MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Good Morning,

Today is final prep day for my monthly trip to MIL’s. Was able to get some things done yesterday but it seems my list got bigger.  :icon19:  DH wants a supply of taco meat too.  :rolleyes:  

Frosty this morning. Rained off & on all day yesterday and when I went to the store, coming out, heavy rain started to fall filled with little snow balls. Soooo..  it snowed here !  :hapydancsmil:  Not really considered snow, probably very soft hail, but I’ll take it. 

Momo, I hope your DH continues to recover. :pray:

Homesteader, your remodeling is impressive. You inspire me to do something around here. Hoping your DH heals quickly too. :pray:

Time to get motivated, have a great day everyone. 

• Like 2

Safe travels Annie!

I hear you about JUST keeping up this winter Mt. Rider. The cold has really taken a toll on me this year. I hardly ever get sick but this winter started out with an *upper respiratory infection that lasted months. Now I think I might be getting some kind of virus because I'm feeling really nauseous and a couple of times I had chills. Dang. Plus the other normal arthritis aches and pains. I just want to get to my 'forever home' and settle down to my own pace.

*Where would the lower respiratory area be? :scratchhead:

• Sad 2
On 2/18/2019 at 8:35 PM, Homesteader said:

Between cooking for an army, shoveling snow, hauling wood and doing the dishes for 'patient' DH, I'm tired. 

Where's your help doing these chores!?  Let the army step up and do some work for their meals! :laughkick:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Stayed home today and jarred up some mixed veggies and hubby worked on the homestead bathroom project...wiring.  He said he got a lot of it ran but crawling in and out of the man hole from the root cellar to the crawlspace was tiring.  It's a small space and he's a good sized fella.  It's snowing now ... like the "cats and dogs" scenario?  No doubt we'll be hunkered down again for ???  Found some packets of hot spiced cider mix so I'm fixin' to go make us a cup!

• Like 2

Annarchy....you had "graupel" which usually forms in high altitude like up here.  Bitty snow balls.  Usually melt quickly.  Pronounced graw pull  ......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

Have a safe trip to MIL!

We had bright sunshine and snow today....not at the same time.  Liked the sunshine better.  Melted off last nite's snow....then we got more.  :sigh:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

We dodged a weather bullet last night and this morning...PTL!  It snowed about an inch, then a thin layer of ice and then this morning it rained and melted all the ice...the temp was 34.  We stayed put any way since we had planned to do it anyway.  I did a bit of laundry, called to make an appointment for next Tues to get our tax filing in and got some things in the pantry here sorted a bit.  Boy have I got a job to do in that room...but it'll just have to wait.  Just not in the mood to tackle that job yet because I want to move a lot of the stuff over to the homestead.

we are getting ready for my neck surgery next Monday.  Saw the neurosurgeon and he showed us the MRI of my neck where he is going to fix it - he will remove vertebrae 5 & 6 in the neck, put in a spacer, then a cage to hold everything in place.  Screwing it on using vertebrae 4 & 7.  Yep, the MRI showed it was pretty doggone bad.  When I asked what the expected result of the surgery would be, the reply was (deadpanned) well, you wont be paralyzed in the future (!)  I wise cracked back, "Well, that is a GOOD thing."  As always the prep is more trouble (for me) than the actual surgery - I have to scrub down with surgical soap daily for 5 days prior to surgery,, putting on freshly washed clothing when done,  sleep on freshly washed sheets nightly, and cant allow the pets to sleep with me as they are accustomed to do (and I am accustomed to as well).  Oh well.  Today we bought some soft foods as I may have trouble swallowing for a while after the neck surgery.  They get to the neck vertebrae from the front, through my throat, moving my trachea & esophagus over, then replacing them when done.  Sounds tedious, I'm glad I'll be asleep instead of on the waiting room end of it.  

• Like 3

Oh my, Kappydell, that’s what my mom had done. Praying for your complete recovery. :pray:

Made it to TX safety. :amen:  Tired. 

We decided to skip this month’s Chamber meeting, it’s a trolly ride on the new trolley the city put in. IMHO, it ruined the roads around here. No biggie. It is what it is. Personally, I think it ruined a bunch of business in the area. Half have already shut down. But, what do I know?   

Bed time......  💤💤💤💤💤💤

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow Kappy that sounds gruesome. I have heard of them doing it that way. I guess it's the better way of doing neck surgeries now. But dang...

I didn't know a person had to do all of that prep work though. Double dang...

:pray:     :hug3:     :pray:

Sending prayers for Mary too. I'm sure she is nervous. Hope she will have someone in the waiting room with her.  

