MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Unplugging my Win 10 overnight has resolved most of my issues too, TheCG. :scratchhead:

Poor iguana...people are mean... :motz_6:

One Lady met us at our house, & we picked up the other Lady & headed to the meeting at the Culinary college.  Caught a train & had to go around and arrived a few minutes late.  We are usually really early. :sigh:

The young Lady that received the scholarship, cried. She said she is the first person in her whole family ever to go to college. 

And our lunch....  salad.... green chili stuffed chicken with a cream sauce on rice, with a couple fried onions, blanched beets, a lightly blanched potato stick & carrot stick... & desert...   I’ve never ever ever seen a salad like that!  They didn’t give me that desert, because I’m allergic to strawberries. I got a small piece of chocolate fudged creamed cake. 

D896A705-8DDE-4CDB-AABE-BA2D47C2D74E.jpeg

06B6AF62-868F-4957-BA3F-A50DD7144637.jpeg

CCF2E84D-9B24-4599-A611-08EC5DD5F334.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Beautiful presentation. Glad a person who really needs it and will appreciate the scholarship won. That warms my heart.

I slept most of the day away. I think the shopping trip yesterday caught up with me. Brother.  :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

Oh, I suppose the salad had chopped walnuts, sweet pickled onions, 2 leaves of lettuce, one spinach leaf, Gouda cheese, & I have no clue what the red sauce was, it was sweet & I didn’t eat it. 

I’m a stuffed salad person...  

After coming home, we went to the eye doctor for my annual checkup.  No, I don’t need new glasses, really?  No problem, he asked if I had any other concerns. I mentioned my double/triple occasional vision. He checked my corneas.... small cataracts attached to the corneas. Eventually, I will need surgery to replace the corneas.   :gaah:  I guess I need to get busy and finish the artwork I’m working on. Sure explains a lot.  :faint3:

Spent the the rest of the day, preparing to install Mom’s sprinkler system tomorrow. 

• Sad 3
On 4/18/2019 at 6:45 AM, TheCG said:
On 4/18/2019 at 12:16 AM, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider ...Kindle works just fine if you push the right buttons  :happy0203:

I've had one freeze up on me a while back.  Turned it off and back on, same issue.  I just left it on the charger overnight, and when I went back to it the next morning, it acted like it had never had any issues. 

Yes, TheCG, I've found that to be a magic 'cure' too. Turned my laptop off X4 recently.  [it's getting fouled up]    ....but my problem was I only THOT I was turning the Kindle off.  :scratchhead:  I'm not as used to devices as the average 3rd grader.  :rolleyes:   So now I'll make sure to turn it off each night.  It had a few updates when I turned it back on the first time. 

Bottom line with all these electronic devices:  They're great until they aren't.....and.....They Cheat!  :pout:  ;)     {not gonna mention "Operator Error"}

Pssst, Jeepers.  "Waking up" means it's been in sleep mode, not OFF.  {I think}  :lol:  I've only turned it OFF once now. 

Threw. An.  Iguana?  What kind of shock would that be?   Can you even IMAGINE how nuts folks would be in a Post-Hooey world if they're that nuts now????   :sassing:   At least the iguana is getting medial care and hopefully a new home!

Annarchy, your main course looks goof but the salad looks like lunch for a 3 yr old.  :scratchhead:   Something related to an artist's palette rather than food tasting palate.  [yes I had to look up how to spell each of those!  hee hee ]  Well, it was for a good cause and was greatly appreciated.  :thumbs:  

MtRider  :offtobed: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

It is a great cause, Mt_Rider, helping the community as many ways as we can. The young lady that received last years scholarship, was there & introduced this years outstanding academic student who received it.   

I don’t know why, but this time at our meeting, I was acutely aware of the age of our group.  At least half, if not more, are over 80, several are in their 90’s. I can’t help but hope, when I get to their age, I will be as active and alert.  They are a great group of Ladies. 

Installed all the hoses and sprinklers, yesterday. Forgot to screw one together tightly & got soaked tightening it down, stood up from adjusting another, while watching where my feet were, smacked my head squarely into a large tree branch. I saw stars and fell flat on my back. I bet it would have made a hilarious YouTube video.  I sorta quit for the day after that. 

Today, it’s fine tuning the sprinklers, hedge and frost damage trimming to do. Then, I need to get a couple of supplies. 

Time to get at it....

:bouquet:

• Like 1
On 4/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, Annarchy said:

Unplugging my Win 10 overnight has resolved most of my issues too, TheCG. :scratchhead:

Poor iguana...people are mean... :motz_6:

One Lady met us at our house, & we picked up the other Lady & headed to the meeting at the Culinary college.  Caught a train & had to go around and arrived a few minutes late.  We are usually really early. :sigh:

The young Lady that received the scholarship, cried. She said she is the first person in her whole family ever to go to college. 

