MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On 11/16/2018 at 11:59 AM, Jeepers said:

It's just been a slow process and "others" don't understand why I'm not moving faster.  Oh well, that's their issue to deal with, right?

I know there's lot of our family and friends who wonder why we haven't gotten the new bathroom completed and us moved to the homestead...but as you said...it is what it is?

• Like 3

Son brought us over a case of blueberries that he got when he went to the food pantry and put in an order for blueberry jam...so I got started on it pretty early and just made blueberry refrigerator jam and took it over to him.  Just did a small batch because I wanted to use Instant Clear Gel.  Told him he'd have to keep it refrigerated.  Wanna see? 

101_0845.JPG

• Like 3

Did make another trip to Save-A-Lot to pick up 6 more pounds of unsalted butter...it's on sale for $2.49 a pound which is CHEAP around here.  Also took a drive to one of our favorite Amish/Mennonite stores to pick up some more honey, coconut oil and some herbs...Calendula, Marshmallow, and a few others.  Also some more Lemon and Orange Essential Oil.  I love the Lemon in my homemade fabric softener.  Yesterday I grated up some more homemade laundry powder, but I made a quick trip to WM to pick up a box of Zote flakes!  I really don't like hand grating my soap :-)  Already had all the other stuff.  Really thought we had all our shopping done for a month or so but when things are on sale how can you resist? 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Yesterday I grated up some more homemade laundry powder, but I made a quick trip to WM to pick up a box of Zote flakes!  I really don't like hand grating my soap :-)  Already had all the other stuff. 

OH...that's what I need to do today.  Brought all my Biz, Oxyclean, Fels Napha bar, washing soda, etc upstairs after the last load yesterday.  I might could squeeze one more load out of what's left ...already mixed.  But it doesn't take long. 

Didn't even know that make Zote in flakes.  Never have seen that in our limited stores.  But I use my "salad slicer/grater" attachment  to our Family grain grinder and I don't have to worry about scraped knuckles.  I'd have to wear steel gloves if I tried it that way.  Goes pretty fast...tho I run the soap thru the grater twice.  Then mix with the dry ingredients.  Washing the grater is easy cuz....it's soap!  But I do use the scrubbing brush and not stick my hand in that sharp thing.

Have sunshine today.  :)  I'm feeling even better today.  Just need to be EXTRA careful now....cuz THIS is the time when we re-injure.  When you aren't being reminded by pain to NOT DO THAT!  :rolleyes:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Canning looks yummy!!!

Funny how we all start thinking of the same thing at the same time. I was just thinking about making some laundry soap too. I got a nice big jar at Old Time Pottery a couple.of weeks ago. I was going to wait until I move but I think I'm going ahead and make it up and tape the jar closed with duct tape. I got my flakes at Wal-Mart. I like them because they are white and already...flaked. I'm going to make the detergent instead of the liquid goop right now because of storage issues. 

I still feel about the same. Sometimes I think should cancel the doctor appointment but as soon as I do I'll probably get sicker. I'm going to go ahead and go. It will give me a chance to get out and get my errands done and maybe, finally, get a winter coat. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Didn't even know that make Zote in flakes.  Never have seen that in our limited stores

I buy it at WalMart in the diaper-type soaps...not where you find the bar laundry soaps etc.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm going to make the detergent instead of the liquid goop right now because of storage issues. 

The liquid goop is discusting to me...and requires stirring etc., each time you get ready to use it.   I find the powder does a better job of cleaning, especially on his work clothes.

4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

It will give me a chance to get out and get my errands done and maybe, finally, get a winter coat. 

...and get yourself some natural Vitamin D from the sun girl!  I have to take the supplement once in awhile because I'm not getting out like I should.  When I find myself not wanting to even wash dishes etc., I know I need some extra D.  I think my Abby-girl needs to get out more often too.  Saturday we spent some time in her "big yard" and I played "cat and mouse" with her and boy did she run, run, run!  So funny to see her cutting corners around the Mulberry tree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is an interesting and useful article about how to charge electronic device batteries.  Anyone know if this data is accurate for this era of batteries?  Reading the comments [click on button] .....many disaggree but who is right? 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/phone-plugged-overnight/

Edited by Mt_Rider

I've been told that you shouldn't let the batteries go all the way dead before charging them because they have a set number of cycles they can be recharged and each 'dead recharge cycle' shortens the life of the battery. The opposite was true back in the olden days.

