MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Whew....feeling ah, better tonite.  DH gave me adjustment this morning.  I rested and then CAREFULLY did evening chores well before dark.  Our temps are supposed to plummet tonite ....possibly below zero.  :frozen:   But the CAREFUL moving around seems to have loosened this injury up a bit.  :amen: 

MtRider ....still don't want to sneeze  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

People like that are skeeery, Kappy.  Many are just loud-mouthed and nothing else.  But some, under the impression that they own the world and must grind down others...can be actually dangerous.  Sad, tortured souls but....yeah, keep a wary eye out for those.  Perhaps some security cameras for "extra eyes"?

Yep.  I was stressing about it, but decided to pray for him and his wife (and family if he hasn't driven them away) that they find peace, joy and fulfillment in their lives.  I suspect he is very unhappy or he would not project his problems that way, suspecting others of whatever nebulous thing fears.  Feel sorry for his wife.  After I turned it over to God, I just let it go.  But we will be getting some cameras when we can swing it.  

I was LOL over the seed catalog I was reading today (planning next years' garden).  some of the kale I am looking at has survived below zero temps (!?!).  So I guess it will over winter here, where the rock bottom coldest it gets is 20 degrees.  Went to my doc today and took her some greens I picked yesterday - spinach, romaine lettuce, some kale, a sweet banana pepper and a lone radish (gotta plant more)- for a salad.  She always loves the fresh stuff, but was surprised when we told her we had more planted and coming along for later.  Apparently most folks do not do winter gardens, except for real gardening die hards (none of which live near us). What a pity - good luck trying to find decent fresh stuff in the store.  (Then try to afford it!)  

We are working on our Christmas decorations now, while it is rainy, testing lights, and the like.  We have laid out where the landing lights will be for Santa's sleigh and Santa's airplane, and where the packaging area (elves & boxes) will be.  We have to lay out "kringle logistics" all over again, since it moved to larger headquarters....and make a new sign....

IMG_1454.JPG

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, kappydell said:

Yep.  I was stressing about it, but decided to pray for him and his wife (and family if he hasn't driven them away) that they find peace, joy and fulfillment in their lives.  I suspect he is very unhappy or he would not project his problems that way, suspecting others of whatever nebulous thing fears.  Feel sorry for his wife.  After I turned it over to God, I just let it go. 

:amen:  Very good way to deal with that encounter!  .....but also install security cameras if you can.  Wise as serpents and innocent/harmless as doves... [Matt 10:16] 

MtRider .....assume that snow isn't a pic from your current home?  :santa: 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Sounds like my one neighbor, Kappy. My best tactic so far is to totally ignore them. I won't even make eye contact with them. When people show you who they are...believe them!

No tomatoes for them. 

Unless you can aim straight Kappy! :24:

• Haha 2

If you are a leaker like me, go pee before you read this adventure....I'll wait.....Ok, here we go.

Our black & white aussie (Jack) is a pigheaded little cuss, but we love him all the same, because we are a house full of stubborn cusses.  But we never would have wished  for him discover that he should not be sticking his head in the dishwasher while we load it in quite this way....we decided to call it "How Captain Jack Became Crashin' Jack"

I was loading the dishwasher last night.  Jack is always attentive; he wants to lick the plates clean, while I prefer to rinse them before I load it.  After numerous admonishments..."No, Jack, get outta there" ….I was getting weary of the refrain, so I was concentrating on loading as efficiently as I could just to get It done.  

Suddenly I look down and see Jack has his head in the dishwasher again...he sees me looking...he tried to pull his head out of there...his collar catches on the dish drawer...and crash! bang!  off he goes in a panic, dragging the bouncing (and fully loaded) dish tray behind him, jumping and shaking in a frenzy as he tried to free himself of the very scary (and NOISY) thing that had him in its clutches.  

Of course, it is 3:00 am and Mary is in bed.  I usually load just before I go to bed so it can be clean in the morning.  

