids.

Edited by Cowgirl
9 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

If you aren't eating any of your DH's stew but just eating veggies, your suspicion that you need protein is probably right. Are you trying to eat vegetarian? If so, try eggs and dairy to boost your complete proteins. If you are going for vegan you are probably going to need to look into protein supplements for balanced amino acids.

Have been eating vegetarian but have recently added kidney beans, eggs and a little chicken or fish.  I think my body needs to catch up to my habits.  Thanks for your suggestions!

• Like 1

Thank goodness..the weather has broken.  Today will be the third day in a row to be in the mid 80's without a lot of humidity.  I love it!  We actually went to town yesterday am without using the a/c in the car.

We went to a birthday Sunday for a friend who turned 100!  It was a family covered dish.  It was nice and traditional.  The lady of honor has all her marbles and knows every grand and great grand kid by name.  If I make it that long I hope I have my marbles like her.  She doesn't take a single prescription either. She could use a new knee but said the surgery is too risky at her age.  She can walk but it hurts a little. Other than that, she is doing better than me and DH.

The tomatoes are coming in force right now.  Tomato pie for dinner tonight!

DH has cardio therapy today.  I hope it helps him get stronger.  He basically has 30% function in his heart and his lungs. He is one tough guy.   I know he worries about leaving me alone since I am disabled.  It is a great motivator for him to keep going!  He is a keeper.

Have a great day ya'll!

• Like 4

We broke heat records again yesterday. 115+ throughout the state. They said we might be cooling off to 110. :008Laughing:Cooling off, indeed. 

Time to get some work done outside before the sun starts baking everything. It’s only in the 80’s right now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1