MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Played catch up today in the kitchen and got most of laundry done and put away.  Still need to do bed clothes and bathroom linens.  Weather was (and is) rainy all day, I spent it in sweat pants and sweat shirt.  Hubby worked again on bathroom project.  Insulation is in, tyvac is up and I guess he'll tell me his next move!  All the plumbing is in but he still has to run the electrical.  

• Like 1

I can SO relate to the elders having an increasing amount of trouble.....and that big question:  When is it time to change their circumstances????  :sigh: 

We had a nice Christmas with my folks.  Never know if any of us...but mostly them....will be here by next year.  This has been a rough year.  But I took pics of us and started texting them to Maui and East coast family.  Yes, since spending weeks in town with my mom's incident...I know how to text and send pics!  I don't intend to make a habit of it, since there is no cell at home.  But suddenly we were all together...via texts/pics and phone calls.  It was neat.  :grouphug: 

Unfortunately, I'm paying the price of too much stimulation on the nervous system.  Today .... ack!  :0327:   Oh well, this too shall pass.  We had a bit of a snow flurry pass thru - quite inadequate to dampen down the DUST on the road for long.  Our lovely WARM days are ending with a cold front which I noted this morning with a double-take...on the altimeter-used-as-barometer.  Indicated a strong system approaching.  But Koa and I walked in the snow, wind, dark tonite.  Kinda neat ....but we didn't waste much time....Brrrr!  DH had to horses/ducks done quickly too.  :frozen:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 3

Just got back from mom's place. It has been raining/spitting snow all day. Close to home was dense fog. We have more snow farther north. I heard that Minn will get about a foot of snow out of this. We will get the mud. I think I'll try digging some potatoes this weekend to replace what we've used the past two months.  :ashamed0002:

My mom has agreed to start sorting through her things and giving heirlooms to family. I think we'll start in the laundry room and recycle the Amway products that are over 30 years old.  :imoksmiley:  Then I can tell how she's handling the upcoming move, emotionally. Thankfully, a friend is planning on moving there too. She's more of a socialite so maybe she can put a small fire under my mom and get her out of herself and over to the Bingo room and the theater. They even have free popcorn every day. I think I'LL move in there.  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 5

Christmas is down for another year! I actually like taking it down. I feel like my house looks like a minimalist lives there--at least for awhile! It has rained all day here and with some thunder and lightning, too. Supposed to rain more overnight and then clear up for the day tomorrow. Supposed to rain again tomorrow night, I think. I got rid of the weather channel on my phone and tablet and got the app called Grumpy Cat Weather. It's funny, sarcastic and has as good a radar as TWC. And a higher rating. LOL You can get it for Android but we can't put it on our HP Windows Edge Laptop.

• Like 3

The storm that went through on Wednesday, actually turned into a sleet/rain mix. I took out one box to the shed, and by the time I got back in the house, my sweater was covered in tiny snowballs. I told Mom & DH it was snowing, they didn’t believe me at first, until they looked out the window. So... we got our snow. :happy0203:

Home safe, and now, I am getting things unpacked & washed. Christmas decorations are down here too, they still need to be boxed. 

Hard frost last night, they say it won’t warm up until late next week. Everything in the gardens got covered before it got dark yesterday. Oh....and we got our first vine ripened cherry tomato. :amen:  All the rest of the tomatoes are still green. 

• Like 1

Wow, Annarchy....snow for Christmas week in TX.  :santa:   Glad you got home to cover plants.  Don't know how far SUB-ZERO we went last nite.  :frozen:  It's turned into real WINTER this week.  :(  I rather liked our 3 weeks of WARMER.  It's snowing bits today.  That low pressure front that went thru registered stongly.  My altimeter is still showing low pressure but not as drastic.  

My laptop is acting like it wants retirement.  Augh!  I can't run Kindle and FireFox at the same time.  My CPU is running too high most of the time and the default is to shut down Kindle's usage.  This is new and I have no clue what to do for it....except buy again.  For someone who uses things....repurposes and uses them again...and again....... <_<  I sure go thru a lot of laptops.  This is 3 yrs old and I'd expect better.  But I don't buy them expensive either.  .....and I do have rather a LOT of ebooks. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1

we are RESTING today.  On Wed. we were talking to a friend whose daughter is getting married this weekend.  She told them 2 weeks ago that her boyfriend wanted to get it done before the end of the year for tax purposes, and instead of eloping (doing her folks a favor) she is doing the white dress, church things, flower girls, bridesmaids, etc, reception and all.  The poor woman was sooooo frazzled trying to get it all done (not much money to spare this time of year).  She is doing the set up decorating and serving for the reception herself and was nowhere near done as DD is a bit of a drama queen and kept changing her mind about things she wanted, and the budget of both time and money was rapidly becoming shot to pieces.  Frankly the poor woman was nearly having  stroke!  So M & I decided to step up and do what we could do to help -  we gave her $100 to help with travel expenses so gas money would not be a problem.  I sewed for 12 hours to finish the red satin sashes to decorate the covered chairs at the reception.  Mary is dog sitting. She will be staying at their home all night so the dogs are not alone. Last  but not least, when we heard that her brother could not rent a car to get to the wedding (in the next state, of course) because he just moved & did not have the right ID and such to rent a car we loaned him our brand new fire-engine-red truck so he could drive there in style.  We were happy to help and more than a little moved by the gratitude of our friends.  (Apparently friends don't jump in to help like they used to when we grew up.  How sad.)  We are blessed to have such good friends - we could not leave them hanging.

I did a special victory dance when I finished the last sash & presented it to our friend, after I sang her a victory song and did an impromptu dance (putting a half dozen assorted multicolor mini-clips in my hair  for the goofy-effect).  The look on her face was priceless, as well as her laughter.  

So, today is rest day (well kinda).  I still packaged up the meat we bought for freezing, fed the sourdough and set up for pancakes tomorrow, set up the stock pot to make light stock for soups next week, and baked 2 loaves of bread before dinner.  It rained here, so the dogs were all hanging around inside & underfoot (bored) as we worked.  I think I will put my feet up and watch the episodes of Gunsmoke I have recorded.  We will both probably fall asleep in front of the TV, but hey, its all good.  

• Like 3

This will probably sound like a duplicate...but...I just did the wifey stuff around here today and hubby worked again on the bathroom project.  He had to rent a machine to cut the old iron sewer pipe out that ran from the upstairs bathroom to the downstairs sewer connection.  He'll put in new pvc which will take up much less room in the bathroom/against an inside wall.  The weather was very cold today and very windy.  Not supposed to get much better for several days, but our winter's in this area usually start after Christmas and run January and February.  Sometimes March, but not usually.  So this isn't anything really new.

• Like 3

Going to start looking around for bargains on potatoes.  It's time to put some up.  I like to buy the 50# bags and put them up for the coming year.  Not only wonderful for quick soups, fried 'taters but also potato salad.

• Like 1

Decided to just go to Sav-A-Lot and buy two 10# bags of Russet Potatoes.  Put up 9 pints this afternoon.  Had a couple steamed with our supper.  We'll start rotating some out that I jarred up last time.  Haven't taken a picture but you know the drill! LOL

• Like 2

Jarred up 9 pints of Russet potatoes.  I'm not really fond of Russets because they're so starchy when pressure canned, but they're easier to find and cheaper than the reds.  Did boil down a few and added some creamed corn and "other good stuff" (like bacon, onions and a bit of garlic) and we had corn chowder for lunch. 

101_0899.JPG

• Like 4

Weather today simply put...cold and dreary.  Supposed to rain tonight (maybe?) and tomorrow (maybe?).  Plan is for me and Abby-girl to go with hubby to the homestead tomorrow morning so I can put away some of the canned goods I've done and give Abby-girl a nice run in her big yard.  She always ends up with me in the kitchen laying on her rug and periodically checking on all that banging noise coming from the bathroom area.  Both of us need some time getting out of dodge and that's our best way to do it during this flu season.  So many friends and friends of friends have the flu so we are very serious about avoiding crowded places.  A classmate of hubby's just died the 28th from pneumonia, a complication of the flu...isn't it odd that almost everyone we know that has contracted it took the shot?  Just sayin'.....

Edited by The WE2's
Added info...
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hi all :hi:

‘Tis the last day of the year, Thank God!  I’m done with 2018 and am looking forward to 2019!

So much to do, so little time....

Balenced my books, now to close them and prep for taxes. OMG!  Has anyone seen the new 1040?   Good grief, it’s completely different from before. Still, the Schedule C seems to be mostly the same, except, they are limiting net loss. :sigh:  Spent the day downloading forms and instructions, reading and calculating....

Anyway, it’s been raining since about 1:30 pm and it’s been colder than normal. DH wants to ‘break from tradition’ this year, even tho, I’ve prepped for manudo.  Still gonna make it, but will make black eyed peas and bolillo bread in the morning, so he can have French dips tomorrow night. 

Hoping everyone one has a fantastic New Years Eve. :bouquet:

• Like 3

Our supper this evening was black-eyed pea/mixed bean soup ( jarred up several quarts so I'd have them...this may be my last one), fried potatoes with onions, a nice thick slice of smoked ham, bannock bread and pantry spiced applesauce for desert.  Black-eyed peas because Sherman rode through and destroyed all the crops and gardens but left the peas for "animals"; fried potatoes, that's all that kept the Irish alive long enough to come to America; onions because the children of Israel had to survive and thrive on onions and garlic; bannock bread because it's a survival bread, and applesauce because we needed to eat it! This is our tradition/story and I'll stick to it.  :feedme:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had a late breakfast due to heavy snow last night and lots of plowing this morning. I chose fried shredded potatoes (dug before the snow covered the garden) with lots of veggies (for color). I like to add several Tbs of BBQ sauce near the end for a bit of a kick. I finished it off with lots of eggs and mugs of coffee. Late lunch was baked wild-caught tuna, sweet potato, cole slaw and fruit. Late supper was yeast-raised fried bread with sugar sprinkled on top. Love those fluffy chunks of bread. They taste almost like donuts without the holes.   :cook:

Glad we got plenty of exercise today. Otherwise, we'd be wearing those hearty meals around our waists.  :whistling:

Edited by Homesteader
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 12/28/2018 at 10:35 PM, Mt_Rider said:

OK....who?  Reference to Ambergris and Kappy.  Looked at different news sites......and saw the oldest WWII veteran died at 114(?) yrs old.  ??

MtRider  :scratchhead:  

Friend of mine, kind of a mentor.  I've laughed at his jokes for 29 years.

• Sad 2

Ah...sorry for your loss then, Ambergris.  I'm certainly getting to the age where those behind me greatly outnumber those ahead of me.   I know more ahead of me and their losses are starting to add up.  :(

Well, our Internet crashed early Sunday....Weekend...Holiday....the tech is coming Wed late...tomorrow.  Internet withdrawl!!!  :o

For some reason, it began working later today.  :scratchhead:   So I'm typing to catch up....lest it crash again.  The tech from the company said he saw ERROR message and something on the dish has to be replaced.  This is the first crash but access has often been difficult.  Since it's all new since....last summer?....it should be working so wellll....  Yeah, right.  

VERRRRRY cold yesterday.  Subzero during the day.  And snowing little bits that lasted 24 hrs and barely made 3".  A bother but welcome moisture.  NO DUST!  :D   But this cold is dangerous.  Plugged up all the windows with bubblewrap, cardboard, extra pillows/blankets.  Some windows stay that way all winter.  The others get that treatment only when we're super cold.  Prepped in case of losing electric.  Poured extra water, etc.  Kept furnace heat up.  But all was well.  Hate to have to go to our vehicles to keep warm if the power failed.  :frozen:  That's like.....Plan D.

I did our subzero protocols when I fed last nite.  Everything went fine.  DH didn't even let the ducks out of duckhouse yesterday.  Warmer with the door closed.  I shut goat inside her house with hay at 2pm.  Placed extra hay for horses....they eat-it heats.  DH insisted on filling horse water tank before he left for work on Sunday.  Gooood idea.  :thumbs:  

Today was sunny and got us out of the subzero and single digits pretty fast.  I think we topped out around 20*.  Nice tho.  We're subzero tonight again.  :shrug:

MtRider  :wave: 

• Like 2

Our weather has been mild so far. Our coldest is usually Jan and Feb though. I know it's coming. I need to get the driveway stakes out there before the ground freezes and the snow plow guy turfs my lawn again. 

We figured up that I spent close to 40 hours just in driving time to get my Indiana license. And over 1,800 miles. I don't even want to think about the gas money. Yeah, I'm still a little salty over it all. 

Grandson is sick. Doctors office is closed today (New Years Day) so DIL I took him to one of those after hour clinics. Pffft, they were closed too. So she took him to the ER. Poor little fellow has bronchial pneumonia. They did a chest xray and saw just a little spot. So he is on meds. He doesn't act like he feels bad so hopefully they caught it in time. His momma is a worried and I'm glad. He doesn't have to go back to 'school' until this coming Tues. so I'm glad he can stay in a few extra days.

One of his fish died and he said, "Grandma (my name) my fishy died and I flushed him in the big boy potty and now he is in fishy heaven." I asked him if it made him sad and he said no that they just bought some more. :blink:  I'm gonna have some fun this summer!

• Like 2

Internet outages all over the country, recently. Motor vehicle’s system was down statewide Monday. They said they would mail my tags. I never usually wait until the last day, but we went to Mom’s before I had a chance to get there. That’ll teach me. :buttercup:

Back to books today, for me, year end, financial reports and taxes. 

• Like 2

Pretty much the same.  Hubby is working on a customer's cracking/settling walls and I jarred up 7 quarts and 1 pint of vegetable soup.  I have enough celery, potatoes and carrots to do another batch...but not tomorrow.  Tomorrow I need to get laundry done and household chores done.  

• Like 1

So Jeepers....d'ya 'spose you can send Indiana a bill for your motor vehicle troubles?  Whew!  But it's done and on time!  :pray: that lil grson's bronchial pneumonia will heal up quickly.  I use to get that too much at his age. 

Annarchy....what Internet outages?  Certain companies?  Or other?  And do they know how/why?????????

Well our Internet tech came today.  He fixed the modem [software problem].  Then showed us many things we didn't know.  Good data and advice.  Nice guy....he was the one to install this provider/dish/etc back last summer.  We now have yet ANOTHER password...  :shrug:  I might still have to replace my laptop tho. 

MtRider  .....Sunny day B)  but still COLD :frozen:  

• Like 1