MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Before I put up the butter "we" vacuum sealed about a dozen packages of "cooked sausage crumbles" that we had purchased some time ago from the Mennonite store and it was in the deep freeze.  They come in so handy for pizza, burritos, casidillas, chili rellano casserole, sausage gravy, mixed with eggs...so many uses.  Then...I cleaned up my mess from jarring up the butter just in time for supper! 

• Like 1

Wow Homesteader, we have similar tastes in decorating. I really love the look of barn doors. I'm trying to figure out where I can put one in my house. I won't have a pantry and my laundry room is just a closet. And that looks like the shade of blue I want for my dining room.  I'm going dark with my light fixtures too. I know how you feel about electricity. It scares me!  If you tell me you are going with dark handles and pulls on your cabinets I might start to worry. 

Sorry the Mr. took a spill. It is daunting when it happens. Sometimes I just go down without even tripping on anything. I feel more stunned than hurt.

No negatives from me on the butter. It isn't recommended but as long as we know that and do what we believe is best for our family then it becomes a personal choice. 

Having said that, it does look yummy and when I get moved I'll no doubt try it too. 

• Like 2

Very nice Homesteader.  

My little brother brought a load to AZ again, picked him up and took him to the church he wanted to go to.  Had a nice visit, chit chatting on the 100 mile round trip. I was impressed to see his company has put a big sticker on both sides of his truck, ‘Vetran of Foreign Wars’. Nice to see they respect the veterans. My lil bro was in the Gulf war, shooting down skuds. 

I hope your DH is feeling better, WE2. I fell last June and am still dealing with it. :imoksmiley:

The tomatoes are ripening quickly.  Hopefully, I’ll get a few pints processed today. Unfortunately, the wood lice have decided the tomatoes are tasty. They decimated a few of them, but the hens were extremely grateful for tomatoes with bugs. Lol.

Dawn is breaking, and I should get busy.  I need to get some laundry done before the next storm hits Thursday. They are forecasting rain for a week. :shrug:

Hoping everyone one has a beautiful day. 

• Like 2

Wow Homesteader, we have similar tastes in decorating. I really love the look of barn doors. I'm trying to figure out where I can put one in my house. I won't have a pantry and my laundry room is just a closet. And that looks like the shade of blue I want for my dining room.  I'm going dark with my light fixtures too. I know how you feel about electricity. It scares me!  If you tell me you are going with dark handles and pulls on your cabinets I might start to worry. 

Sorry the Mr. took a spill. It is daunting when it happens. Sometimes I just go down without even tripping on anything. I feel more stunned than hurt.

No negatives from me on the butter. It isn't recommended but as long as we know that and do what we believe is best for our family then it becomes a personal choice. 

Having said that, it does look yummy and when I get moved I'll no doubt try it too. 

Well looky here. I was going to respond in this thread and when I clicked on the area to start typing I found this old post waiting to be submitted. I guess I forgot to hit the reply button...a couple of days ago. I'm losing my mind. 

All I wanted to say was it's so cold here again. For the first time this winter I'm really feeling it in neck. Along with jaw ache and a migraine coming on. It's all connected. Looks like the Kindle and I are going to be BFFs for the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

Don't think it was "Operator Error" this time, Jeepers.  It looks like you did hit the reply but now it duplicated for some reason.  [Look above Annarchy's post]  This one looks like the MrsS system goofed.  :rolleyes: 

Take it easy if the cold is making you uncomfortable.  Ebooks are so wonderful....take them with you anywhere you want to curl up and read.  My laptop is not quite so versatile but still, I have a sort of 'desk top' thing for on the bed.  That's where I curl up for a nice session of reading. 

Nice you can see your brother when he's "in the neighborhood", Annarchy.  I had a looong talk with mine today in fact, on the phone tho.  Had to discuss some hard topics tho, about health and such.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   <----- we don't have many desktop 'puters anymore.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Thanks 1

Yes, hubby is fine.  Just bruised and frightened him facing a bit of mortality?  We loaded up all the foods I have jarred up and took them over to the homestead house.  Gonna have to do some serious re-organizing there!  Also picked up some more foods that I'll be needing here.  Felt so good for all three of us to get out a bit and enjoy a little sun.  While hubby was working on the bathroom project this afternoon I did some "multi-tasking".  Brought over a case of potatoes from 2015 that I'll be using for all our potato needs.  Put a big hen in my crock pot, pressure canned some barley/lentil soup, thawed a ham for sandwiches (I'll need to drag out the meat slicer!) , and made some chili relliano for supper.  Ended up with a whole lot of nice meat off that hen.  Shredded, bagged and waiting to cool for the freezer, as well as 2 pints of stock and another gallon bag of carcass stuff to make more stock with and hubby will again, pick to bits everything he can for us to bag up for our girl to have her evening snack.  Got almost 3 quarts of the soup, and it will just go in the frig.  I didn't pressure cook it because we'll eat it quite soon.  Had enough of the casserole to put another meal in the freezer. We'll be delivering Valentine flowers tomorrow morning so it will be an early start.  I enjoy cooking for one day and eating probably all week with little effort.  We've been rotating out of our extended pantry for several months now so we'll be re-stocking probably around June.  And again when the Mennonite Produce Auction starts in.  We buy bulk, freeze and then I pressure can and  vacuum sdeal like a crazy woman!  Not planning to do any dehydrating until I get moved.  Just don't have the room here anymore.  

