MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Thanks We2. I did get a bunch of boxes torn down to take to the recycle bin. I've been saving Amazon boxes but I don't need as many as I thought because I empty them when I go the Indy house and bring them home to reuse. 

Stomach is still upset. Sigh. I found some stuff in my med stash that is sort of working. As much as anything I guess. It's OTC called Nauzene Chewables. They sort of taste like Pepto. Not bad but not good either. I also broke out some Jolly Rancher hard candy to help keep my mouth from drying out. Plus I like them. If I'm not better tomorrow I'm getting into my Rx meds stash. Something like Zofran I think it's called. Rx stash is last resort before Dr. 

• Like 1

Finally rode the idiot today.  Fantastic WARM day.  B)   Big Idiot was himself....DH had quite a workout leading him.  Hmph, rider of my experience on lead line!!   Yet we canNOT chance me taking a fall.    DH picked up some wind-blown trash.  Handed it to me to put in my pocket.  I'd told him to put in HIS pocket.  But he showed it to Big-I to sniff then gave it to me.  I tried to cram in into my pocket but the crackle made Big IDIOT dance and crow-hop.  EXACTLY what I anticipated he'd do!  Threw it back at DH and he put it in his pocket.  Sheeeesh.  Tol' ya!  We figure it will take about 3-5 more times with DH leading.  Calm Big I down enough for me to safely have a REAL horsie ride.  :tapfoot:   I'm HOPING that today's 20 minutes will ease off the pain in my hips.  That's all DH could manage....pasture is flooded in the best parts.  All uneven and rutted and such in the other parts...difficult walking so he got a cardio too. 

We have "weather" coming this way.  Dunno if it will amount to anything....  I like this weather really well.  Return to high in the 30s  :frozen:  will be disappointing.  :(

MtRider  ....riding...sort of  :pout:

There's a picture on Facebook from a lady who saved all her Amazon Prime boxes, then left them all outside when her husband came home for April Fools'.

I'm thinking she didn't do much ordering, the stash was rather small. :bounce:

• Haha 4

We need more light and a better view in our new dining room," I told DH last year. Now it's coming to fruition (along with sore muscles). A friend let us borrow his gas-powered concrete saw for a few weeks. I can't hardly pick it up, and I'm a weight lifter.   :whistling:  VERY BLESSED to have a very strong guy to carry the load around this homestead.  :hapydancsmil:   Three more windows to go and we can start the destruction of the kitchen. Thankfully, I can use the RV for a few weeks as my cooking shanty.  :0327:

P1040228.JPG

P1040224.JPG

• Like 3

I stuck around the house today...and did the usual wifey things while hubby worked on van.  Opened up kitchen window and front door screen on the storm and turned on ceiling fans.  No comforter on the bed last night, heat turned off and ceiling fan over bed on low.  Lovin' it!

WHoa....Homesteaders!  That's a huge project!  Did you know when you bought the house, that you'd renovate as much as you're doing? 

MtRider  ....get tired just looking at those pics!  :0327: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
10 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Did you know when you bought the house, that you'd renovate as much as you're doing? 

Mt Rider - We had planned on doing some remodeling to the house we bought several years ago. The leak in the lower level from our local flooding last year helped us decide to start tearing out walls and make the place more to our liking. It started very quietly with digging out the exposed foundation on the outside, waterproofing it, and adding Styrofoam to the outside walls. Northerners who heat with wood do that when the opportunity arises.  :whistling:

Since we entertain so much, that small fourth bedroom became the pantry and dining room. We have a great view to the meadow and pond, so the windows HAD to be replace with larger ones. On and on it goes. We should stop sitting at the dining room table with hot coffee and doodling pads.  :24:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Goodness! You are ambitious, Homesteader. Making me feel guilty for not doing more around my place. 

Straightened up the path mess in the garden yesterday, left the paw prints.  Washed the bedding from our overnight guest & deflated the air mattress, went to WM for some things on my list. They were out of dog food and several things on my list. Went to TSC and found the dog food, but, even they were out of things I needed.

Company came over and I wasn’t able to get much else done, except re-inflate the mattress & bring the bedding back out. Good thing I managed to get them washed...:whistling:

Bright sunny day with light clouds floating, today. I have a lot to do, including prepping for my trip to TX next Wednesday. MIL & I have the CoC meeting on Thursday, they are awarding a scholarship to a culinary arts student at the college.  

I’ll have Fri. & Sat. to get her sprinkler system installed, and, hopefully, will have time to get my glasses replaced. 

