MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider.....paced on our porch in the sunshine today while on phone.  Vit D from the source!  60* as a high today.

Good for you!  I've heard that you must see your shadow in front of you while you're standing to get the best "dose"...?

• Like 1

Good Morning everyone. 

Sun is shining, the grass is frosty, it’s 45* out and my list awaits.

DH got a cold, puppies found their comfort zone and MIL is content with family in the house. 

We brought one tennis ball for Gunny, DH grabbed a lightly used one from the bag of balls before we left. I brought it out, gave it to DH, and he tossed it to Gunny, who being the playful pup he is, bounded over, snatched it, brought it back and dropped it near DH.  Good boy!  Grrrr, on the other hand, promptly got up, went over and took the ball. :o  He normally never ever shows any interest in the balls, however, Dh had grabbed the blue ball.  When we first got the package of colored balls, we tossed a couple balls to both the dogs.  Grrr headed to the blue one and took it.  Gunny doesn’t care, just as long as it is a “BALL!”  Lol.   We had to go to the store to get another package of tennis balls. The old man Grrr even played fetch a couple of minutes, before taking it and laying down with it. He would not give it up for nothing. 

MIL’s birthday present was a new landline phone. She wanted to replace the battery in her handheld auxiliary old phone, but the battery itself was almost as expensive as the new system. The new one has a base station and two (up to 6) auxiliary handheld phones. Now, she has one by her bed, next to her couch in the den and the base in the kitchen. We’ll get 2 more auxiliary handheld extensions to replace the old ones in her other two bedrooms. The one in our room, is an old 1970’s version and the other one is from the early 1980’s. It also has a baby monitor and intercom abilities. Great options if/when she needs 24 hr. care. 

Today, I am getting ready to get out in the yard and pull up the sprinklers, empty and roll up the hoses for the winter. I will  have to go get her a replacement smoke detector. DH’s annual job is to replace the battery, but this time it won’t work. It too is old, I’m guessing early ‘80’s. 

MIL & DH are still sleeping but it’s time for me to get to work. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful blessed day. 

• Like 5

Glad your 'boys' are having a good time Annarchy.  You get some rest too!  Hope your hubby's crud doesn't last as long as mine is. I'm still wheezy and sneezy.

I went out and got some errands done today. I finally got a winter jacket. Nice and just the kind I wanted with 'fur' around the hood and cuffs to keep the wind out. Only $59.99 at Burlington Coat Factory. First place I went to too. Swung by Wal-Mart and got a new mini umbrella for the car. My old one wouldn't stay up. I had to use it collapsed over my head. A plastic bag on my head would have been easier. And I picked up a nice pair of mittens. They are knit and lined with that Sherpa type stuff. Mittens make my hands a lot warmer than gloves. I'm thinking it's the heat from my fingers.

• Like 6

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. 

Glad you got your jacket, Jeepers. Sounds warm. 

Managed to get the sprinkler system put away and took the sprinkler heads apart to dry. They definitely need to have the lime buildup removed. Kinda surprised how many hoses I used for it.  

Got Mom’s new smoke detector and DH installed it. Then, trimmed a little bit of her hedges. 

Pulled a bunch of weeds from her flower beds. I don’t know what they are, but they have a 6” long beautiful white flower in the morning, however, their seeds are frightening. 

Today, I will pull out the grill and smoke a ham for dinner. 

Here’s the flower bed, before and after the frost, and the ‘seeds’ from the flowers. 

71FCE363-BA8B-4A2E-83ED-B1555B4DE74D.jpeg

E4D65CC0-EFC2-4995-8735-409857021210.jpeg

A7DB64BC-1242-455D-A45D-2952E6F9F980.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yikes....are those seeds as nasty as they look if you step on one...or the dogs step on one? 

Went to folks and had turkey dinner....traditional.  Pies.  Tiring day.  Didn't get much sleep cuz I did the turkey and had to put it in around 7AM.  Unfortunately, I missed a lot of sleep last nite cuz DH got up with his shoulder killing him and so we all lost sleep in this tiny, squeaky house.  He woke up when I was doing the turkey so none of us slept thru that early morning either. 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Sad 2

SHEEEEESH!  :twister3:    We all are about to get blown off the mountain today.  ICK!  Heavy WIND aggravates my nervous system...and wears me out.  I'm staying inside today.  Good luck to shoppers!  THIS kind of weather is what malls were invented for....and now they're  'out of fashion'.  "Fashion" is not brilliant.

MtRider  :hidingsmile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Enjoyed two Thanksgiving Dinners...a friend invited us and my son to join her at her home.  She is a single lady and wanted to invite others who might be alone...and she needed another female presence since they were all men :-)  Anyway...lovely time.  After the meal I started the "What Three States Would Like To Spend Three Months In" all around the table and then "What is your favorite state and what did you do there?  Keeps the conversation very interesting and off politics and other points of disagreement .  