And our lunch....  salad.... green chili stuffed chicken with a cream sauce on rice, with a couple fried onions, blanched beets, a lightly blanched potato stick & carrot stick... & desert...   I’ve never ever ever seen a salad like that!  They didn’t give me that desert, because I’m allergic to strawberries. I got a small piece of chocolate fudged creamed cake. 

D896A705-8DDE-4CDB-AABE-BA2D47C2D74E.jpeg

06B6AF62-868F-4957-BA3F-A50DD7144637.jpeg

CCF2E84D-9B24-4599-A611-08EC5DD5F334.jpeg

I'd starve!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Playing catch up.  The day we were loading the TT to leave for some R&R I walked in the house and heard water.  Drated water heater was leaking from around the controls!  Called hubby and he turned around and came back home.  Turned off water...and continued on our business!  Truly enjoy the couple of days "away" from all the stress around here...but when we got into cell phone reception got a text that my dad was in hospital, not doing good.  Just grabbed our absolutes from the TT and left the frig on propane/gas and headed to the hospital.  He was having a major heart attack and pneumonia was trying to set in.  Doc said "he'll get better or he won't"...we're doing everything we can.  Dad has 5 stints and a pace maker...and the pain was so bad they were giving him morph.  Got a call Thurs. about midnight from hospital (my stepmum lives an hour away from this hospital) so off we went again...and stayed until 3 or so.  Then back up Friday afternoon and brothers were there so we only stayed about 30 minutes.  He was doing very well!  Needed to get started unloading our TT and go looking for a new water heater.  Golly those things are pricey!  Ouch to the credit card :-(  Today he was very much improved according to step mum, even had his lunch in the recliner, but he's being terrible to step mum, accusing her of all kinds of things.  He's really not entitled to treat her that way even if he's mixed up and has dementia!  He's really too much for her to handle, and should be in a care facility...and I told her so.  Told her today we wouldn't be up there at all, just HAD to get this water heater hooked up...and we did.  The kitchen is a total disaster...the water heater sits in a corner behind a lattice work folding panel.  The microwave cabinet is in the middle of the room, the dishwasher is in front of one side of my sink, the frig is almost blocking the door to the LR...can you imagine!?  BUT I've again got water and hot water.  Didn't have any water all day and have been heating water in my t-pots to wash dishes and took our showers via garden sprayer (heated water of course), so it will feel good to take a LONG hot shower!  Including a picture that I took out the front of our TT...so relaxing!  The couple we camped with were a hoot!  They had us over for hamburgers (I snuck a picture of the host dishing them up for us!) the first night and then we played a game called "Washer Toss" two nights and really enjoyed it.  Hubby's going to make us a set, we so enjoyed it.  

101_1054.JPG

101_1055.JPG

101_1056.JPG

101_1057.JPG

101_1058.JPG

• Like 3

Lol WE2, sounds like DH’s comment, “...did you stop & get a burger on the way home....”. :008Laughing:  I figured we got the “art” part of the Culinary Arts Department. 

Sorry about your Dad & the water heater issue. 

Fine tuned MIL’s sprinkles and trimmed the hedges in the front of her house. Then, worked on trimming all the frost damage off her lantana in the flower beds. Removed and transplanted a bunch of the over growing aloe vera. Hid most of the sprinkler hoses, pulled some weeds before having to quit because I couldn’t get any more into her roll off dumpster bin.

We went to the store, got her a bunch of supplies and DH’s sausage, that we can only find here.  Dinner was What-a-Burger and we ended the day watching news, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and Live PD.

Tomorrow I head home...time to get some sleep :offtobed:   🛏   💤 

• Like 1

Happy Easter!

Happy Resurrection Day!

Good Morning,

It’s time to re-pack & head home. The weather forecast seemed fair, mid 50’s to start, 90’s by the afternoon, with minimal winds.   

Hoping everyone has a Blessed day!

• Like 1

Have a safe and uneventful trip, Annarchy.

:pray:  WE2....so sorry you all are having an deluge of difficulties.  Bet you felt like you were trying to be in three places at once.  Know the feeling when my folks have issues.  Good thing MrWE2 is so experienced with repair/installation.  We'd be waiting on "someone" to come and do the job.  All your prepper adaptions made life doable tho!  Hope the situation for your dad is resolved....the heart and dementia.  We're getting to know that one here too.  :(  So very sad and distressing!  

Sunny.....cloudy....sunny  ....the usual.  Some parts might get rain/sleet/snow.  Might be us or might not.  Springtime in the Rockies. 

