MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Very limited computer use.  Can barely read through broken screen.  Am shipping computer for repaisr in the morning.

• Sad 3

Vacuum sealed the rest of the rolled oats for safe keeping.  Ended up with 6 1/2 half gallon jars.  I had already used a lot of it when I made up the granola and the oat treats for Abby.  Not bad for 6.49$ for 15 pounds oats. Love buying bulk! Added dissicents and used my brake bleeder contraption so I got a good work out with my hands, arms, and uh...some other areas that keep wanting to head south! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Step mum "gave" us her small chest, she's minimizing since Daddy passed.  Then she's selling us her very nice electric grain mill ... or she'll take it out in trade when hubby does the painting on the inside of the house for her.  He finished up his other work project today so he'll rest a day or two and then take on that project.  Our 10th anniversary is this month so we'll probably eat out some place.  The weather is supposed to be way too hot and humid for camping and when we go "day tripping" we always end up spending dollars we don't need to spend. Got his work shirts washed and line dried, brought in and folded and he put them away.  Need to change the bedding...always wifey chores available any time I want to do them! LOL

• Like 3

Wow, Miki.  You have really been diligent about this!  And it sounds like you make such good meals.  Looking very good, friend!!!  :hug3: 

If I could keep away from the sweets.......  :behindsofa:    Ahem.....

We rained again today.  Not any downpour but gentle.  Actually, that's unusual here.  Usual is CRASH/BANG/BOOM/GUSH/POUR/HAIL.....  :rolleyes:  

....pray for my folks this week, please.  They're getting the new dryer  [w/o prairie dog] Tuesday.  On Wed. my dad will be installing [with help] the new exhaust tube.  He's STRESSSSSSSING. 

Also his anemia is flared up again.  Who knows if he's taking the iron pills.  Told my mom to "investigate" - don't ask cuz he won't know.  Doc on Friday will ask if he is.  I will be traveling over to city with them - using the Senior van.  Hope it rains and is cool enough for me.  Or my "brains" will be of no use to them for comprehending/remembering what the doc says.  That's my role.  Was and should be DH's role if my dad didn't opt him out of any role due to dementia.  Ach, it's challenging to just survive lately.  :cheeky-smiley-067:

MtRider  :(  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow Miki. You are so darn cute!!! You look younger now too but more importantly I'll bet you feel a lot better. Way to go with your bad self girl!  :cele:

I've never had an estimate on getting a house painted inside but I've heard it is VERY expensive. Like a couple of thousand expensive. So don't let Mr. We2 sell himself short. If she had to pay a non family member to do it she might be surprised. I know I was stunned when someone said it was going to cost them $5,000.00 to have their inside painted. To be fair, I don't know how big of a job it was but dang. I mentioned it to D-Ex and he said that sounded about right to him. No way could/would I do that. An electric grain mill would be an awesome trade!

Sorry about your computer Ambergris. It took me an hour to get mine to come on last night. Not online. Just to get the desktop to come on. I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon. Sigh.

My UTI (TMI) is about the same. But not worse. I'm drinking a lot to try to flush out. I got some milk yesterday and I ate a quarter of a watermelon today. Not all at once but I could have. It was good. I didn't get any cranberry juice. Maybe I should have but most of it is a mixture of cran-apple or cran-grape or cran-blueberry. Or only 10% juice. I got tired of standing there reading labels. I'm not a fan of the juice anyway. So I got some cranberry capsules instead. Two caps of 30,000mg each a day of the horse pills. :shrug:  I didn't notice they were that big.

My back and side are hurting too. My back always hurts so its hard for me to tell if its arthritis or kidney related. I'm thinking kidney. I'm keeping close tabs on it. When I was 15 I had a bad kidney infection and stones. I missed over 2 months of school. It sort of feels the same way only not as bad. :sigh:  

• Sad 2

Mt. Rider, we were posting at the same time. Will pray for your dear dad. It has to be so difficult on everyone. :(

Can you take a little tape recorder in with you? Most doctors don't mind that now especially when it comes to memory issues. Most smart phones can record. My old tracfone doesn't do anything but call in and call out so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

You have really been diligent about this! 