101_0957 Potatoes 2-2015.jpg

101_0958 Pressure Cooking Soup.jpg

101_0959 Poblano Peppers.jpg

101_0961 Hen in the Crock Pot 2-2019.jpg

101_0963 Honey Ham 2-2019.jpg

101_0964 Barley-Lentil Soup 2-12-19.jpg

• Like 3

Well that's strange about that post. Oh well. No harm. I always figure it's my doings when it comes to computer problems. It usually is.

Glad you got to visit with your brother Annarchy. Nice to keep in touch with family while you can. 

I'm sure you have some health related issues about your folks to discuss with your brother too Mt. Rider. Sigh. Rock and a hard place...

it's hard to sleep tonight with the wind howling outside. It's really strong. At least I don't have that fence in the back yard to worry about any more. 

I've got the Kindle Fire on so I'm watching documentaries for the next few days. Head hurts too bad to read. I need to YouTube septic systems too. I have no idea what is good and what isnt. I'll probably have some questions soon. 

Dang We2, you're killing me over here. :canning:

• Like 5

Have brown rice on the stove and waiting for it to be done, then go on walk. Take eBay photos. Watch a couple of my recorded shows that DH doesn't like. Get haircut at 1:30. List the photographed eBay items and go to prayer meeting at Church at 6.

I have someone to deal with tonight.  I posted in Psst.

• Like 1

Good Morning everyone,

Pulled out some supplies to can the tomatoes, but found that I don’t have anymore large mouth lids, yesterday. I will have to go get some later today. I think we might get about 6 pints out of them, so far. Ended up boiling the deer leg bones, then put them on the barbecue, while cooking our burgers.  The dee-oh-geez loved them. Gunny, who is DH’s Klingon, tried to sit on my lap last night, I suppose he was telling me ‘thank you’. 

Jeepers, the editor box does that to me too, occasionally. IDK exactly why. Usually, I click on the “clear editor” black/gray strip near the bottom. :scratchhead:

The hens are finally laying again, so I don’t have to buy any eggs for a while. :thumbs:

I’m working on my garden plan. Hopefully, I’ll be able to turn the soil after this storm passes. I have to harvest all the beet greens, cut back the frost damage on the tomatoe plants, and harvest the remaining carrots, first. Probably could get some of that done in the mean time. 

Time to get motivated. 

Hoping everyone one has a fantastic day. 

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Hoping everyone has a great day. I have a ToDo list going, we’ll see how much can be accomplished. 

Cloudy, but the birds seem to be loving it. Last night, the hummingbird wars were aggressive. At least 15 zipping around our 2 feeders, trying to get a spot. Our gardener was standing next to one of the feeders and stepped away because there were so many around him. Lol. 

Time me to get at it. 

• Like 1

What type of hummers do you have in AZ, Annarchy?  We have the ruby-throated greenies and later in the summer, the more aggressive [won't share feeders] Rufus variety.  They are gold-rust colored.  Fascinating but a bit single-minded about where they're flying!  Like bats...dipping so low.  Or is it their humor....to see US react?  :lol:  They sit on my clothes line and at first glance, you might mistake them for the clothespins. 

Low energy day for us.  DH is still struggling with the cough and his back was strained today.  A bit better tonite.  He did feeding, etc and I did other half which is walking dog.  Treacherous as that has become lately.  <_<   Had to nearly dive for the ditch as some self-consumed, I-am-the-world IDIOT nearly ran us down.  "Oh?  Wot's that ya say?  I gotts ta share me road wi' the likes of you, eh?"    :sassing:    Koa was completely OFF the road but I was just on the edge of ditch.  Came around corner at 60 mph instead of a more traditional speed on sloppy, icy gravel, no-sight-distance curvy roads.   The car tonite was going fast but wasn't crowding the side cuz we were quite visible.  I'M WEARING A LIT HEADLAMP AND A BLAZE ORANGE VEST!!!  I still take us into the ditch...going that fast with ice and melt water everywhere and the curves....  Not taking any chances.  They need to slow down!!

