MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Rain, mist, chilly, cloudy...just a pooey day!  Tomorrow is VOTE day and the weather is supposed to be nice, however Thursday they're calling for rain/snow.  But...it's that time of year. Our really cold weather doesn't usually begin until around Christmas and runs through February. Me and Abby-girl just hung out together...but...I did slip off a kitchen chair and scared the dickens out of her and me.  She was laying at my feet and I barely missed stumbling onto her.  Result...left ribs painful...Abby-girl...just fine. Another couple who just purchased a home had hubby come take a look and want estimates for some things they want done.  Probably going to run a credit check on them first though since we don't know them from adam.

• Like 2

I'm going to go vote tomorrow and while I'm out I have some quick errands to run. One not so quick will be going to try to find a winter coat/jacket. I don't have one. Sheeesh. I just remembered we have a Burlington Coat Factory up the road. Plus TJMaxx, Sears, Penneys and that other one like TJMaxx that I can't remember the name of. Surely I'll find something. I'm sort of picky when it comes to my jackets. They have to be roomy, cover my butt, have those wind cuffs in the sleeves and have a fur lines hood. Oh, and pockets and a zipper. I prefer black or navy blue. 

It's cold and rainy and windy here today. I still haven't had a chance to mow yet. I can see my curtains move little bit. Tomorrow I'll get some plastic and tape them up.

The handle broke off in my toilet last night. I need to swing by wally world and pick up another one. Might as well get two. The other one is just like it so will probably be breaking soon too. I know how to fix it if I'm just strong enough to get the nut off. 

• Like 2

Its been a busy couple of days.  Mary & I went out on Nov 1st to pick up some badly needed groceries & she went into a car dealership "just to look".  We ended up bringing home a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab, red with black trim.  Traded in my 2006 Dodge Caravan and she got a good deal. 

Yesterday I was in Macon doing tests for the neurologist - unpleasant ones involving electric stimulation and needles, then two MRIs.  All day the car dealership was "blowing up" the phone because the insurance hadn't yet transferred from the Dodge to the pickup.  Fixed that today. 

We voted then witnessed a nasty crash as an older driver exited the polling place and was struck by a passing pickup truck.  Debris all over the place!  So out of the van we jumped (well as much as two old ladies can jump, lol) and started directing traffic around the mess until the officer that was there could get backup.  (All I could think of was that someone else was going to crash in all the confusion, so SOMEBODY had to clear things up. ) 

We sure got some quizzical looks from the motorists, but my old cop attitude (and Mary's drill sergeant) kicked in and they were too intimidated to NOT obey the old lady with a cane and the other one with the baseball cap.  After the emts arrived,  a couple of troopers came and took over the traffic control. 

My word, as I get older, they look younger & younger..these fellas looked around 12 years old! LOL.  The on-scene sheriff's deputy was OK with it after we ran up and I self-identified as a retired trooper and said we'd handle traffic until he got more hands on deck.  Hadn't played in traffic for quite a few years, so it was kinda fun in a way.    There were lots of voters today, but not unexpected we have a hot Governors race going down here.  
After all that unexpected excitement we went home for a pancake brunch, then a nap.  We will stay up to watch the election returns so I will make oven fried chicken for dinner (party food).

The autumn garden has given us our first gifts - a nice mess of green beans, a good picking of fresh spinach (eggs Florentine for breakfast, YUM - the rest dehydrated for later), some assorted bell and sweet long peppers, and some picture perfect and delicious radishes.  They are so much sweeter in the fall - I suspect warm weather makes them hotter.  Broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, collards and cabbages are steadily coming right along.  I don't see why more folks around here don't do fall gardens.  We're sure having fun with ours!

We have a new puppy as well - one of our newest dogs (8 months) came into her first heat and became quite the little flirt..  She delivered a very cute little brindle colored baby and is an excellent mother, which is a wonderful relief.  One of the cats got too close and she nipped him...he is in shock, but keeps his distance now!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

Changed the bed sheets a bit ago, but put a wool blanket between the memory foam gel mattress and bottom sheet.  It's getting colder and this keeps our bed nice and toasty.  In summer our memory foam is nice and cool when we remove the wool blanket. We like it so well we have one here, one in the travel trailer and one in Miss B.  We put them over our regular mattresses.  Sometimes it's hard to get mattress straps secured but we get it done!  