I went to the doctor today. I have an upper respiratory infection. No flu or pneumonia or heart issues. I was concerned about heart problems because of the cough and wheezing. She said she just heard a little wheezing that will probably move along when the coughing stops. I wasn't sure if I should still go to the doctor or not. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting better and sometimes I don't. Since I have allergic reactions to antibiotics she gave me some steroids to take. I'm getting them filled but not sure if I'll take the evil little pills. Maybe give it another day or two?      

It wasn't all a loss though because I got my last pneumonia shot. Can't take them after 65 but since I got the last one a year ago and you need 2 they went ahead and gave me the second one. I think I have that correct. Hurt like crazy and will hurt worse in the next couple of days. I still need 2 shingle shots but its hard to find a pharmacy who has them. I know they will cause a sore arm too so I might wait until after Christmas.

I forgot to run errands.

Glad you went in, Jeepers.  Steroids are ...very handy if you can't shake something.  Have a lot of different affects on folks tho.  Hope you'll get better soon.  Ya gots things to do!  And you don't want to be doing TOO MUCH before you're realllllly over this thing.  ;)

Twilight..is there a reason or just preference for boiling in milk?

I wasn't a ball of energy today but felt ok.  Back is coming along. Having phone issues again.  I think it's this immediate region but I can't dial the exchange for my folks and their area.  Yet I can dial DH's work in the same small town.  Different first 3 digits tho.  Additionally...no, not the same issue... our cordless phone is periodically whacking out.  I'll happen to glance down and see "no line" where "Handset 1" should be.  <_<   So I switch to the old Princess corded phone and later, the other phone will work again.  I think we need a new cordless set. 

We got up to 60* today.  :darlenedance:  Cherish the moments.....cuz nights are quite cold.  Cherish the Vit D!  I've stopped the 'itchy' seasonal-affective-symptoms by allowing sunshine into my eyes, especially in the fall  each year.  [take off my ever-present sunglasses]

AND I've been reading about the low levels of Vit D and the relationship to MS.  We've know for a while but some studies even count low levels of Vit D during 1st trimester of pregnancy and increased chance of the baby getting MS.  Such as: 1st trimester being during winter months when northern latitudes are all bundled up.  Yeah...my birth month fits that theory.  Very much a drop in MS in places globally that have lots of sunshine....tropical places.  :knary:   They've always known that [er...within my time of researching it, that is] but didn't know why.  Now they have birth month correlations too.  So...Vit D pills or sunshine for pregnant moms?  Test for Vit D deficiency? 

They also have a study about particulate matter and MS:o   You all have heard me talk of bronchial trouble with particulate matter for years.  THIS is new to me.  So they think pollen count or dust or ... can trigger an MS relapse.  I don't have relapsing type of MS but I sure do get KNOCKED FLAT with the seasonal Fall Fatigue Thing.  Is it really the change in seasons/weather/temperatures as we've always assumed?  Or does the particulate [pollen/dust] count go up here in my local area?  Whole 'nother critter.  It would mean I need to take off the sunglasses B)  and be sure to wear an N95.  I have been wearing one frequently this fall due to our arid, DUSTY conditions....and then I stayed 'in town' and almost exclusively in the house for 3 wks.  I can't say that I've had the Fall Fatigue....mebbe a little before my stay in town.  [but that's ancient history in my brain at this point]

Interesting.  I accidentally happened on these articles.  I haven't researched anything new in MS for years.  Don't know that it changes anything now...since I already am aware of the Vit D and take supplements.  :shrug:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Today was "practical engineering day" as we started to put up outdoor Christmas decorations for the first time at the new place.  figuring out how to get the plug ins where we want them, calculating amps so we don't blow any fuses or overload a genny, then reconfiguring everything when plan A does not work....practical engineering at its finest, and most frustrating.  