MtRider  :imoksmiley: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Mt_R, we have Black-chinned, Anna’s, Costa’s, Broad-tailed, Broad-billed hummingbirds and many more that migrate in the spring/fall.  Because the move so quickly, sometimes it isn’t easy identifying them. It takes them less than a week to empty the 2 feeders.  

Stay safe, walking Koa. Hopefully that person will learn to slow down, before something bad happens. 

Re-wired one of our torch lamps yesterday. We had a ferret that couldn’t resist chewing on it. I had already replaced the other one, a couple of years ago. I have no clue why the little fuzzy faces are attracted to electrical cords. We ferret proofed the house, but a few cords were impossible to cover. We even had them covered with plastic sheaths, he found a small area without sheathing and destroyed it. 

I hope everyone has has a blessed day. 

• Like 3

Another winter snow storm moved in this morning...so far we've accumulated about 5 inches or so.  Very cold so the snow is very light weight, but that makes no difference ... snow is snow ... and there have been terrible accidents all over the state, some tragic I'm sure, and lots of truckers involved in some.  So....we're inside again.  Just not worth trying to get out in this stuff.  Wednesday and Thursday were beautiful days, and we were glad because we delivered flowers again this year for both days.  Thursday the temp dropped from 60 to 26 in 3 hours.  We had to quit a bit after 7 because we just couldn't see the addresses because people don't have them well marked and lots have motion sensored porch lights so there's no way for us to identify them from a vehicle travelling down the street.  Sadly, there were 3 that didn't get their Valentine flowers.  The florist we work for is very generous and made sure we had lunch on both days.  Wednesday our Abby-girl was truly stressed we believe.  The morning we left her in the house, came home to let her out and feed her some kibbles, and then put her in her kennel for the afternoon.  When we got home she was so "needy" (all over both of us) and was drooling like crazy so I was up several times checking on her to make sure she was okay.  By morning when we got up (5:00 am) she was fine, but we left her inside for the day and came home to let her out and feed her some lunch.  We were glad we did because it turned so cold so quickly and we were so late getting home.  But...she was fine...just glad to see us.  She's never reacted like that before, but I'm thinking it may be have been because she's been "cooped up" with us for almost a week because of weather and then all of a sudden both of us were gone.  Dogs adjust to companionship very quickly!  So today we just played hookie and rested up, playing some toy throws with our girl!  

101_0965 Snow Storm 2-15-10  two to five.jpg

• Like 2

Stayed put again today.  Supposed to have more bad stuff moving in before long...according to the weather.  So far we're not getting anything even though the map says we are! LOL  Vacuum sealed some shredded chicken from the hen I put in the crock pot.  Kept it in frig until today.  Ended up with 7 bags with just enough for us to have one meal in each bag, be it soup or ???  Also fixed a potato-corn-pea chowder (with some bacon bits) for our lunch.  Glad we brought the case of potatoes here from the homestead for our breakfast hashbrowns as well as soups.  Supper tonight was beef tenderloin with plenty of homemade gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans.  Didn't take a pic...dived in before I knew it!  I was HONGRIE!

101_0966 Potato-Corn-Pea Chowder.jpg

101_0967 Almonds-Cranberries Snack.jpg

101_0968 Shredded Chicken 2-16-19.jpg

• Like 2

Another cooped up day...this is sure getting interesting.  Supposed to have another storm moving in Tuesday that will be as heavy as the one last week...so we'll try to get out tomorrow to check on the homestead house and the Roost.  If we get 2-4 more inches on top of what's already here it's going to be even more interesting.  Just did some laundry so I'll have half of it done that I usually do on Monday's so I won't have to mess with it tomorrow.  Still very cold and not much sun so nothing is melting.  We both took a big dose of Magnesium tonight after supper but hoping we'll also get some sunshine tomorrow.

• Like 2

It's sleeting or freezing rain here. I made a quick run to the post office to drop off some bills and stopped in the store for some bread as I'm about out. Just from the short time I was in the grocery store my car windows and door handle were frozen with a thin layer of ice. It's supposed to stay cold like this for the next few days.

Bills are paid and the pantry is full so I'm hibernating for awhile. 

• Like 3

Raining... gray day. Plant covers are soaked.  Told DH to leave them on while I am gone. Forecast says freeze warnings for the rest of the week. 

Looking like I might be able to travel between the storms on Wednesday, but, coming back on Sunday, I’ll have to watch for ice. There will probably be snow in Lordsburg, always pretty to see. 

Need to go to our little store, later, and pick up a couple of things to round out the supplies for DH. I have been working on my list for the trip. Still need to make “Angel” eggs for MIL & DH. Maybe make them some cookies too. 