Mary comes flying out in time to see Jack shake loose (dishes, silverware, pots & pans flying) and run into his safe spot, his kennel.  (She thought I had fallen down in a pile of broken glass or something.)  We recovered all of the scattered dishes, nothing broke except one pot lid handle.  An easy fix.  Mary went back to bed, I replaced everything.  Jack sat in his kennel, as bug eyed as I've ever seen him.  He would NOT come out and go near me while I was loading that....nefarious..... dishwasher...…!

I let him out to go pee afterward, and sat on the porch with him a while, reassuring him that I was not mad at him for the craziness, but reminding him to keep his head out of the dishwasher from now on (and trying to keep from laughing at the whole situation). This morning he is a little subdued and clingy.  I haven't opened the dishwasher yet, but it should be interesting to see if he learned anything the hard way.

And that is how Captain Jack became Crashin' Jack (snicker, snicker, snicker).

Edited by kappydell
  • Haha 6

:coffeescreen:     :24:     :008Laughing:   I could just SEE that...at 3am. 

Oh my....I hope that makes a lasting impression on CJ!  When Koa was just a baby, she got her collar stuck.  Laying down on our slatted porch, the dog tag slid betweeen the boards and turned.  When she tried to get up, it went tight and of course she didn't think to lay back down.  PULLING AND HOW-W-WLING AND CRYING FOR HELP!  It's GOT ME!!!!  Poor baby.  I just took the collar off cuz she wasn't getting near whatever had her pinned.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Our critters sure do provide entertainment and aggravation, huh?

MtRider  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Haha 3
On 11/12/2018 at 4:50 AM, kappydell said:

Yesterday (Sat) we met one of our closer neighbors.  When we were planting our garden, a woman pulled up in her car and told us she was diabetic (...and...?) and if we had any 'spare' tomatoes she would like some.  Offered to pay us.  Mary told her we'd have to see how they did this year, since we were not putting in a huge garden.  Well today, we met her spouse.  Mary had been mowing the lawn, and as is her habit, when she does the ditch line she does the neighbors' ditch line as well, if the lots are unoccupied, or if the cabin is closed up.  Next door are two empty lots, so she mowed the ditch line near them also, to keep things looking tidy.  Most of our seasonal neighbors have been appreciative to get the little extra help.  

Yesterday when she got back from mowing, we were working on some yard chores, when a white car pulled up and a rather large, truculent man got out, walked up to Mary and got in her face, telling her "Last time I was nice, this time I'm telling you not to mow my property.  We bought it, we are not renters, and we don't want anyone on it.  
Stay off the property. "  He was clearly angry, and a little threatening (nothing overt, just gave off nasty vibes) and after we gaped at him, Mary said "I forgot, I'm sorry, it won't happen again" and he stomped off and drove away.

Now the big reveal...she told me HE and his wife were the ones our other neighbor down the road told her stole our tomatoes right out of the garden when we were gone for a weekend visit to Wisconsin.   Hmmmmm.  We will ignore that stuff (it would have been easy to say something smart-alecky, BUUUUUUUT we both know to pick our battles, and we don't need a war with a neighbor right now.  He will be on our watch list though, especially if the SHTF, because he will undoubtedly be the first one to start making demands (or stealing), sad to say.  Glad he revealed his character to us, but sad that he lives so close.  At least there are two vacant lots between us, but he owns them both.

I wonder if we will have border disputes when we start cutting trees near the property line?

How incredibly lucky you are! You don't have to agonize or confer or make any decisions at all.  He has revealed his colors without any prompting.

• Like 1

Most winters it doesn't get below 22 to 24 here, but I have seen recent winters (plus two long ago) where we had single digits for at least a few hours.  I'm kind of anxious about my first winter in the new house, since this edge of the county is supposed to be much colder than the lake side.  My plants will be tough enough, or they won't.

4 hours ago, Ambergris said:

How incredibly lucky you are! You don't have to agonize or confer or make any decisions at all.  He has revealed his colors without any prompting. 

Yup.  He is definitely a "Not Friend".  And yes, its good to know, NOW and not try to guess in a crises.  No favors from us, just common civility.  Period.  (Is common civility an oxymorn?  Like common sense? :scratchhead:   )

Edited by kappydell
  • Haha 1

Hee heee. Cap'n Jack is a hooligan!

