MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Today was a bit of an "off day"...unfortunately that sometimes comes with thyroid issues.  So, hubby and I went to $Tree to pick up a sympathy card (a friend's mom passed) and then to WM so he could get another work watch.  He goes through them quite often in his line of work.  Stopped by the homestead and rotated out a few things from the pantry, including 2 jars of chili beans from 2015 that I put up using Tattler lids.  Also some yogurt (we buy in bulk and store it in the frig there) since we eat it daily with our granola.  Then baked a loaf of bread since we're just about out. Going to take a pasta type salad to my friend's house that's hosting for the immediate grieving family's meal after the funeral.  

101_0824.JPG

• Like 4

Well....we did get ONE thing done today.  Some days that's about all we can manage!  Had to get up early to take one of our cats to the vet.  She tried to deliver a huge kitten (3x normal size) and ended up with a uterine prolapse - a big one.  So she will be spayed and they will fix it.   She was a good mama in her day, but that is done now.  Then we tried to find a replacement deck belt for the lawn mower.  NO luck, it has to be ordered.  So we pay the extra $10 to have is sent out asap (tomorrow) because with the week we were gone the lawn went kinda prehistoric hayfield mode.  Then we went out to pick the garden, as we do every morning as a matter of routine. 

The lady we had feeding/checking on the cats was out daily, but did not pick anything from the garden as we had invited/asked her to.  So we have about a bushel of assorted veggies - huge okra (too big to make into crisps), tomatoes that are splitting from all that sudden rain,  and zeppelin sized cucumbers.  The watermelons we put in for her are rotting in the garden, as she kept waiting for them to 'get bigger' even tho we told her several times she had purchased 'individual sized' watermelons - minis, if you will.  Oh well, her melons, her loss.  Tonight I am cutting up green peppers into a small dice for our freezer.  They are excellent tossed a few at a time into our breakfast omelets, our hamburger barbecue mixture, and into macaroni salads.  We also got quite a few green beans of varying maturities, which I will snip and string as I sit and watch TB over the next few days.  The split tomatoes I will cut the good parts for salad, and save the seeds from the messy parts for planting in the future.  I vaguely recall that I need to ferment them in water to kill some virus or other that otherwise 'winters over' on the seeds.  I don't recall which one(s) because I read that article nearly 30 years ago; but the fermentation is not an inconvenience so I will do it as a matter of course.

We did score some cheapo bananas at Walmart back up in Wisconsin - 24 cents a pound (!!) so we got some green ones just before leaving for me to experiment with.  I want to try drying them, but at the usual price around here of 59 cents a pound, no way am I going to experiment with them.  The dehydrated okra pod crisps turned out wonderful.  Just sprinkle freshly picked, washed green pods with oil (I used canola, some prefer olive), sprinkle with flavoring (I did not have ranch dressing powder, so I used onion and garlic powders).  Dehydrate at the higher end of the vegetable setting for a looooong time (took me 30 hours) and they get nice and crispy.  You don't even have to stem them (the steam makes a nice handle when munching).  The seasonings make these very savory, and the dehydrating until crisp eliminates the texture that some folks don 't like (sliminess).  I prefer the dehydrated to the oven roasted versions - I can use much less fat, even a fat spray, just to hold the seasonings on, since I won't scorch them in the dehydrator.

I figured out what I want to do with Moms handwritten and saved recipe clippings.  I'll get a package of those clear page protectors, and insert them; for the newspaper clippings I'll get some of those magnetic photo pages to fit the binder and group them together.  That way if one of my siblings wants a recipe I will know how to lay my hands on them!   She also wrote down all the lyrics to her favorite songs when she first started getting Altzheimers, to help her to sing (which she loved to do) as long as possible.  I am the keeper of those handwritten lyric sheets, and yes, I treasure my 'ephemeral' collectables as they call paper antiques now days.  Now I know what spedific songs to play on the piano on her  birthday, and imagine I hear her running from the other end of the house to stand at my side and sing as I play, as she loved to do.  Sweet memories.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

:faint3:  AAACK....how do you get "strike thru" to turn off.  I  did  [ s ] but [ / ] without the 's' in the second brackets.  I've edited and fixed four times and it' insists on striking thru EVERYTHING..... 

