MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On 1/25/2019 at 8:53 PM, The WE2's said:

Furnace update...weather was not too bad and the part store was much closer than thought, so me and Abby-girl went with hubby!  Part ended up only costing $65 +tax so we're feeling blessed!  Hubby worked on the furnace after we got home but admitted he hadn't watched close enough when the tech removed it ... so now he's got to do his research.  I'm betting he'll get 'er done!  High today was 35 but cloudy and windy so it felt a lot colder.

Furnace is running great and the homestead is now warm all throughout! What a mighty God we serve!

• Like 4

Got my kitchen in some symbol of order.  When canning this much things seem to not get put away quite as well or as fast!  LOL  Hubby worked more on the wiring on the bathroom project now that the furnace is up and running!  Tomorrow we're going to finally go out for my belated birthday breakfast and then take a drive to see my step mum and my dad.  I promised her a jar of my elderberry syrup/juice and I'm going to also take a jar of my cran/apple jam.  Then Monday hubby's got to change out a kitchen faucet for a man friend who has severe sight problems.

I can relate to :dishes:  :dishes::dishes:  after my bulk cooking on Wednesday.  At least I didn't have to make anything else this week...except oatmeal and eggs.  Didn't even want to look at the mess until got a bit of energy this evening.  Hey....it's only me here.  The dishes will wait.  And now they're DONE!  :)   And I still have a bunch of leftover stuff ....good cuz this energy problem will take a while to restore.  :0327: 

MtRider ....DH is baaaack!  :amen: 

• Like 6

I finally found some Mounds chocolate bars. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. The package changed so maybe that's why they were off the shelf for the last four months. I rarely eat candy bars but once I find out I can't get them I want them even more. Sigh.

While at Wal-Mart I got some more stuff to make laundry soap. I plan to make a huge batch of the dry stuff and share with DIL. Neither one of us has ever tried it. I only have to do laundry about once a month here alone. It should last me a few years so I hope like it.

I picked up some of those foam insulated things you put behind wall sockets and light switches to help keep drafts out for the new house. I don't know if they work or not but they can't hurt. Along with the little safety plugs it should at least 'seem' helpful. I also picked up some door stops for the baseboards too. Who takes the door stops when they move?! I mean even if they were special, at least replace them with cheap ones to prevent wall damage. I have some dings and a pretty big hole in the wall behind the front door. Too bad because the paint job was new. I need some spackle, a putty knife and sand paper added to my list too. I forgot that.

I also picked up a couple of bath mats. Mine are so old the backing has dried out. They still look good but if you step on one you go sliding across the tile-like floor. Really fast! They are history now. They were super dangerous. A loaf of bread rounded out my Wally haul.

I tried to get some clear labels to use on my soap jar canisters but Office Max only has the full sheets. Five sheets for $16.00. I passed them up. Too expensive and not even what I really wanted. I'll try Staples next. If they don't have them I'll try the packing tape and water method I saw as a hack. Edges won't be as nice.  :shrug:

• Like 3

Haven't been feeling very well lately so started canning. DH told me to use the electric stove in the winter whenever I wanted to. It helps heat the house and he likes the extra goodies.  :hug3:  The woodburner can't keep up with the subzero weather. When the temps don't come out of the minus numbers, we're in trouble. The stove is more productive than the electric baseboard heat. This week has been prepping and canning kidney and pinto beans, and some split pea soup. When I cook like my friends with 6 and seven children, I pull out the canner and fill the pantry.  :hapydancsmil: I honestly can't imagine having to cook like that EVERY day for a family.  :0327:

P1040160.JPG

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

huge batch of the dry stuff

I have found that I enjoy buying the Zote Flakes (where they sell the diaper/fragile soaps) at WM.  I hate shredding!  So, I buy a box of the flakes, add my 1 cup of Washing Soda, add one cup of my Borax and add 1 cup of generic oxyclean.  Put it in an old blender of mine, give it a few whirls until it's a fine powder and I love the results!  Just sharing. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

labels

I write on the jar with a nice black permanent sharpie, then paint over it with clear nail polish.  Works for me.  I usually just write on the lid, but on some I need to see the side of the jar and that's what I do.  Cheap.