I think I might be getting better. Must be a virus of some sort. Usually with the flu i get intestinal upset but I don't have that. Thankfully. Headache, sore throat, muscle ache, bones ache, low grade fever, chills, runny nose, stuffy nose, sneezing, cough and wheezing. If I was a horse...

I never cough so this has me bothered. I also don't wheeze so that's new to me too. I thought I heard the computer making a funny noise and it was me!  Dang.

I have all I need here at home so I don't have to go out. BTW, Theraflu Sore Throat tastes horrible. Tastes like a shot of dog but whiskey.  Oh wow,  look what KIndle auto corrected!  I wrote 👕o-t  g-u-t  whiskey. Now it looks like a tee shirt where it's supposed to say "rot"  

"Rot" "Gut" "Whiskey".  Dog butt whiskey probably wouldn't taste too good either though. 

I give up. I HATE Kindle auto correct. I'm going back to bed.

• Haha 5

Good heavens, Jeepers is really struggling with the auto-correct.  :lol:  dog butt?  Sometimes the auto correct need not be so pompously thinking IT KNOWS WHAT YOU REALLY WANNA SAY....  :coffeescreen:  

Glad to know you're holding on and riding this out.  :pray: 

With all the strain we've been under with my folks and all, DH and I are doing some of our preventative things.   I finally got reconnected to my daily herbs/vitamins....were left at my folks when I only thot I'd be home a couple days.  Then we're also drinking a hot drink with ginger and honey.  I cut down on the ginger [whooo..concentrated/hot]  and added a bit of fresh lemon juice.  Warms you up on a chilly nite. 

Now I've got all my stuff back home...I gotta put it all away.  My back strain is improving a lot each day but still is quite evident.  Taking it easy!

MtRider  :offtobed:

• Like 3

I still feel about the same. My throat isn't as sore so that is a big plus. I'm still coughing (unproductive) and I still wheeze sometimes. That sort of bothers me. I called the doctor today for an appointment and they said the earliest they can see me is next Monday the 19th. I'll either be better or dead by then. Maybe that's what they are counting on. Keep the sick ones out of their office. Yeah, I'm grumpy. D-ex just called and I told him if I feel the need, I'll just go to one of those Ergent-Care type places. I think my insurance covers it. Even if they don't I'll go if I feel like I need to. Actually, I think I'm just being whiney. Wheezy, Whiney, Woman. <_<

I just called my bank in Indy. They forgot to order my checks. Son has been making trips out to the house for over a month looking for them.  This is the third time they have messed me up.

And Wal-Mart won't let me make an eye appointment online. Disgruntled.

Oh, and my snow plow guy hasn't called this year either. I might have to look for another guy. I called him but he hasn't returned my call. I told that to D-ex and he said, "Move." Not a wise choice of words today. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeepers
Still talking
  • Like 2

I buy candied ginger from the Mennonite/Amish stores.  They sell them in air tight containers so I just store them in my freezer, and we usually nibble on 2 or 3 pieces each evening before we go to bed.  Ginger is SOOOOO good for you not to mention warming you up but also quite soothing for a sore throat.

• Like 2

Sheeesh, Jeepers.  Besides being ill, you haven't had anyone cooperative today.  :(  :hug3: 

I'm freeeezing....cuz I fell asleep while on the computer...laying in bed.  Brrrr  Covered up with more fuzzy blankets.  Seem to need a nap before bed.  I'm thinking of the ginger, honey, lemon tea....but that would require getting up from my cocoon. 

MtRider ....unpacked more stuff from being at my folks'  and took a walk with dog/DH this evening. 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Feeling pretty much the same. Just upper respiratory tightness. I've drunk enough hot teas and cold juice to float a battleship. Thanks to the Keurig I've had a good variety of liquid to choose from.

Snow plow guy called today. It's a go for another year at the same price. He is a nice guy and does a great job but he just comes too often $$$. Hopefully next winter I will have a new John Deere with a snow blade at a new residence and I can take care of myself.

It's going to take some time getting used to a much smaller house but having no stairs inside will be so good on my back and knees. The neighbor issue will be resolved when I get out of here too. I've waited 66 years for a forever home so I'm pretty sure I can make it work. I haven't been truly happy and settled in my mind for decades. I'm thinking I'm finally setting down some roots. It's just been a slow process and "others" don't understand why I'm not moving faster.  Oh well, that's their issue to deal with, right?