MtRider  Happy Easter everyone.  :amen: 

• Like 1

Hope everyone had a glorious Resurrection day, yesterday. Most of our family is still living in the same state, so we only put on about 350 miles yesterday. Mom was exhausted at the end but seemed happy and content to see great and great-grandchildren. I keep saying each year that it will be her last, but she keeps plugging on.  :grinning-smiley-044:

We will be moving Mom on Friday to a little less independent retirement complex. I doubt if she will use all the activities they provide but she will be with friends from her church. We've been packing her for weeks, and she has about 2/3 more than the apartment will hold. I keep telling her that a train wreck is coming, but she waves me off and doesn't think about it. She has little concept of time and space anymore.  :0327:  Makes me want to have another auction at our place so we can start over. We've done it before and I find it refreshing after dealing with others who can barely walk among their stuff. It's definitely an american thing.  :imoksmiley:

Edited by Homesteader
  • Like 2

@Annarchy

How's your head feeling?  I'm just getting back here after taking a break.

Went to Church yesterday (no evening service).  Five minutes into service I got a bad earache (usually sinus).  Came home after and rested a little.  A friend gave me a dozen oysters, so I fried them up and made some oven bbq chicken and a green bean salad.  Boy were those oysters good!

Room mate made lasagna (3 pans) for DH and him, so they are working on that.

Today is laundry day and will be raking up the garden again after Friday's flooding (again).  I'll finally plant tomorrow or Wednesday and then more rain Thursday, but hopefully not as much or fast.  Peanut will get a bath either today or tomorrow as she's smelling a little like a hamster.  

Not much else going on.  Will be glad to finally get garden going!  Will you be getting moved soon, Jeepers?  Time goes so fast, doesn't it?

Naw Miki, moving is so slow when you are old and all alone.  :sigh:

I had errands planed for today but didn't get many of them done. I think everything is closing down.

The Lube Stop close to me is closed. So I went to another one about 10 miles away. It was good because the last K-Mart in my area is just up the street from Lube Stop. Got to the Lube Stop and its gone too. There is a different brand in there but I went in to get my oil changed anyway. They are lousy.They didn't check anything except what was under the hood and the air in the tires. Lube Stop oiled your doors, checked all of your lights and would change them etc. They also did E-checks. Bummer.

After that I went less a mile up to K-Mart. They always carry a brand of shorts each summer that I love. Thin-ish denim and around $6.00 each. Well guess what? That K-Mart is closed down too. I only know of one other K-Mart about 20 miles from me in another county. It's by Hobby Lobby and I've been wanting to go there anyway so I'll try them tomorrow. I don't even know if that K-Mart is even still open.

So, because I had to wait so long to get in the bay to get the oil changed and was on the other side of town, I didn't get my Jeep E-checked, new tags for the Jeep, trash recycled or shorts. I also wanted to get a ball hitch installed on it from U-Haul. Wonder if I need an appointment to get a hitch put on?

Tomorrow is another day but its supposed to rain all day with storms.

• Sad 3

Water heater safely installed.  Appliances back in place.  Threw out LOTS of stuff in cabinets so I've got more room (and not to re-fill the space!) for the things I use most.  Hubby started new work project for a client but did get the a/c back together in my van and turned it around, nose into the garage, and started working on the rusted places above the windshield.  I'll be facing LOADS of laundry tomorrow from our trip and what we've used since home.  Dad's up and down.  Being really awful.  Hospital called this evening and wanted me to talk to him, to try and calm him down.  He says they're holding him hostage against his will.  I think I was able to settle him a bit.  They're planning to move him to a nursing home for some physical therapy.  He'll be able to stay there 100 days as long as he's making progress.  He's been made aware that he's going to a place to help him get stronger.  It's very difficult dealing with someone you love who's going through such dementia.  Hostility, distrust, confusion and probably fear.  Lord Jesus...have mercy on a soul that's being tortured by ill-health...amen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
6 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

It's very difficult dealing with someone you love who's going through such dementia.  Hostility, distrust, confusion and probably fear.  Lord Jesus...have mercy on a soul that's being tortured by ill-health...amen.

I hear you loud and clear, WE2.  :(  Taking it day by day here too.  :hug3:  

Today was sunny and warm....then cloudy and gloomy.  Next time I looked out it was deep fog.  :scratchhead:  Then began to graupel...turning to rain....then snow......  Then it all stopped and melted.  Ever-changing kaleidoscope of weather. 