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 4

And tonight I cooked and hubby took a couple of "go plates" over to son.  Turkey, mashed potatoes & turkey gravy, green bean casserole, turkey with noodles, and some 7-up bread. Dessert was pecan pie with ice cream on the side.

101_0848.JPG

101_0849.JPG

• Like 3

Lovely pictures We2. I could sure go for some noodles! 

Ambergris, one of my Rx blood pressure pills has a diuretic in it. I have used an OTC pill in the summer when my fingers get tight and stiff. Dr. said it was fine for occasional use. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder! I think the OTC is Diurex or something like that. 

I didn't do much this T'giving except cough and wheeze. I still have it as bad but I'm getting more energy back. Hopefully I'm on the up side of this. I've heard other people talking about a crud that hangs on. Must be what I have. I rarely get sick so this one really took the "P" out of me.

I didn't do any Black Friday shopping. I got up early and was going to go to Amish country but fell asleep. Didn't wake up until after 2:00 pm. I've got a list to do some cyber shopping on Monday. Probably nothing on sale though. Toys. :rolleyes:

I found a series on Amazon Prime that I watched all evening Thursday. It was pretty good but not quite as good as the one they did with the coal miners. It was a BBC series about two Welsh families who went back in time to spend a month on a Welsh farm. The men worked in the old slate mine. Not great but better than anything on TV. It is called Snowdonia 1890. There were eight episodes. I had to google Snowdonia and it's a popular resort town in northern Wales on a mountain. Who knew.

• Like 2

Whoooooeeeeeee.....that is a gorgeous tree, WE2!  I think I've forgotten the beauty of the reds and oranges.  The aspen don't turn red/orange much.  The tips of trees sometimes a bit.  Don't have the oaks, maples and other Midwest trees.  [the food looks pretty good too!]

Glad you're making progress with 'crud'...if slowly, Jeepers.

The WIND died down at sunset...usually does.  Sometimes starts back up during the night.  Hope not.  Sometimes wakes me up.  I just got done getting the turkey off the carcass.  :0327:  I realllly hate that job.  Tedious.  Slimy.  I just squish it off the bones with my fingers.  I'm just really worn out after yesterday.  I usually don't carry the whole load of the meal...with good reason.  Leftovers were good today tho.  Have just enough juice to make a second batch of dressing.  Stovetop type but we dress it up.  However... no more liver to chop into it.  :yum3:  Gave my folks most of the leftovers...ease their way.

Tried to get Koa to walk with me on the ice at the edge of the pond.  It's frozen all the way but I only trust the edges after having 60* for a high this week.  The lows are LOW tho.  She's skittish each year.  Loves playing on packed snow surface tho.  Leaps 2 front feet onto our empty soda bottle and ski-i-i-i-i-ids with it.  We started that to wear her out as a new puppy!  :wub:    Now she tires of the game much faster.  lol

MtRider  :offtobed:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Very beautiful tree, and the food looked delicious. Glad you’re feeling better Jeepers, hope you feel better Mt_R. 

Got the rest of my ToDo list done yesterday. A little touch-up caulking, sprinklers put back together and bagged up, then, unboxed Christmas decorations, put up 7 wreaths outside, and the inside decorations, tree and ornaments. Barbecued dinner, replaced the drip sheet in mom’s oven and toaster oven, and cleaned the old ones. 

Slept like a log last night. 

Heading home today. Time to go pack....

I hope everyone has a blessed day. 

DF35F473-037A-48D9-AA38-F695CCC7E523.jpeg

08D6D9B5-0E9D-4022-913E-C3E3D38EB477.jpeg

• Like 4

Has anybody here ever heard of or seen the recipe for a TWO HOUR TURKEY???

Two-Hour Turkey (Prep and cook a turkey in two hours.)

Ingredients

• 1 10-24 lb frozen turkey, THAWED
  • 1-2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Kosher Salt
  • Pepper

Directions: 

1. Remove and discard truss that holds turkey legs together. 
  2. Pull or trim off and discard any excess fat in neck or body cavity. Remove giblets and neck.
  3. Rinse turkey inside and out with warm water. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub turkey skin generously all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  4. Set bird breast side up on in a V-shaped rack in your roasting pan (rack should have 2" clearance from pan bottom). 
  5. Pull wings away from body, then firmly twist them to push the wing tips under the bird. Using aluminum foil, form caps over the tips of the end of each drumstick.
  6. Do not tie legs together, add stuffing, or close body cavity. If any parts of the turkey extend beyond pan rim, fashion a foil collar underneath to make sure drippings flow back into pan.
  7. Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer near the center of the breast through thickest part until the tip touches bone.
  8. Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 475° (F) with the thermometer at back of oven. After 30 minutes, rotate the roasting pan and reduce the oven temperature to 350° degrees for the remaining cooking time.  (A 14-16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting.)
  9. When thermometer reads 160° remove pan from oven, set in a warm spot, and loosely cover pan with foil to keep it warm. Let turkey rest 30 to 60 minutes.
  10. Drain juices from body cavity (often plentiful in unstuffed birds) into roasting pan. Set aside juices for gravy.
  11. Transfer turkey to a platter or rimmed cutting board. Cut off turkey legs at thigh joint.
    If joint is red or pink, return legs to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes (at 300° to 475°) or heat in a microwave oven for 3 to 4 minutes.
  12. Carve the rest of the turkey. Carving juices may be clear to pink or rosy; both are fine. Save juices to pour into gravy if desired.

1456145619_Thanksgiving2016A.jpg.28169905d09a9bd058b4ffddcd293caf.jpg1258842938_Thanksgiving2016C.jpg.49346e04ba98bab2c1a35b0bd11aa6a1.jpg

Edited by Midnightmom
added youtube video
  • Like 1
On 11/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, Jeepers said:

didn't do much this T'giving except cough and wheeze

We turned on our humidifier several weeks ago when we noticed we were waking up with dry throats and noses.  Do you have one...can you use it? 

Home safe, thank God!

After we filled up the car, the next intersection stop light, the car stalled. Then, it did it again. We said a prayer, and it seemed to run fine the rest of the trip. :amen:

Sooo...the car needs to get a check up before we go back for Christmas. 

The  de’o’geeze did very well. Gunny quit pushing on Grrrr and didn’t try to take his space, good boy. He actually spent some time watching where we were going. He’s always been anxious about traveling, since he had to ride from OH to AZ and had to get another owner. He’s learning. We are his forever home, and MIL is his pet.  Lol. 

Frustrated about the car, but all is well, we are home. 

Midnightmom, that sounds about right for that sized turkey. It gets heat overall, using the rack. It should be rather juicy, because it isn’t overdone. I’m gonna try it. :happy0203:

Those seeds are really nasty when the dry out, I got lucky they were still greenish. Filled her roll off dumpster 3/4 ths full!  My hand are screaming at me, with cracks, scrapes and overall dry. 

DH had to bring home the apple pie crisps I made using puff pastry & apple pie filling and some of the ham. Here’s the Thanksgiving plate....

3622DE0D-B000-4E84-92B5-548F5CFB5CE8.jpeg

D6DF80D3-DEAC-42E8-AAF2-D8BAEF048F6D.jpeg

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

He’s learning. We are his forever home, and MIL is his pet.  Lol. 

LOL...has fun at Grma's house, does he? 

Glad you were able to get home and use your own mechanic to check out the car.  :amen:  

Humidifier.....My folks just gave us one they weren't using  :scratchhead:  ...where did I put it?  Cuz we're sure using the furnace!  :frozen:

My back is finally feeling a bit better so I started emptying the Circus Tent again.  Got all [ I think ]  important stuff out of there.  Now just stuff we could trash...and some boxes that could be useful if they don't get wet and nasty.  Got the best empty boxes out and most are flattened to store till we move....  It began to snow hard not long after I started.  DH came down to help and we got stuff SHOVED INTO GARAGE.  :sigh:  That's NOT how I wanted to do it!  But NEEEEED to get rid of leaky old tarp roof and not deal with snow/ice on it this winter. 

{grumble...still wondering how it's WINTER already ...cuz last I looked, we were having a beautiful fall}

MtRider  :0327: 

• Like 2

Oh crimony...the food in this thread has me drooling! Lovely.

I do have a small humidifier I'm using. My mouth is always dry from my meds. I just bought some stuff I saw on TV for dry mouth the other day. I can't tell if it's working yet or not. It's a spray called Biotene. I got the 'gentle mint' flavor so at least it tastes good. Or at least not awful. 

• Like 2
Just now, Jeepers said:

My mouth is always dry from my meds.

Mine too. Plus......I have a "full face" mask on my CPAP cause when I fall asleep and my muscles relax my jaw drops open. So, I am not only getting the constant stream of air through my nose but also through my mouth. That is the very definition of DRY MOUTH! I keep a water bottle on my nightstand, so the very first thing I do in the morning is take a drink of water (even BEFORE I go to the BR to pee!!!).:gdtmi: :ashamed0002::sorry:  (I do have a humidifier on my CPAP but I don't use it because the moisture in the tubing is what causes mold and fungus and other nasties to grow in it.)

MtRider-- here's an idea for what to do with all of that snow. :D :cook: :D 

And here's a pic of our Thanksgiving "dinner."

1535555327_Thanksgiving2018C.jpg.86e81d700fe0aed98b0b298a779c0f9e.jpg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

My mouth is always dry from my meds. I just bought some stuff I saw on TV for dry mouth the other day. I can't tell if it's working yet or not. It's a spray called Biotene. I got the 'gentle mint' flavor so at least it tastes good. Or at least not awful. 

My mom uses Biotene and really likes it. I told the dentist about dry mouth and meds and she gave me a sample of ACT. I haven't used it yet. Procrastination, or maybe too tired in the night to swish and spit.   B)

• Like 2

Thanksgiving was fast and furious this year. Mom had acid reflex the night before and wasn't too interested in eating anything except mashed potatoes and gravy. She really irritated her throat this time. I know because she usually piles the food high on her plate on T day.   :whistling:

We got a break in weather and decided to winterize our hives. The girls had plenty of honey, so we added some winter paddies between the top frames. The top box is filled with cedar chips to soak up the moisture of 10,000's of bees. The last step was to wrap the hives in black roofing paper. It doesn't keep them warm but keeps out the sub-zero winds during the winter. It's tricky as to when to pull it off in late winter, but our bee club has lots of older beekeepers who keep us from screwing up this complex hobby.  :grinning-smiley-044:

P1040042.JPG

• Like 4

Snowcream.....I seem to remember trying that...long ago in MN.  We just got 5 more inches of very FLUFFY snow last nite.  <_<  Didn't know that was going to happen.  W our snowplow guy has already cleaned it up again but the steep top of driveway and the parking area are still totally packed snow.  I was hoping his blade would scrape some of that clear.  Appears we're stuck with it....no pun intended.  :(  I'll try putting some pellet stove ashes out there to draw the solar heat. 

Dropped one half of the Circus Tent roof today.  With all those additional inches of snow.  Not going to fight that this year.  Only one quarter of the roof is still up....which is manageable.  Flatten and get rid of ruined cardboard boxes is the next stage.  This whole deal has been a year long nightmare.  Only cuz we were TOLD the electrician would have to tear up who-knows-how-much of the garage ceiling dry wall to find the problem.  Then he did a work-around and didn't need but one small corner cleared.  <_<  

MtRider .....are we DONE with winter yet? 

• Like 1

I spent the entire day down in Amish country. I'm tired and the back is killing me and I'm glad to be home. It was a so-so productive trip. No one had any Mullein. Guess I'll have to go online. I tried about 4 bulk food stores and 2 health food stores.

Also, no one has any of the quilt display chests I was looking for. Two years ago they were everywhere. They all said they can order one and ship it but I'm not interested in that. 1. I want to see it first. 2. If it's messed up I'd have to pay to ship it back and 3. I need them to put it in my Jeep.

I don't think it would be all that hard to make. 3-4 sides of it is glass and the top could either be glass or wood. Son probably could do it but I'd like it done in my lifetime. Know what I mean.  :rolleyes:

I did get some pretty fabric that I didn't need but will be glad I have it...one day.

At Lehman's I got  3 nice jigsaw puzzles to put away for Armageddon. Lehman's has some really nice puzzles now. A couple of kitchen gadgets I needed. Namely a round disk of rubber used for opening all sorts of bottles. A couple of wooden puzzles and a toy for 'you know who'. Also a sleeve of wide mouth canning jar lids. Those things are surprisingly heavy!

I ended up at Barns and Nobel. Their Dr. Seuss books were buy 2 and get one free. He is to young for them yet but I figured I'd get them while they were on sale. He does like to be read to. One is called Hop On Pop. He calls his grandpa Pop so I'm sure it will be a hit.

I forgot to go to Menards. I'm on the hunt for a laser tape measure. It's a regular tape measure but can also measure digitally with a laser. You can use the laser to make a straight line like for hanging pictures too.

Both of my house phones are dead so I guess I'll have to hunt down batteries for them tomorrow. I miss Radio Shack for things like that. Hopefully Wal-Mart will have them. Might end up having to buy new phones. Might be as cheap. Last time I had to replace one of those batteries it was over $10.00 for one battery.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I miss Radio Shack for things like that. Hopefully Wal-Mart will have them. Might end up having to buy new phones. Might be as cheap. Last time I had to replace one of those batteries it was over $10.00 for one battery.

We found some at WM but that's been a couple of years ago.  We miss Radio Shack too but towards the last you couldn't find anything for older phones etc.  Just the new techy stuff they wanted to sell us.

• Like 2