Note to Homesteader, never ever say, "Honey, I think we could use....."  'Cause the next day half the wall will be G-O-N-E.  :24:

Seriously though, you are so lucky to have a handy man and a forever home exactly the way you want it. I can't even imagine all the money you guys have saved by DIY. 

Me? Pffft. I'm still sick with the stomach crud. Its getting old fast.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Today was another beautiful sunny day.  We loaded up and went to the homestead and he worked his arse off digging out the scrub trees that had grown up my wild garden area while I toted them to the brush pile that we'll be taking to the yard waste dump.  I watered all my new "babies" and was quite surprised to see a tiny little green sprout coming up in the long container that I planted lettuce in...???  I wouldn't think the brand new potting soil would have something in it...but...ya never know!  Anyway...everything on that west side was still very moist and that is good.  It means they're getting only the setting sun for a few hours.  The ones in the east area were dry so they got a good watering.  I fill up my garden sprayer and that's what I use to water them.  Very gentle spray.  Took a look at the area where the berries are and there's a lot of green going on there.  We'll wait and see what that berry patch is up to.  We may just wack them all down, transplant them and start with new vines.  We still have to tear out all the old raised beds, the Lambs Quarter "forest" and get all that debri in the brush pile also.  We pile it all in a big pile and then load it in the truck so we make one big load.  We'll be using the truck for our camping trip in a week or so...and we don't want to have to wash out the bed to haul our lawn chairs etc.  I straightened things out in the TT and it's good to go other than our clothes, food and drinking water.  The campground has electric and water but we don't drink water from campgrounds.  Also went to Menards and picked up two of those "mason jar trays" (plastic) that you can put your canned foods in, with covers.  One quart and one pint.  We'll put our food in those and then set them under the bed.  No shopping other than pick up some paper plates and paper bowls and a loaf of wheat bread for our sandwiches/lunch.  Pulled and cut grass from Abby-girl's outside kennel.  She laid in the sun and watched until I was done, then promptly went in and laid down in her sunny spot.  She loves her outside kennel.  It has a doggie house in one corner so she can "hide" if she sees flying objects! 

Sorry to hear you're still not well, Jeepers.  :(   Is it something you should check out further?  :unsure:  

Did a lot yesterday.  Did little today....  :0327:     Keeping an eye on this current "storm of the century".  Yanno, we did this last month so a rerun is not necessary, right?  Rain might be nice in areas already having wildfires and grass fires.  So we'll see what we actually get tomorrow.  CO is on the edge on some weather map predictions and not out of reach in other predictions.  :shrug:  It's been warm for so long, it can't last....  :unsure:  

MtRider  .....got riding in IF we get buried in snow again.  :frozen:   {this too, shall pass!}

I think I might be feeling a little better. It kind of comes and goes throughout the day. The thought crossed my mind it COULD be the Metformin I'm taking for pre-diabetes. I guess I'll know better tomorrow. I've had really bad sciatic nerve pain the last three days. Dang that hurts.

I forgot about that super duper pain reliever combo of Tylenol and anaceed  annaseeda  anaceedametapropheen  Advil. I don't have any Tylenol but I'm also about out of bread so I'll venture out to the store tomorrow. Tylenol doesn't work well for me alone. Actually I do have Tylenol but its stored away in a tote some place in the basement for "emergencies". Sigh. Sad, but its easier to go over to the store and get more than to fight that dungeon. Not much good being prepared if you can't get to the stuff. I was sad the new house doesn't have a basement but it might be to my benefit that it doesn't.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Not much good being prepared if you can't get to the stuff

Experienced that recently.  Wanted to mix up an antibiotic tincture only to find I had ONE large bottle of Thyme.  Thyme...of all things...didn't have but that one and it was at the homestead!  So I know what I'll be looking for next time I go Mennonite shopping!  

Did wifey stuff until about 3 and then hubby picked me up and while he tore out Lambs Quarter stalks from last year, I watered my "babies"...every one of them have their little green arms sticking up out of the soil!  Moved the two long beds further towards the east side of the porch...getting too much sun I think.  Hubby did get the a/c settled back down on the van and the repaired shroud in place.  Has to tweek a few bolts to make sure he doesn't tighten them down too tight on the new gasket. Also wants to do some repair work on the inside cover of the a/c...it has a few cracks so he might as well do it while it's in friends garage, away from rain and dust etc.  Then the windshield gasket "repair".  He'll need to pull the van out and then pull it in nose first for that because he can't reach it without his walk board apparatus. Progress!  

Edited by The WE2's
corrected spelling :-)
  • Like 2

I have used Aleve and it works as well for me as Advil. The only thing is last year the Dr. told me to stick with Advil because Aleve is very hard in your liver or kidneys. I don't remember which one she said. Much more so than Advil. Who knows. I'm not worried about that because I really don't take all that much. Some months I'll take up to 12 and some months none at all.

