MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Wow, Mt_R. We have bears looking for food and water in the cities closer to the mountains. The rain we have had recently should help keep them in the wild. 

Not much going on, resting from house cleaning yesterday. 

Of course the clouds are building in the mountains over the lake, because we were hoping to finally go fishing. Not going to happen. 

My little (6’5”) brother called and wants to meet up with me tomorrow or Tuesday, whenever he arrives in the area. I haven’t seen him in over 25 years. 

• Like 3

Really, Ambergris?  Like....slower ballroom type where you can get balance readings off your partner?  Does it help them regain what they lost then?

MS is different, of course.  Nothing regained.  But sometimes I need to just grab someone's wrist....not to hold me up.  But to get a firmer orientation to where I am.  I can walk much faster that way.  Grabbed my mom's wrist at the end of our recent shopping expedition...cuz I leave the store scooter inside their lobby....and I was getting very tired.   

Hope you have a wonderful reunion with your brother, Annarchy. 

Slow day....needed to be.  Recovery till the next BIG day....

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

• Like 1

That sounds very exciting Annarchy! Hope you have a great day with your brother. Lots of catching up to do.

Humm. Maybe that's why my balance is going. I used to dance all around while doing housework. But I haven't done that in a long time. I love o!d rock and roll and doo wop music. I love dancing too. Did I ever mention I was a go-go  girl way back in the 60's. Complete with white boots.  Sigh.

Mt.Rider, Carlene did a study and the best way to maintain your balance while walking is to put your hand in your partners back pocket. In the opposite pocket from you. It has to do with height, gait and stability. Speaking of Carlene, we had 4 girls and 1 boy potential service dogs born 2 days ago. Squeeee. 

• Like 4

Hobby Lobby... :0327:

I had to go to the county south of me today and saw a Hobby Lobby. So I went in. Wow. I can see where my new house will be decorated from. Lots of country and farmhouse décor.  Right up my alley. AND close to where I'm moving has a Hobby Lobby and a Michaels. I'm doomed.

• Haha 4

Drat!  Forgot to post what I'd typed out but meant to move last nite....stuck it in 'copy' and forgot to 'paste', I think.  Busy day.  A Nuprin AND Tylenol day.  But Circus Tent nearly empty now.  DH and I moved lots yesterday.  Putting plastic trash bags over buckets and boxes and such so that rodents can't foul on them.  Then when we move someday, rip off the plastic trash bags and won't have to sanitize AGAIN!  We're labeling things well too.  Using my magic markers and lots of tape.  I LOVE making progress on ORGANIZATION!  :amen: 

Slower day today.  Wore both of us out yesterday. 

• Like 2

Not much going on here today. I need to water the shrubs later. I kept waiting for rain to do it but it hasn't cooperated. It clouds up and I get my hopes up then nothing happens. I'll water today and it will rain tonight. Of course. 

My back is killing me. Nothing new. I did finally remember to call the dr. today. I either forget or it's too late in the day to call when I do remember. I go on the 23rd. But that's just to get a referral for some kind of scan. I'd like the kidney area and my spine scanned. Hopefully that can be one scan. I don't know how all the different scans work. CAT, PET, MRI, X-ray. I don't know. Hopefully she will know more about it than I do!

Now days if you go in for back pain they think you are pill shopping. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nice showers not much but the plants soaked up every drop that fell on them.

Pulled crabgrass in “garden”. Only tomatoes this year. Watched closely for hornworms. I have had both kinds this year, I know one is the tobacco hornworm and the other is the tomato hornworm. The difference is the stripes on the sides. The first ones were red stripes but this exceptionally numerous crop now has white stripes. I am killing at least a dozen every time I go out. So far I have been out 3 times today!!

Then I got in my to do basket...I finished one dress and worked on another. Look at the Walmart Brother with a jaundiced eye. At least I did not buy it, nor would I ever buy such from Walmart .

That gets to my back so I do something else. I canned 2 pints juice and 2 pints    tomatoes. That makes 28 pints now.

Jeepers I hope you find out about your back. Mine can be a kidney infection,or too soft a bed, or improper height of chair for my sewing machine.

