MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Got a shipment of bread flour in and stored away. I am using quite a bit of it due to my sourdough obsession, so I decided to increase our storage of it, as we clearly didn’t have a one year supply at the rate I go through it! 

Also got the propane tank topped off - I always feel a *little* better prepared for whatever is coming when the tank is full. I wish we had a backup tank, or a bigger tank. Our present tank, when full, is not a one year supply. If TEOTWAWKI hits, we will have to alter our usage to make it stretch (one reason why I am working on alternate means of cooking and baking). Fuel is really one area where I still feel somewhat poorly prepped. We definitely need to work on this.

• Like 5

Today I was able to use my R shoulder after loosening it up ...and Nuprin.  So I did EVERYTHING

--Put in load of dark clothes, went to feed horses, ducks...let goat out to eat with horses.  Walked dog. 

--THEN Koa and I went to the village.  Less than 5 miles but I usually don't drive it.  Stopped at our mailboxes on the road about a mile or so up.  Then went to Post Office - sent a business letter for DH - had to buy an manila envelope and address it cuz we didn't have any at home.  Checked our postal box there...he uses mostly for bills and such.  Then across the street where a tall guy loaded up 3 hay bales on the roof rack of car.  {thankyouverrymuch}  Then up the road to library.  Up the elevator, introduced myself as DH's wife ...returning his videos.  They know him there cuz he checks out movies all the time.  DH always walks the dog in open areas near there so OF COURSE we must do that today!  Silly dog gets all excited!  Don't know where I was walking but good thing I had the ski pole as walking support.  Cuz there were multiple foot-size holes in that area ....missed getting a leg into two only cuz I began poking ahead of me with the pole.  OK, dog satisfied.  We voyaged home. 

THEN I have to untie the ropes and yank the bales off the roof....onto plastic sled and haul to hay shed.  [WHY did we not build that shed next to the driveway?????]  But with snow, it was pretty easy...except 2 out of 3 rolled off sled before quite arriving at their destination.  :sigh:   I was getting so tired that I wasn't as agile with the sledding.  Had to yank to get them into place in barn.  No stacking ....only 5 total in there.  Three more than I had this morning.

THEN I noticed the horse water tank was quite low and we have more storm weather forecast for tonite/tomorrow.  So I pulled the lower end of hose over and stuck in thru the twisted wires....pointing down into the tank......because I need to be able to see from up at the house, if it's running thru the hose.  I drive up to house and drop the upper end of the hoses down to ground.  We keep that end elevated up to the porch so it's in the sun and not buried in snow.  I'd already walked the whole length last nite after snow quit.....pulling hose up out of 3 foot drifts in some places.  So it had been laying on top, in the sun all morning.  All hooked up and turned on, yet I didn't see water pouring into tank.   I use binoculars but by then my hands had the exertion tremors so bad, I had to go up on porch where I could lean my hands against the post.  Nope...no water.  So I began walking down and making sure all areas of hose were still sitting in sunshine.  Adjusted hose here and there.  Walked half way back up and opened a juncture of two hoses....yay, I've got water running that far.  Finally it began to squirt/sputter at the end and then it was pouring into the tank.  :amen:   As I waited for it to fill, I checked in with my mom from one of the clearest 'phone booths' locations.  We had a chat while I watched the tank fill.  It needs to be emptied, scrubbed and filled....but that will not happen THIS day.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Had to walk back UP the whole hill again and shut off the water.  Then begin to ensure the water drains the whole way.  Take upper end of hose up stairs to dangle from porch railing.  It drains on the steep hill but I drove down to walk the level part on the lower end.  Lift and place it carefully on TOP of the snow when it's drained.  [course we have snow in the forecast for tonite/tomorrow..:0327:  

THEN I went up to house....put away this and that.  Brought dog and me and stuff from town up.   Heated leftover spaghetti in oven and lay on bed to REST.  Got CHILLED :frozen:  and turned on heating pad.  Got rest from 2pm to 5pm. 

THEN kinda raced around to put on the heavier coveralls.  Was getting dark {....and therefore COLD}  fast.  Poured warm water for ducks.  Had already laid more straw and more feed.  Gave horses a generous amount of hay for this likely COLD nite....again.  Last nite it was ZERO.  Walked dog in dusky-dark on road with headlamp.  Then got up to house to get things set up in basement for tomorrow's AM feeding.  Grab dog's teeth cleaning treat AND  the dark load of clothes from the dryer.  I'd switched them over during one of the passes thru the basement.  Dog assisted me and the heavy laundry basket up the stairs.  Got her treat, as expected.  Reported hat I was back INSIDE to my folks. 

