MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Beautiful photo, Homesteader!

I have 2 large crock pots of dog food going- 1 beef and 1 chicken.  Will pressure can it this afternoon later.  Made 22 pints last time.  Yay!  Hope to get about the same.

Made a big batch of stir fry- all veggies.  About to start a load of towels in the wash and that will be about all today.

This day sucks. Had to take our last ferret to the vet. :yar: Brought him home to bury him by all the rest.

And then, before we left the plumbing backed up.... still trying to clear it. 

• Sad 6
21 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Some of the younger generation don't know how hard it was getting in the 1970's. Carter told us of we were cold to just put on a sweater. So we did. Then added a blanket. Lots of people that I knew were using oil lamps to save on electric bills. Food was on everyones mind and you couldn't find canning jar lids anywhere. Of course back then there were no Super Wal-Marts and no Amazon to shop at. 

We still do.  We keep our thermostat on 60 and layer up.  Today was a triple layer day! Woke up to -1.:frozen: outside.  We have a wool blanket between our mattress and the sheet.  Then a sheet, a fleece blanket and then a doubled fleece comforter.  PJ's are insulated underwear and socks!

• Like 2

So...what did we do since we stayed inside again today?  I steamed up several russet potatoes and 2 onions.  I enjoy just grabbing a couple of the russets and slicing some of the onions and dumping them into the skillet for breakfast.  The potatoes also make wonderful buttered potatoes and other ways to cook them.  They're already cooked so it's just heat and eat.  Also vacuum sealed 8 packages of chicken breasts for the deep freeze as well as vacuum sealing about 10 packages (2 cups each) of mixed veggies and they're also in the deep freeze.  Used some of the previous veggies that were in the freezer along with a box of Rice-A-Roni Chicken flavor, and a small package of my shredded chicken and made us a tasty chicken and rice soup for lunch. Cleared off a part of the front porch so we can get to the mailbox on the column.  Hubby ran the vac while I swept.  Then we just hung out. 

101_0987 Rice-A-Roni Soup 3-4-19.jpg

101_0988 Steaming Onions.jpg

101_0989 Steamed Onions.jpg

101_0990 Steamed Potatoes.jpg

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Would you believe I have the same meat slicer!

An old Rival we bought for 5$ at a garage sale.  It's a work horse.  We only run it for a few minutes at a time because we don't want the motor to heat up too much.  The last one we bought (big bucks!) at Menards and it lasted about 3 slicing events and the motor blew.  Everything made of plastic so it couldn't be repaired.  When we found this one we cabbaged onto it so fast it made the guy selling it wonder! Didn't even try to price it down.  All we wanted to know was did it work!  He plugged it in and we have been using it ever since.  Love it!

• Like 2

Made the 2 big crock pots of dog food and pressure canned it.  Got 22 pints again, so yay!  Cleaned up the kitchen and got everything put away.  Did one load of towels and that's all.  Was a productive day!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1

Waiting for the plumber to call & come over to snake the clean out. All my efforts resulted in nada. Tub water is coming out the toilet base. :gdtmi:   Wet towels are waiting for me to get motivated and start the washer. We have the washer draining into the tree wells, so there’s no worries about that water. Just a lot of towels, and Uriah’s floor towels. :sigh:  

We have a customer coming over to go out and practice, this afternoon, so, I need to get busy. 

• Sad 2

I'm so sorry about your ferret, Annarchy!  I missed your earlier post somehow.  I wish they lived longer!

I took Peanut Butter to doc for her rabies shot and scheduled appt. for teeth cleaning when I get back from FL in April.

I'm doing a second load of laundry today and maybe some eBay.  Too cold to do much outside for me except goat care.  Hope our cold snap passes quickly.  I covered my young blueberry bush that had already bloomed.  Two more cold nights to go!

• Thanks 1

Another cold day...hubby loaded Abby-girl up and went to homestead to check mail and "make a presence known" and then to the Roost "to make a presence known and pick up the mail there, then he took her to the park for a good run in the snow.  I stayed in and got a bit of housekeeping done.  My "red head" was indeed glad to see me when she and hubby got home! :happy0203:We'll all probably get out tomorrow since we're having a warm wave high of about 35. 

• Like 1

Sooooo sorry about your little ferret, Annarchy!  :yar:  You'd had him quite a while, didn't you?  We've heard stories of the three of them....then 2...then 1......  {HUGS}

Very busy day in the village today.  :0327:  LOTS  of things happened....mostly good, some challenging....some sad.   Very tired now. 

MtRider  :offtobed:  

• Thanks 1

Quite a few years, Mt_R.   

Plumber came first thing in the morning & reamed our whole system, all the way to the road. Finished washing all the towels and sterilizing the floor.  Aired out the bathroom all day, to dry it out from the flood, :yuk:

Enjoyed the rest of the day, visiting with DH’s friend, then, sat around the fire pit to end the day. 

• Sad 1

I went on a "dust bunny mission" with hubby's small shop vac...from under my stove and frig!  I know there are still some hiding under there but the vac isn't strong enough to pull them from their hiding place...and I'm not going to try and move the stove or the frig! Hubby brought some bouillion (sp?) packages from the homestead so I can vacuum seal them in a jar.  Keeps them safe from attracting critters.  Hubby took care of some town business and then worked a bit on the bathroom project.  Needed to change furnace filter on the cold air intake there as well.  

