MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

55 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

No one had any Mullein.

Drats!  Jeepers your post made me so thankful that we have so many Amish/Mennonite stores in our state.  Unfortunately they don't have phones or catalogs or shipping abilities but that's their culture. 

Finished up most of the housework today.  When it's this cold and my van is winterized (too much snow on the ground any way to drive) I don't need to be getting out ... so ... you clean, do laundry, crochet, work word search puzzles, cook, bake, play toys with Abby-girl (she's restless too) and watch the favorite youtubers etc.

• Like 2

It's cold so we've got furnace and pellet stove on more.  So it's dry and as of yesterday, I'm feeling the tightness in bronchial area.  Did percussion device to loosen last nite...coughed and coughed but felt better.  Ginger tea with lemon/honey too.  So today DH brings up the humidifier from basement. 

And that's what started the problem:  I still have stuff sitting about from having been at my folks.  I've only put away some here and there.  There is zero space to PUT the humidifier.  But part of the problem with putting that stuff away is:  The luggage/bags/etc. needs to go under my bed.  [High hospital bed....lots of stored stuff under there.  ] 

That leads to the second problem:  There is a mouse chewing on SOMEthing under my bed.  I've been waiting to get a day where I had enough energy to dig out EVERYTHING from under there and deal with mouse, mouse chewed/fouled stuff, and then put it all back including my stuff still in living room.  Welllll, part of that happened today.  I got so overheated that I was only wearing a tank/shorts.  I mean outside on porch too...where I was dumping the stuff from under the bed to sort....fouled or not. ICK!

Didn't find actual mouse.  Found his lair and threw out a number of things, mostly plastic bags of all sorts.  He'd found a package of crackers... :scratchhead:  Anyway, about the time I had half the stuff out from under bed...and I was using the dying old vacuum cleaners to get gobs of DUST out of there....a storm came up.  Began to blow all the stuff on porch all over.  DH and I ran to capture.  I just threw out everything that was in the small laundry basket the mouse had called 'home'.  Will sanitize the laundry basket...later.  Checked for 'evidence' in the other stuff but thankfully, it seems to have been only in that location.  I DID find a hole in the baseboard:  Remember Tom and Jerry?  Yep, just like that!  Stuffed it with steel wool. 

I'd been crawling under the bed.  Getting up and down and up and down.  That's not an easy maneuver for me and costs energy.  Suddenly I was DONE!  Yes, I'd cleared and cleaned the entire area....accessible only on one side of the bed.  Other 3 sides are up against the walls.  Putting back some large, under-bed totes was easy.  But the rest of the stuff is still out in living room.  .....so living room is even more messed up than when I started.  <_<

DH made us soft taco things for late lunch...mmmm!  Then later he made a big amount of meat loaf.  I got out for him, what I usually put into them.  But...I could not find the usual bread loaf pans.  Had to improvise.  So much of kitchen relocated to the shelving units in the [former] living room but neither of us could find them.  Were not where they had formerly been kept.  AGAIN...without MICE, this day would have been a lot easier.  Wonder where I put them?  :scratchhead:  Supper was joint effort.  Frozen tater tots and some applesauce old enough to need using up.  ...still have to replace the rest of the under-bed stuff and still find a place to run a humidifier.  :0327: 

MtRider  :offtobed:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

I was in the largest Amish/Mennonite area in the world today. LOL.  Maybe they have had a run on it with all of the crud going around..and staying. I found tea bags but they had other stuff in them. I still cough.

I hate those Colorado mice! They have vexed you long enough. 

It's been snowing here all day and now at nignt. It's too warm to stick to the pavement but the grass is covered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Ginger tea with lemon/honey too.  So today DH brings up the humidifier from basement. 

Love our Candied Ginger.  We buy at Amish/Mennonite store and I just keep it in the frig.  When we need "something" to just make us feel warmer we each chew on a couple of pieces...and also is excellent to dump a few pieces into some green tea.  Agreed...humidifiers are a must in winter weather...at least for us.

• Like 2

Today was about like any other day this week...cold outside and feeling the cabin fever.  Mixed up some Black Chia seed pudding so we had a couple of tablespoons with an ice cream cup for dessert after supper.  I just put about 3/4 cup of  pineapple chunks into my blender and add 5 Tablespoons of the seeds, blend until smooth and put in frig for a few hours to thicken. Black Chia seeds are so absolutely good for the body.:hapydancsmil:

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3

Sheeesh, Jeepers.  If we'd known you'd have so much trouble finding mullein leaves, I should have gone to the Nat. Forest and harvested a bunch for you.  That's one of the other things that grows around here...but not on our land.  They plant it in the fire-damaged areas cuz it's a very long tap root.  Draws the nutrients back up closer to the surface....after fire pretty much sterilizes the land.  "Moonscape" areas.  But it grows at our favorite fishing area too.  Sooooo....would you just dry them or what?