• Like 3
On 8/10/2018 at 8:56 PM, Virginia said:

You may be really surprised by what you see.  Having studied art several years, and done some drawing and painting, I know my colors, usually.  When I came in after my cataract surgery, I walked in the bedroom and said "you mean, I had this room painted that color? " Hubby laughed.  Seems the cataracts tend to yellow vision in most folks.  Well, he is not willing to repaint, but I did change the curtains. My kitchen cabinets really are white, and not a yellowish color.  Funny that the doc didn't mention it until I told him I saw colors differently now.

Thank you so much for this post!  So much uneasiness beforehand, but watched a video on removal of the cataract only and was encouraged...and your post really was important for me!  Again...thanks!

• Like 3
On 8/12/2018 at 11:00 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Really, Ambergris?  Like....slower ballroom type where you can get balance readings off your partner?  Does it help them regain what they lost then?

MS is different, of course.  Nothing regained.  But sometimes I need to just grab someone's wrist....not to hold me up.  But to get a firmer orientation to where I am.  I can walk much faster that way.  Grabbed my mom's wrist at the end of our recent shopping expedition...cuz I leave the store scooter inside their lobby....and I was getting very tired.   

Hope you have a wonderful reunion with your brother, Annarchy. 

Slow day....needed to be.  Recovery till the next BIG day....

I have been using hubby's arm or a cane to balance myself, but have "graduated" to just walking on my own.  I do use his arm or my cane when I know I'll be on uneven ground.  Line dancing ... you can be very choosy, and use a cane! LOL  One of my favorites would be "Electric Slide" .  It's EZ and you could do it with a cane in the privacy of your home...with computer music etc. !  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pF9PN8UpqI

• Like 1

I had a nice visit on the 'old homestead' for the last time.  I have some nice momentos, especially my late mothers recipe books & clippings.  Some are from 1948 when she was 18 years old!  Some recipes are hand written on various pieces of scratch paper, newspaper clippings, and the like.  Even her weekly bread baking recipe (Makes 8 small or 6 large loaves, or, as she wrote "4 loaves, 2 cinnamon swirl loaves, and a pan of supper buns".  I see where I got my love of recipe collecting from.  Many childhood favorites are there, some from her mother, some from relatives (2nd cousins from her mothers; side) and some in my fathers handwriting where he re-worked her family size recipes to fit his later baking as a widower.  I have a year book from when I was in the 8th grade (I look like a baby) and church cookbooks from the 2 parishes we went to for church.  Best of all, I have the family bible, with all the info in her handwriting in the middle - the usual genealogical kind of stuff.  I am most grateful to have all of these things.  I also have the round oak (heavy, too) dinner table we all ate around.  The chairs were sold at auction, but Dad kept the table out for me (thank you, Dad).  I also got some nice jewelery - pins and clip earrings - that belonged to her.  Nothing really fancy, but treasure to me.  

Dad's health is starting to fail - at 89 he can't keep up the house & 2 acre yard anymore, so he sold it - it went more quickly than I expected.  I had a nice chat with my sister and brother too while I was there.  Sis has the family photos and will make up copies either printed or digital for us other brothers & sisters.  Brother is storing the table and Grandma's treadle sewing machine until I can get back up there to trailer them home. 

Dad is frustrated - he can't polka anymore, play golf, and camping is very hard for him.  He was always a strapping active man, so this physical impairment is difficult for him.  He is starting to fall down more often.  He has a lady friend he travels with (who also likes to polka and they travel to Arizona in the winter together) so he will rent a room in her house, so he has someone around to help him as needed, and he helps her when she has bad days (gout).  I'm glad he has someone to help him out and encourage him day to day.  At their ages it is all about companionship, more than anything else.  Don't know how much longer he will be around, so I'm stepping up my contacts with him via phone and internet.  He likes seeing photos of our place in GA, he is familiar with  the area from his working in the area back in the 1940s.  

So here's to my folks - thank you Mom & Dad for all your hard work raising the family!  You did well - no felons, no drug users, no drunks.  Just boring, employed, self-reliant kids, and grandkids, (and great grandkids).  

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Slower day today.  Wore both of us out yesterday. 