SINCE I did so much yesterday and today....so many projects completed....I SHOULD be able to just do normal things, altho I never do morning chores.  That's a heavy extra.  But the BIG projects are done-for-now.  :unsure:   Except that 1-3" of snow predicted tomorrow.  :wacko:    Well, we'll see. 

MtRider  ....Day 2 has ended. 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

I got some errands run today while the weather is still decent. Earlier in the week we got a foot of snow then two days later it got up to 45 degrees with rain. Now its cooling back down to the 30's with rain and freezing rain scheduled for tonight.  Sheesh.

I got my banking done and went to the Post Office for some stamps before they go up. I can't say I really needed any but I'll use them sooner or later. They are good...forever.

Then I went to the pharmacy to pick up some scripts. I tried to get a shingle shot again but they are STILL out of the serum. I've been trying since before Halloween. No one has any. She said they have a waiting list but there are over 100 people already on it still waiting. I got the old vaccine some years ago so I feel like I'm sort of covered. Sort of.

I still need to pay some bills and swing by Office Max for some 'Fragile' stickers for a few packing boxes. I'm getting ready to pack up the pottery I've collected from trips to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I read where they are going out of business after 41 years. They were in a tourist location so I got some nice souveniers (SP) and keepsakes. I also need some brown packing paper too. Time to get back to packing up stuff again. Ugh.

• Like 6

yesterday was social security check day for me, so we did some shopping.  First to Wal mart yesterday, to get critical items from our end of the pay period shopping list.  Got everything on it except the meat, we go to another store for most of our meat.  The turkey thighs we got there turned out so good we wanted more, plus they were having a steak sale.  Their steaks and pork are superior to wal-mart's so wait for sales and get them there.  That was fitted around all the tests doc wanted before she would authorize my neck surgery and those took 5 hours total.  
So after fasting since 10 PM last night, and being in "test mode" until 3PM, well, a stop at IHOP was definitely in order!  So we were running all OVER the place.  The good news?  We found new chains for Chainsaw Mary's saw, and bought strawberry plants, raspberry bush transplants, rhubarb crowns, and a bag of seed potatoes.  Then we RAN for the checkout line to save the budget (literally) as I have no willpower when it comes to planting things, LOL.  

Tonight we go over to a friends house so I can use her sewing machine to tailor the scrub pants for Mary & I to wear this summer.  we like them, they are comfy for when it gets hot.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

We thought that the residual from the August house flood may be what's causing my ear infections. Sooooo ... we tore out two rooms and have been slowly rebuilding them with new windows and lots of extra insulation. Suppose to be -16 F tomorrow night. Sure glad we moved back up North in our retirement years ... nobody ever said.  :0327:

I decided on a long and narrow pantry at the end of the kitchen/dining room. I'm not sure DH was too excited about the four homemade barn doors I wanted to close off the pantry with. In his creativity, he's been shaving the old tongue-n-groove boards from the walls that were damaged by water. He hasn't been taking off very much wood in the planer, but I think the residual from this one door will make for a very happy garden in 2019. Three more to go.    :hapydancsmil:

P1040152.JPG

P1040159.JPG

• Like 7

Kappy, sounds like you've got some doozies for neighbors, and hopefully the Dobbie will send him home to change his shorts.  Donating is good, and like you say...to those who aren't "in business" to re-sell.  We've met many people through our lives that could use some decent furniture but these organizations don't "give" them any furniture, appliances or ???  they sell it.  The churches are almost always a better place, but I've also seen some of them gleen the really good stuff for themselves for their church sales and then send the unwanted stuff to "missionaries".  

• Sad 2

Yesterday I jarred up 16 half pints of spicy sausage crumbles that we bought from the Mennonite store.  The type that pizza restaurants put on their pizza's.  Really delish!  We got 5# for $5.76.  Today I jarred up another batch of the pizza sausage bits...again we bought so cheap!  Even had enough left over to have spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce, a pint jar of each for the frig and added some to chili for our lunch today. Using my roaster (I just turn it on 350 for 5 minutes with the lid on) to sanitize my jars makes it so much easier since I have such a small kitchen here and very little counter space.  Doesn't tie up my stove top when I have two canners going.  I also used my roaster to steam my spaghetti squash while the canner was going.  Doing half pints lets me double stack and only use one canner both times. I also used my vintage jelly jars...and put them back into the vintage box.  Only paid 3$ for 16 jars from a lady cleaning out an estate.