Homesteader...your jars look great! I think we all get the "canning bug" when cold weather sets in, and it's nice to have the heat and moisture in the house!  Right now I have an electric stove and also at the homestead, but we bought a nice gas stove last year that we'll put in the kitchen...after we get moved.  But you'll enjoy those jars!

Was a very nice day considering what we've had...got up to about 40 or so.  We went out to breakfast (which we seldom do) and then took some elderberry syrup and a jar of my cran/apple jam down to my Dad and StepMums.  He wasn't very alert today, spent most of his time watching a tv program with the sound off???  Then made sure we left with a tin of popcorn...which we promptly opened and nibbled on when we left :feedme:.  When we got home we loaded up all the boxes of jars and took them over to the homestead.  Gotta clear out our "bucket room" soon so we can re-organize things and move some of our dry goods upstairs.  There are two roomy closets that we can use up there for buckets. Then home for a very light "left over" supper.

If anyone has a "salad shooter" or similar efficient carrot shredder device.......shred Zote, Ivory, or Fels Napha soap bars with that.  Then just wash soap off thoroughly.  It is just soap.  I can go thru a whole bar with several turns of the handle on my Family grain mill....veggie attachment.  Not the knuckle scraper kind. 

My recipe for laundry soap is 1 cup of each [Oxiclean, borax, washing soda, Biz]...and 1/2 bar soap.  Jeepers, if you've never tried it, you might have to experiment both at your current house and when you get to the new one.  Different water drastically changes how different recipes work!  :clothesline: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   ....that's ginger/lemon tea I'm drinking tonite! 

• Like 2

Good Morning,

Saturday, cleaning day normally, was quite a day. Friday DH told me, he was meeting with 4 people to practice and then come home for dinner, then, another 3 people were coming to visit also.

I got up early & started a pot of beans, & dusted a bit, until the beans were done.  Went to the store, got the few items I needed, came home and started making hot Mexican cornbread, while 2 packages of ribs marinated. Transferred the beans into the haro, from the pressure cooker, and started pressure cooking batches of ribs. 

DH called, 3 people weren’t going to be able to make it, family illness. I understood, & continued preparing.  I put the last package of ribs in the freezer. Prepped the smoker and lit it. 

While tending the fire, I heard an odd crunch/crash noise, walked to the edge of the yard to see, nothing. However, as I was coming back, a young man approached our alley gate, saying, “I need help”. I went to the gate, with the dogs barking & growling beside me. He backed up against the neighbors brick wall, as I asked what he needed, he glanced back down the alley, where he had come from, as I stepped through the gate. 

An officer was heading straight for him, but because he was still quite a ways away, I looked at the guy, who, by then, seemed quite afraid the snarling, barking dogs were going to get him first. I promptly told him to get on the ground and put his hands behind his back, using my big girl voice. He complied rather quickly. The officer got there, cuffed him, asked if I was ok, and left. 

Back to cooking, I sent DH a quick text, letting him know.  I received a text from the other group of people, only 1 was coming.   :shakinghead:  Ok, now, maybe 2 plus us. Only one showed up for the feast. Lots of leftovers. 

Yesterday evening, DH’s friend called asking if we could help him with the deer he just got. We went over, field dressed it & hung it to drain & age. Sooo... today, my job is skinning & butchering it. Hope he takes notes, next time he’s on his own. I helped him last time he got one. Waste not, want not, he already gave us the heart. :feedme:  

• Like 3

It is just above freezing here today, and raining. Then the temp is expected to plunge down to about 0*F tonight, creating ice. By Wednesday the temps will be well below zero all day.

ICE.

Ice means possible power outages as power lines come down due to the weight of ice and as ice laden trees topple onto power lines. Below zero with no power is a grim prospect, and a disaster Midwestern preppers are much more likely to face than TEOTWAWKI.