• Like 1

I'm going to Indy to see 'you-know-who' today. I'll probably be back some time Monday night. No matter how far in advance I know I'm going I still have last minute running around to do. Time really escapes me these days. Sigh.

I do have most of the Jeep loaded down though. I put a bunch of boxes of stuff in there and forgot about leaving room for my suitcase. I'm going to take Gofish's advise and stow a grandma bag over there. Uh duh, I could leave it at my own house. :icon19:

We have some snow on the ground this morning. Not ready for that either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

May have already mentioned part of this...but...going to start.  Yesterday we bought turkeys at Aldis for 78c a pound, limit 2.  Then Sav-A-Lot had them for 69c per pound if you bought 25$ worth of groceries...so we picked up some more chickens and some beef.  Today we went back to Aldis and they had turkeys for 59c a pound so we picked up 2 more (limit).  Then Aldis advertised butter and eggs on sale, so we went back and bought some more eggs and some more butter to put back...and picked up 2 more turkeys.  Went to Woods because they were having a canned good sale, 25c a can so we bought 3 flats of green beans, 1 flat of peas and 1 flat of corn.  Then on their pick 5 for $25 we stocked up on some more ground beef and beef chunks for stews.  Also picked up some pineapple juices to mix our Beet Powder in (for our breakfast drink).  Also filled both vehicles with gas since it dropped so drastically.  Bottom line?  We're stocked up for the rest of the winter.  Other than bread I don't think we'd even need to step out the door. 

• Like 2

Well I'm back home again....but plan to go back to my folks' on Monday aft.  Mebbe.  I'm coming to the end of my ability to "be a part of the solution - not a part of the problem".  <_<  

I have a Koa story that was quite startling.  I'd returned home just overnite on Tuesday this week cuz my 18 yr old kitty was dying.  I was so sad that I didn't quite make it home before she passed.  :(   Now there is an empty spot a the foot of my bed where a kitty used to be.  :sigh:  I'm trying not to think about it....  

So DH had the job of burying my cat.  We're high in the Rockies and our ground has already frozen hard.  He was able to dig out some...then wait for sun to warm in the hole...then dug deep enough.  Koa was nearby with him during this process.  She sniffed cat when he brought her out and placed her in deep in the hole.  Animals KNOW, of course.  But then the strangest thing happened.  DH began to shovel dirt into the hole and Koa SNARL-BARKED rather savagely at him.  He stopped immediately to calm her.  Somehow, she did NOT think he should be dumping dirt on top of her lil' buddy.  ?? :scratchhead:??  He was able to proceed and finish with no further interference from Koa.  Yes....she too, feels the loss.  :(  

It will help Koa that both of us will be home the next couple days.  We're still not back to normal....  :shrug:   I need rather a LOT of resting...some of which I can get at my folks'....

MtRider  ....anyone else have animal reactions-to-death story? 

• Sad 1
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Midnightmom said:

We need pictures! 

1. Of the new truck
  2. Of you directing traffic with your cane in hand
  3. Of your new puppy
  4. Of your fall garden

:thumbs: :hapydancsmil:  :hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil:

I have to say, but no pics of this old copper directing traffic via cane....at least not that I know of(lol).  But here are the others.  

we picked today - a few sweet banana peppers, a few small bell peppers, a few green beans.  (They are about finished as they hate the cold.  But we got a couple of good meals from them, and we'll let them make seed pods now for next year.) Meanwhile I picked more spinach, a couple heads of romaine lettuce, and grabbed up the kale thinnings which were a nice saute size - bigger than baby greens, but far from full grown).  We also thinned carrots.  Tonight we will have to cover the garden as we will have some freezing weather (30 to 32 degrees) so we have tarps ready.  We want to see how long we can keep the garden producing, since we have not yet purchased the "low tunnels" that so many folks use to go through the winter (waiting for tax refund to get those).  