Thanks, Mt. Rider and thank you all for your support!  Went from 232 to 149 as of today.  There has been so much involved in doing this mentally, spiritually and physically.  I know I will always be challenged to a degree and can never just go back to eating what I want like I used to.  

• Like 3

It was hot today and going to get hotter the rest of the week. I thought I was hearing fireworks from downtown Cleveland but no, it's thunder. We don't need any more rain. Cleveland often has fireworks after an indians baseball game. Ten miles away we can hear them rumble 

I might have to break down and go to the doctor next week for my kidney situation.  I don't wanna go. They will poke and prod until they find something wrong. Then ask about my blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar level. And am I exercising. I don't want to hear it.  

Fifty years ago I had this happen. The old country doctor made a house call. He said he was on his way home and would stop by. Those were the days, huh. He made me do a sit-up. If I could do a set-up it wasn't my appendix. Nice diagnosticals back then. I can still remember my stepdad complaining about the prescription costing him $5.00. I THINK it was sulfa drugs but not sure. He (doctor) used to sit in his office leaning way back in his chair with his foot tucked up under him with his eyes closed smoking away at a cigarette while he listened to you. He held it like it was pot. Who knows. Good old Dr. McKee. They say he ended up in a mental institution after his wife killed herself. Good times in small town Indiana in the 1950-1960's. I can remember stuff like that but can't remember what I did last week. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hope Ambergris can use computer soon.  What's next at her LOCATION??  :pc_coffee: 

Mouse count:  2 on glue board.  1 lil' one stuck in kitchen trash can.  Then was the one that ZOOMED under door and into my closet.  I keep the sweet potatoes in there but don't have any right now.  [So they're in the dark but not too chilly down in basement. ]  Found a nice mousey hang-out on top of a [fortunately] old pair of shorts that I could just trash.  Some other things under the shorts, in that basket that can just get washed. 

Later I saw the bag wiggle again.  OK, enough is enough.  This is just a plastic grocery bag, hung on the curtain [clothespin] within reach of my bed.  Holds my peppermint Lifesavers [stomach issues] and my lemon drops [throat or enjoy].  A mostly empty sleeve of soda crackers [stomach].  Has a small bottle of Nuprin and one of Tylenol.  Has a variety of candies which I never seem to want - inside a washed-out Parmesan cheese container.  Also several small bits of paper towels...cuz I often eat there....bed in chaise lounge position.  We don't have room for any table in cabin.  ANYway....the plastic bag wiggled again and I took the whole thing down and brought it out to porch with a spot light tonite.  No mouse inside but the nasty brats chewed THRU the plastic bag and THRU the sleeve to get at the soda crackers.  :darthduck:  So they never did get INSIDE the grocery bag.  Salvaged everything but the paper towels and the soda crackers.  I moved all the peppermints and lemon drops into plastic containers with lids.  More Parmesan containers.  Everything is now enclosed...which cuts down on smell to entice them. 

:wacko:   Seems like I've done a great job of enticing them.  :gaah:    We had several long months of no mice and now.....  I'll have to figure out where ELSE I have food of any kind.  The Kettle Korn really surprised me cuz I'd completely forgotten it.  :buttercup:    MICE and NO RELIABLE MEMORY TOOOOOO?  :( 

MtRider  ....hoping I find something on the glue boards by morning.  INVASION!  :motz_6:  

• Sad 2

I splurged and upgraded my Kindle to the new waterproof Paperwhite with 32GB of memory yesterday.  After trading in an old one and the discounts and such, under $50.