MtRider  ...Springtime in the Rockies.  :wacko: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I hear you loud and clear, WE2.  :(  Taking it day by day here too.  :hug3:  

Same here WE2 and Mt_Rider. It's hard seeing parents lose their facilities.  :(  My mom is starting to forget to the point where I am the person in the wrong. I'm seeing where the children need back-up support, especially in financial decisions for the parent. I don't want to get blamed for things my mom decided on, and I only carried them out for her.   B)  We're praying she likes the new apt with several other friends in the same retirement center. She keeps saying that she wants to be around people her age so they can talk about the Depression. Then I take her to her age group and she says they're too old.  :0327:

• Sad 5

Homesteader, MIL also, has said she doesn’t want to live in a center, because everyone is old.  :blink:

I guess, we show them as much love as we can, doing the best we can to make them comfortable.  

Snapshotmiki, my bump on the head is doing well. Minor headache and sensitivity to touch, but, otherwise, fine. 

The trip home was mostly uneventful, strong winds kept me on high alert. 

DH & a dear friend... replaced the outside washer hot/cold faucets, while I was in TX.   The faucets were horrible, coated in lime, missing the handles. Turning the main water off was the only way to stop the water flow.  They were originally installed in the 1950’s.  Then, the guys replaced the kitchen shut off valve and installed a new faucet!  DH had told me on the phone, they were doing “man things”.  :wub:  It’s so nice not to hear the drip in the kitchen sink. I was going to replace the faucet, but, had to wait until after my trip JIC something didn’t go as planned. 

Unpacked & ran some laundry, but, otherwise rested yesterday. I was surprised how tender my muscles were. 

Sun is up, birds are singing and I have a lot on my ToDo list. Time to get motivated..

• Like 3

I'm so sorry you guys are going through the dementia issues with your parents. I only had one parent growing up and she died when she was 38 years old. And I'm an only child so I don't foresee me having to deal with it. Other than possibly myself. I watched my grandmother go through it though and it was heartbreaking. But then again she had daughters to make her decisions and I was spared that. It's funny that you mention it. Just last night I finished a book about an Alzheimer patient. I don't know why I'm so drawn to those books.

It seems to always fall on the daughters shoulders to take over. Some women are stuck in the 'sandwich generation." They work away from home, still have children in the home and have parents to take care of. Bless them.

Each and every one of you have my heartfelt prayers for wisdom to know what to do, patience to follow through and peace of mind knowing you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation.  :pray:

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Each and every one of you have my heartfelt prayers for wisdom to know what to do, patience to follow through and peace of mind knowing you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation.  :pray:

We're all in this together.  :grouphug:

• Like 3

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you all are doing well.  

Jeepers, I am sure you will get moved just fine, in your own time.  I can only imagine how many memories you are reminiscing through, as you pack & downsize.  You’re doing great.

Glad you got your water heater installed, WE2.  That’s a hard job.  We have had to replace ours several times. :yuk:

Mt_Rider, you’re weather sounds like it can never make up its mind.  Ours is so predictable.  Hot, wind, hot, wind, more hot...... lol 

Good grief!  You remember I mentioned planting butternut squash a couple weeks ago?  Well, I noticed yesterday, a crack in the soil, hoping it might be a seed sprouting, I went out to check it this morning and it was.  “Was” is the key word there.  There is a nice neat little hole there now, with 2 little leaves on the ground next to it.  I’m betting, one of the starlings amused itself.... brat!

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement Annarchy! Greatly appreciated.  :hug3:

Oh those starlings. Dirty Birds. That's what they do. One year we had a garden at my in-laws and all the way down the row of the green bean plants, the stems were snipped off and on the ground. They didn't even eat them or carry them away for a midnight snack. Thankfully, it was early in the season and we were able to replant. We really needed that food that year too.

I'm on my way out the door and headed for K-Mart and the Hobby Lobby in the county south of me. Hopefully K-Mart is still there. I'd like to stop by the craft store and see if I can find a clear narrow case. I know Hobby Lobby is a craft store but I imagine they are expensive on that stuff. Anyway, I'd like to try to plant a few carrot seeds in it so you can watch the roots/carrot grow. I know you can buy them for that purpose but they are very very small and expensive for what they are. Or maybe go to the pet store and look for a 1 gal. aquarium. Possibly Old Time Pottery. They have all kinds of neat containers and bowls for cheap. Too bad our Dollar Tree is so small.

Then swing by and get my Jeep E-Checked. Probably won't have time to get the tags. Hope they don't give me a hassle about having an Indiana drivers license trying to license a car in Ohio. But you know how it goes with me.  <_<

The thumb that I stubbed into the side of the car door looks so ugly. The bruise is dark black and follows the nail across underneath right at the end like where you would clean your nail. It looks like I have dirt caked up all under there. But, I'm not going to lose the nail so I won't complain...much.

Usually my errands are near each other or in a line but today they are going to be spread out so I'd best get going. 

I could use a hair cut BAD but that would entail washing it first and whose got time for that crap. Perks of living alone and shopping in another county. I'm starting to look like cousin Itt. 

• Like 2