I think I'll go run some errands today and get the stink blowed off. As my granny used to say. I still need a winter coat and some of those little Cutie type oranges sounds good. Maybe some dark chocolate? I also have a big kitchen bag full of fabric to donate to Sal. Army if they want it. And another bag full of shoes. Some of my unworn shoes became gummy and tacky feeling. And some of my purses fell apart inside. Like the glue didn't hold the lining together. I'm pitching all of those too.

So with my regular trash and Salvation Army, I should be dumping off about 6 kitchen size bags from the house. It's time to recycle my papers so they can get gone too. Now, if the only thing I bring back into the house is a winter coat I'll consider it a successful day.

• Like 4

I'm not feeling well today.  Not ill...I don't think.  :unsure:    I didn't take any Nuprin before bed....thot I was past that.  Uh...mebbe not.  Woke with very sore/spasm in back.  Shooot!  Also must have laid on my R hand in the night....cuz it's still painful.  Just feeling greatly unsettled and on the edge of grumpy.  Don't like being laid up entirely and feeling...helpless.  Hmph!  Think I'll take our preventative immune booster....in case this is the prelude of a Jeepers-type actual illness. 

MtRider  ...blech and no sunshine to cheer this grey day.  Ach, this too shall pass. 

• Sad 2

Mt. Rider and Jeepers!  Hope you are both feeling better soon!

We went thrift shopping today.  Got 24 pint mason jars and a package of wide mouth lids for $6.  Also bought another turkey to bake and freeze after, this one 18 pounds.  Home now and need to dust house and clean baths as well as make a spoon bread for after Church on Sunday.

It's been very cold here!  for SW Mississippi anyway.  Warming up today, so I put the aloe vera back outside until the next extra cold snap.  Harvested the red peppers and left the plants outside as I just don't do well with houseplants.

• Like 1

I hope you are feeling better Mt. Rider! I pray you don't get what I've got. It hangs on. The snow plow guy called and will be plowing again this year. That's good. I fell asleep and didn't get to go do my errands. Whatever, I'm just rolling with the flow. I think the "Dog Butt Whiskey" knocked me out.

Miki, you had a great find with the jars and lids! I'm terrible with house plants too. But I'm going to try again when I get moved, to add some oxygen to my bedroom with a plant or two besides my bed. I think I over water. Kill an with kindness...literally. 

• Like 2

LOL  So we're all gonna have a secret code now:  <dog butt whiskey>.  :rolleyes:  You "sound" better, Jeepers.  Sleep it all away!

Spoon bread sounds good...is it like bread pudding, Miki?  I wish our thrift stores hadn't raised prices beyond Walmart's...  <_<

I'm feeling "better" as this day goes on.  Felt wretched this morning...tho I slept well.  I think I let the back spasm pain get ahead of the Nuprin.  AND all the adrenaline has dropped out the bottom.....which always feels quite dreadful...tho, it isn't fatal.  :buttercup:    But since all defenses seem to be down, I took some immune boost just in case the oportunistic bugs planned an attack.  :grinning-smiley-044:  'Fraid there will be more REST/RECOVERY in my future tho.  Hmph, thot a week would be a goodly long time!  Apparently not. 

DH stopped in at my folks' tonite.  A bit of shopping and worked on my mom's very sore back.  Maybe she'll sleep better tonite.  Otherwise she's been doing well.  Glad he's only working 2 days/wk so he has the time/energy to attend to them....and here too.  He did chores X2...did laundry X2...other stuff before leaving for town.  :0327:  Least I was able to switch laundry loads and make hamburgers and squash for us tonite.  I'm sure he's starving but he's on his way home now.

MtRider .....surviving each day  :pray: 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Spoon bread sounds good...is it like bread pudding, Miki? 

Ambergris is exactly right!  It is easy and fast to make and since everyone likes it at Church, that is what I bring to most everything.  I always keep plenty of the ingredients on hand.

I'm off to keep my friend company at the little store today.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1