MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

As soon as I got my car 'finally' washed, mud season was upon us.   :laughkick:  DH is going to work at the stock-car racetrack again this year. It's across the street so he can walk over. I helped him one day last week chip ice out of his Tech Shed. It's a large building and the hillside snow-melt went into the shed. We chipped 1-1/2" solid sheet of ice off the concrete floor and into our tractor bucket. Neither one of us could raise our arms that night. :0327:Glad dinner was leftover chili in the refrig. We had a race to see who was first into bed that night.  :whistling:

Started veggie seeds several days ago. Some of them have popped up already! I've been so sick this past year, I wasn't sure I even wanted a garden. DH was about to have my head examined, cause that's not me. :imoksmiley: Once I saw something besides mountains of snow, I realized we'd survived another northern winter.  :0327:

• Like 5

My little brother hears me talking about all the times I take Mama to Aldi's. Since he's heading up a construction project farther East, he decided to find out what his Mama and Sis have been talking about. He would also like the average 30% savings on groceries. The only glitch he ran into was the lack of a quarter ($$)  :0327: to use one of their shopping carts. He thought that was one of the dumbest things he'd ever heard of.  :24:  He did purchase several of their plastic bags and took a nice fresh food haul to his hotel room. His side-kick probably enjoyed some new doggie bones.  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Annarchy, you have saved your MIL a fortune in repairs. :hug3:  I really like to look at old pictures of my hometown too. So much has changed there from the 1950's -1960's. Not for the better sad to say. It's a little farming community but it is the county seat. They had the smallest Wal-Mart I've ever seen. Now, even that is gone. They still have a Dollar General a CVS and a Kroger and a few other small stores. And a couple of banks. 2019 and the county seat and you have to go out of the county to do any major shopping. It always was a backward sort of town but it's ridiculous now. Drugs took over. :yar:

I'm thinking Homesteader is about to get another fever. Garden Fever! I'm also thinking I'd be taking a blowtorch to that ice. LOL. I know how your brother feels about Aldi's shopping carts. They scare me. I'm always afraid one is going to jam up on me and I'm going to be holding up a line of people trying to get my quarter to work. When that day happens, and we know it will (because it's me) that's the day I walk off $0.25 poorer and never go back. If I'm feeling spunky, I might ask to see a manager and try to fanagle a freebie of some sort. I'll keep ya posted.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 2
On 3/22/2019 at 3:24 PM, Jeepers said:

one is going to jam up

We had that happen to us and hubby figured out how to push the quarter holder in real hard and then he was able to remove his quarter.  We often watch for people that are bringing their carts back and offer them our quarter in exchange for their cart.  That my friend works real good! :cele:

• Like 2

Loaded up and drove to the Roost to check mail and look things over and flush the toilet (which we always do when we're there) to keep things circulating.  Then to the park for another nice walk with Abby-girl then stopped at the library for their bag of books sale.  Got about 6 hardbacks, some dvd's and some paper backs...$3 for the bag.  I'll have plenty to read when I finish the two I have checked out at the library here.  Stopped at Aldis for some grapes, eggs, potatoes and a loaf of wheat bread...then home.  Hubby worked on Miss B til about 5 or so.

• Like 3

Hung around the house most of the day.  Hubby left about 2 to go the homestead and so some shopping for me, then off to the garage to work more on my van.  Looks like he's got things on a roll and will be able to repair the existing a/c shroud! PTL...that will save us about 200$ I pulled out my summer space bag that had all my sleep t-shirts.  Getting to warm to wear long sleeved thermals but not warm enough for tanks.  Took pinking shears and cut "personal cloths" from about six of hubby's old t-shirts.  Got quite a nice stack of them. I'll keep adding to the supply...already have quite a few of flannel...so we'll have a nice supply in a life changing event.  Should we need to use them full force, we bought a "diaper genie" that will make the job a lot easier.

• Like 4

Slept in a little, before stripping the bed & washing the sheets with my towels, while I repacked. Got on the road after 8 am, but with the time change now, it made it seem like I got a normal start. 