:happy0203:   I got much further along on my project(s) today.  Well, it's not really that I did more - just that today, the progress SHOWED.  It didn't much yesterday.  :happy0203:   Finally got unpacked and wrangled that medium size suitcase [with smaller inside] into the largest suitcase and wrapped it up for storing.  Finally.  Been tripping over the large & small one. 

Finally got the rest of the stuff under the bed.  Got Maui gang's big bag of winter ski pants, etc sorted out and put into a plastic bucket with lid.  [don't want to explain how the mice chewed up their stuff...sheeeeeesh!  ]  Ha!....there are my insulated work gloves.  Getting cold enough, I'd have been looking for those.  We'd thrown a bunch of our COLD WEATHER clothes into a big bag for them to augment what they brought for snow/cold.  It was realllly cold while they were here and ....there was some of our stuff.  

Sorted out my Town Bags....refreshed my memory as to What's Where....again.  [wish someone would quit erasing that file in my brain!]  :tapfoot:

:sigh:   Washed and put away my cat's bed and heat pad.  :(  Miss her lil' loud-mouthed self!  No one to climb up under my chin and PRRRRRR!  :yar:

DH finally got a chance to take car in town to see why one tire keeps deflating.  Yep, a tiny nail.  Fixed that.  Got his 'scripts.  Stopped in to visit folks.  Called from there and asked if I want pizza.  :lol:  He had to bring one back for my folks to their house too. 

MtRider  ....I do LOVE productive days. 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

Glad you had a productive day Mt. Rider!

I'd just dry the Mullein, crumble it up and store it away in a glass container in the dark. I found some tea bags on Amazon but a couple of people said it tasted moldy. Is it supposed to taste muddy/moldy? I also saw some 'dried sifted organic' leaf on Amazon. I have a tea ball and a 'tea spoon' I can use. I think I have a mesh like thingy too...somewhere. Tea bags would be easier though. Especially since, hopefully, I wouldn't have to use it often. I've never had anything hang on this long.

• Like 1

I got my eyes checked today. I was pleasantly surprised. I just went to Wal-Mart because I was kind of in a hurry. I wanted to get them tested before I have to get an eye test for drivers license. Only one eye had changed much. When I did the eye test for corrective lens' I was over 20/20. I really thought my eyes had gotten much worse. No glaucoma or anything else. Whew. The only issue is with floaters. Lots of floaters. That's why my vision is wonky at times. He wants to do a dilation on them within the next 3 months (free) to make sure they are floating freely and not attached to the retina or anything else in there. Big problem. I'm here alone and son is in Indiana. Uber again? I think not.

The eye doctor was a huge flirt. Said he remembered me from my last eye exam...in 2006.  Sigh. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Went looking to buy women's shorts this morning and struck out. All that I saw were up to the butt! One lady suggested I buy men's shorts. No thanks! 

Came home and waited for kid to show up to help me do outside stuff. He dug holes-5- and I planted 4 knockout rose bushes and a Satsuma tree. I know it's the wrong time to plant but when you get them for free, what the heck! Supposed to rain tonight so they should get a good soaking. Also, got 2 bags of gravel down and spread and a couple of totes out to the shed. Pretty productive day!

• Like 2

Today is a "rest" day.  We have no doctor appt's or anything that must be done today.  I hope to get some recliner time with my feet elevated!

DH is slowly recovering.  It seems like every time he has a health setback it takes a bit longer to bounce back.  He is so much weaker than he used to be.  I think I have more strength than him even though I'm in a wheelchair.

After about 5 freezes I only have chinese cabbage left in the garden, along with my mums and 1 tough rose bush.

Since it is cool I have been doing alot more oven meals.  DH enjoys his old fashioned pot roasts and cakes.  He needs to gain some weight so that is good for him.  Me, on the other hand needs to eat salads etc.

Have a great day ya'll!

• Like 4

Sounds like y'all are having productive days!  :thumbs:   I hear ya on finding clothes that fit and ...cover the subject, Miki.  I search for waistlines that fit without squishing sensitive abdomen.

Eye floaters are so weird...cuz after a while, the brain sort of blanks it out and we have to 'look' to see them.  But initially, like ta drive ya crazy! 

Momo...I felt like the 'strong one' too after DH had the blood clot in lung.  Not good cuz "strong" wasn't much in my case.  Same with taking care of my folks.... The "strong" one then has to be so careful to REST and do things in efficient ways.  Or both will be down.  Have a nice rest day!

I'm still listening for mice.  Hope the crunch/rustle I heard is mouse eating poison. :baseballbat:

Getting more stuff organized and stuffed outta the way.  Each day is a smaller portion of what I get done - cuz I'm tired!  But a little bit eventually makes progress too.  DH fed before his run into town today.  That helps my energy so I can still do things inside.  Hand-washed a couple things and hung on line to blow dry.  Put away last laundry load.  Would love to run vacuum but....dunno.  Neither of them works well and thus, makes me work harder.  Got to get to a store to buy a new one [compliments of my folks]. 

Anyone know of good upright vacuums?  Which ones and why do you like them? 