:laughkick:     :grinning-smiley-044:     WELL....THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.  :imoksmiley:  :yar:  

After 2 decades up in this location, we've seen about everything.  Flood.  Fire.  Blizzard.  Lightning Strikes.  Drought.  70 MPH straight-line WIND. 

Today was among the top FOUR thunderstorms in all that time with SUPER DELUGE RAIN CONTENT.  We haven't see a small cell of SUPER RAIN sit on us for an hour since......  :shrug:   It's been years.  It was coming down in white sheets.  So hard that inches of rain was collecting just out the back door.  Running like waterfalls down the steeeeep hillside out the back door.  I went out in the middle of it to divert a particular channel coming down the mountain side cuz water was going to be INTO our back door soon.  I had to plug to stream with my boot, chuck up some of our porous sand/grit/small gravel stuff we live upon with my [point of use] shovel....and dump it behind the barricade my foot was making.  With the last shovelful dropped when I lifted my foot.  Then, if it didn't wash out right away [did that a number of times] then I'd chuck more of a levy into place.  I was scraping the channel with the shovel to deepen and direct where it was going.  

We are talking in miniature here.  All of this was a channel of water the size of what would come thru a full drain spout.  But it was coming down the goat's path from up the nearly vertical hillside...... so fast for at least and hour.  Then leaping off the path to channel right to the back steps.  The goat's fence did not stop water, of course.  It's done this path before and I maintain a diversion channel so it won't.  Normal good downpour....my channel would hold.  THIS....was insane.  THIS RAIN is one of those legendary Flash Flood Makers that CO is famous for. 

Yes...the valley between the 2 steep big hillsides on our place has been flash flooding a few times in recent years.  Once mildly in July this year.  Today.....it came from the top of the ridge [HIGH STEEP ridge] and by the time it gets to us....it's got some speed behind it.  This is not the valley the house is in...just horse pasture.  Course I was fighting other battles so I've never seen it in action.  Would be amazing to see it GUSH!  But the result is either grass laid down flat....and/or ....grass buried under the mud.  This one extended around the corner and all the way to the pond...ending in mudflats.  Covered the pasture grass and when the water was done, there was MUD!  That's the most action we've seen in that.

The driveway....which we've both spent energy this past week trying to repair earlier damage from rain.  We have to shovel dirt/grit from over where W drops the winter snow...and dirt.......and put it in the crevasses which were a foot deep from that previous rain.  After today's first storm, the three crevasses were 2 feet deep and wider than we'd JUST repaired.  Can't even get car down until we fill them.  So painfully after the FIRST storm today, we shoveled and tossed.  DH filled many MANY loads on the plastic sled and dumped it into the crevasse.  I searched out more mid-size rocks to toss down there....holds the erosion better and less space to fill with dirt/sand/grit.  Worked on that for over an hour.  :0327:

Also had to loosen another area of the Circus Tent tarp which had filled with a HUGE amount of hail [oh hail, yessss.  That too today!]  and rain water.  I was in favor of just splitting the leaking tarp with a knife!  But we got enough bungee cords to let loose and SPLLLLOOOOOSH!  15 gallons? 

Course we didn't do that until the SECOND STORM began raining so hard just as we finished feeding horse, got ducks/goat inside for the night. 

AND....we're prepping to have a load of hay delivered to the hay shed tomorrow morning.......  So between storms while we fed, DH was clearing everything in there...laying pallets,etc.  Also removing posts and fencing to allow the hay truck to back in....  I was filling in yet MORE crevasses from the first rain.  And cutting open the small drainage canals we keep next to the low spots at the bottom of the driveway ...where the water puddles form.  Huge puddles.  I got one drained and water gushing from the large one.  And then the rain began again. 

We'd been in to buy Subway from the village before starting PM chores.  So at least we'd eaten since breakfast.  Then got soaked to the skin again with wrapping things up in barnyard.  I was in pouring down rain again....tho not the sheeting volume of the earlier storm cell....digging a trench [moat ] and putting the sand/grit on top of a berm I maintain in front of the big garage door.  It's supposed to be more like 5-6" high but without adding to it, it shrinks down and I hadn't noticed.  