Gassing up at the 1/2 way point was frustrating. Waited at least 10 minutes to get to the pump.  By the time I got my turn there were 3 cars in line at every pump.  Why, WHY! are people so rude & inconsiderate!?!!!  Gas your vehicle & move, so the other cars in line can gas up too.  Why do they have to use the pumps as a parking place, while they go potty & buy their munchies & drinks!!!!   :soapbox:  :gaah:  <\rant off>

Made it home safely. I didn’t get a cup of coffee when I stopped and I think that’s why I was so very tired by the time I got home. Ended up crashing just after 6 pm. Surprised myself when I realized I slept hard for over 10 hours. 

Dawn is breaking, birds are singing & I have a lot to do. Good to be home. 

:bouquet:

• Like 3

:scratchhead:    I got a bill in the mail today.  For a toll bridge fare .....New York City to New Jersey. 

Absolute Fraud?......or someone punched in the wrong license plate number/letters??????    The plate numbers that do NOT match our vehicles, btw. 

[[[[[[[Hope someone has not gotten hold of any old license plates.....  ]]]]]]

.....haven't been out of this 2-county area in 6+ years......   A whole $1.75 fee we're talkin' here.... 

DH is trying to fix whatever is not allowing the barnyard lite and the outlet to work.  Thinks rust [from deep snow] has fizzled the works in the outlet...hopefully not in the Romex line down the hill.  Going to try installing new outlets things within the OutDoor Enclosure Box.   (I'd call it a Weather-proof Enclosure Box but ....doesn't seem to match that description just now....with the rust and all....  )   The outlets have spring-loaded covers over each outlet that close unless something is plugged into them. 

Pssssssttttt......DH is NOT an electrician........  :whistling:   Wouldn't exactly call him a handyman either.  But he's giving it a try!.....

MtRider   .....boring days are easier. 

• Like 2

THIS fee is $1.75.  But the next one?  and the next next next?  

And when your license is suspended for not keeping up with them?

3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

For a toll bridge fare

My cousin's husband fought for years before they finally were able to figure out that the plates they were billing didn't match their car.  I guess some states might have duplicate numbers, just different colors of plates, and they don't look at the car?  I can't remember if somebody got hold of old plates...perhaps?  Our state uses only "stickers" and the plate numbers stay the same.  People used to scrape off the stickers so the state started making them with a "crack" diagonally across so if anybody tries to scrape or pull them off they ruin the sticker. Let's face it, thieves are opportunistic.

Got an early start.  Had breakfast and then we did our morning walk.  It was misting and chilly but we just bundled up, put on some head gear and went.  Abby-girl could care less as long as there's no thunder or lightening. In that case...we'd all stay home or get home asap!  Hubby worked on the van for a bit then took my "grocery list" to the homestead and brought them back to me...then made a trip to the "city" to get the material he needed to repair the shroud on my van.  No store here had it...no Home Depot for a 100 miles so he got home very late.  Had goulash in the hot pot ready for him when he got home.  I got laundry finished.  I'll do linens etc. tomorrow. Mixed up another roller ball bottle of my favorite night fragrance...Frankincense, Xlang Xlang and Lavendar with some liquid coconut oil as a carrier.  Try to buy that already made up and it's a whopper of a price, but I prefer natural fragrances.  I use Thieves Oil during the day unless I'm going out.  Then it's my FXXL both day and at evening.

You know you are in for a rough day when you go in to pick up your taxes and the first thing your preparer says is, "Well the good news is you made more money this year." You know the bad news is about to follow. It did. Yes, I made a little more money because I went on Social Security. And yes, I did cash in some stocks. I had to to get the down payment for the Indy house. I didn't see any of that money. It went straight to the mortgage company. BUT, now I have to pay taxes on those stocks AND capital gains. Crimony! I could have cried.

My day just keeps on getting better. I got home and there was a letter from Social Security. My heart drops a little every time I get a notice from any government agency. They miscalculated my S.S. payment. And not to my advantage. They over paid me by $135.70 in both Jan. and Feb. So they are dropping my monthly checks by $135.70 and I'm only getting $28.00 for the month of Mar. and Apr. each to make up for the loss they caused.

Fortunately, I didn't go out and buy that expensive furniture I was eyeing. But what if I had. It's called fixed income for a reason. Except mine wasn't fixed at where they said it would be. I was counting on that money to help fix up the Indiana house plus I didn't expect to have to pay so much extra in taxes. That's on top of the quarterly taxes I already paid on both state and federal.