Stay safe. Stay warm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Good Morning,

Saturday, cleaning day normally, was quite a day. Friday DH told me, he was meeting with 4 people to practice and then come home for dinner, then, another 3 people were coming to visit also.

I got up early & started a pot of beans, & dusted a bit, until the beans were done.  Went to the store, got the few items I needed, came home and started making hot Mexican cornbread, while 2 packages of ribs marinated. Transferred the beans into the haro, from the pressure cooker, and started pressure cooking batches of ribs. 

DH called, 3 people weren’t going to be able to make it, family illness. I understood, & continued preparing.  I put the last package of ribs in the freezer. Prepped the smoker and lit it. 

While tending the fire, I heard an odd crunch/crash noise, walked to the edge of the yard to see, nothing. However, as I was coming back, a young man approached our alley gate, saying, “I need help”. I went to the gate, with the dogs barking & growling beside me. He backed up against the neighbors brick wall, as I asked what he needed, he glanced back down the alley, where he had come from, as I stepped through the gate. 

An officer was heading straight for him, but because he was still quite a ways away, I looked at the guy, who, by then, seemed quite afraid the snarling, barking dogs were going to get him first. I promptly told him to get on the ground and put his hands behind his back, using my big girl voice. He complied rather quickly. The officer got there, cuffed him, asked if I was ok, and left. 

Back to cooking, I sent DH a quick text, letting him know.  I received a text from the other group of people, only 1 was coming.   :shakinghead:  Ok, now, maybe 2 plus us. Only one showed up for the feast. Lots of leftovers. 

Yesterday evening, DH’s friend called asking if we could help him with the deer he just got. We went over, field dressed it & hung it to drain & age. Sooo... today, my job is skinning & butchering it. Hope he takes notes, next time he’s on his own. I helped him last time he got one. Waste not, want not, he already gave us the heart. :feedme:  

Gotta love our dogs!!!

I always take our German Shepherds with me when someone comes to our gate. People don’t generally come to our gate as it is padlocked so they know they cannot come to our door. This tends to keep the would-be thieves away, as they cannot case our place to see if anyone is home.

But, we mounted a large bell on the gate post, with a pull rope to ring it. This way, people can still let us know they are there — UPS drivers, mail carrier, a friend or neighbor, etc. In theory someone ringing the bell could be legit, or they could be a thief using the bell to try to case the place. The pack is quite protective, though, and very intimidating. A 100 pound shepherd gives anyone pause. A pack of them? Let’s just say they make me feel very protected!

Glad your dogs were with you!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whoa, Annarchy.  Glad he wasn't armed and more stupid.  He decided to do the right thing...with your coaching.  Might have safe the idiot's life.  Glad you're all right.  Makes a greatly reduced dinner party anticlimatic. 

More snow and sun and snow...SHUN SNOWERS!  That's what we have.  :frozen:  B)  :frozen:  B)     .....but not   :knary:    Y'all in the path of that Polar Vortex, prepare and stay safe!  

DH and I are both doing better today.  No hot/chill today which was the worst symptom I had.  Still chasing this 'bug' down the road with our herbs and such tho.  My hands tremble and are NOT cooperating.  Can barely type two words without multiple errorrooorrrrs.  :gaah: 

MtRider  ...this too shall pass  :amen: 

• Like 1

Some good news here.  It might not even dip down into the twenties.  Also, the heater guy is coming tomorrow, so we might have heat for whatever does come.  (If not, there's backup.)

• Like 3

Sounds like Anny had an absolutely full weekend!  Yep...our furry protectors make others take notice if they come visiting without permission.  

I put up 8 more pints of red potatoes.  Probably got about 2 more batches then the 50# bag is done.  It's just so easy to grab a jar when I want potatoes, be it potato salad, hashbrowns, soup, stew...you name it.  I've already done all the peeling and cooking!  

• Like 3

I did a short exercise video this morning, took eBay photos and pressure cooked chicken legs in a ginger/ Asian sauce (low sodium). Other than that, I have been being sick with some type of upper respiratory infection. Just been cold all day and looking forward to getting in bed with the heated throw over me! We are supposed to get an inch of snow in the early morning which doesn't happen often here. Staying home!