My priest is suggesting that I join him on a 21-day fast, or whatever parts of it I can handle.  I've been exhausted, stressed out, and having major digestive issues.  I told him everybody else in the office might wish I didn't by about 3 pm.  I have an appointment with an alternative practitioner who generally steers me right at 12:30, so I'm planning to fast until then and see what she thinks of the idea.  But...I'm still drinking my cup of coffee in the morning, or I will be dead by noon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It is hot.  108* by 10:00 am. by noon above 110*, then, when the afternoon sun hits the thermometer, it pegs out above 120*.  Gunny lifts his feet when he stands on the cement.

We got him the bigger wading pool. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we have to empty it after he’s finished, mainly because the honey bees discover it and also because of all the grass & dirt in it. 

I worked, most of the morning, cleaning the shed, again. It seem to collect stuff. Filled the recycle bin and the garbage can, before they picked it up, then, I quit for the day, because, my sweat band started dripping in my eyes.  By then, the spa was empty, so I wiped it down and refilled.  It was nice to relax in spotlessly clean cool water last night. 

DH will be packing tonight to visit his Mom.  IDK what I’m going to do while he’s gone.  Probably too much, lol.  I’ve finished preparing her mini-meals, even though she said she has too much now. Maybe I’ll keep 1/2 here in my freezer until she uses her supplies up.  

• Like 2
On 7/13/2019 at 11:54 PM, kappydell said:

Catching up while I watch Molly B's Polka Party on TV.  Down here, polkas are NOT a common music genre, so I have to tune in to get my fix of German/Swiss/Czech music.  I do enjoy the old fashioned bluegrass though - 

I like bluegrass too when it isn't 'tinny'. I really like Alison Krauss! Especially when she is paired up with Emmylou Harris. In fact I've had "Go To Sleep You Little Baby" stuck in my brain for days on end now. I always enjoyed Ricky Skaggs too. I love all kinds of music. 

Not bluegrass but I've been stuck on K.D. Lang singing Hallelujah too. Love music...hate earworms. 

Edited by Jeepers
Spelling
  • Like 1

Mouse count:  two more from glue boards overnite.  :gaah:  It's a multi-generational invasion cuz kitchen ones are very small.  My bedroom ones are full grown. 

Ahem..  :buttercup:  ..since I was thinking about it, I just checked the 2 locations again and we now have a 3rd dratted critter from kitchen.  It was a full grown.  How many babies do they have....I hate to think,  but we've gotten several.  So.....both areas set up again.  NEXT?  

Did my 1/2 mile walk  [give or take - I don't have pedometer] tonite.  Very pleasant evening.  Cool enough and no rain.  :happy0203:

I wore my REPAIRED jeans.  I began to hand sew a knee patch on these jeans .....long LONG ago.  Meanwhile, I've worn the match to this pair out completely....rips everywhere and beyond patching.  FINALLY I sat down and finished it today!  :bounce:  And dumped the worn pair in wash....then I'll cut out patch material from the not-worn places and toss the rest.   Cross another long-drawn-out project off my LIST!  Whew!

Annarchy, back in the late 70s,  my friend and I traveled with my pickup...camping our way thru western Canada and US.  In southern tip of Utah we hit our hottest.  Our thermometer only went up to 120*  :wacko:   We spent the day sitting in a stream, reading.  When we were on the road [no A/C in that old time truck] we had to roll the windows UP.  Felt like a HOT hair dryer was blowing in.  :knary:   My friend went hyperthermic that day and dropped the costly eggs we'd just purchased.  To the stream for her!  Malama pono in your heat, friend!  ["Take good care" in Hawaiian.]

MtRider  :wave: 

Wow. It's pouring down rain so hard today...again. Glad I didn't try to garden this year because I would have been very frustrated and defeated. Poor Midwest farmers.  Sigh.  Poor consumers pocketbooks. 

• Sad 2

The property managers J & B have tried and tried to 'plug the leaks'.  It's been a never-ending story in an old log cabin.  It keeps settling more / different with the seasons.  If they called an exterminator, they'd use poison I wouldn't like and the company would keep coming back ...cuz the mice always do.  Ick. 