Yessss.....we had flooding in the basement in the first rain as I was focused on trying not to get flooded in the back door.  After it stopped the first time, I immediately checked basement/garage area and not only did we have seepage running thru the whole basement from under the big door, but we ALSO had seepage squirting thru the top of the basement wall.  Where the cement-poured walls become log and chinking.  ...chinking that's been falling out for years.  <_<    We wisely keep EVERYTHING setting up on at least 1" boards....pallets....thicker boards.  EVERYTHING.....except what DH forgets.  [ ack...I HOPE his printer wasn't on the floor!! Don't remember seeing that!]  I rescued 2 things of his and thru down an armload of newspapers I'd grabbed as I came down.  Soaks up the seepage.  NOT a full-on flood.  But and inch covered a lot of area cuz the garage floor slopes to the opposite side....where they put the floor drain.  Comes in one side and runs the whole length.  PLUS the top of the wall leakage due to the back yard filling up with several inches of water.  THAT'S WHY I was so anxious to divert that torrent coming down the goat trail.      :0327: 

The second rain did not threaten to do that.  And I'd added a moat and more inches to the small berm in front of garage door this time.  Good thing cuz this one lasted an hour too.  A good HARD rain but not like the mega-rain the first time. 

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL OUR WORK FILLING IN THE DRIVEWAY CREVASSES.......   :banghead:    Wasted.  :faint3:  All that energy wasted.  It didn't even last 2 hours after we'd slaved to fill it in.  Now we have to do it again.  We have a UPS delivery tomorrow  AND the hay delivery but that's not coming up the hill.  AND I called our property managers to come and view the driveway.  We need some professional help here....when it's this bad.  More dirt/grit/sand at the top of the driveway would help.  It's all run down the hill!!!   100' of our telephone wire is now exposed along the left side of the driveway.  We don't have enough dirt to cover it!  That's when I called and they are coming. 

[also need a new water pressure tank....the ancient one is barely getting water up to 2nd floor.....but that's an expected expense.  Everyone knew it would not last long after the last time water guy fixed it.  We've been in such a dither for so long with medical issues for everyone, I didn't want to deal with that issue!]

So as rain #2 pounded down, I kept checking our vulnerable areas: 

The channel in the goat's pen held.  :amen:

The moat and berm in front of garage door held.  :amen:

The Circus Tent roof we collapsed is not holding bulging gallons of water.   :thumbs:  Tent is FINALLY almost empty of contents now!  What's still in there is in the two corners that still have tarp over it.  And ALL of it is up on pallets.  :)

The stairs going up to the goat house...where I diverted the water...will need some repairs.  Some is washed out and some are covered over with our dirt/sand.  :shrug:

The crevasses in the driveway ......are baaaaaaack.  :sad-smiley-012: 

Pray for us tomorrow.... already a full day and DH goes to work in afternoon.  Pray that the hay truck can get backed up to hay shed.  This morning, all the dirt down there was like concrete!  After this....he could get seriously stuck.  One of the reasons I was cutting open the mini-canals to drain the driveway low spots!!!  Told property managers [ B and J ] not to come in morning cuz hay truck might be in the way.  Hope DH can stop the UPS driver before he even TRIES to come up driveway.  Aaaagh!  Everything at once and all I want to do is :pc_coffee: 

MtRider  .....at least washing my shorter hair was E-Z tonite!!!  :) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The somebody/something is the three points for orientation.  Helps keep from getting disoriented too.

Yes!  Wall-Trailing is another way to get in that third point of orientation.  And if the lights go out...completely black which is loss of vision for balance....you'll find me grabbing carpet REALLLY FAST!   Before I can't find WHERE the carpet IS!  :wacko: 

But does a stroke person regain some of their normal balance...if they practice with dance or other?

MtRider  Amazing what a third touch point does for orientation!  :imoksmiley: 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, kappydell said:

So here's to my folks - thank you Mom & Dad for all your hard work raising the family!  You did well - no felons, no drug users, no drunks.  Just boring, employed, self-reliant kids, and grandkids, (and great grandkids).  

:thumbs:  :thumbs:    You bet, Kappy!