Aspirin works well for me as long as I remember to take it on a full stomach. Otherwise it gnaws the devil out if my stomach.

Something has to give soon. I'm in a lot of sciatic pain again tonight. Seems to be worse at night. I'm going to try that pain cream I have. Votaran. It's for arthritis but it won't hurt to try. I totally forgot about it. How can I be in so much pain and forget I have pain cream to try? My memory is getting worse. Or maybe just dull.

If all else fails I'm not above trying some CBD oil. It's the non 'pot' stuff and legal in Ohio. It's derived from hemp and not marijuana here. I think our tobacco shops sell it. I need to do some Googling.

• Like 1

http://www.safemedication.com/safemed/PharmacistsJournal/CanYouDoubleUponPainKillers

-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-QUOTING from article above.....

When talking about painkillers, it’s important to understand the difference among products. There are four main types of oral analgesics that are available without a prescription: naproxen (brand name Aleve), ibuprofen (brand names Advil and Motrin), aspirin, and acetaminophen (brand name Tylenol).

Naproxen and ibuprofen work in the body the same and have the same side effects. Ibuprofen is typically taken every 6-8 hours; naproxen is taken every 12 hours. Aspirin works a little differently than ibuprofen and naproxen but has very similar side effects. The usual dose of aspirin is 500-1,000 mg every 4-6 hours. Acetaminophen works a little differently than naproxen and ibuprofen, has different side effects, and can be taken every 6-8 hoursquote-Ryan2.jpg

So, to answer my brother-in-law’s question… He could take his naproxen (Aleve) eight hours after taking ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or he could take ibuprofen 12 hours after taking naproxen. However, if he was not getting adequate pain relief from ibuprofen within the eight-hour period, he could take acetaminophen (Tylenol). I advised him to stay within the recommended dosage for both medicines.

The bottom line for weekend warriors is that you cannot combine ibuprofen and naproxen unless it is time for another dose of either medication. If you need additional pain relief, you can combine aspirin, naproxen, or ibuprofen with acetaminophen. However, do not take aspirin, naproxen, or ibuprofen within 8-12 hours of each other. Also, watch out for pain medications that might be included in combination products such as those used for cough and cold.

It is important to note that my brother-in-law is healthy and has no other medical problems. If you have other medical conditions, please consult your pharmacist to find out which pain medications are safe for you.

Gina Ryan, PharmD, BPCS, CDE, Clinical Associate Professor, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Mercer University, Atlanta

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-==-

The reason you can combine naproxen [Aleve]  OR  ibuprofen [Nuprin]  WITH  acetaminophen [Tylenol]  is because Aleve and Nuprin are both processed thru the kidneys.    Tylenol is processed thru the liverYou don't want to strain the same organ twice if you're doubling up. 

As for the timing...you can see what this person says but be sure to check that out with your own research or medical professional/pharmacist. 

I had to learn all this when DH had the blood clot in lung....and he had drastic damage to one kidney as a child.  He was in so much pain/so very ill...he couldn't figure anything out for days.  :fever:  He wasn't taking aspirin so I'm not as sure of that one.

Today we're getting some snow from the "big" storm.  Not big here, thankfully.  Further east and north are not going to be happy with more water to add to flooding.  And blizzard winds in some parts.  Here I'm glad to have had enough wind to keep the snow from building up on branches --- which leads to branches snapping off and taking down power lines.  I didn't prepare for this one like I did the BIG one last month.  But I've just reviewed WHERE winter emergency things are so we're up to speed.  DH got groceries yesterday.  This one will melt and we'll stay put till it's over. 

5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Sad, but its easier to go over to the store and get more than to fight that dungeon. Not much good being prepared if you can't get to the stuff.

BTDT too, Jeepers.  I'm pulling out old canned goods, jelly, etc. from our 'dungeon'.   Some are really toooo old.  Some are fine but haven't been rotated due to access issues.  :sigh: 

MtRider  :frozen:   it's 10* at midnight! 

• Like 2

Today we took advantage of no rain and worked on improving our red-clay front "lawn'.  Mary tilled in some scratches, then we broadcast grass seed, then I raked to even things out a little, and straw over everything.  Don't know if it will work, but it will not hurt to try.  Two of our dogs got 'fixed' yesterday so we are TRYING to keep them from jumping, but its hard.  They are used to jumping up & down off laps, etc.  The garden is up.  We've added quite a few new planting places, besides putting the planters up the side of the garden shed again (remember last years' "vertical garden"?).  ;One of the seed sources I found for southern-acclimated cultivars is closing.  The bad news?  They carry lots of open pollinated, regional but relatively rare seeds.  The good news?  Send in an order, get  an equal value in free seeds of your choosing.  So I am trying to stock up on the many kinds of southern peas he sells, as well as the tomatoes & green peppers acclimated to extremely hot and humid conditions.  Other regional specialties I am stocking up on are various kinds of mustard, collards, and turnips - more 'southern' staples.  I will join the seed savers exchange this fall and try to get seeds out to as many other people as I can, trying to keep them from disappearing altogether.  I will also be saving seeds....especially those I have not found other sources of (Floradade & Floradel tomatoes, for example; Edisto cantaloupe is another. ) It seems every time I find something I really like and can use, it gets discontinued.  Grrrr.

Tomorrow more doctors.  At least it will be MY doctor, and close to home.  I'm getting sick of "medical commuting", no matter how much of a tax deduction it gets me (and believe me, I deduct every mile, every expense.....)

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

Had game day at Church on Tuesday--didn't win at all, then haircut (yay)! Got a call from doc that mammogram was fine, again yay!

Yesterday, I made and pressure canned 24 pints of dog food, roasted some elephant garlic, baked a little chicken to cut up for dog treats, dusted the house and marked the garden area for the fellow coming to till it up.

Today, I have red beans with sausage in the crockpot for the guys, and will be making some appetizers for Sunday school get together tonight. Will make cornbread before I go for the guys. 

As of Monday, I have added two more blocks onto my morning walk and am jogging a short (very short) distance of it. It's making me a bit more tired right now, but think I will get used to it. That's about it for now in my life. I haven't felt like being on the computer or websites as much lately. Everything changes, though.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Jeepers said:

sciatic pain again tonight

Don't know if you can take it, but pure Magnesium works wonders when I experience sciatica pain, as well as restless leg syndrome.  It relaxes the muscles?  Don't know...but it works for me.

• Like 1

Was a VERY long day for us.  Went this morning to $Tree to pick up more dish mats.  I needed a couple in the travel trailer so I took the ones I had here.  Also picked up a couple extra for Miss B. They are just so handy when cooking...and washable.  I keep the heavy one for when I'm canning and am able to sit hot jars on and protect my kitchen counter.  THEN...after lunch we tackled the homestead....hubby mowing the garden area (leaving the wild violets) and Abby-girl's area while I pulled out more of the "lambs quarter" forest and added it to the pile we have for it to go to the rubbish dump.  And if that wasn't enough...hubby cut down those dreaded mulberry trees...before they could leaf out for this year.  Then we had to drag all that stuff to the other side of the house & sort it into 3 different piles.  Rubbish to the dump, small limbs for our rocket stove and larger limbs for fire wood when camping.  Finally quit about 4:30 and then home for a quick goulash supper and nice hot shower with Dr. Woods liquid peppermint soap...just as a refresher but also ticks don't like peppermint (just in case there were any crawling about).  (Pay no attention to Abby-girl's butt...she had to come see what I was taking a picture of!)

101_1044 Patio Set in garden area.jpg

101_1045 Mulberry Tree gone.jpg

101_1046 2nd Mulberry Tree gone-clean up begins.jpg

101_1047 Wild Violets everywhere.jpg

Edited by The WE2's
Abby-girl's butt
  • Like 1

Did take a quick look at the finished a/c shroud on my van.  Looks so nice...almost looks new!  It's in place too.  Now for some super glue repairs on the inside cover (plastic...yucky...so it broke in a couple places). Has a little bit of dust on the top but that will blow off when we get it out of the garage.

101_1039 Repaired air conditioning  shroud on Miss B.jpg

101_1040 Repaired air conditioning  shroud on Miss B.jpg

101_1041 Repaired air conditioning  shroud on Miss B.jpg

101_1042 Repaired air conditioning  shroud on Miss B.jpg

101_1043 Repaired air conditioning  shroud on Miss B.jpg

• Like 2

Glad Mr cut down the tree. When I first saw it I was afraid you had a storm roll through. I've heard mulberry trees can get pretty nasty...and sprawling. Miss B is sure looking spiffy. Seems like a long time since she has had a road trip. 

I'm feeling better. In the stomach at least. I slept most of the day and didn't get to the store. I looked up CBD oil online for local places to buy. Yep, smoke shops carry it and boy is it ever expensive! Sheesh. 

I did find a place to buy online that I trust. But again...it is so expensive. That's the one bad thing about it not being regulated. It isn't regulated. I don't like some government regulations but sometimes I think they can be a necessary evil. :shrug:

• Like 2