MtRider  :dusting:  :dishes:  

• Like 1

I ran a couple of errands and then my back screamed, "Go Home".  I didn't get to the Dollar Tree. I ran in the craft store which is right beside Ollies and they didn't carry sewing machine needles. :blink:

This is only the second time I've been in Ollies. It's kinda junkie looking. Maybe like our Dollar General. It's a closeout store. Both times I've been there I'm surprised by what they have. It is a book lovers paradise. Especially kids books, Bibles/religion and cookbooks. They have a lot of novels etc. too.  I saw two big tables of DVD's but I wasn't interested. Neither was my back. The toys! They don't have a lot but most of the ones they have are brand names. John Deere, Duplo, Disney, Hot Wheels to name a few. I saw a few Fisher Price and Melissa and Doug toys. No food except some Christmas candy. Their books are new and cheap. They had a huge Weight Watchers binder cookbook that, according to the price tag, is regular $30.00. The were selling it for $4.00. I wasn't interested but was curious about the price.

All I got were two cookbooks. One a 'one pot meal' book. I'm trying to find more meals to put in a freezer. And another new Amish of Lancaster County cookbook. It looked like it had some good recipes in it.

Wendy's was right across the street so I swung in there for a chili and a salad. I wasn't in the mood for pop or iced tea (unusual for me) so I got an all natural lemon aide. Man is it ever good.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2018 at 11:51 PM, Jeepers said:

Is it supposed to taste muddy/moldy

Not moldy but does have a greeny/earthy smell (just went in and sniffed mine) and it should be GREEN not brown.  I found my mullein plant along side of one of the roads in an RV park and snatched it up, wrapped it in a wet paper towel and then into our camper and into a dixie cup until we got home.  It's re-seeded itself twice now...and not anywhere near where I planted "momma"...LOL  Guess the wind blows the seeds.  The first year plant will have only the soft leaves, the 2nd year plant will shoot up a long stalk and then bud with yellow blooms.  Harvest the leaves but not too many?  But...I'm able to buy mine already dried and packaged from the Amish/Mennonite stores so I've just let my plants grow and bloom.  Same thing with Yarrow.  I always try to buy when I can and let my "garden" grow and spread.

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Anyone know of good upright vacuums?  Which ones and why do you like them? 

I love my shark...available at WM.  Just make sure you always empty the barrel and keep the foam filter washed and clean.  No bags...love it.  Has attachments for other cleaning jobs.  Has the "gripper" mode that pulls itself along the carpet or the bare floor mode for wood/tile floors.

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 2

Thank you, WE2.  Any particular model?  And ....how noisy is it?  I have to literally wear shooting ear protection when I use the little red thing.  No muffler!  Sheeesh!

MtRider  .....chili....now I've got a hankering for chili!  :cook:

I usually get what's on sale. I would recommend getting a bagless one too. Will save you money in the long run. Lots of people swear by Dyson. But they are out of my price range so I don't know. Before you buy check on Amazon for some reviews. I do that a lot even if I'm not buying from Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30705-004-310AE74C.jpg

Do you mean those nasty things in MIL's yard, Ambergris?  Looks like a close cousin, at least.  Has trumpet flowers.  But the prickly seeds seem to be more oblong -  like egg more than round like in Annarchy's pics???  Variations?   We had them in our bean fields and had to 'walk the bean fields' and cut or pull them out.  Very tough, fibrous stems.  I remember thorns and now kinda remember those pods opening.  Datura, you know.  Poison or medication if you know what you're doing.

MtRider ....hmmmm

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Thanks 1

I first read about 'datura' in the Clan of Cave Bear series.  Didn't connect to the bean field invaders until much later.  So much we don't know about...probably right under our noses.  Both useful and dangerous.....or in this case, both.  Good catch, Ambergris!

Cloudy, gloomy, ominous.  Some snow possible.  DH at work so I hope it doesn't come blasting in about the time I'm feeding tonite.  Feels later than it is.

MtRider  :frozen: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
On 12/1/2018 at 12:13 AM, Mt_Rider said:

Thank you, WE2.  Any particular model?  And ....how noisy is it?  I have to literally wear shooting ear protection when I use the little red thing.  No muffler!  Sheeesh!

MtRider  .....chili....now I've got a hankering for chili!  :cook:

This is very similar to mine, $229 or so.  Very quiet, in my opinion.  Abby goes to her bed but she's not terrified of it...probably because it's not all that noisy?  

Shark Navigator&reg; <cmbr/>Zero-M&trade; Lift-Away Speed&trade;<cdbr/> Upright Vacuum

• Thanks 1

Hubby and I played a bit lazy this morning and then he went to homestead to work on the bathroom project and I baked bread.  We have a single friend who is having a birthday and he'll be leaving town this coming weekend so I baked him a loaf of homemade white bread for his birthday, plus a card.  We took it over to him this evening when hubby got home.  I also put a tenderloin into one of my cast iron skillets and then covered it with a cast iron lid and boy was it pull apart tender...supper was yummy with home made bread too! (Made an extra loaf for us since the last loaf is about gone).  Weather is dreary and chilly.  Was spitting some when we took the bread gift over to friend.