Annarchy?  Anyone? 

MtRider ....quite irritating to read that way....ya might want to wait till I can fix it!  :gaah:  

Yup, I am here, removed the striking, using the “Source” function, (before the B, I, Underline, etc.) but you get to re-edit the paragraphs. I’m using my iPad here in TX. Sorry.  

I had a upset tummy and the shakes this morning before leaving. We prayed and off I went. On the east side of Tucson, the rain started, and, turned into a downpour with standing water on the road. What’s wrong with people now days?!?  Slow down!!!! If you can’t see the road AND your vehicle is hydroplaning!!!!!   What a nightmare!  It was almost worse than driving through a dust storm. 

It cleared up by the time I got to TX Canyon, but I could still see dark clouds on the horizon. At Lordsburg, NM, I called DH and had him check Intellacast for me. He said the storm appeared to be moving away from I-10. The rest of the trip was uneventful, thankfully. 

Monday, I drove 50 miles to meet my little brother, he wanted to see our town. I took him the back way, to show him the development in the area. What used to be desert, 25 years ago, is now, track houses and strip malls. He was astounded. Then drove him to the next town, and showed him all the new developments there.  By then, I was getting tired, so I drove him back to his truck. We chatted a little more, before I headed home.  I drove approximately 250 miles in a circle twice. 

Then, DH wanted to go kayaking, because it was the first day without rain in the mountains.  I crashed around 5pm and got up at 11pm, packed the truck and we were off. 

Absolutely beautiful weather on the water, no waves, no boats, no cars, no moon, and millions of stars and a dozen falling stars. We didn’t catch anything but we had quite an adventure.  We pulled into a sandy secluded cove to stretch our legs, quietly chit chatting, when I heard a sound like an animal drinking water, very close to us.  Then, a couple of snorting sounds. DH yelled, “HEY!”, and the snorting got closer. I backed into the water, grabbing my yak, got in and pushed off.  DH stood there listening a moment and said it was gone.  I felt like a fool for getting scared and running away. We figured, by the sounds, it could have been an havalina. However... when we left the area, we heard the shuffling of the reeds and what sounded like a pop can in a plastic bag. Then, we caught it’s eye shine. From what we could see, it looked like an old raccoon scavenging it’s midnight snack.   

As as the sun was coming up we headed back to the dock. Got home around 10 am. 

I rushed through getting things ready for my trip, and finally got to sleep around 4pm, just to wake up around 11pm with a screaming headache. DUH!  I hadn’t had any coffee. Drank one cup and literally felt the headache subside. I guess it’s time to wean myself off it again. 

Time me to get some sleep, I’m tired.....

CB597DEF-2579-472C-94A0-37BF62B3F0F5.jpeg

• Like 3

You are so correct about bullies! I'm glad you set yours straight today too. Some times people really don't think until they are told. Others are just down right nasty.

Oh, a mouse or chipmunk. Could have been either one. I still smell it! I knew a guy who found a dead guy once. He said he'd never forget that smell and could still smell it weeks later. I'm like that now. I know the smell isn't around me but I can still smell it. Definitely something dead. If it hadn't been coming from that little can, I'd be concerned of something/someone back in the woods. I've only smelled something like that when we had a plant come up in our yard back in Indiana. It was called 'death plant' or 'corpse flower'. It came up under our cherry tree. It was awful!

Ugh, there is a huge fly buzzing around my head. I hate when they do that. Probably smells that rotten smell hoping it's me.

• Like 4

Anarchy!!  Thank you for getting rid of the strike-thru on my post!!!!!!  :hug3:  I tried and tried but it wasn't cooperating.  Pffft, I merely forgot the "s" in the end- part of the code..........and THAT was the result.  Aiiieee.... 