I'm okay just peeved at the government right now. Taxes kill me and I feel like I just took a pay cut. Which I did.

I don't trust anything any more. 'They' can give it to you one day and take it away the next.

These are the sort of things I prepare for. Not zombie attacks. Although I'm sort of prepared for that too. :tinfoilhatsmile:

• Sad 4

I thought that too. I really don't understand it. It all happened when we got that raise in January. I think they decided they gave me too much. I'm going to let D-ex see if he can figure it out. I could go down to the S.S. office. But the wait is always so long and packed. I need to get out some papers to try to find out how much I was getting before that 'raise'. Today isn't a good thinking day for me.

Didn't walk today.  We're planning to walk 3 times a week and increase the distance...then the number of days we walk will be added later.  Sometimes our day just starts with other things we must do, so getting in 3 days will be a commitment.  Hubby has the shroud for the van's a/c pretty much repaired.  He's going to do the outside next, and then use the repair paint on all of it as a preventative. :cele: So glad we didn't have to look around and buy a new one...and maybe not even find one since the van isn't new.  Then he'll be able to lower the a/c onto the new gasket and then put on the shroud :) Then...the areas across the top of the windshield will need to be addressed.  Several places leak and drip on the dash and one on the driver's side floor board.  He's got the repair tape.  May not be "professional" but it is what it is :whistling: Don't plan to sell it anyway.  I didn't accomplish too much today other than wifey stuff.  Did clean out some drawers in the bathroom.  I don't know how we manage to do it, but it's like the spice cabinet.  You end up with 2's, 3's and sometimes even 4's of the same thing!  Whittled it down and put all the extra's in a box to take to the homestead for storage.  You know,  muscle rub (vic's knock off) from $Tree, aspirin, allergy tabs, aleve knock offs, ibuprofen, tubes of this and tubes of that. Things you don't need often but want them handy.  So I have much roomier drawers with what we might need, and more available at the homestead!  

I went to Wal-Mart to get some of those cloth boxes that fit into the bin organizers. I bought two of them the last time in was in Indy but still needed the bins. Son can put them together before I get over there again. They are for toys for 'you-know-who.  :rolleyes:Mostly building blocks etc. that I got for 60% off when my K-Mart closed. He loves those Bristle Block things. I plan to leave a couple of the cubby holes empty for books.There is one small area that was used for a second dining room/dinette room that I wasn't sure what to do with. I'm making it into a play room. Or rather more like a toy storage area to keep the rest of the house tidy-ish. Probably a little table and chairs. Who knows.

Then I swung by the car wash and hosed the Jeepster down. It was filthy. Some of it was road salt so it really needed to come off. Its 14 years old now and only has a couple of rust spots on it up under the rear window. I'd like to keep it that way. I suppose keeping it in the garage has helped a lot. It's certainly not because I've kept it clean. :blush:

Then home to make some spaghetti for supper.

I plan to clean out and pack up another lower kitchen cupboard tonight. Also that area over the refrigerator. There are two small cabinet up there that nobody could ever reach. Except for me on a chair. So I'm pretty sure it is stuffed with treasures I haven't seen in 30 years. Same thing over the stove. So, those three areas are on my to-do list tonight.

I think I'll take a quick trip over to the library (right behind my house) and get a couple of books on CD to help pass the time in the kitchen. The paper recycle bin is on the way and I have another load to dump off. Two birds...one stone.

• Like 2

FYI.  I forgot to add that I thought that you could only deduct an eye exam from your taxes. Not so. She took off the eye exam and the glasses. So that deduction went from $65.00 to over $200.00+. I do have to itemize though so not sure if that makes a difference.

There are online places where you can send in your prescription and get glasses cheaper. I'm going to try that to pick up a spare pair and some sunglasses. Then hopefully deduct them from next years taxes.

I'm NOT recommending this place but it's where I plan to try because I THINK they have a 15% off on your first order and free shipping if you sign up for emails. Easy enough to unsubscribe later. I'll let you know if I do and how it worked out. I'm still hopeful for the laser eye surgery again though.

https://www.eyebuydirect.com/eyeglasses#attrs=women

• Like 1
On 3/27/2019 at 4:55 PM, Jeepers said:

I'm making it into a play room

EXCELLENT IDEA:cele: Plug up all the electrical outlets, put down some yoga mats for nappy-poos, who knows what Jeepers might do!  A poet? :24:

• Haha 1

Mixed up a pint of home made dry beef gravy mix and a pint of dry chicken mix.  Still need to mix up a pint of the country gravy mix.  So EZ and EZ to use...and doesn't require using grease etc.  For supper I used my pizza "Pizzazz" and cooked our Whiting fillets on it.  So tender and only sprayed the surface of the pan and the top of the fish with butter spray.  Very tender and tasty!  Hubby worked this afternoon on the van and is making some real progress...bathroom project is on hold :shrug: but gotta get my wheels taken care of.  

• Like 1

:cheer: The shroud is in it's final stages of drying.  Hubby cleaned the overhead a/c (which didn't work on our trip to Texas) and wired it so he could plug it in and test it.  The fan ran and the motor on the a/co ran.  Too cold to know if the a/c was actually cooling though...but I'm praying it does! :pray: Then it's put back together time and fix the windshield issue...praying God's grace over that too.  :pray:  I just tended to business around here since it was a rainy day. 

• Like 1

Company the last two days. Barbecued & enjoyed. 

Today is house cleaning & more company this afternoon. 

Canned another 3 pints of tomatoes, making a total of 13 pints from 2 plants. :bow:  Also, turned another 4’x8’ section of the garden and planted radishes & carrots. 

Laundry is churning, pup bombs are cleaned up and I’m in the process of putting the folding chairs back up. 

One of the Live PD episodes, about a year ago, had a three wheeler accident in the desert. The episode where Sheriff Lamb got a flat tire driving through the desert to get to the accident. DH had mentioned, the person sorta looked like a friend of his... uhhh..yup. He unfortunately had head trauma and was unconscious for 3 days, broken jaw, nose & back. He said his breaks quit working just before he wrecked. He’s recuperated and doing well now.  

Time to turn the laundry & finish putting the chairs up, then, on to the next job...

:bouquet:

Woke to two and a half inches of snow....  :shrug:  It's way too warm to stay around long.  So.....why aren't those old ducks laying?  :o  I hope DH has thot to start checking where they might HIDE them.... 

MtRider  B)

Edited by Mt_Rider

Rained most of the night then turned to snow this morning.  We got out and "played in it"...loaded Abby-girl up and went to $Tree to pick up a couple more dish mats.  They protect my counter and also provide extra drying space when I want to keep my knives etc., separate from my dishes.  Also picked up another hair drying microfiber cap.  Left my other one in our travel trailer.  Found a couple of other things we "wanted" (not needed).  Then to Aldi's for some hard cheeses.  We like to have summer sausage, cheese and snack crackers for picnic lunches or when travelling.  Also wanted some fruit cups.  We pulled several of my home canned fruits from the extended pantry but wanted to alternate them.  Also went to the homestead's extended pantry to pull some canned bacon, some bean soups and a few other items.  I'm going to jar up some pork and beans and wanted the bacon for that.  Stopped snowing but it sure is cold.  Had to turn the thermostat back up.  We had turned it down to 50, but that's too cold...even for us :frozen:.  Got home and stayed home.  

Today was exciting...and tiring at the same time!  Chainsaw Mary was in her other element....boat captain!  IMG_3644.thumb.JPG.a1a082ca4d019e6c24a39c667dd9d4f2.JPGIMG_3647.thumb.JPG.136f938b86c18a1c4b144ce7c1fe62fa.JPGIMG_3667.thumb.JPG.358d63b7c1b6557c508543b757605d51.JPGIMG_3652.thumb.JPG.4fc84abd308f68a6bdc1466059261dfd.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

:wub:  I love boats and water!!!  Glad I have this small duck pond in our arid CO.  Water is so..... satisfying on the eyes.  Like campfires.  Watch it endlessly.  Currently our pond is still white, frozen-but-UNSTABLE ice.  :frozen:    Heard a Fred&Wilma pair [Canadian Geese] go honking overhead but didn't stop.  No open water yet.  ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................MtRider  [I could not get my computer to space down???? ]  :scratchhead:  

• Like 1