• Like 1

I will pray for you Kappy. I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms for DH. He's high maintenance.   :whistling:   He only had to do two days of washing, scrubbing, etc before his knee replacement.  All of the instructions before the procedure were in a 3-ring binder.   :0327:  My uncle had surgery similar to yours. He had great relief afterwards and has lived many productive years since then.    :hug3:

• Like 1

Glad you arrived safely, Annarchy.  We've got this unsettled weather going on out here in SW.  :unsure:

:pray: for Kappy's surgery and  :o  all those pre-op procedures.  Is that something new for surgery or is yours...and Mr.Homesteader's knee exceptions????

MtRider   :pc_coffee:    ...off running today  [not literally, of course] 

Joined our "friends group" at one of the homes and our friend in Madrid called and we were all able to talk with her (and see her and she could see us individually) for almost an hour.  She really had some funnies to share!  Life is very different there to say the least! :laughkick: After we got home and had lunch, hubby worked on the homestead bathroom project and may be very close to putting in the "runs" to the boxes.  In the mean time here, I jarred up 8 more half pints of mixed veggies (using Tattler's) and still have about that much more to do.  Then that big old bag of frozen veggies will be out of the freezer leaving a lot of room on that particular shelf.  

Then we got on our phones a bit ago and called a friend who's just had a knee replacement.  He sounded fine and said the docs were very pleased with his range of motion already.  Poked him a bit for some fun and laughter.  He should be home in a few more days I would guess.

Edited by The WE2's
Added content.
  • Like 1

Took mom shopping to get a couple things she needed.

Then, her friend came over. C needed non-family members to witness power of attorney papers & non-resuscitation papers, for her husband, who has bad Alzheimer’s and is in hospice/an assisted living home. He got too hard for her to take care of, was wandering out of the house, in the middle of the night, knocking on the neighbors doors and was becoming violent with her. Such a heart breaking situation. At least her sister came down from Montana to help her with everything and give her support. 

We stayed home the rest of the day. Mom watched the news, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and a marathon of Last Man Standing. (As usual). 

Tomorrow, I need to call the car service people and get a quote for fixing the suspension and struts on the car. I-10 is in dire need of repair.  It gets worse every month. Bad potholes and very rough surfaces. 

Hopefully, I will get to the grocery store, for the sausages DH wants me to get him, depending on the weather. 

Prayers for your friend, Annarchy.  Altzheimers is a cruel disease. 

Ugh. Found out that my check in time is 0545 for surgery.  With the drive we will have to leave at 0500.  I think I'll just stay up, since I usually don't go to bed until around 3 AM anyway. I'm getting impatient to just get it done.    Meanwhile we will clean & neaten house & try to get all the lifting stuff done that M can't do alone.  '

On  different note, I am doing germination tests on seeds that I run across that I have saved.  I'm happy to report that the ones I sealed up back in 2010 (dry beans) are a vigorous 100% viable.  I am gratified, as I put them up according to the seed savers' exchange directions for long term storage.  The cantaloupe seeds I just plopped in a jar in 2015  are also 100% and the cucumbers I also plopped in a jar after drying them down are around 95%.  Not bad....I think we will plant out some of the seeds this year and see how they react to our new climate.  We are pulling the last of the garden - the collards and kale are starting to bolt, and while the blossom buds are as delicious as broccoli, the leaves are getting bitter.  We had GREAT results with our winter garden "experiment" and can't wait to try out the new cultivars I found that are bred specifically for winter.  Meanwhile, the spring crops (cabbage, lettuce, radishes, snap beans, and the like) will go in so they can bear before the real hot summer starts, when the okra, sweet potatoes, melons and tomatoes will take over as our 'garden' fresh crops.  I read that this area has six different garden seasons, and it sure seems to be true, LOL.  It does make it more fun to east seasonally, and it does explain why the ladies down here are always canning something.  

I found a "lettuce mustard" to take over when hot weather kills lettuce, and plan to try "stickless wonder" yard-long beans as a snap bean replacement.  

Went to the local Ingle's grocery to check it out.  It carries many "southern" foods I've not seen anywhere else...dried field peas, dried speckled butter beans, hog jowls (frozen) and ham flavored soup/bouillon powder.  I have some of that, it is wonderful to flavor up foods whenever you would normally use bacon (a southern food group!) but don't have any on hand (or want to save those calories).  I found mine in Wis and for the life of me could not figure out why it was not a Walmart....or Krogers'…..or Publix…..so finding it in Ingles' was a happy surprise!  I like to have at least six pounds in storage at all times.  Score - a minor one, but I'll take it!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

What did we do today?  Hubby worked on bathroom project and picked up check for our Valentine Day deliveries.  I jarred up the rest of the mixed veggies.  I'm going to use the rest for a dinner we'll be going to Sunday.  Going to make a rice casserole and use them in it. Played a bit of squeeky toy toss with Abby-girl to help her work off some of her energy.  She just finished her shredded chicken snack and is snuggled in her bed.  