Looked up havalina....is that a LITTLE piggie critter?  Looks like it has big teeth and I'd be right in the kayak with you in a single minute!!!  Things that go BUMP in the night....  :behindsofa: 

I think I'm quite tired out from the past 3 days of heavy labor.  One of us....DH or me....left the small garage door OPEN last nite.  Yeah, like we need to give critters and rodents an OPEN INVITATION.  :banghead:     Then this afternoon, we were down in garage in pursuit of some goal on this BUSY day....and came back up stairs to find I'd left the porch gate open......invitation for Koa to go walkabout.  :o    She didn't.  THEN....I walked down with Koa to do chores this evening....came back up to find I'd left the screen door open....invitation for my wierd old cat to run outside.  She's strictly INDOOR and totally freaks out when she gets herself outside.  She WON'T come to me at all....I have to herd her to a propped open door when she does an escape.  Fortunately she did not take the invitation either.    :sassing:  I need to check myself in for a loooong rest....before I do something SIGNIFICANTLY BRAINLESS! 

Kappy, your dehydrated okra sounds wonderful!  We like okra ....battered, deep-fried.  Yeah, lotta grease in that.  If we could get any up here, I'd sure try your method!  Have you tried pod peas with that method.  I've purchase them in a crunchy form and they are good!  Bananas are easy to dehy....but they take a while to get dry enough to kind of 'click' when they are shuffled together.  Sometimes they are hard to remove from the screens.  Also, spritzing or dipping in lemon juice water helps them to keep from turning dark.

I love what you said about 'paper antiques'.....  :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Ack...now my enter key isn't down spacing.   MtRider .......Out for now.... :wacko:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Yes, Mt_R, it is a little piggy... with a huge bad attitude. A real danger, if they want to. My first thought was your post of the mountain lion... or bear...   And, you are welcome. I really messed your post up the first time I tried to fix it.  

Awww, Jeepers. Dead animal, yuck. Hope you are able to get the smell out.  You reminded me...  Years ago, someone got the “smart” idea to put a sticky mouse trap inside the wall at work.... yeah, wasn’t nice to go to work, for a long time. No one could find where the smell was coming from. Months later, they were doing some construction and found the dried carcass. 

WE2, your chili looks good, ‘tattler’ lids, looks like they work well. BTW, did you hear about the recall on granola, I need to look it up, Some chemical & Monsanto....

Twilight, sounds like you have been busy, are the dresses coming out pretty?

I have a lot of paper heirlooms. Among them, a little 2” square thin book, several different hand writtings, began in the 1800’s of family names, dates of birth and death, causes of death, broken bones, sicknesses, etc.  Most didn’t live past their 60’s. Yikes!  But medical care back then was scarce. 

I’ve been enjoying reading about your home & garden adventures, Kappydell. This is the first year I still have green in my garden plots during the summer. 

Time to look up info about Medicare home health services for the elderly.... hopefully I will find something. 

• Like 3

Dad was telling us about working on a pipeline that went under the Pecos River years ago.  The pipeline markers had been destroyed and they were trying to trace it.  One of the guys said they'd be able to hear where it was when one of the valves opened at 11pm.  So he's out there, in the dark, with no weapons of any kind, waiting to see if he can hear stuff flowing through a pipeline so they can find the thing.

And then he heard rustling.  Wasn't too worried about it at the time, but the next week, the rancher told him he'd put out traps because he was losing too many sheep, and caught something like 15 bobcats and mountain lions.  He got lucky nobody decided to see how he tastes.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, kappydell said:

he split tomatoes I will cut the good parts for salad, and save the seeds from the messy parts for planting in the future.  I vaguely recall that I need to ferment them in water to kill some virus or other that otherwise 'winters over' on the seeds.  I don't recall which one(s) because I read that article nearly 30 years ago; but the fermentation is not an inconvenience so I will do it as a matter of course.

Maybe this will help. :D

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Years ago, someone got the “smart” idea to put a sticky mouse trap inside the wall at work.... yeah, wasn’t nice to go to work, for a long time

That's the reason we use a rolled piece of duct tape to keep the glue boards in one spot when we capture something.  Good thing cuz last fall I was shocked to find a RATFINK in a mouse glue board in the basement.  He got himself stuck good tho that board wasn't  'rated' for rats.  Got him quickly outside to the 'bucket of death'.....5 gal. with a foot of water.  Hasten death with a long stick.  :buttercup: 

Point of information:  I've read that pouring any grease/oil on those sticky boards will release the sticky.  In case you find your stocking feet stuck in one....y'know....at any point in your life.....  :whistling: 

=========

OK....I am totally brainless here!  I keep making mistakes on things I've been doing by rote for decades.  This keeps up I'm gonna be trying to put my shoes on ......backwards!  :sassing: 

========

Midnight....how is your community?  Is the Carr fire getting "contained".  Did I see it had joined with another fire????