• Like 1

Working at home today.  Thursdays are almost always my work at home day, but today I have a sick kiddo here with me.  My car was in the shop for two days, so I've been working at home a lot this week!  Yesterday a half hour after my daughter got to school (a classmate's mom gave her a ride - she goes to private school so no buses), I got a call to come pick her up!  Had to take a lyft.  So $18 spent on that but still cheaper than a rental, I suppose...  Then I get my car back with a note saying that my motor cover has a massive leak.  Uh...they couldn't mention this on the phone?  So I call my guy back and he says "that doesn't make any sense" and will talk to the service technician and call me back today...  Guessing my car will be going back to the shop very soon - but at least it's fixed to the point where I can get it to pass emissions! 

Anyway, today my daughter is not sick enough to stay home but too sick to be at school, if that makes any sense at all.  Keeping her at home since the flu's going around and I'd rather be safe than sorry since we haven't had flu shots.  Loading up on elderberry though!  So here we are...

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Had to pay water, sewer, trash bill today and it was $30 more than normal.  After a quick panic, DH decided it is his fault as he washed  many extra loads of eBay clothes (didn't mention it to me) and has been taking extra long showers because it makes him feel better.  Hopefully, that is the problem and it will be under control shortly.

In the getting ready to go to FL category, I shaved DH's cheeks with the dog groomer razor.  (Have used it for years on him).  Wanted to give him a pedicure but didn't get to it today.  Made a big pot of jambalaya for him and his friend while I'm gone (and froze some).  I even have some of it for me with riced cauliflower instead of rice!  Boy, that stuff is good!

• Like 4

Spent some time this afternoon giving my Food Saver and it's accessories a work out.  Vacuum sealed some various flavors of boullion cubes into re-cycled jars and some using regular lids and some using Tattlers.  I'll save some more of the larger salsa jars that I can pick up and re-do the ones with Tattler's though.  Just wanted to test the Tattler's on vacuum sealing...and yep...they work.  Hubby also made me a hand vacuum sealer out of a brake bleeder...just in case we didn't have power.  Wanna see? 

101_0992 Vacuum Seal Cannister Lids.jpg

101_0993 Vacuum Seal Cannister Containers.jpg

101_0994 Brake Bleeder.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ugh Miki. I don't like those kind of surprises either! 

Awesome. I just bought another set of those jar adapters and a hose. I can remember a time when they were sort of hard to find. I saw where Amazon was having a sale on the three pack and I had a $4.00 credit coming so I went ahead and got them. I think it ended up around $12.00 total. I'm thinking those seal things inside the adapter lids could go bad? Don't know. I've never seen just those for sale. Never looked for them though. 

• Like 3

Had my yearly doctor appointment and came home with flying colors and a new script for 90 days thyroid to hold until Monday until they get the blood test results.  Also got a 12 month script for the "stuff" women need after menopause or hysterectomy.  You wouldn't think such a small tube would cost almost 200$!  Glad I don't need to use much.  After getting home we both decided that we've been house bound enough and went out to eat.  No supper meal tonight...EZ on the cook and dishwasher.  

• Like 4

Turned a 3’ x 8’ section in my garden, added part of my compost, started soaking the fava beans, dug up dozens of volunteer red & white onions to transplant.  Found one small potato. Planted some flowers around a rock tree well.   Did laundry while blanching, pealing & canning another 4 1/2 pints of tomatoes.  🍅   

Today, is house cleaning day.  The fava beans have tripled in size and are ready to plant, so, that’ll get done before the cleaning starts. 

Time to get at it...

I hope everyone has a fantastic day. 

• Like 4

Organized the vacuum sealed jars of pasta's etc., used "flats" so I could stack them evenly on top of each other.  Kept my soup starter cubes handy that way.  The soup starter bases that come in vacuum sealed jars I put all of them in a 4 gallon square bucket that has a nice sealing gasket lid.  Did a load of bathroom towels and wash clothes. No big rush...just do things at my own pace.

ps...hubby worked on bathroom project this afternoon.  Guess I can't help but get antsy...just wish it was done and we were moved even though moving is going to be a HUGE job.

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 2

Yesterday, planted all the fava beans, which were sprouting in the bowl, transplanted 8 larger red onions along the inside border, next to the pathway separating the rows. Transplanted the smaller ones in the holes of the wall bricks around the herb garden. Pulled a bunch of weeds, collected another dozen tomatoes & 1/2 dozen jalapeños. Picked up a box for DH at the post office. (He’s working on organizing the store.)

When he got up, I started cleaning. Moved the ferret barrier for the closet and realized it’s going to take a while, before I’m able to get everything organized in there. I had to use one of the closet doors, set sideways, to keep them out. They had learned how to open them. So, there was a lot of stuff stuffed in the closets, to keep it away from them. :0327: Now, to try & figure out how to organize it, while keeping in mind, my office will be MIL’s room. :sigh:  DH removed the barriers under some of the furniture, while he was vacuuming, then, I scrubbed the floors. 

When the gardener showed up, we took a break. L always does a fanatic job, he even sprayed the weeds by the road, cut a branch off one of the trees and put all the grass clippings into my compost/mulch bin. :thumbs:  I will be using that soon. :happy0203:

Finished the day cooking dinner & watching Live PD. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Is your MIL coming to live with you or are you just getting a room ready for visits?

The day is probably coming. She 88 and living alone. She hates our small town, loves her big city, friends, clubs & local convenience. Hospitals, doctors, stores, etc. are all within a 5 mile radius. Here, you’d need to drive 30-50 miles, just to get to the hospitals, doctors or any decent stores. 

I just don't want to set it up for me, then, turn around & have to remove all my stuff, in order to move her in. It is what it is. :blink:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1