101_0934.JPG

Pork Pizza Crumbles.JPG

Sterilize jars in roaster.JPG

Vintage Jars & Box.JPG

• Like 5
On 1/22/2019 at 10:28 AM, Cowgirl said:

backup tank

We started several years ago scouting out empty propane tanks (the 20#?...the size we use on grill and on trailer) and buying them...and not a bit afraid to bargain the price down!  We usually pay about $15 each and then take them to WM and exchange them for a new full tank.  Just a suggestion that might make you feel a bit more comfortable?

• Like 2

Tuesday, Wednesday and today have been a bit of a bummer.  The heat pump igniter (gas backup) failed and we find out the whole unit was on recall so the furnace company won't touch it for repairs.  They did however give hubby the part numbers etc., and told him how to replace it.  That means a drive to the city for him to try and pick up the part...after he calls first!  With this weather I don't want him out on the roads if he doesn't need to be.  We put the EdenPur in the kitchen and it's keeping the kitchen nice and toasty so no plumbing issues there and there's no water in the new bath yet.  The upstairs water pipes were disconnected and treated with RV anti-freeze so they're no issue either.  The cellar has never frozen, just stays cold so the water heater should be okay too since it's down there.  The laundry/mud room we have always heated with a small ceramic heater so the washer pipes should be fine.  We could also take the EdenPur that we have here to knock the chill of over there also if we needed to.  And we could always resort to our Remington propane heater, its vent free but we're not living there and the house is open enough that it would do the job safely.  We also have a Big Buddy hooked up for a 20# propane tank and a small Buddy that runs on the little green propane cylinders.  But it's still a bummer. 

• Sad 5

Yes, bummer about the furnace, WE2.  :(  But of COURSE you're prepared with alternative heating to keep more damage from occurring!!!  :thumbs:

Homesteader......didn't you say you two were "retired"....cuz you seem to do doing a LOT of work for retired folks.  ;)  Hope the tearing out things and putting them back will clear up your health issues tho.   LOL ....DH returned to the Great North for these few days....and we DEFINITELY will NOT be retiring there.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Maui ....forced to join kids in Maui!  B)    {But affordability will make us sorry for that too!  Whew, expensive there!}

Well Day 3 has been MUCH MUCH EASIER!  It did snow today between 9AM and 1PM...but only got about an inch.  Some wind but nothing near that blizzard.  Told my mom I'd be out  about doing chores for an hour but morning feeding when it's been zero during the night takes longer.  Like JUMPING on the black rubber water bucket for the ducks....frozen solid.  Those things are nearly indestructible and I got the ice out.  Left ducks inside today but let the goat out.  She hung out in the hay shed, eating, til I closed the tarp/gate.  She hangs out with the horses and comes up to her house later.  So I was on the road walking dog and called my folks from a "phone booth" out there.  "Hi...still fine but give me another 20 min....yes, it's still snowing."  I was inside soon after. 

After getting out of alllll the clothes, boots, emergency gear in pockets, etc...I rested.  I'd had oatmeal for breakfast and later made a BIG cast iron pot of beef stew.  I had a roast of beef in the crock pot...turned out tender!  Used part of that for the stew.  Cleared frozen veggies from freezer ...into the pot!  Even a big ole turnip and greens.  Dumped in some leftover couscous.  All the potatoes left [ I hide in bedroom closet cuz it's dark...but still were sprouting] ....got chopped and put in.  Mixed veggie bag.  Turned out very good.  Will eat off that for a couple days and still have some left for DH on Sat nite.  AND my freezer is more cleared out.

DH plans to come on the ticket as is....unless something changes.  He has to be here by Tues nite cuz of my doc appt on Wed. 