101_0973 Mixed Veggies 2-22-19.jpg

• Like 2
On 2/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, Mt_Rider said:

:pray: for Kappy's surgery and  :o  all those pre-op procedures.  Is that something new for surgery or is yours...and Mr.Homesteader's knee exceptions????

MtRider   :pc_coffee: 

DH had thyroid surgery several months after his knee replacement. It was done in a different city and they also required three showers and special soap within two days. He had to have clean towels each time and clean sheets the final evening before surgery. He also needed a special nasal spray the last few days before knee replacement. The mucus test had shown bacterial in the nasal passages. We thought they had gone overboard, but we don't know anything about the super bugs in the hospitals or what lurks at home.  :imoksmiley:

Aiiiiyiyi!  Shower....does that mean some special soap/shampoo for hair too?  That oughta be pretty.....a pretty danged mess in my hair.  Haven't heard anything yet...  :tapfoot: 

Soooooo....shouldn't we all take all those showers etc AFTER COMING HOME FROM GERMY HOSPITALS TOOOO?   :wacko:  Don't bring anything home with us?

Thanks for the answers. 

MtRider  .....today was all about SNOW  :0327: 

We have a bottle of "antiseptic" soap as a prep, but probably need to stock up on more???  Hubby got the first electrical outlet in the bathroom hooked up!  He'll soon be getting that part of the job done.  Then...sheetrock....a job he really doesn't care for!  When running the wires from under the house he found one of the ducts in the "extended pantry" (used to be a 2nd bedroom) was not hardly connected to the vent!  No wonder that room used to be so cold!  While he was doing his project I jarred up some diced tomatoes.  We had two #10 cans of tomatoes from a while ago and I re-jarred them into pint jars since we use so many tomatoes.  I had bought several and dehydrated a couple but still had these two lurking.  I'll keep them here because (as mentioned) I use a lot of tomatoes in my cooking.  Next item on my list is a big box of Pablano peppers that I want to get jarred up.  I put up some "sweet pickled" jalapeno's last year and been eating them.  Absolutely delish...but hubby won't eat them.  Used vinegar and sugar (sort of like cowboy candy) and pressure canned them. Just a tiny touch of heat...love them...so want to do the Pablano's the same way.

101_0981 Diced Tomatoes 2-23-19.jpg

• Like 2

Mt_R, the prep for DH’s arm surgery was using dial antibacterial bar soap, lather, let sit a couple minutes & rinse. 

Today was a ‘relax at home’ day. Mom & I had the leftovers from the restaurants for dinner. 

Repacking to head home tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize all the things involved with pre-op surgery these days. I guess peoples homes are cleaner than hospitals. I'll bet some people don't follow those rules to a tee. I would. I wouldn't want to take any more chances than there already are. I don't really get the concept of the extra showers and sheets ect. It seems to me that as soon as you leave the house you are right back to where you started. Maybe they need to set up a showering station before you enter the operating room? Oh my, I just had a mental image of the disinfecting lines at concentration camps. Maybe not such a good idea after all. :sad-smiley-012:

Lovely jars We2. 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, The WE2's said:

We had two #10 cans of tomatoes from a while ago and I re-jarred them into pint jars since we use so many tomatoes. 

We had many #10 cans donated to us when we were still active missionaries. The acid in the tomatoes will eventually start eating the inside of the cans. I need to get them jarred up.  :0327: I finally found a local St. Vincent's that sells the used Ball jars at half the price as the city stores. Maybe after we get my mom moved into a retirement community next month  I can start canning. :imoksmiley:  (wishful thinking)  I think that spring planting under lights will come roaring into my life, though.   :tapfoot:  This is the first year I'm not interested in gardening. Too much stress with mama.    :blink:

• Sad 2
17 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Maybe they need to set up a showering station before you enter the operating room? Oh my, I just had a mental image of the disinfecting lines at concentration camps. Maybe not such a good idea after all. :sad-smiley-012:

Oye...that IS an ominous image, isn't it. 

It's bad enough that it will be an hour and a half to just drive to the city.  THEN add up all this hooha.  I'm gonna be so exhausted before this even gets going.  Do I have to wash/dry my hair 3 days in a row?  That's it...I have to find a way to get it cut off several inches...SOON!  It grows so thick and so fast!  Must be Darlene's shampoo that I've been using.  Works WONDERFULLY on my very obstinate hair.

MtRider  :buttercup:  

• Sad 1