Each time we think maybe we've plugged their access......nope.  We had about 7 months rodent-free when we began to use the poison and got rid of the resident population.  Then last month, they got in again....and multiplied.  When .....IF......we ever get out of here, they will have to do some stuff like re-chinking from the inside.  I refuse to make room for them to do that while we're in residence.  Could do from outside.  They'll also have to do the flooring cuz we're still on the same carpet......which is kinda good cuz we certainly won't get charged for any damage from BIG dogs and old cats.  It's actually held up well.  I would put in this exact carpet again if I had a choice for carpet!!  But that process will reveal some mouse access areas from garage underneath.  It's basically a highway and if there are any down there, they are up here.  Might help/might not. 

Two more juveniles on one glue board under kitchen sink this morning.  :buttercup:  I didn't hear any in my room all day or this morning.  :)  

I did talk to J yesterday and got to tell her the erosion/flood control efforts ....diversion ditches, etc have COMPLETELY solved that problem. :amen:   Didn't even think to tell her the work to keep mice out in Sept. failed ....again.  :shrug:  Living here has always been an extraordinary challenge.  I do love the creek, pond, pastures.  That's been grande and very rare up here.  But the house and such has been a LOT of extra work for us.  Bittersweet to leave here someday....getting more sweet tho. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

OMG Miki!  What an inspiration for me!

• Thanks 1
On 7/14/2019 at 7:07 PM, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Kappy,  what do you do to dehydrate the squash? 

I cook them in the micro until soft, scoop out the flesh (or skin, depending on which is easier) then puree the cooked flesh in the blender until smooth.  Spread the puree out on the sheets for leather in my dehydrator and dry at 125 or so until dry and brittle.  Peel off the sheets, grind dry in the blender to a powder.  Put in jar with an oxy absorber.  All you need for fresh cooked puree is to add boiling water to some powder and wait a bit.

I like my squash pureed, so I do it that way.  The powder takes very little space compared to the original squash that a quart jar lasts me a looooong time!

I have seen the squash ships & such on the internet but I want long term storage so I avoid any recipe that adds fat, at least until I cook my squash up with butter!

When the squash got done, I did some sweet yellow banana peppers, green pepper dices, okra & snap beans.  Not a lot of any one of them, but it adds up if I do whatever gets picked day to day that we dont immediately eat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My alternative medicine lady told me that you really need functioning adrenals to fast, and I don't have that.  To the point where she is pondering how I actually function.  I told her sheer stubbornness.  :24:  

Basically...I have enough energy to fake it through work (not firing on all cylinders, but still productive enough to keep all the balls in the air), but when I'm done, I'm done and pretty much have nothing left.  I'm also not digesting food (which I already knew), so I'm sure that helps.  About 15 pounds of the 40 I've gained in the last year after going to work full-time are probably from inflammation, so we're working on figuring out what's triggering that (she thinks I'm probably getting exposed to mold somewhere - I'm highly allergic to most kinds).  

Working on supplementation and a few other things.

FYI - I go to alternative medicine practitioners rather than a doctor because the doctors out here either suck to the point that they misdiagnose thrush as strep (yeah, antibiotics are not the answer for fungal infections) or do very very expensive concierge care.  I haven't found an in between yet.  We pretty much only go to the doctor when we absolutely have to.

• Like 2

DH had doc appts. yesterday and today (today's in a town an hour and a half away). Stopped at thrift shops after. And then salvage grocery, then home. Made oatmeal and then teriyaki drumsticks in the instant pot. Just got done cleaning up at 9:15 tonight. Chicken still cooking. Also did a load of laundry today. 
Yesterday, after we got home from docs, I dug up the rest of the potatoes in garden, cut some okra and butternut squash and planted spinach and lettuce where potatoes were. And a load of laundry.

• Like 1

TheCG.....you might want to research Adrenal Fatigue.  aka...burned-out adrenal glands.  If it's that, your 'sheer stuborness' eventually won't work and you'll be much further from healing when you reach that point. 

MtRider  ....ask me how I know.  BTDT

• Like 2