Anyway, after my cooking spree.....[also stuck a fish fillet and cauliflower in oven  for lunch and ate raw carrots with that]. ....I RESTED for the afternoon.  Went down to feed with plenty of time to get back up just as it's getting dark.  Cuz it's COLD again tonite.  Talked to the MN crew.  No new catastrophes.  DH does NOT like the humidity and frigid cold up there.  :grinning-smiley-044:   But he's mostly inside with his mom.  Changing batteries for his sister tomorrow will be painfully cold.  He REALLY doesn't like working on cars....ESPECIALLY in the cold!  :frozen:

I am SOOOO thankful that my shoulder is not doing too bad.  It is not painful unless I reach to quickly...then I kinda screech.  But sometimes it's at constant screech-level pain.  It's not doing that so hey....this is great considering the amount of use it's had shoveling/sweeping/hauling water jugs/ etc.  My pathways are going to be a problem if we don't get our usual January Thaw tho.  :unsure:  I didn't shovel/sweep them clear as I normally do.  'Course... today's additional inch would have been more aggravating if I had. 

MtRider  :amen: 

• Like 2

Homesteader, I absolutely love barn doors. I've even seen them on cabinets. Not kitchen cabinets but on things like entertainment centers and storage cabinets. Cute!

Lovely sausage. Good idea on the propane tanks We2. I'd like to have a couple in reserve when I move...and finally get a grill, too.

I couldn't afford a lot of places to move to. Maui would be one of them. Do they have to have a lot of things shipped over there like they do in Alaska? Having your kids there will be a HUGE plus though. Hope they will help you and hubby in your golden years.

I fell asleep in the chair all afternoon  :huh:  

Now I'm going to be up all night/morning. I get turned around so easily.  :sigh:

6 hours ago, The WE2's said:

We started several years ago scouting out empty propane tanks (the 20#?...the size we use on grill and on trailer) and buying them...and not a bit afraid to bargain the price down!  We usually pay about $15 each and then take them to WM and exchange them for a new full tank.  Just a suggestion that might make you feel a bit more comfortable?

I don't know how I would hook up a little #20 tank to our house line to run furnace, etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of an extra #500 to #1000.

The bad news is that they're not bringing the part to fix our heater until Tuesday.

The good news:

1) We have electricity and space heaters.

2) We have wood and a fireplace.

3) We have four cats and lots of blankets.

4) This is Florida, and the super-cold weather is not due until Tuesday night.

5) I was already scheduled to work at home Tuesday.

6) It's covered by the warranty.

• Like 6
16 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I don't know how I would hook up a little #20 tank to our house line to run furnace, etc.

You wouldn't hook them to your home furnace, you'd need to use them on independent heat sources such as your kitchen stove, a vent free propane free standing gas stove etc.   We did find two 100# about 3 years ago for 100$ each but you can't get them filled unless you can stand them upright in a truck or ??  We have a cap on our truck so they're both just sitting.

• Like 2

Furnace update...weather was not too bad and the part store was much closer than thought, so me and Abby-girl went with hubby!  Part ended up only costing $65 +tax so we're feeling blessed!  Hubby worked on the furnace after we got home but admitted he hadn't watched close enough when the tech removed it ... so now he's got to do his research.  I'm betting he'll get 'er done!  High today was 35 but cloudy and windy so it felt a lot colder.

• Like 5

It’s quite cold here today. The warnings said the wind chill could be as low as -25*F. It’s not the coldest we’ve ever had, but it’s still pretty cold. I bundled up to do chores, wearing a fleece jacket under my heavy barn coat, a neck warmer, a hat, my coat hood cinched tight, lined work gloves, fleece lined pants, wool socks, lined boots.  If I had to stay out longer I’d add ski goggles and a face mask.

The chickens peek out their sally port door but choose to stay inside their house, out of the wind. I don’t blame them!

Brrrrr.

Nonetheless, after barn chores were done I had to do some grocery shopping. It was not delightful to unload the car in that wind. But I got that done. Stored it all away. Rotated out the stored food and tucked away the replacements at back of storage.

• Like 5

Glad there is more good news than bad news, Ambergris!  Even in sunny FL..... stay warm enough with the cats!  :)

Today was warm-ish.  35* with little wind.  I wasn't out except to feed X2.  Fell asleep at the computer in bed....woke when my hand fell off keyboard.  And good thing - it was getting late.  Late = dark and COLDER.  I hurried and got back in after sunset but while you could still see. 

If all goes as planned....DH will be home tomorrow nite.  :happy0203: 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 4

I hope he gets home safe and well.

Got down to about 33 last night.  Supposed to be a few degrees warmer tonight and tomorrow, then rain and a drop into the low twenties.

• Like 1