You know...your parents are/were the same ages as my folks.  Their generation was amazing.  My dad went from farming with horses to farming with machines that were the size of their first house....[which he built]  and cost 200 times as much!  All in that one generation. 

'Course our generation went from "party line" phones to cell phones to iPhones...... from abacus to adding machines to computer tablets.....which is quite the jump too. 

Glad you had a good family time!!

Annarchy....safe travels to you!  :pray:

Jeepers and Twilight......you may be seeing some rain if these storms head your way.....  :behindsofa: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

Showers this a.m. which we desperately needed. Cattle farmers in some area ran out of pasture last month, needing to feed hay when the hay crop is extremely scarce.

Mt_Ryder just because we have not had the weather you and Annarchy had does not mean we can not have something else just as extreme. Mother always said one extreme follows another..... will it be extremely mild winter or extremely cold? I keep feeling I need to get a winter supply of wood in.

Your parents and their children are to be commended for the desire to work!  On another forum was a short discussion of people not having money for food.... there are truly people in need but these people they talked about weren’t. Slothful is the Biblical word. That is the reason I want to leave here! If the government quit feeding/supplying every need for these people I might be able to hire someone to help me when I need help!

• Like 2

I mowed the yard today. I didn't see hide nor hair of my stalker. I think he's scared. He'd better be. I'll go all Hoosier up on him again. And his wife too. :008Laughing:

I ran over a tin can in the back yard. It was empty and the blades shredded it. But oh my the smell! At first I thought maybe it was my neighbors garden. Maybe he had fertilized it. Nope. It wasn't coming from him. Every time I passed by the can shreds, I smelled it even stronger. It smells like something dead. Horrible dead. I went about my mowing but still smelled it when I got near the can. I parked the mower in the garage and now the mower and the garage stink. I think I can even smell it in the house. Probably just my imagination but I'm going to Neti Pot my nose anyway. It's not a little smell. It's a BIG stink. Shudder.

It would be so easy to blame the stalker neighbor but I saw the can out there before our 'incident' and forgot about it. Also it's on the other side from him. I wonder if something crawled up inside the can and died and I just blew it open? It was only the size of a coke can. I don't know how one little can, can cause such a smell all over the back yard.

We still haven't gotten any rain and it's still cloudy. It's 88 degrees and dry so I'm going to have to water the shrubs again. I noticed a couple of weeds in the shrub bed already. Of course they will thrive with no care at all.

• Like 2

Glad your mowing was without visible harrassment, Jeepers!  Bullies can't hold if someone stands up to them....except in sneaky ways, so keep a watch out.  Sheesh....can't get outta there too soon!  Stink....dead, 'ripened' mouse?

Annarchy FIXED IT.....  :sSig_thankyou:

Ok..today was going to just be BUSY!  Hay delivery at 10:30AM.  He was new to this and was afraid to back his truck where everyone has backed to the hay shed for 20 yrs.  So he backed over the ....er, compost pile.  Lot of years of composting "horse products".  Then HE was upset with DH.  Well I was observing this for a while as they used our plastic sled method to move 50 bales...+ 3 straw....dragging over to hay shed.  I was afraid he was going to leave cuz he threw all the bales off the truck.  Sooooooo....I got into my jeans and leather gloves and my walking stick and phone.  Marched down there.  Guy was in barn so I said to DH.......  ok, I yelled loud  enough for guy to hear  "WHY THE HECK DID HE DRIVE THRU THE COMPOST PILE?  THERE IS A STRAIGHT SHOT EVERYONE HAS USED FOR 20 YEARS...NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HIM?"  {DH was laughing cuz he knew what I was doing....as in:  let's clarify as to WHO should be irritated in this situation!!!!!!!}

When the guy came out of shed I continued:  AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING {to DH} ....YOU HAVE TO BE AT WORK LATER TODAY....ARE YOU GOING TO CALL IN?  YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIFTING BALES!   At that point I had already loaded a bale on the second sled I brought down...and was trying to load another one.  I looked at the guy and said sincerely: This IS great hay....and I can't lift bales that heavy!  Neither can DH...he has heart trouble and a blood clot in lung last year.  Can NOT do this anymore!"