We took Christmas inventory, too and are planning our yard display. We finally have more yard than decorations, so I have to keep Mary OUT of the Christmas decoration aisles, at least until the post Christmas sales, LOL.  The pics are a little out of order, puppy was supposed to be last, and I hav eno idea how I got two, but better than NOT getting pics posted....

IMG_3590.JPGIMG_3588.thumb.JPG.e88a851f884c67fc0fc7d72827c81be1.JPGIMG_3588.thumb.JPG.e88a851f884c67fc0fc7d72827c81be1.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6

Love to see gardening pics!  :yum3:  And cute little baby! 

I feel like a bag of wet cement today.  Already had to deal with dog puke [hurried her out the back door after the first 'deposit'].  And malfunctioning Bissel Green Machine.  Great device if you have animals with accidents on carpet.  But now it won't spray the water...so I just poured and the suction action still works.  Well, we've gotten YEARS worth of use from it. 

So goes my REST day...  but now I've been laying in bed ....on computer.  'Bout to take a nap.  Found out I've lost 8 pounds in these past 3 wks of caring for my folks.  Should I say that it takes a LOT outta ya?  :0327:  But I'm sure not complaining about the loss.  :thumbs: 

MtRider :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1

Sorry about your loss MtR. Our dogs moped around the house after loosing 2 ferrets. :sigh:

Started digging out the neighbors tortoise den. They dug under their fence, at least 6’ into our yard, up to the house. I don’t want a sink hole opening up or water to fill it up and molding, and, if it goes under our fountain, I may need a professional to fix & fill it in. 3 shovel loads into the job and I sprained my right wrist. I kept going because the job needs to be done. About 3 1/2 feet deep I hit the tunnel, covered the hole with a pallet and quit for the day. 

Yesterday, we took a friend out target practicing, then made ribs, beans and rice & an apple cinnamon puff pastry desert. His wife came over later and we ended the day around the fire pit. 

Today, my wrist is aggravated from practicing. It is what it is. This too shall pass. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider  ....anyone else have animal reactions-to-death story?  

One of our cats lost a kitten to a recliner accident - he got underneath and we didn't know he was there in the mechanism.  We were beside ourselves.  When we were going to bury the little one, we stopped to let momma (who had been mourning for it for hours) see it one last time. She lay down beside it, loved on it, got up, called to it a couple times, and when it did not respond, came back and washed it all over.  Sat by its side for a while.  Then, goodbyes said, she let us take it.  

Our chihuahua mourned the loss of his long time companion when she died at age 12.  He laid on the mat they had shared for TV watching, leaving only to go potty, waiting for her return.  We were not sure he would not die of loneliness, even though we have other pets galore.  After a few months he started interacting with the rest of us again, but it was not until we got our new chihuahuas that he really perked up.  They were 12 weeks old and although he grumbled when they were rambunctious around him, he also played with them and watched over them.  

You cant tell me animals don't know what death is, and feel the loss.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

So DH had the job of burying my cat.  We're high in the Rockies and our ground has already frozen hard.  He was able to dig out some...then wait for sun to warm in the hole...then dug deep enough.  Koa was nearby with him during this process.  She sniffed cat when he brought her out and placed her in deep in the hole.  Animals KNOW, of course.  But then the strangest thing happened.  DH began to shovel dirt into the hole and Koa SNARL-BARKED rather savagely at him.  He stopped immediately to calm her.  Somehow, she did NOT think he should be dumping dirt on top of her lil' buddy.  ??

Perhaps you might want to watch a video of what happened to Tommy Alderman (youtube...Alderman Farm) when his LGD turned on him over a dead baby pig...???

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I'd returned home just overnite on Tuesday this week cuz my 18 yr old kitty was dying.  I was so sad that I didn't quite make it home before she passed.  :(   Now there is an empty spot a the foot of my bed where a kitty used to be.  :sigh:  I'm trying not to think about it....  

Golly...having a furbaby for 18 years and then not having it.  I can't imagine how you are feeling...but...I'm sure you have some wonderful memories that belong only to you and your household. :bighug2:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, kappydell said:

The pics are a little out of order,

You two have done an amazing amount of work in just a short time! Your garden is impressive and your pup is adorable!!! I guess we will have to use our imaginations about what you looked like while directing traffic though.  

:24:   2110335869_directingtraffic.JPG.30f76fd85b1f389b55c3ec0d438716c7.JPG  :bow:

• Haha 4

Your garden is wonderful Kappy. And that puppy....squeeeee.  :wub:

I had a great visit in Indy. I took over a Jeep load with me. I came home a day early because of Veterans Day. Sigh. The license branch is supposed to be open until noon on Saturday but they closed for Veterans Day. So I said no problem, I'll go Monday. Uh no, Monday is their normal day to be closed and it's also the real Veterans Day. Tuesday was the first day I could have taken the test so I decided to wait for a couple of weeks and go after Thanksgiving but before Christmas.

At least I can do Christmas shopping and have it over there in case the weather is bad in December. Also, I have a terrible sore throat right now and my ears are itchy. I really feel lousy so I wanted to be home...and not spread any crud I might have.

My eyes need tested too so I can get that done. I'm surprised I passed the eye test the last time.

I got a short video of grandson saying, "I love you Grandma (my first name)." I bawled. :blush:

I stopped by McDonalds on the way home and got an cold mocha frappe for my throat but it didn't help. If it isn't better by Tuesday I guess I'll call the doctor. Don't know what they can do though because I'm allergic to all the antibiotics I've tried. I hope it isn't strep.

• Sad 3

:lol:  You sure found a dilly of a picture, Midnight!  :grinning-smiley-044:  

Jeepers, glad you had a good, but short visit.  Hope you get over the crud before you need a doctor!!  :pray:  

We had snow.  Not a lot.  Just rather persistent.  Nonetheless, I didn't get in on much sweeping til I had to go down to feed.  I'd planned to walk, actually, cuz my old truck hadn't been started during the 3 wks I'd been gone.  DH didn't even THINK of that.  He was at work today so I'd be doing evening feeding.  But our dear neighbor-friend called to say his snowplow is fixed and he'd come to plow our inches.  Light fluffy inches. 

So I swept my way down stairs and off the truck.  Yes, the truck started.  :cheer:  Warmed it up and got lotta ice off windshield.  Drove it down the hill [forgot to put into 4-wheel and must turn the hubs on the wheels to engage it....so I just crept down hill hoping I wouldn't slide...didn't] .  Tied dog out to bark at a quickly retreating coyote.  I did ducks and was then using a broom to make wide sweeping motions at the gate to the horse pasture........

Sudden PAIN nearly drove me to my knees!  Wha...???  :scratchhead:  It was a light broom and light, fluffy snow!  How did that pop my back...hip...whatever????  I usually don't have trouble with my back.  What's with this?????  W drove in with snowplow and stopped to see if I was alright...since I was clinging to the fence.  I backed into the heavy chain [gate for horse pen] and LEANED into it for a bit.  Very low in back...top of pelvic bone.  Seemed to ease the pain.  If I stood very straight and didn't twist to either side, I was able to walk and lift the hay...couple flakes at a time.  Finished with horses and even CAREFULLY walked dog on level road in front of our place.  Short walk....kept yelling "GENTLE!!"  cuz she does love zipping about when it's snowing.  :bounce:    Then she had to greet her friend W....  He finished the driveway and waited to see that I got inside up at the house.  Wheeeeew!  This hurts!

DH...the chiro...gave me instructions over the phone from work to lay on his "SOT blocks" on the floor.  They are wedges that use simple gravity to let something sort of clunk back into place.  It helped a little.  He also said he'd noted that when someone has been using adrenaline for a while, the Sacral -whatever joint often slips out.  Yeah....the one that just slipped out on me.  Why? What's the connection?  He didn't know.  Just had noted that pattern in patients over the decades....  :shrug: 

I let my folks know their assistant is now REALLY on sick leave.  They were sorry for me and assured me that they were doing ok.  DH now has more time off and can assist with grocery runs, etc.  But I think they'll be ok. 

MtRider ..... :hidingsmile:What next?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I've seen them mourn.  My cat Paco sort of adopted a buddy, Ocho, who was not being treated right at home.  (I guess they couldn't afford to treat his flea allergies or his fleas, poor thing.)  So we sort of adopted him too.  Ocho died in the road.  Paco leaned against walls, staring blankly at nothing, for months.

• Sad 3
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, Midnightmom said:

ROFL!  This is pretty close, just imagine trousers and a T-shirt and there you go!  

:24:   2110335869_directingtraffic.JPG.30f76fd85b1f389b55c3ec0d438716c7.JPG  :bow:

Yesterday (Sat) we met one of our closer neighbors.  When we were planting our garden, a woman pulled up in her car and told us she was diabetic (...and...?) and if we had any 'spare' tomatoes she would like some.  Offered to pay us.  Mary told her we'd have to see how they did this year, since we were not putting in a huge garden.  Well today, we met her spouse.  Mary had been mowing the lawn, and as is her habit, when she does the ditch line she does the neighbors' ditch line as well, if the lots are unoccupied, or if the cabin is closed up.  Next door are two empty lots, so she mowed the ditch line near them also, to keep things looking tidy.  Most of our seasonal neighbors have been appreciative to get the little extra help.  

Yesterday when she got back from mowing, we were working on some yard chores, when a white car pulled up and a rather large, truculent man got out, walked up to Mary and got in her face, telling her "Last time I was nice, this time I'm telling you not to mow my property.  We bought it, we are not renters, and we don't want anyone on it.  
Stay off the property. "  He was clearly angry, and a little threatening (nothing overt, just gave off nasty vibes) and after we gaped at him, Mary said "I forgot, I'm sorry, it won't happen again" and he stomped off and drove away.

Now the big reveal...she told me HE and his wife were the ones our other neighbor down the road told her stole our tomatoes right out of the garden when we were gone for a weekend visit to Wisconsin.   Hmmmmm.  We will ignore that stuff (it would have been easy to say something smart-alecky, BUUUUUUUT we both know to pick our battles, and we don't need a war with a neighbor right now.  He will be on our watch list though, especially if the SHTF, because he will undoubtedly be the first one to start making demands (or stealing), sad to say.  Glad he revealed his character to us, but sad that he lives so close.  At least there are two vacant lots between us, but he owns them both.

I wonder if we will have border disputes when we start cutting trees near the property line?

• Sad 3

Wow Kappydell, that’s not nice of them. Sounds like one of my neighbors. It’s rather sad people feel the need to be that way. 

Today is house cleaning day, again. We did a quickie job on Friday because of company.  

Watering the lawn now, leaves the ground muddy and the boys just have to run through it, leaving muddy tracks throughout the house. Then, Gunny loves to find the powdered dirt and rolls in it, but waits to shake off until he comes in, dusting everything around him. Not the type of ‘dusting’ I want. Now, it’s my turn to do the ‘dusting’. :grinning-smiley-044:

DH has thrown my schedule off, he got up at 6am to turn on the heater. Yeah, it was a little cold in the house, around 65. Then, he stayed up. Usually he doesn’t get up until after noon, giving me quite time. 

Gotta get back to my chores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People like that are skeeery, Kappy.  Many are just loud-mouthed and nothing else.  But some, under the impression that they own the world and must grind down others...can be actually dangerous.  Sad, tortured souls but....yeah, keep a wary eye out for those.  Perhaps some security cameras for "extra eyes"?

MtRider  ....not much better this morning.  I yelped as I sneezed!  Nasty!  :groooansmileyf:

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, kappydell said:

Yesterday (Sat) we met one of our closer neighbors.  When we were planting our garden, a woman pulled up in her car and told us she was diabetic (...and...?) and if we had any 'spare' tomatoes she would like some.  

:shrug: :behindsofa: :busted:

• Haha 2