CO is definitely getting the soot/ash from the CA fires.  Praying for you all over there and very grateful that we're not in fire danger ourselves at this point.  Last nite there was a crescent moon.  I glanced at it and took a double-take.  IT WAS ORANGE!  Not the brilliant, fluorescent ORANGE that the setting sun has when there is wildfire smoke in the area.  That waters your eyes to look at it....but if you like bright shiny things, it's pretty.  The moon was not shiny but a definite deep orange.  :puzzledsmile:

This afternoon, we are very hazy.  I've shut up the house except for the air water-filtered thru swamp cooler.  Guess I'll wear N95 when I feed tonite.  My bronchial thing has already been telling me of the air quality.  :( 

DH dragged another dozen sled loads of grit/dirt from Point A to Point B...the crevasse this morning.  To make sure I could drive truck down safely tonite for feeding.  Don't want to damage tire or wheel assembly things.....  I cleared more out of Circus Tent ....... ripped/packed some wet boxes to take to trash.  We're almost done.  The camping stuff is secured in the only corner left with the roof tarp up.  The rest of the tarp is down so it doesn't fill with rain water.  Almost DONE!  :amen:

MtRider  .....remind me to build a proper roof rafter structure the next time I think I'm an architect.  :rolleyes: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3
Just now, Mt_Rider said:

Midnight....how is your community?  I

The Carr Fire is still burning, but it is no longer threatening any towns and all evacuation orders have been lifted. We have had new help coming from Texas, Australia, and Samoa to help quench this thing. As for it joining another one, there are 2 new fires burning north of the Carr Fire. The Hirz Fire is on the same side of Lake Shasta and that may be what you have been hearing about. It appears to be burning quite aggressively and is causing many evacuations. As a result, the smoke down here is still pretty thick. The immediate needs have all been met, but the marathon is just beginning.......................

• Sad 3
On 8/15/2018 at 2:42 AM, Mt_Rider said:

But does a stroke person regain some of their normal balance...if they practice with dance or other?

A lot of it.  My dad went from half the day in a wheelchair some thirty years ago to being the oldest gentleman in last week's ballroom dance.  And that's with several strokes since.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

The Hirz Fire

Yes, I think that's the one a saw in conjunction with Carr fire.  Still smokey....I'd have to leave on an extended vacation.  Glad you did NOT have to EVAC but...you were ready!!!  And now you'll know if it ever happens again.  Yes...the marathon of getting back to normal....or a new normal.  :pray: 

Wow, Ambergris.  It's scary that he's had multiple strokes but ....hooray for regained ground!!  Horse riding resets my vestibular system...but only temporarily.  Over the decades tho.... some of the affect has remained even when I rarely ride now.  It would be better if I did ride, but at least I'm mostly on my feet even with such a long time between my main therapy. 

.....that OLD horse is just tooo thin to waste her calories in lugging me around for even a half hour.  :sigh:  And the other one is an untrustworthy idiot.

Need a mechanical horse....and they are making them now.  May or may not be correct motion for my needs...

....really did MOSTLY have a rest day.  Had to wash some eggs.  Did usual chores.  Did not clean cat's litter box ....and wishing I had now.  Too late to be out in the dark.  Whew...tomorrow!!!  Old cats have strong odor! 

MtRider  ....day one of nothing unusual happening  :lol: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

I had hoped to take it easy. But Mom said she had to show me something. Yup, got a repair job going. 

A door that was sealed up needs work.  Inside, it was made into curio with glass shelves and sliding glass doors, holding glassed in their bar, in the den. Outside, someone thought it was a good idea to stick a couple pieces of paperboard on the bottom with a little caulk. The board had lifted from the bottom and warped causing damage to the door. 

After inspecting, measuring and contemplating the fix, we went to Home Depot and got a replacement piece of wood, caulking and paint. Had lunch at Golden Corral and came home.  All of which, has to be done behind decorative security bars, which are bolted into her brick wall. 