Apparently DH had mentioned I have MS and I'm obviously getting older....so guy quickly moved to lift a double stack of bales on both sleds.  He kept saying "I'll do that...I'll do that!".....till I quit.  He asked if DH and I could just stabilize the stacks while he pulled BOTH sleds.  We did that for a couple runs before I was shaking too hard but it was fine for DH to continue.  Guy kept looking at both of us like we were about to expire right there.  He had an awakening on "older...health...strength issues".   But we didn't need to stop completely.  I'd topple bales [not lift] onto sled and the two of them dragged and stabilized.  It was done pretty quickly and the guy had a complete change of attitude.

DH told me later that he'd been pretty nasty after driving thru STUFF.... and then having to sled the bales.  I could hear that from up at cabin so I wanted to clarify with the 'child' that EVERYONE  drives backs their loads where DH had told him to go.  This was HIS fault for not knowing how to drive his truck.  With both of us pitching in with low-labor portions, he didn't fall too far behind on his deliveries...and appoligized for his outburst earlier.  Turns out he is actually the feed store, not just the delivery boy......and needed to act like the owner!  And, in the end, he did.  All's well that ends well...as Ma Ingalls would say. 

We both had to shower...HUMIDITY like Maui today.  :knary:   Then we ate and DH left for work.  Later our property managers came cautiously up the broken driveway.  One minute later, the expected Fedex driver pulled in.  I'd left a wheelbarrow with a sign at the bottom of the hill.  Delivery Driver..do not come up.  HONK! So I walked down far enough to holler, "the driveway's out up here.  Put the box in the shade of the van and I'll get it in a bit."  He looked reallll glad to be warned off. 

B and J got the whole tour of "fire-hose" water shooting down the mountain yesterday.  Outside to see where it was accumulating waaay above our property.  Then inside to see where it leaks into basement/garage.  From under door AND thru the top of cement walls.  Looked at how flooding massive amount of sand/dirt thru years has raised the ground level of back yard area.  They need to dig back and apply waterproofing to house....OR bobcat a whole layer of dirt/sand from the back yard so the water doesn't get that high so fast.  Other ideas as we climbed hills and looked at the whole lay of the land. 

.....I WILL NEVER look at a piece of property carelessly again.  Have learned to LOOK.....

They thot B could repair the toilet....only works if you hold the lever down thru whole cycle.  Has anyone ever heard of a type ....instead of the usual flapper, there is like a tin can that goes up to let water flush and goes down to seal the hole.  J has done MANY properties and never saw this.  They took I.D. letters/numbers ....hopefully can find correct parts.  Might replace whole thing.

3rd issue...obviously the driveway which they came up very carefully.  J took many pics to show owners WHAT the problems were.  J and B both saw what we saw......we don't have enough dirt to keep filling it in without creating holes elsewhere.  No real solutions but they're on it. :shrug:  Very glad we decided to call them in this time.  Usually we just get along as we can.  Not this time.  Especially the basement flooding thru the wall......which will cause damage to the bottom logs of the house.  THAT'S when owners need to know.

Then I took truck down to pick up the delivery box.  {almost forgot it!}  Aaaaaugh!  My tires got stuck in the crevasse I was TRYING to avoid.....and I was afraid I might tip.  I'm not doing that again.  I'll walk down....and up....tonite for chores.  DH and I will fill enough in to be able to safely drive down.  But the rest of the driveway....we'll wait for them to figure it out.  [don't drive over telephone lines!] 

So I ate the other half of my Subway from yesterday.  Needed that! 

What a day!  :buttercup:  Been sayin' that a lot lately!

MtRider ...all's well that ends well    ......:0327: ........MOSTLY well.....  ;)

Edited by Mt_Rider
THANK YOU ANNARCHY! She fixed it!
  • Like 3

:faint3:  AAACK....how do you get "strike thru" to turn off.  I  did  [ s ] but [ / ] without the 's' in the second brackets.  I've edited and fixed four times and it' insists on striking thru EVERYTHING..... 

Annarchy?  Anyone? 

MtRider ....quite irritating to read that way....ya might want to wait till I can fix it!  :gaah: