MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Sheeeeeesh, Annarchy.  :wacko:  Glad you are safe!  Have a nice visit with MIL and all the ladies!

Weather coming in...again.  Just reminded DH we need to top off the horse tank water...again. 

Hope to see my folks later today ...before the weather locks us in....again.

And yesterday, the massive MS malfunctions eased off.  The shoulder was able to move...altho to put it above my head, it only will go on a certain track.  But later last evening, I DID get to wash my hair.  :amen:    Today is ok...probably haven't got much energy but hopefully I can fit in a visit.

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Annarchy said:

:hi:

Made it to TX with almost nothing happening...  

First a double flatbed semitruck pulled out in front of me and drove 25 mph to the stop sign, he went through the 4 way, another truck went thru, and it was my turn, but the lady that sped up and got there afterwards, on the other side, decided it was her turn. She almost broadsided me, but my breaks worked. Then, a flat bed pickup pulled out in front of the line of traffic in front of us, and was going 25 mph... I saw no traffic coming, so I punched it to pass the 4 others in front of me.... oops.... an officer was attempting to pull over a car, who was only doing 20 mph. With them in my rear view, the very next intersection, someone was laying on the ground in the middle of the road...another person was trying to get her up & out of the way. Yikes!  She seemed ok and she was smiling... really?!  Crazy day.  

Soooo... tomorrow morning I am the driver to pick up Ladies for the Chamber meeting...  time to get some sleep 💤. 🛏 

WOW!  Glad you're safe!

• Thanks 1

Nice! WE2. 

The Chamber Installation meeting went well. The Director and the Mexican Chamber were there too. I subbed for our regular Lady, who takes pictures for the history book, while she got her new job with the Chamber for the next 2 years. They also honored our oldest members, 96, 95, & 98. They made the comment, ‘I hope I look as good as they do, and still wearing high heels..”. Lol. They are the sweetest group. Hilton served a little garden salad, rolls, chicken breast with a little cream cheese, saffron rice with sautéed onions & spinach topped with sliced carrots very lightly cooked. Desert was cheese cake with a strawberry syrup. (I’m allergic to strawberries so, I only had a little of it that didn’t have any on it).

Brought the Ladies home & rested the remainder of the day. And, of course, mom watched the news, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune..... and football replays...  

Tomorrow, I need to take the car in for an oil change and have them check to see why it is running rough. Not a big issue, but, I don’t need to be stranded an 100 miles out in the middle of nowhere. 

• Like 4
On 1/16/2019 at 10:49 PM, Annarchy said:

:hi:

Made it to TX with almost nothing happening...  

First a double flatbed semitruck pulled out in front of me and drove 25 mph to the stop sign, he went through the 4 way, another truck went thru, and it was my turn, but the lady that sped up and got there afterwards, on the other side, decided it was her turn. She almost broadsided me, but my breaks worked. Then, a flat bed pickup pulled out in front of the line of traffic in front of us, and was going 25 mph... I saw no traffic coming, so I punched it to pass the 4 others in front of me.... oops.... an officer was attempting to pull over a car, who was only doing 20 mph. With them in my rear view, the very next intersection, someone was laying on the ground in the middle of the road...another person was trying to get her up & out of the way. Yikes!  She seemed ok and she was smiling... really?!  Crazy day.  

Sounds about like a standard morning commute out here, some days.  :gaah::24:

• Haha 2

Had to go to Walmart for oil and filter for my car and AC filter, Verizon to change something on DH's phone (twice), local grocery having big sale, thrift stores because that's what we do. Came home and made King Cake Bubble Up for get together tonight for 80th Birthday for Sunday School member. Still have to pick up friend for get together and get cake to Church early. I'm pooped! And hungry. Hard to smell the cinnamon cake and not eat it!  It is doable though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nuttin...'cept fixing meals and washing dishes.  Hubby did remove the dangling guttering from side of house and back of carport, here.  Snow just too heavy.  Not sure what kind of weather's moving in, but if the forecasted winds are the 35+ gust it would tear the guttering off the front of house, so removing it and cutting it into pieces was the best option.  He then took it over to homestead and put the metal in his recycle area.  Abby-girl and I are meeting ourselves coming and going!  The snow has melted and made a total loblolly just about everywhere, and there's still patches of heavy snow so we can leave her outside in her small yard here. Did bring over one of the turkey's and it's in the cooler defrosting.  I set up a table in the kitchen to put my roaster on and I'll put the turkey in it tomorrow (on low) and let it do it's thing.  I'm planning to jar up turkey.  He also brought over 3 cases of used pint jars we bought, so I'll have to wash and check the rims on those.  I don't have a useable dishwasher (it's a portable and I don't have the right connection for my sink) so it's a hand wash thing around this place.

• Like 2

Wow Annarchy...so glad you are okay! Quick thinking.

Those beans look so good up there.

I got a few errands done today. I keep forgetting to go to the bank until it's too late. I need to make a trip to the Dollar Tree for some readers. I keep forgetting that too. 

It's supposed to finally turn cold and snow late this weekend. I'm ready for it. I might go pick up a bag of those Cutie oranges though. 

I was putting together an order from Amazon last night. I'm still in the habit of waiting until I have a lot in the Wishlist before I order. Old hold over from before I had Prime. 

Anyway, I was looking at the plastic child proof things you plug into a wall socket. I want the clear ones. I found some and they were expensive. Can't remember how much now. But the kicker was if you wanted 'expert installation' it was ONLY an extra $95.00.Whatta bargain. I think I'll be able to figure out how to plug them in. Although it won't be a 'professional' job. I wonder what my insurance company would say if I asked them if I'd get a discount (fire hazard) if I get them professionally installed?  :grinning-smiley-044:

I did find some reasonably priced ones. They were 100 for around  $20.00. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We got the clear child proof plug protectors from WM because of our ferrets. We also had to get the wire harness tubes to protect the wiring on all our appliances, lamps, etc.  Of course, Jeepers, you shouldn’t have to worry about your little one chewing on the wires. :grinning-smiley-044:  

Today was getting the car checked out & an oil change. Looked at one of their Dodge caravans, it had everything we wanted, but it was black with a black interior & black seats. Can you imagine how hot that would be when it’s 115* out?  Nope, not going to happen. And, just to make me chuckle, it had heated seats too. :knary:

The car checked out fine. So, hopefully nothing is wrong. 

Picked up some 9 mil rubber gloves from Harbor Freight and then came home.

Took mom to the bank, pharmacy, dinner & the grocery store, came home & took it easy the rest of the day. We watched the news, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Last Man Standing, then, Live PD. The last call was a disturbance call, we couldn’t believe how many people filed out of that apartment and they were still coming out as they went to commercial. DH’s comment, “that wasn’t an apartment, it was a clown car”. His guess was close to 100 people. 

It was extremely windy today, the news said it averaged 45 mph with gusts up to 65. Whoosh!  It’s supposed to calm down around midnight and get cold. 

Tomorrow, I hope to get some weeding done in mom’s yard. It isn’t bad, but the only green in her yard right now, are weeds.  

• Like 3

Winter storm warning today - it is already slick out, the sky is leaden, and it feels like more is coming. We are stocked up, of course, and are watching old movies. I don’t know if we’ll get much precipitation, but if we do I think we’re pretty well set.

• Like 4

Washed some "nasty" used pint jars so I could jar up the turkey.  We got them free but boy were they nasty.  But I was able to get them cleaned out.  I used to buy those $Tree dish/bottle things (yellow, round pendages of foam) and I wear them out cleaning jars.  So...I removed the foam and took a sponge/scouring scrubby, rolled it so I could squeeze it into that round hole, and boy does it do a good job of scouring glasses, jars etc.  Wanna see?

101_0928.JPG

• Like 4

We got up about 5am this morning (wayyyyy too early for us!) and I put a turkey into one of my roasters.  With hubby's assist we got 8 pints of shredded turkey and 1 pint of stock.  I've got the turkey carcass and two chicken carcasses (I've kept in the freezer) in the roaster on very low heat and I'll jar up some wonderful turkey/chicken stock tomorrow...after we go out for breakfast.  It's a belated birthday thing for me.  Friend who went to Madrid for 3 months, her tenant called and had a ceiling light malfunction so he went over there to look things over and will replace the fixture with a cheapy and save her "vintage" one just in case she wants him to try and  re-work it for her when she comes back.  We saved the turkey legs for supper and I added some mac/cheese and green beans for supper. 

101_0929.JPG

• Like 4

First thing this morning (after chores and exercise), I got the two 6 qt. slow cookers going with dog food. Then went up to Church to help make soup, cornbread and sheet cakes. Came home and pressure canned the dog food and baked another 24 cornbread muffins for Church. Got 22 pints this time! 18 in the canner and 4 in the instant pot. I have another pressure canner but need weights for it so I can run them both at once. Covered roses and aloe vera before the freeze tonight. That's about it for today.

• Like 4

My son's friends came by the other day to level out the driveway, so I won't keep bottoming out on it.  They came in a car that rides higher than mine, and couldn't figure out where the problem was.  They improved a different area, though.  Today they came back and I walked them out to the place where the greenery between the tracks had been scalped down, and had a pipe-mark gouged down the middle.  They took care of it.  They also burned some trash and made headway on clearing the brush and overgrowth from the area the citrus will go in.  And they moved all the tenderest potted plants (avocados, the Australian finger lime, the Tom Kha lime, the cardamom, the pineapples, etc.) to the front porch.

• Like 6

Finished up the turkey/chicken stock today.  Ended up with 16 pints for us...plus 2 quarts of giblet stuff for Abby-girl...3 quart bags (in freezer) of odds-n-ends for Abby-girl to have added to her supper meal.  Now ask me if she liked it! :cele:  Hubby fixed friends light fixture and switch and then he's the one who literally picked the carcasses clean (to make sure no bones) for me to put in the freezer bags for our girl.  Tomorrow I'll probably work more on the red potatoes.  Glad they're out on the enclosed "cold" room!  We just eat so many potatoes.  Breakfast, potato salad, potato soup, scallops you name it.  So I always jar up a bunch! 

101_0930.JPG

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Doesn't that bottled chicken/turkey tastes so much better than the canned stuff?  

Absolutely!  And...isn't it nice to have people willing to help you get a few things done around your place!

• Like 1

We're flapping about trying to remember EVERYthing we need for DH to leave and me to stay.  I don't drive very far....not even to my folks' village.  Here I was making progress on decluttering until all this SNOW kept falling.  Now....  :( 

Hope we have enough hay.  Hope we think of everything.... 

Well truly, tho I can no longer attend my church, they are still there if I need them.  I have always done the Prayer Request Notification Emails.  For more than a decade, that's been mine and I can still do that.  So I put us on it tonite.  We'll be ok. 

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 3

We hit our lowest temp yet this am..19.  It's only getting up to around 30 today. The sun is out today for the first time in ages!

DH has been out of the hospital for a month now.  He is still spending all but about 3-4 hours a day in bed.  At least he is able to walk to use the bathroom and eat his meals now. That is an improvement.  I don't know why he is so tired all the time, but the Doc's don't really care.  He finally got out of the house on Friday for a doctor appt.  He still has clots in his legs and they are still swollen.  Of course, the doc didn't even look or touch them. Geez!

I am so sick of being housebound but I am stuck for the foreseeable future.  It is hard to be a caregiver when you are wheelchair bound yourself. Somehow we will muddle through.

Have a great week all!

• Sad 6

Abby-girl and I finally ventured out today with hubby, to run by Aldi's and $Tree for a few items.  Got the jars of Turkey stock washed and labeled and they're ready for transport to the homestead.  I'm keep several jars here because it makes wonderful gravy, soup or just a cup of nice hot stock to drink.  Stock is also good to add to potatoes for some added flavor.  So many wonderful uses!  Tomorrow we'll go to the license bureau to get tags for our travel trailer.  This year it's eligible for lifetime tags so we're going to do that instead of renewing them every 3 years.  We did that with both of his work trailers.  Also going to have to call the college and see when they're doing taxes.  They do them free if you're a senior.  We don't have to really file a tax return, they just file the necessary paper work for us to get our RE Taxes back (partially).  Helps a lot when you can get "some" of your RE tax dollars back.

• Like 2

Wow, just did some catching up in this thread.  Seems to be canning season...hopefully I can get to my (packed) canner when we pull the big freezer out of the shed where we have stored it the last year.  Finally decided to get rid of it - 15 cu feet, and too big to get in the house, and we were always "losing" things in there.  So we set up the small one we pulled out of our motor home instead.  Easier for us two ladies to move, we don't lose track of contents in there, and we will get another one the same size when we want more room.  Easier to conceal, too, if need be from prying eyes, as they are table size.  A nice tablecloth and there ya go.  AND they are much easier to get in the mobile home!  

So at church on Sun I asked our priest if he knew anyone who could use a large freezer. 

I'd rather donate it to a family than to Goodwill, who are developing a reputation around here for being snobby to poor folks they are asked to provide clothing and household goods for.  They won't let them take whatever they want/need from their store of DONATED items....just the stuff they cant sell for money.  That ain't my cuppa tea and not what I donate things for. 

I like this particular priest, he has what they call "a heart for the poor"  and he walks the walk.  He like to hunt, then butchers the meat and gives it away to poor families.  One of my penances once was to donate to the food pantry.  He knows the local homeless folks by name, on sight,  and stops to chat with them, helping where he can.  When a parishioner took him out to lunch, he gave his to a beggar they ran into.  He once joked from the pulpit that instead of going to Chick Fill-a he liked to "go out" to the wal mart deli - more bang for the buck.  My kind of guy, so I figured if anybody knew a family who could use a big freezer it would be him. I was pleased to see his eyes light up, and he said he could probably find someone who could use it.  When the weather gets a little dryer, we will pull the freezer out and set it up in the carport so I can sent him a pic on his cell phone.  If he can find a taker, we will borrow a friend's trailer and deliver it if needed though I would not put it past him to have someone lined up to pick it up, too.  Our church is not rich in material goods, but folks help one another.  So they get the freezer and any other things they might want as we unpack and trim down our belongings. 

Yes, I know I can sell them online, but here there are many scammers using it to scope out future burglaries.  We already have enough on our hands with the neighbor who is stealing our firewood (yes, again...this time he also took some longer tree trunks we had trimmed for building our rustic fencing & steps.  We know his truck, and with a friend we are planning a surprise for his next firewood pick-up.  We will cut more wood and leave it temptingly out where he took the last batch, with our co-conspirator waiting in the dark with his Doberman on a long lead.  The dog is a service dog and would not hurt a fly, but sure looks and sounds scary.  Hopefully that will let him know (without getting him arrested and starting a p___ing match  that we knew what he was up to and he should stop.  Hopefully.  Another neighbor is trying to lure the deer we feed, into his yard with a doe bleater, so he can shoot it for menacing his non-existing garden.  d**m poacher is all he is, and if I hear gunfire I WILL call the authorities for poaching.  No need for that crap.  The deer season is months long here, he is just too lazy to actually go hunt.  He'd rather sit on the back porch, drink beer and shoot one from his lawn chair, not paying much attention as to season or legality.  Heck, he's even too lazy to shine them and run them down with his truck!  Oy, some people!  He's one of the "wave at as you drive past" neighbors, NOT a "get to know" neighbor.  

Now you know why we consider hiding our freezers important...and also getting to know our neighbors and their.....errrrr….. foibles.

M & I saw the "super blood moon" last night.  It sure was pretty, and yes, the moon did turn red (with a pretty bright blue band around it) at full eclipse.  It was worth sitting outside for.  The garden is all covered up to ride out the cold snap at night, hopefully with flying colors.  I'd hate to lose things that are just getting to picking size!

• Like 3