I spent a couple of hours removing the damaged material, scraping and brushing off the dirt, flaking paint, wood, and caulk, then, re-caulked the whole door, and painted the lower part of the door and the replacement piece, that will cover the damage from the paperboard, which still had the UPC sticker on it, painted over many times. Lol. 

Tomorrow, I have to be up early to take the car in for a checkup, then I’ll get back to fixing the door/wall. 

Wow, everyone seems to be busy too.....

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Annarchy said:

I had hoped to take it easy. But

Yeah, famous last words.....as they say.  I am taking it easy today......  :hidingsmile:......so far.  The used-to-be door project sounds simple enough - - - EXCEPT FOR WORKING AROUND SECURITY BARS!  :wacko:  You and your dh are good to his mom and she sounds like she's very appreciative.  It really helps when they make it easy to help them!  Sometimes it's like stacking sand to try to help the elders.....askmehowIknow....  :buttercup: 

I wish I had the energy to do what you do, Miki.  You've always got interesting projects going on each day.  Me....I'm just trying to dodge the :twister3:  stuff all the time! 

MtRider  :reading:  :bev:  :pc_coffee:  :cakeslice:   ...I did make MidWest Diner Breakfast this morning. 

Thanks, Mt_R, my mom used to say that, all the time. 

I didn’t want to get up this morning, waited until the last minute.  Got out the door by 6:30 and to the dealership by 6:45. I was 3rd in line.  Took the curtesy shuttle home, by then mom was awake. Got my car back around 10:30 and started back to work on her door. I had to make sure all the cracks were sealed, it took two big tubes of caulk. It’s done and I have a greater appreciation for the person who painted her bars. My jeans will never be the same. 

Sweet dreams everyone. ? 

15E02B11-A939-4C8E-B051-9B6A9A7AF98D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TY Midnight Mom.  From one Y2K leftover to another!  I got my seeds fermenting now.  Bananas are drying in the dehydrator.  Took tomatoes & sweet banana peppers, along with 2 lbs of WISCONSIN cheese (as requested from our trip) to a friend.  Got the new belt on the lawn mower deck, so Mary could go cut a neighbor's hayfield.  It turned into a lawn, much to the delight of her 10 year old son.  Around here kids don't play in tall grass, its too hard to see the snakes.  I guess we made up for the last two days of relative 'wheel-spinning' and actually got several things done at once!  The kitty is home and doing OK, though she does not like being given medicine.  I'm sore from the physical therapy after missing a week and a half.  Gotta call back on Monday and make new appointments - I forgot to do it while I was there.  

Tomorrow we try (as best as we can) to sleep in, then off to sew tote bags in the local college team colors.  Homecoming is coming up...

• Like 2

I love all of the pictures! I'm so far behind in this thread. Computer issues and Kindle is so difficult to use. But I do appreciate all of the posts and everyone sharing their life here.

Giving everyone a BIG hug. Kindle won't let me do the smilies here. They have their own set and it ends looking like an empty box on here. I'm gonna try it again and see.....?

Nest around your chair?  Oh my, that's what mine looks like.  :24:

Thanks Twilight. My back makes me take breaks whether I want to or not. I hate getting pressure from D-ex and son about moving. I'm doing the best I can. I get a little snippy because they are the ones that left me with a mess. Well, not totally but it's easier to blame them since they aren't here to hear it.   :P

Yep, the smiley up above is a blank box. It was supposed to be a big yellow grin. It's probably user error but I really don't want to learn anything new for awhile.   :D

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Nest around your chair?  Oh my, that's what mine looks like.  :24:

Thanks Twilight. My back makes me take breaks whether I want to or not. I hate getting pressure from D-ex and son about moving. I'm doing the best I can. I get a little snippy because they are the ones that left me with a mess. Well, not totally but it's easier to blame them since they aren't here to hear it.   :P

Yep, the smiley up above is a blank box. It was supposed to be a big yellow grin. It's probably user error but I really don't want to learn anything new for awhile.   :D

I see one big grin in your last post and 3 different smileys in this one.  Maybe it's just your Kindle showing them as a blank box...