• Sad 4

It was absolutely blustery cold today!  Blew one of our trash dumpsters over, wind caught the lid and flipped it up, and over it went.  Glad everything was bagged!  I heard the crash and really didn't know what to think until I went to the door and looked out.  The recycle dumpster stayed put even though it was on the outer side...figure?  Maybe because it had glass and cans in it?  Hubby put in the new faucet for our friend and on his way to the bank got a call from another client that's somewhat disabled...one of his light bulbs in his VERY high ceiling went out.  When he got finished the client said he'd "barter" ... and hubby got a stack of books...:thumbs: The faucet money gave hubby a few dollars of spending money...:thumbs:

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

been being sick with some type of upper respiratory infection

If you have any yarrow and mullein leaf, make yourself a tea and put in some honey and ginger as well as lemon.  Then off to bed with ya!  This may not be an "acceptable" method for mullein but...if people smoke it, it's said to almost instantly clear congestion etc.  Never have tried it but we keep a couple of "instruments" to do so in a life changing event situation.

• Like 2

Jeepers, I refuse to buy jar lables anymore, and the office ones leave a residue....if they stick....so I just coy a page of them I made up myself.  They are small enough to fit nicely under the strip of clear packing tape I use to put them on the jars.  They come off clean, the tape keeps them from getting wet and illegible, and I can put anything I want on the labels.  Cheap, too.  An occasional roll of packing tape from Wally once in a while (Chainsaw Mary keeps borrowing the tape, lol).    Lately have been using the generic ones, because I have been jarring up odd assortments of stuff from dried herbs to rubber bands (they stay stretchy longer).  Labels generally are like this

(sorry they are kinda cock-eyed, they don't copy-paste so good). 

BEANS, SNAP   08-18

REHYDRATE BY BOILING

WATER SOAK OR SIMMER

UNTIL SOFT. 

FROM GARDEN, CULTIVAR

“CONTENDER” BUSH

EGGS, PICKLED     12-10

JACKIE CLAY’S RECIPE

PRESSURE CANNED, SUB

DILL FOR PICKLE SPICE

RICE, WHITE LONG GRAIN

P + s                     IN 05-12

USE 1 C RICE + 2 C BOILING

WATER, SIMMER 20 MIN

FOR 3 CUPS RICE

BEANS, DRY BUSH

TURKEY CRAW FROM SSE

PROLIFIC BUSH, 18”, 120

DAYS TO DRY.  HOLD

SHAPE WHEN COOKED

MILD FLAVOR (D LIKED)

HOMEMADE SHAKE+BAKE

Good on chicken or pork; rinse

Meat, drip dry, shake, bake on

Ungreased pan @ 350 to 400

Potatoes: coat dry wedges w. oil

then shake & bake alongside

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

12-year-old has a stomach bug (vomiting, no fever).  Hubby says he feels queasy (which, the last time he got a stomach bug that we know of, he had diarrhea twice and was done with it while I was throwing up for 3 days, so this does not bode well for me).  The school says that it's going around and some kids have tested positive for the flu.

I'm working from home today to try to not spread it further, and doing all the things to try not to catch it myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
12 hours ago, The WE2's said:

If you have any yarrow and mullein leaf, make yourself a tea and put in some honey and ginger as well as lemon.  Then off to bed with ya!  This may not be an "acceptable" method for mullein but...if people smoke it, it's said to almost instantly clear congestion etc.  Never have tried it but we keep a couple of "instruments" to do so in a life changing event situation.

Wait, what?  

*goes a-Googling*

• Like 1
13 hours ago, The WE2's said:

I have pineapple juice and fire cider!  Must have had a fever last night as I woke up at 3 AM with sheets and pillow just soaked.  At least it broke!  Feel a little better this morning and taking it pretty easy today.  Washing one load of laundry and baking chicken for dog treats and to warm house.  Nothing else scheduled.  45 for a high today.  Next week, it will be 70 degrees.  Wow!

• Like 2