Happy Presidents’ Day. 

:bouquet:

• Like 3

Cool and windy here today, with rain expected later in the afternoon.  I'm staying in!

Already have laundry going, will cook sausage and eggs for DH, clean up suitcase for trip in March, straighten bedroom closet for shoes, cut mats off of Peanut before she goes to beauty parlor tomorrow, and probably more eBay.

Have a safe trip Annarchy!  I hate ice!

• Like 2

I've been so busy.  I hardly even have time for the internet. Plus my computer is recharging sporadically.  I haven't had time to see what's wrong with it yet.

We are getting rain like crazy too.  They are predicting up to 8 inches this week. I feel so bad for those who will get flooded in the low lying areas..  Alot of them can't afford to move or rebuild.

Although he is still weak and not able to walk as much as he used to, DH is at least holding his own with a little occasional improvement.  Unfortunately, my Aunt had a stroke and it doesn't look good. She is 96 though so it is not so unexpected. This is her first serious illness ever!

Hubby is getting spring fever.  That is good for him mentally but I hope his health holds up until the crops are ready to harvest!

Hope everyone has a great week.

• Like 3

Seemed like a heat wave here...high was 27!  But...not much wind, no sleet, no ice, no snow...but another "biggie" is expected to come in Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning.  We took advantage of the little bit of sunshine and checked both homestead and the Roost.  I stood outside the truck every chance I got to get some of those rays that were peeking through the clouds and we took our time walking into the various stores etc. 

Picked up some half pint jars from homestead so I can jar up some of my frozen mixed veggies.  A half pint works great for a pot of soup for two.  Stopped at Sav-A-Lot and picked up some hot chocolate (they didn't have any boxes of spiced cider), some apples, some bananas, some oranges and a loaf of bread.  Had to go to Aldi's to get celery and carrots for stews etc.  Don't want to get into the stew starters that I jarred up.  

Sooo...I guess we're ready for another round.  Hubby says he may try to work on the bathroom project sometime in the morning before the bad weather sets in.  I'll keep an eye on the weather and give him a call if it starts before he comes back here. 

Our Abby-girl had a romping good time in her big yard at the homestead, jumping and sticking her nose in the snow.  Then she danced across her back seat all the way around town and all the way to the Roost.  So...she's happily snuggled in her bed...until I get through here and she knows it's "snack time". 

• Like 2

Almost two feet of snow around here. Won't be starting the garden anytime soon.   :24:   It's been hard with the shoveling as DH had hand surgery last week for trigger finger. They cut through the palm to find the sheath around the swollen tendon and cut it off. He has more that will need surgery in the future. He's a high-maintenance DH.   :0327:

We've had back to back company the past several weeks. Got the dining room ceiling painted and the lights reinstalled the day before the marathon. Looked great but clean-up for company sets us back a day each time.  :scratchhead: I hope I can find my drywall mudding and painting supplies again.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Between cooking for an army, shoveling snow, hauling wood and doing the dishes for 'patient' DH, I'm tired.  :imoksmiley:

We start packing 'mom' next week and moving her into a retirement community in three weeks. It's been exhausting physically and emotionally for me. She wants to keep everything and digs her heels in the sand when I try to get her in motion. I hope I don't live to be 92 yrs old. I wouldn't like myself.  :whistling:

P1040182.JPG

• Like 3

I'm tired.  just keeping up on things.  A little snow here and a little more there....  Don't have what WI has gotten.  But we've been subzero at nite again.  Got a muscle spasm in my back today....where'd that come from?  DH adjusted me before he went to work....helped and it worked itself out while I was feeding tonite.  Got to wash hair and drying it...that's when it began again.  Hoping it's just some passing thing.  Come to think about it, DH had a back spasm-for-a--day last week.  Some sort of virus?  Hope it's gone tomorrow.  It's a cold week....you'd think it was winter or something!  Hmph.  The past couple winters have been quite mild and I like that a lot better.  Must be gettin' old.  :buttercup:

I've spent some time going thru  ....and rather frantically LOOKING FOR.....some stories I've written thru the years.  Well, I should say 'partially written'.  I've been feeling the writing itch and thot I'd look up some.  The characters from a couple of sort-of similar stories were calling me....and then I couldn't find those particular ones.  Looked thru my spiral notebooks.  Looked thru the folders on my laptop.  :o  Finally began looking on older thumb drives.  They shouldn't be there cuz I THOT I'd carefully gathered all stories into a main folder...with plenty of subfolders within.  Well I'm glad I looked.  I rescued about 7 partial stories from the oldest thumb drive.  Including the two I was looking for.  Weird.  But :amen:      .....it's like looking for lost children!  

MtRider  :reading: 

• Like 4