We got a good day's work done though, Santa's airport is set up (runway lights, a sleigh and a fixed wing aircraft) and the small garden shed lights are up.  Tomorrow we do the package depot, and set up the 'wildlife area" (12 foot tall c'hristmas tree, animals, giant snowman, and Santa in his boat) and the front lawn miniature items....little foxes, squirrels, and the white fox will be clustered around the bird bath.  phew,  Then we will be filling in the blanks until Dec 1st "light em up day"  Already Walmart is playing Christmas songs.  Hopefully, after thanksgiving they will mark down the inflatable turkeys - I want one to put atop the shed next November!

We are sore from all the bending, stretching and ladder climbing, but it is a satisfied 'tired'.  

tomorrow we hit it agin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Twilight said:

Jeepers,  Have you tried mullein tea? It is really good for URIs . I boil the leaves in milk. Drink it 3-4 times a day. Always worked for me.

Love Mullein leaf tea and Yarrow ...I keep that stuff REAL handy!  I also add some to our Elderberry syrup as well as Goldenseal root.  All three are wonderful for one's pantry. We buy all of our spices and herbs from the Amish/Mennonite stores.  Maybe check the NOW brands and see if they have the Mullein?

Edited by The WE2's
Added comment.
  • Like 2

Pretty quiet day since I did laundry yesterday which I normally do on Mondays.  Weather is warming up a bit.  Wednesday is supposed to be a really nice day so Mr is going to get the final roof vent on the lady's new bathroom exhaust fan.  Then it's a nice dinner with some friends and son has been invited to come with us so...I'll cook here Friday and he'll have two Thanksgiving dinners ... as will we! :feedme:

• Like 3

The romance between son and the other fizzled out again...two times.  It just wasn't meant to be.  All they did was argue and fuss.  She just moved into his place way too soon.  Totally incompatible as it turned out. I guess some men are just "needy" and feel they have to have a woman to validate themselves? (and some women are the same).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I checked the boxes of Mullein tea and they all have licorice in them. I can't have licorice because of my blood pressure. BTW, they took it 3 times at the doctor today and the lowest they got was 155/180. Sigh. I'm going to look into getting some loose leaf mullein to have on hand.

Sorry to hear your son and the other one didn't work out. That's hard to go through but best to find out sooner rather than later. Hope he has the strength to stay away from a toxic relationship. :hug3: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:hi: from TX. 

Got our house sitter settled in and hit the road with the dogs & ferret, yesterday. I had been very busy last week planning, writing my list, crossing off things as I accomplished them. Packing the car was a challenge, but managed to get everything in, with room for the animals. Only forgot DH’s small flashlight and a bowl for Uriah’s duck soup meals. 

As usual, MIL has a list of ToDo’s for me. Little things that shouldn’t take very long. Taking down her sprinklers shouldn’t take too long. It’s already dropped below freezing here and her system is above ground, so the lawn people don’t run it over with their mowers.  I’ll take them home, clean them up and re-install the system next spring. 

Then, of course, we need to decorate her house Friday. Christmas is coming.....

• Like 5

I wrote a post and it said I was not signed in on my phone ......

anyway I have been using mullien tea for over 40 years. It works for pneumonia in calves as well as humans. I have only used it boiled in milk but others do the same with water. A health food store should have the leaves only. 

Vitamin D in low levels can be tied to respiratory infections, proper levels can help prevent the flu.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'd like to go to Amish country this week or next and I'm pretty sure I could get it there. They have all kinds of health food and herb and bulk stores there. Thanksgiving will probably mess me up because of Black Friday and weekend shoppers and tourists out down there. I don't like to shop in the crowds if I can help it. Lehmans has been calling me too. And the fabric stores... I need more material like I need another hole in the head but some of those fat quarters and jelly rolls have my name on them. Joann fabrics  can't compete with those pre-matched colors. I'm color challenged.   Sigh. 

I'm not any better today. This stuff really hangs on. Especially to old people. And my arm where I got the pneumonia shot feels like it's about to fall off. Not as bad as a shingle shot though. I still have two of those bad boys to look forward to. If they ever get the serum in stock.

• Sad 1

Kappy, we will eagerly await pics...nightime with lights on!  :)

Today began not good   :runcirclsmiley2: but I called a friend and we talked and talked.  My lifelong friend from MO.....those who know you best.  :hug3:  So I'm fine....but the challenges just got monumental.  I'll post elsewhere....in PSSSST.

MtRider.....paced on our porch in the sunshine today while on phone.  Vit D from the source!  60* as a high today.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3